STrib: Gophers will play Oklahoma next season in men's basketbal

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I know we already knew this, but new STrib article per Marcus:

The Gophers men’s basketball team are finalizing an agreement to play Oklahoma in a nonconference game in Sioux Falls, S.D. in the 2019-20 season, a source told the Star Tribune.

Details of the time and date of this Big Ten vs. Big 12 matchup next season is still to be determined.

This will be the third game for the Gophers at the Sanford Pentagon, which included playing Oklahoma State in 2015 and Vanderbilt in 2016. Both of those games were in December.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-will-play-oklahoma-next-season-in-men-s-basketball/508498622/

Go Gophers!!

Like that we're playing them, not thrilled about where we're playing. Why is it so difficult for us to schedule home-and-homes with P5 teams? Why do they always seem to be neutral sites?

Probably nothing wrong with another neutral-site game. But why Sioux Falls?

JTG

Hey, SS, you have that game as 11/9 on your non-conference thread, but the Strib indicates it is not determined. Is 11/9 set? I'm hoping no.

Like that we're playing them, not thrilled about where we're playing. Why is it so difficult for us to schedule home-and-homes with P5 teams? Why do they always seem to be neutral sites?

Pretty sure Utah is in the Pac 12. Pretty sure the Pac 12 is a P5 conference. Pretty sure we have the 2nd half of a home-and-home with them on next year's schedule.

And before that, we had a home-and-home with Arkansas.

Or were you talking about outside of the last 4 years of our schedule?

I can only hope that it was Sioux Falls and/or Sanford people who actively went out and "purchased" this game. (and the ones before that)

I can only hope that neither the U of Minn nor the U of Okla would purposefully schedule a game in South Dakota.

The Sanford Pentagon is supposedly a really good venue for games.

And probably a good number of Gopher fans down there that can't get to games in Minneapolis very easily, so there won't be a shortage of tickets sold.

This is exactly the type of neutral site game we should be going for.

It is a "neutral" game in name only. The 3000-seat Sanford Pentagon will be pro-Gopher home game atmosphere. It is a great building where Minnesota has enjoyed playing twice before. Absolute great venue with 99% Gopher fans there in games vs. Oklahoma State and Vanderbilt in previous appearances.

And, in today's NET Rankings world, a neutral site opponent in the Top 50 is a Quad One game. So, this is a key factor.

Get a likely Quad One opponent on a "neutral" site where it will be a "home game."

Why do people seem to complain about everything around here?

This is the exact type of game we need to schedule for the good of the program.

Are you sure this game is only in the Pentagon? I’m pretty sure they built a new arena that is much larger, next to that?

JTG

Probably has something to do with the millions Denny Stanford has given to University Athletics. Another pay to play scheme, arrest the Clintons!!

Are you sure this game is only in the Pentagon? I’m pretty sure they built a new arena that is much larger, next to that?

Both arenas were available to use this past season and the 3 or 4 college games played in Sioux Falls, including the Huskers, were all played at the Petagon.

The Sanford Pentagon is supposedly a really good venue for games.

And probably a good number of Gopher fans down there that can't get to games in Minneapolis very easily, so there won't be a shortage of tickets sold.

It's a great venue and unless we play Iowa State or Creighton we will have a distinct home court advantage. Why not do it?

The Sanford Pentagon is ~3,000 seats. The Sanford Premier Center (everything in SF is Sanford) is the larger arena (12-13K). These games are at the Pentagon.

So going all the way to SF ... to play in their little 3k arena? When they have a very nice 12k arena.

Whatever. U got paid either way, I’m sure.

So going all the way to SF ... to play in their little 3k arena? When they have a very nice 12k arena.

You're not going to sell out 13K for a game like that. Hell the Gophers can't draw 13K for home games anymore. It would be roughly the same crowd either way, and it's much more fun in a full, loud venue. The D-II championships were played there last year. It was a great atmosphere (help by Northern State making the finals.) The Sky Force (future home of Amir Coffey) also play there instead of the bigger arena.

Are you new to the Gophers?

