Rosen and Grimm with Fleck on KFAN

Look - it's fine to be excited, and have high expectations. Just as long as you realize that there are no guarantees. In life - and in football, things almost never go the way you expect. One day you're rolling down life's highway without a care - then the "check engine" light goes on, and you're sitting in the garage listening to a mechanic explain why you have to give him $600 to replace some part.

Point being - Yes - the offense has a lot of potential.

But - there is always a best-case scenario and a worst-case scenario. The depth on the team is improved, but there are still some position groups (OL, DB) where one or two key injuries would result in untested players being forced to play.

Even with the apparent depth at WR, an injury to Johnson or Bateman changes the equation.

so, Yes - there is great potential. But, potential still has to translate into results. That will require good health, good decisions on and off the field, and even a few breaks. A fumble or a penalty at the wrong moment of a key game can turn an 8-4 team into a 7-5 team in a heartbeat. On the other side, a fortunate bounce, or a penalty that goes the other way, could turn an 8-4 team into a 9-3 team just as quickly.

What happened to the RB position?
https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/09/gophers-spring-game-bracing-for-change-with-snow-forecast-lack-of-running-backs/
This year, player health and potential bad weather will play a role in the spring game set for 11 a.m. Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

For certain, three healthy running backs — Mo Ibrahim, Bryce Williams and Preston Jelen — will at least somewhat alter this year’s format. The variable will be the forecast of about 8 to 12 inches of snow starting Wednesday night into Friday, which could push the spring game inside to the Gophers’ practice facility and possibly preclude the public from attending.

“We’re going to be very creative,” Fleck said. “We have our draft (Wednesday) for our spring game. … Mo is going to take a limited amount of reps and then you have one on each team, but don’t worry. We’re going to have some guest appearances at the running back position. So just be ready for it.”

Fleck has said starters and veterans will be limited to fewer reps in the spring game. Senior starting defensive end Carter Coughlin, for instance, anticipates he will play about three series Saturday.

The usual suspects once again with the what PJ said routine.

So dumb when people care, analyze, and talk about what the coach says. That has no place on a team’s message board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_3954.jpg

So dumb when people care, analyze, and talk about what the coach says. That has no place on a team’s message board.

The writeup was from an hour long interview and yet go back and look at how many posts in this thread are focused on one tiny portion of it. Heck I will do it for you.

As I type, this will be post #37 in the thread. You started the BS in post 5 to get the usual bickering match going with the people that will engage with you.

So in 37 posts there have been 21 off topic doing the usual stuff that happens in here, more often then not incited by you (I counted this one in that number) and 16 on topic and relating to the actual OP.

I get that it is your thing to get into these little skirmishes with people. I am sure you think you are being hilarious as you sit there typing post after post of drivel. It is a shame too because when you actually stay on topic you have decent things to say, but you are so determined to tick people off that the interesting things you have to say get lost in the wash.

Who was he referring to as to guest appearances in the running back position for the spring game?

The writeup was from an hour long interview and yet go back and look at how many posts in this thread are focused on one tiny portion of it. Heck I will do it for you.

As I type, this will be post #37 in the thread. You started the BS in post 5 to get the usual bickering match going with the people that will engage with you.

So in 37 posts there have been 21 off topic doing the usual stuff that happens in here, more often then not incited by you (I counted this one in that number) and 16 on topic and relating to the actual OP.

I get that it is your thing to get into these little skirmishes with people. I am sure you think you are being hilarious as you sit there typing post after post of drivel. It is a shame too because when you actually stay on topic you have decent things to say, but you are so determined to tick people off that the interesting things you have to say get lost in the wash.

What a load. Off topic? It is discussing something said in the OP.

Your objection is fool’s gold - or as you said, BS. You say it is the frequency and it being off topic that bother you, but it is on topic and the frequency isn’t your real issue. Many discussions on the QB on here, plenty on the OL, uniforms, weather, etc. and yet you never complain. Your objection is you don’t like the subject matter.

Your issue isn’t how it’s being discussed, it is what is being discussed. Be truthful.

Who was he referring to as to guest appearances in the running back position for the spring game?

Just guessing but could be a former player, goldy, or something else to keep things loose and have some fun. Some get way too caught up in the idea of the spring game needing to be something serious.

Nailed it. Spoof probably laughs at himself following every one of his ridiculous posts.

What a load. Off topic? It is discussing something said in the OP.

