STrib: Gophers will play Oklahoma next season in men's basketbal

They raved about playing in a 3k arena, in South Dakota?

No need to be dishonest.

Like I said ... I'm sure Sioux Falls and/or Sanford people go out of their way to pull these games in, meaning the U gets paid either way. Which is the only reason they should be playing the game there.

There have been a lot of regional teams playing at this arena for the last 5 years, not just Gophers. All have said positive things about playing there.

He's not being dishonest. Don't comment if you are unfamiliar with the arena.

They raved about playing in a 3k arena, in South Dakota?

No need to be dishonest.

Like I said ... I'm sure Sioux Falls and/or Sanford people go out of their way to pull these games in, meaning the U gets paid either way. Which is the only reason they should be playing the game there.

Sioux Falls is 10 miles from the MN border. Would you feel that differently about it if it was in Luverne? It's a nice arena, it counts as a neutral court game and they will still have a big home crowd advantage. There is no downside.

I am really pumped for this. Have family there. Will be a great weekend of Gopher hoops.

How difficult is it to get tickets?

They usually sell out fairly quick. Last time I bought extras and sold them on Stubhub for double face value.

I'd love to make this trip, but won't be able to if this is indeed scheduled for Sat 11-9. Conflicts with the home football game against Penn State which would be a bummer.

I suspect that's the case for a lot of people. I hope a different date is picked.

Sioux Falls is 10 miles from the MN border. Would you feel that differently about it if it was in Luverne? It's a nice arena, it counts as a neutral court game and they will still have a big home crowd advantage. There is no downside.

SF is a podunk town in a podunk state. So’s Fargo, same thing. They know this. That’s why their promoters are paying $$$ to pull in big P5 teams from the Great Plains states to play in their little G-League arena.

US Bank or Target or Xcel are neutral too. Chicago would be a fun neutral. Etc etc. I think I’ve made myself clear.

It’s fine, I just think it’s odd, is all. Like going to play a pre-season tournament ... in Saskatchewan. Or something like that.

SF is a podunk town in a podunk state. So’s Fargo, same thing. They know this. That’s why their promoters are paying $$$ to pull in big P5 teams from the Great Plains states to play in their little G-League arena.

US Bank or Target or Xcel are neutral too. Chicago would be a fun neutral. Etc etc. I think I’ve made myself clear.

It’s fine, I just think it’s odd, is all. Like going to play a pre-season tournament ... in Saskatchewan. Or something like that.

With all due respect, give it up. You're embarrassing yourself.

If they played Oklahoma at Target Center (assuming same prices as Williams Arena & US Bank) they would be fortunate to draw 12,000 which equates to 8,000 empty seats. I'm sure SF would be way more fun.

If they played Oklahoma at Target Center (assuming same prices as Williams Arena & US Bank) they would be fortunate to draw 12,000 which equates to 8,000 empty seats. I'm sure SF would be way more fun.

Plus Oklahoma would never agree to that without a return game. Playing a game at Target Center or US Bank just removes a game from Williams for no reason (this year against OSU excepted.)

We’ll just tuck this under the rug.

What are you talking about? Tuck what under the rug? He specifically said Oklahoma would want a return game if they came to Minneapolis, as Oklahoma State did. The Gophers are going to play Oklahoma State in Oklahoma this season. You are clueless, it is clear.

OSU is having the return game in OKC not Stillwater.

Game will be in Tulsa.

7 days a year, the Gopher FB team plays at home.

Why schedule a Gopher BB game vs a Power 5 conference team in Sioux Falls on one of those 7 days? I want to be at both but obviously that can't happen.

Dumb scheduling IMO.

Regarding Gophers playing a nonconference games at Williams Arena against power conference teams apart from the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, it boils down to revenue. If the Gophers play Oklahoma at Williams Arena, it means that we have to go to Norman in return. Going to Norman means giving up revenue from a home game and getting a short end on revenue down at OU while the TV revenue would be nil since it would be part of the Big 12 rather than the Big Ten package. With a neutral site game or one of the various early season tournaments in places like Hawaii, the Bahamas, and so on, the games get staged by independent promoters that can sell off the TV rights or in some cases are actually owned by an arm of ESPN through which the TV rights are arranged. The visiting teams get a big enough cut off of these neutral site games via the gate, TV rights fees, and sponsorships that the promoter shares to make leaving home worthwhile. While not the case with a trip to Sioux Falls, it is also seen as helpful to the recruiting wars to be seen as playing in Maui, New York, and other desirable locales. The upshot is the Gophers go to Sioux City to play the Sooners and fans at Williams Arena see the Gophers play teams like North Carolina A&T, North Florida, and Mount St. Mary's in nonconference play.

Denny Sanford bought the game and, as usual, the season ticket holders get screwed. We'll get another preseason diet of directional school games with, perhaps, one top 100 opponent that has a little bit of name recognition.

Denny Sanford bought the game and, as usual, the season ticket holders get screwed. We'll get another preseason diet of directional school games with, perhaps, one top 100 opponent that has a little bit of name recognition.

We should get the ACC game at home.

Any presale code info?

That worked. Thanks. I'm interested in buying extras to sell. Does anyone know how ticketmasters "mobile only" tickets work? Can you only re-sell through them?

There's an option to electronically transfer the tickets to an email or mobile phone. You should be able to list on various sites.

This is exactly the type of neutral site game we should be going for.

It is a "neutral" game in name only. The 3000-seat Sanford Pentagon will be pro-Gopher home game atmosphere. It is a great building where Minnesota has enjoyed playing twice before. Absolute great venue with 99% Gopher fans there in games vs. Oklahoma State and Vanderbilt in previous appearances.

And, in today's NET Rankings world, a neutral site opponent in the Top 50 is a Quad One game. So, this is a key factor.

Get a likely Quad One opponent on a "neutral" site where it will be a "home game."

Why do people seem to complain about everything around here?

This is the exact type of game we need to schedule for the good of the program.

Good answer!

Does this mean they aren’t going to a tournament in November? Similar to Vancouver last year. Let me know if someone knows something or already been announced. Thanks

Does this mean they aren’t going to a tournament in November? Similar to Vancouver last year. Let me know if someone knows something or already been announced. Thanks

No tournament this year.

Gophers are "hosting" a multi-team event. They'll get 4 (perhaps only 3) home games. Might get one decent opponent out of it.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

No tournament this year.

Gophers are "hosting" a multi-team event. They'll get 4 (perhaps only 3) home games. Might get one decent opponent out of it.

That would be really cool. A home and home with Oklahoma?

Top Bottom