What Away game 2019 would you attend

I am going to the Rutgers game. I don't care about them as an opponent and I assume that we'll win comfortably, but I've never been to NYC and I'm using this as an excuse to go there.

I am doing the same. Probably going to NYC on Wednesday or Thursday and then home on Sunday. Take in some sights, visit my cousin and gopher football.

Iowa fans are much better hosts than they are visitors

So true. I’ve had a good time going to Iowa City and plan to go again this year. Will probably make it to NW as well. Last time we bought tickets for $6 each.

If the Gophers get to Pasadena, I will be the first person to sign up. There is no way I miss that. I went to a Rose Bowl parade in the early 90s when a relative worked at Cal Tech and it was amazing. I'd sit at the Corner of Colorado and Madison with a stuffed Badger hanging from a noose on the light pole. That would be awesome to be there cheering on the Gophers.

If the Gophers get to Pasadena, I will be the first person to sign up. There is no way I miss that. I went to a Rose Bowl parade in the early 90s when a relative worked at Cal Tech and it was amazing. I'd sit at the Corner of Colorado and Madison with a stuffed Badger hanging from a noose on the light pole. That would be awesome to be there cheering on the Gophers.

See you there.... hopefully soon.

I'll be heading to the Purdue game this fall. It's a bit of a drive from Minneapolis coming in at 7 and a half. The game's in September so hopefully the weather cooperates. If Purdue is too far, then I would recommend Iowa.
Purdue...or should I say...East Gary. What a dump of a town. Makes St Cloud look like a world class city.

Went to Purdue in 2017 and it was underwhelming but still a good time. I'll likely head to Iowa this year. Heard good things there.

Also early vote for Nebraska next year. A very cool experience as a visiting fan.

Can you elaborate a bit on how it was underwhelming? What would you have done differently to make the experience better?

I am going to the Rutgers game. I don't care about them as an opponent and I assume that we'll win comfortably, but I've never been to NYC and I'm using this as an excuse to go there.

Nice! I did that last year. Went to Maryland, then D.C., then NYC. You may not have to rent a car. I am not sure if the how close the trains get to Piscataway, N.J. though. Staying In Manhattan, Brooklyn?, other? We stayed in Brooklyn. It was a short train ride to Manhattan for us (Wife and I).

That would be my #1 choice as well. Regarding the topic, I am aiming for the Fresno State game. It will be a long shot, but there is a remote chance.

Iowa is a possibility as well.

Fresno State is the obvious choice since we may never play out there again.

Barring that, Iowa is the clear decision. Iowa City is a super fun town with a great party atmosphere, Kinnick is an awesome place to watch a game, and we should have a chance to win down there for the first time in 20 years. Plus it's a really easy drive.

As for Northwestern...Ryan Field is pretty dilapidated (amentity wise) and the atmosphere is really lacking, but tickets are cheap and the sight lines are very good. You can get in the door for super cheap and sit damn near where ever you want. Evanston itself is a nice/leafy suburb and campus, but the nightlife is really lacking. There are a couple of decent pubs/bars in town but you'll probably want to head down to Chicago for 1 night.

Purdue...I'm planning on going back this season for the 2nd time ever (saw a win in 2008), but West Lafayette unfortunately lives up (or down, more accurately) to its reputation. Ross-Ade is a decent stadium though and hopefully it'll be a fun trip since they have more excitement in the Brohm era.

Have never been to Rutgers, and don't have much desire to do so (fake B1G team).

Nice! I did that last year. Went to Maryland, then D.C., then NYC. You may not have to rent a car. I am not sure if the how close the trains get to Piscataway, N.J. though. Staying In Manhattan, Brooklyn?, other? We stayed in Brooklyn. It was a short train ride to Manhattan for us (Wife and I).

Planning to stay in Brooklyn. According to my research, we can take the train as far as Edison, NJ, then pick up an Uber to take us the 15-20 minutes remaining to the stadium.

You can pretty much assume you don't "need" a car in any city on the east coast.

The Rutgers stadium (Highpoint.com Stadium) is a 2 mile walk/cab/Uber from New Brunswick station (NJ Transit and Amtrak), or on game day there is a free shuttle.

https://scarletknights.com/sports/2017/6/11/facilities-directions-stadium-html.aspx

Gophers @ Purdue on Saturday
Vikings @ Bears on Sunday
If you are in to both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume Indy too? Doing Fresno and will book Indy and SoCal in a NY minute...

