Sid: Joe Rossi ready for 2019

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Rossi ready for 2019

Gophers defensive coordinator Joe Rossi took over that position on an interim basis in November last year before being given the permanent job three weeks later. In preparing for the Gophers' spring football game Saturday — moved to the team's indoor practice facility because of the weather and no longer open to the public because of limited space — Rossi said he is ready for a tremendous season in 2019.

There was a lot of evidence for why Rossi quickly earned the full-time job.

Before coach P.J. Fleck's decision to fire Robb Smith and promote Rossi last season, the Gophers were 4-5 overall and allowing 31.8 points per game. They were 1-5 in Big Ten play and had allowed 43.2 points per game in conference games.

After Rossi took over, the defense really seemed to turn a corner. The Gophers won three of their last four games, including at home against Purdue, at Wisconsin — which ended a 14-year losing streak to the Badgers — and a 34-10 triumph over Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl.

http://www.startribune.com/timberwo...-search-for-basketball-boss-begins/508465952/

Go Gophers!!

It is still mind boggling to me how much better our defense played after the change.

It is still mind boggling to me how much better our defense played after the change.

I agree, I thought it was going to be a band-aide move. Just thankful that a move was made when it did to give the team much more reason to believe in the system as well as the coach. All leading to a very positive off season.

At the time I figured we were going to limp into the off season and try to reboot with someone new. For once it wasn’t the same old gophers.

Changing to Rossi after the Illinois game really changed the perspective of the season. Ended the season great, and most Gopher fans saw the season as a success with how well we played to cap the year. Glad we have him, crossing my fingers that he can duplicate the success in Year 1

Changing to Rossi after the Illinois game really changed the perspective of the season. Ended the season great, and most Gopher fans saw the season as a success with how well we played to cap the year. Glad we have him, crossing my fingers that he can duplicate the success in Year 1

It's interesting how quickly perception changed about everything. Rossi has had some interim time at Rutgers that wasn't exactly something you'd point to to say he is the guy for a defensive coordinator job, folks were rightfully concerned about that and then .... never heard about that after things got better here.

I'm happy to move forward with him, little worried about longer term performance, but fine for now.

Rossi has had some interim time at Rutgers that wasn't exactly something you'd point to to say he is the guy for a defensive coordinator job, folks were rightfully concerned about that and then .... never heard about that after things got better here.

Rossi had the good fortune of immediately following whatshisname. You don't just look good by comparison, you look phenomenal.

JTG

The improvement by simply changing DCs was mind boggling and it defied logic. Although fun to talk about, it has been discussed already on here many times and is therefore not acceptable to discuss again. I like the topic, it is the frequency that bothers me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The talent level is growing. We will sorely miss Cashman and OJ but the guys coming up at least on paper should be pretty good. If Winfield can stay healthy, Coughlin and Barber become dominant forces, Howden grows up, and we can hold the edge this team could be something special with the offense continuing its trajectory upward.

The improvement by simply changing DCs was mind boggling and it defied logic. Although fun to talk about, it has been discussed already on here many times and is therefore not acceptable to discuss again. I like the topic, it is the frequency that bothers me.

Sometimes the simplest things can make a huge difference. Especially when we're talking about defense where they have to quickly read and react.

Sometimes the simplest things can make a huge difference. Especially when we're talking about defense where they have to quickly read and react.

I have no doubt you are right. After watching the transformation last year there is no other logical conclusion. Hats off to Rossi, no doubt.

I have no doubt you are right. After watching the transformation last year there is no other logical conclusion. Hats off to Rossi, no doubt.

For sure. It seems like the players really love playing for Rossi too. There maybe wasn't that connection with Robb Smith.

Top Bottom