Jeff Brohm signs 7 years, $36.8 million contract

The veterans: Ferentz, Chryst, Fitzgerald

The young guns: Fleck, Frost, Brohm

The wild card: Smith

The veterans will eventually retire.

Of the young guns, it seems unlikely that more than one or at most two will succeed long-term.

I like our chances.

I would say the “styles” of the coaches, and perhaps more so the recruiting “styles”, fit the categories you have.

Don’t think Lovie will last. And would like to see ILL hire a young(ish) up-and-comer headcoach from the G5. That’s the correct way to do it, in my opinion.

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I disagree (respectfully) with your premise.

If Minnesota had finished with the same record as Purdue last year, and if the Gophers had been utterly and thoroughly embarrassed in their bowl game (as Purdue certainly was), I doubt there would be much of a clamor for Fleck to get paid immediately.

In fact, Fleck has his team on the upswing, and we stomped our top rival for the first time in forever, yet there hasn't been much of a hue and cry on GopherHole to give P. J. a giant contract.

Auburn was probably the best 8-5 team in the country, better than their record. Yes, Purdue should have played better and obviously they weren’t ready for prime time but inconsistent play and weaknesses exploitable by good teams with good coaches are the hallmark of average teams. We understand how much the Gophers changed for the better after a few players were changed on offense (Faalele and Morgan) and the change in DC on defense. Can we extend similar benefit of the doubt to Brohm? High highs, low lows. Sounds familiar. How can you say they aren’t much improved under Brohm and the future looks bright?

None of this takes away from PJ and our own bright prospects but I’m sensing that from some of you. You want PJ to get the same acclaim (until he does and other teams come sniffing).

Auburn was probably the best 8-5 team in the country, better than their record. Yes, Purdue should have played better and obviously they weren’t ready for prime time but inconsistent play and weaknesses exploitable by good teams with good coaches are the hallmark of average teams. We understand how much the Gophers changed for the better after a few players were changed on offense (Faalele and Morgan) and the change in DC on defense. Can we extend similar benefit of the doubt to Brohm? High highs, low lows. Sounds familiar. How can you say they aren’t much improved under Brohm and the future looks bright?

None of this takes away from PJ and our own bright prospects but I’m sensing that from some of you. You want PJ to get the same acclaim (until he does and other teams come sniffing).

I agree that Purdue has improved under Brohm. But I don't think that improvement is enough to warrant making him the third-highest paid coach in the entire B1G.

The veterans: Ferentz, Chryst, Fitzgerald

The young guns: Fleck, Frost, Brohm

The wild card: Smith

The veterans will eventually retire.

<b>Of the young guns, it seems unlikely that more than one or at most two will succeed long-term.</b>

I like our chances.

I would have trouble predicting any of the young guns failing. I think all 3 were/are perfect hires for their respective schools. Smith is really the only questionable coach I see in the West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have trouble predicting any of the young guns failing. I think all 3 were/are perfect hires for their respective schools. Smith is really the only questionable coach I see in the West.

It will be interesting to see it play out.

When I made the list, my attention kept being drawn to Fitzgerald. He seems solid, proven, talented, tested. Even though he's a veteran, he has a youthful, energetic way about him. Heck, he almost looks like he could still play.

Yet Northwestern always seems to fly under the radar.

Purdue has put all their eggs in the basket. Brohm has cashed in on the Ohio State win.

Gophers are going to have to make a decision probably after this season about Fleck, either they are going to extend a year or two here and there and risk losing him to something bigger or attempt to lock him up with a similar type of contract.

Buyout figure(s)? hungan1 is spot on - welcome to the arms race of coaching salaries.

“Mr. President, we must not allow a mine shaft gap!” - General “Buck” Turgidson

It will be interesting how much the U must pay to play keeping PJ here long term. Please have a huge buyout figure as quid pro quo.

Last edited:

8-5*

The Louisville situation with their AD and the firings are so messed up, he passed on his Alma Mater. This time.

The Louisville situation with their AD and the firings are so messed up, he passed on his Alma Mater. This time.

Their AD, they put papa johns on as a regent for a while, they hired Bobby Petrino ... all bad choices.

Purdue has put all their eggs in the basket. Brohm has cashed in on the Ohio State win.

Gophers are going to have to make a decision probably after this season about Fleck, either they are going to extend a year or two here and there and risk losing him to something bigger or attempt to lock him up with a similar type of contract.

He was extended another year, I believe, just like last year.

Top Bottom