This will be the third time in the last 5 years we play at the Pentagon. This isn't something new. It is an incredible venue and a great atmosphere. The players raved about the experience. The Gophers have a huge homecourt advantage for a "neutral" game. Iowa State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Vanderbilt and Colorado are some of the other schools that have "lowered themselves" to play in this "little 3k arena" in recent years.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it is exactly the kind of game this program should be playing. It makes total sense.

Last edited:

This will be the third time in the last 5 years we play at the Pentagon. This isn't something new. It is an incredible venue and a great atmosphere. The players raved about the experience. The Gophers have a huge homecourt advantage for a "neutral" game. Iowa State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Vanderbilt and Colorado are some of the other schools that have "lowered themselves" to play in this "little 3k arena" in recent years.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it is exactly the kind of game this program should be playing. It makes total sense.

They raved about playing in a 3k arena, in South Dakota?

No need to be dishonest.

Like I said ... I'm sure Sioux Falls and/or Sanford people go out of their way to pull these games in, meaning the U gets paid either way. Which is the only reason they should be playing the game there.

He's making stuff up per usual.

The Pentagon is an awesome arena, modeled after a Hoosiers/50's style field house (most people in this thread already know that).

Bigger isn't always better. One significant negative about the Premier Center (the larger arena) is the lack of leg room in the upper level, and, obviously, the fans at the top are much closer to the action in the Pentagon.

Whatever, U got paid either way.

The promoters want the game at SF Roosevelt high school, so be it.

They raved about playing in a 3k arena, in South Dakota? No need to be dishonest.

Don't call me dishonest. You have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Since you clearly don't remember either game at the Pentagon, and clearly don't know anything about the Pentagon, how are you qualified to even comment on it?

Yes, the players loved playing there. The coaches loved playing there. Yes, they raved about it.

You apparently have become a Gophers since 2016, having no recollection of either game there. Welcome aboard the Gopher bandwagon, but, you should sit this topic out. You're sounding foolish.

I am really pumped for this. Have family there. Will be a great weekend of Gopher hoops.

How difficult is it to get tickets?

I'd love to make this trip, but won't be able to if this is indeed scheduled for Sat 11-9. Conflicts with the home football game against Penn State which would be a bummer.

I'd love to make this trip, but won't be able to if this is indeed scheduled for Sat 11-9. Conflicts with the home football game against Penn State which would be a bummer.

I'd go in a heartbeat if the timing worked. SF has a great fan base for college hoops. They sell out the Summit League Tournament in minutes, and bring these games in as well and fill the place. I would be hard pressed to predict the Twin Cities selling 3,000 tickets to a neutral site high major game in November. I've never been but it looks like a great venue on TV.

As far as the troll thinking it's only about money, I think there are other reasons. Lots of out state real fans of the Gophers can rarely get to a game at the Barn. I met a few in Des Moines. Playing a game in SF gives those fans a chance and I'm all for it. I'm not a fan of substituting this for a Power 5 game at the Barn, but that doesn't make this a bad idea or only cynically about money.

I'd go in a heartbeat if the timing worked. SF has a great fan base for college hoops. They sell out the Summit League Tournament in minutes, and bring these games in as well and fill the place. I would be hard pressed to predict the Twin Cities selling 3,000 tickets to a neutral site high major game in November. I've never been but it looks like a great venue on TV.

As far as the troll thinking it's only about money, I think there are other reasons. Lots of out state real fans of the Gophers can rarely get to a game at the Barn. I met a few in Des Moines. Playing a game in SF gives those fans a chance and I'm all for it. I'm not a fan of substituting this for a Power 5 game at the Barn, but that doesn't make this a bad idea or only cynically about money.

Absolutely, it helps statewide outreach. Fans in SW MN, South Dakota, etc, get to watch the Gophers in person.

It also is almost a certain QUAD 1 game because of the neutral site (Top 50 neutral site are QUAD 1). That means something. And, it will be a like a "home game."

The people who should be mad (if anyone is) are Sooner fans. Playing a "neutral" site game in a "road environment" is not the smartest move. For Minnesota, its an absolute no brainer to do this game.

Top Bottom