Jeff Brohm signs 7 years, $36.8 million contract

Wow! What if we win 10 games this year? It'll take $40 million to keep PJ. :cool02:

From the article:

"Brohm's salary in 2019 places him third in the Big Ten behind Michigan's Jim Harbaugh $7.5 million) and Penn State's James Franklin ($5.65 million) for this season, according to USA Today's Steve Berkowitz, who compiles the newspaper's coaches salary database."

Wow.

Brohm is 13-13 with Purdue, and he's now making more than Ferentz, Dantonio, Chryst, Fitzgerald.

The salary Cold War just went nuclear in the B1G West.

Buyout figure(s)? hungan1 is spot on - welcome to the arms race of coaching salaries.

“Mr. President, we must not allow a mine shaft gap!” - General “Buck” Turgidson

They did have the 5th most wins in then B1G West last year

Nuts. Kudos to Brohm and his agent for getting that done.

Not bad for getting utterly annihilated by the Gophers last fall, losing to Eastern Michigan, and losing historically badly in their bowl game.

I think auburn just scored another touchdown

Not bad for getting utterly annihilated by the Gophers last fall, losing to Eastern Michigan, and losing historically badly in their bowl game.

Well, the weather was icky and Purdue didn't want to play. That game should really get an asterisk.

Of course, you could argue that a truly great coach would have had his team fired up and ready to play despite the weather. After all, the cold and rain didn't seem to bother the Gophers.

So this is what losing to Auburn 63-14 in a bowl game will do for ya?

Well I don’t think the Gophers need to worry about Purdue catching up in the West at least!

The contracts are increasingly gross and ridiculous, but that’s a whole ‘nother discussion.

If PJ had brought in the 25th ranked class, beat the #2 team in the nation, beat Iowa twice, beat a few other ranked teams and hugely increased season ticket sales I suspect people would be clamoring to sign him up to a fat contract before somebody else steals him away. Nobody can deny Purdue’s transformation from doormat to competitive even if wildly inconsistent, something we’re not strangers to. Their star seems to be rising although sure, it could all fall apart.

If MN has a big year we’ll be paying the man.

See above, the two stogies have chimed in, where is swingdick?

What part do you disagree with?

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I disagree (respectfully) with your premise.

If Minnesota had finished with the same record as Purdue last year, and if the Gophers had been utterly and thoroughly embarrassed in their bowl game (as Purdue certainly was), I doubt there would be much of a clamor for Fleck to get paid immediately.

In fact, Fleck has his team on the upswing, and we stomped our top rival for the first time in forever, yet there hasn't been much of a hue and cry on GopherHole to give P. J. a giant contract.

The contracts are increasingly gross and ridiculous, but that’s a whole ‘nother discussion.

If PJ had brought in the 25th ranked class, beat the #2 team in the nation, beat Iowa twice, beat a few other ranked teams and hugely increased season ticket sales I suspect people would be clamoring to sign him up to a fat contract before somebody else steals him away. Nobody can deny Purdue’s transformation from doormat to competitive even if wildly inconsistent, something we’re not strangers to. Their star seems to be rising although sure, it could all fall apart.

If MN has a big year we’ll be paying the man.

Well supposedly Louisville almost just stole him away. I think Brohm was just using them to get a raise, and Purdue bought it hook, line, and sinker.

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I disagree (respectfully) with your premise.

If Minnesota had finished with the same record as Purdue last year, and if the Gophers had been utterly and thoroughly embarrassed in their bowl game (as Purdue certainly was), I doubt there would be much of a clamor for Fleck to get paid immediately.

In fact, Fleck has his team on the upswing, and we stomped our top rival for the first time in forever, yet there hasn't been much of a hue and cry on GopherHole to give P. J. a giant contract.

I'm all for locking up PJ for the long term as long as we have an easy out if things go sour.

Buyout figure(s)? hungan1 is spot on - welcome to the arms race of coaching salaries.

“Mr. President, we must not allow a mine shaft gap!” - General “Buck” Turgidson

Huge salary increase borne by season ticket holders paying increases in "scholarship donations"? Purdue better be winning the B1G West on a regular basis. Brohm is not stupid. It's all about the money while you still can command it.

The BT west is going to be a lot of fun the next few years.

The BT west is going to be a lot of fun the next few years.

The veterans: Ferentz, Chryst, Fitzgerald

The young guns: Fleck, Frost, Brohm

The wild card: Smith

The veterans will eventually retire.

Of the young guns, it seems unlikely that more than one or at most two will succeed long-term.

I like our chances.

Top Bottom