You can never go wrong by picking Iowa City. I have never had a bad time in Iowa City and the point made earlier about the Iowa City fans being much better than the idiots wearing Iowa colors that show up (in much smaller numbers than they used to) in Minneapolis is very true.

If I could pull off a trip this year, I'd be temped by Fresno, but would probably follow the DP68 plan and head to Rutgers. NYC is always a good place to spend a few days and I have heard New Jersey has some redeeming qualities as well, despite the generalizations that are not flattering.

Purdue does nothing for me, but I might just bit the bullet and drive to Evanston this year. As miserable as the in stadium environment always seems to be on TV, it cannot be that bad especially with a full Friday in Chicago to make it all better.

I will be attending my first game in iowa city this year. Last year was my first in madison so hoping i can bring some more good luck. Couple of my buddies have made the trip to IA before and absolutley loved it.

Same for our group of 7. Got a VRBO booked near Gramercy park. Some have been there before, first time for my wife and myself, plan to go Wednesday come back Monday.

How about visiting Savannah Georgia in 2023 or 2024

Last edited:

Iowa in a landslide. We hate the Hawks but it's a great atmosphere for college football. Fresno State?? Why not stop in Boise on the way back and get the 2fer dumptown special.

Iowa in a landslide. We hate the Hawks but it's a great atmosphere for college football. Fresno State?? Why not stop in Boise on the way back and get the 2fer dumptown special.

AS good an atmosphere here in the the fall of 2023 or 2024?

http://www.presidentsquarters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/forsyth-fountain-savannah.jpg

River Street. All bars and restaurants
https://www.historictours.com/savannah/images/savannah-river-street.jpg

Market Street Bars, Restaurants and art
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/68/1b/7a/filename-img-1136-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

I mentioned in another poll a list of things to consider:

1. Frequency of play: The Gophers play at Purdue, Iowa and Northwestern every other year. You miss this year, pretty easy to catch next time. The Gophers play at Rutgers at least once every 6 years, so less common, but doable if you miss. They may never play at Fresno State again in our lifetimes.

2. Surrounding areas: Rutgers you get NYC and Philly (not a fan of Philly personally, but to each their own). Purdue or NW you get Chicago. Fresno you get Sequoia and King's Canyon National Parks, San Francisco or Monterrey/Santa Cruz. Iowa you get meth country.

3. Friends/relatives in the area: We have relatives in Connecticut, so there is a draw for us to go to Rutgers.

4. Is there an area you've never been/always wanted to go? I've never been to NYC area or northern CA. Been to Chicago several times. Been to IA City enough (at one visit).

5. Do you have any friends going to one of the games? We have several friends going to Rutgers.

For us, the answer is probably Rutgers. I'd like to do Fresno, but I don't see it happening.

Philly is a burning refuse heap. I had the misfortune of living there for three months. There are spots on the north side (and south side) where you'd swear you were in a 3rd world country.

Philly is a burning refuse heap. I had the misfortune of living there for three months. There are spots on the north side (and south side) where you'd swear you were in a 3rd world country.

reminds me of the south and west sides of chicago.

What, pray tell, does that have to do with atmosphere for a college football game? And if I'm visiting a southern coastal city, Charleston > Savannah.

What, pray tell, does that have to do with atmosphere for a college football game? And if I'm visiting a southern coastal city, Charleston > Savannah.

I find this GSU blowhard quite annoying, but Savannah is an AWESOME city to visit.

Savannah would be your host city outside of Georgia Southern in Statesboro Ga. You would probably fly into Savanah International the day before. When I use to go to away games I wanted to see the good fans and atmosphere in the town/city that was hosting GSU. I had as much fun at an away game the night before as at the away game tailgate.

Same for our group of 7. Got a VRBO booked near Gramercy park. Some have been there before, first time for my wife and myself, plan to go Wednesday come back Monday.

Coincidentally, our group of seven is also going to Rutgers. ;) We were just informed last night our VRBO is no longer available. Looking anew for lodging for seven Gopher fans.

Coincidentally, our group of seven is also going to Rutgers. ;) We were just informed last night our VRBO is no longer available. Looking anew for lodging for seven Gopher fans.

I hate when that happens :(

Iowa. Been to every game in Iowa City since 2001 and have yet to see a Gopher win. It's happening this year.

Top Bottom