Your objection is fool’s gold - or as you said, BS. You say it is the frequency and it being off topic that bother you, but it is on topic and the frequency isn’t your real issue. Many discussions on the QB on here, plenty on the OL, uniforms, weather, etc. and yet you never complain. Your objection is you don’t like the subject matter.

Your issue isn’t how it’s being discussed, it is what is being discussed. Be truthful.

Beyond this post I am not going to contribute further to the thing that annoys me most about this board, but to the part in bold I could not disagree with you more.

To be fair, your comment at post 5 wasn't that bad, but it set off the typical chain reaction back and forth sniping that makes it next to impossible to read some of the threads (you are not alone but you tend to be very involved in these battles). Threads that have a chance to spark interesting discussion turn into page after page after page of just absolute garbage with the occasional relevant comment mixed in. The problem is you have to wade through a ton of garbage to find that content.

One thing for sure: do long as Fleck is the coach, this team will never lack for talking the talk.

Now, can they back up that fantastic finish last season by walking the walk??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k-RduxAYCQM?start=41" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just guessing but could be a former player, goldy, or something else to keep things loose and have some fun. Some get way too caught up in the idea of the spring game needing to be something serious.

It would be pretty fun to pull some excitable types out of the crowd and let them take hits from linebackers and defensive tackles. Maybe get some of the admins back there.

Beyond this post I am not going to contribute further to the thing that annoys me most about this board, but to the part in bold I could not disagree with you more.

To be fair, your comment at post 5 wasn't that bad, but it set off the typical chain reaction back and forth sniping that makes it next to impossible to read some of the threads (you are not alone but you tend to be very involved in these battles). Threads that have a chance to spark interesting discussion turn into page after page after page of just absolute garbage with the occasional relevant comment mixed in. The problem is you have to wade through a ton of garbage to find that content.

To summarize, we’re entitled to your and a few other’s opinion.

To summarize, we’re entitled to your and a few other’s opinion.

Did you even read what I wrote? I thoroughly enjoy the threads filled with relevant opinions and good discussion. The problem is that gets lost in the name calling and back and forth drivel that hijacks nearly every thread here to the point where you can't find the real discussion because it is buried under too many other just complete garbage posts.

Did you even read what I wrote? I thoroughly enjoy the threads filled with relevant opinions and good discussion. The problem is that gets lost in the name calling and back and forth drivel that hijacks nearly every thread here to the point where you can't find the real discussion because it is buried under too many other just complete garbage posts.

So you decide what is a relevant opinion and what is a garbage opinion. Funny. As I said, your issue is you simply don’t like what is being discussed because your opinion differs. Problem is even you can’t see that.

So you decide what is a relevant opinion and what is a garbage opinion. Funny. As I said, your issue is you simply don’t like what is being discussed because your opinion differs. Problem is even you can’t see that.

I went back again and counted at least 17 posts in this thread that bring nothing to the table other than taking up space and making it tough to find any sort of meaningful discussion about the actual topic.

Look, you and Pompous are free to keep the comedy act going and pretend like you just aren't doing whatever you can to get a rise out of people. This has nothing to do with having a differing opinion on Fleck but feel free to try and pretend like that is what is going on. You have it down to an art form.

My apologies to anyone actually interested in the thread topic for contributing to the very thing that annoys me about these threads and this board.

My apologies to anyone actually interested in the thread topic for contributing to the very thing that annoys me about these threads and this board.

Apology accepted. Let’s get back to what Fleck said as outlined in the OP.

I get it, but honestly it’s all in good fun. Everybody is excited about the team here and the prospects for 2019. That doesn’t have anything to do with coach occasionally saying something kind of silly. We’re just laughing about it. It’s really not a big deal. Most coaches have personalities and sayings that get made fun of. PJ is a salesman. He can’t help it. It’s who he is.

Last edited:

I get it, but honestly it’s all in good fun. Everybody is excited about the team here and the prospects for 2019. That doesn’t have anything to do with coach occasionally saying something kind of silly. We’re just laughing about it. It’s really not a big deal. Most coaches have personalities and sayings that get made fun of. PJ is a salesman. He can’t help it. It’s who he is.

What PJ says is a HUGE deal to you.

Seems like it's always the same people hijacking the informational threads to b!tch and moans about PJ. It gets old after a while and makes these threads unbearable to read. I think you are spot on.

As one who has “swallowed the hook” on way too many occasions, I agree with you completely. You expect children to grow up at some point, but they just enjoy pestering people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s because it’s free and open to anyone on the internet.

That’s just how that works. People are a__holes on the internet, and they don’t have to pay anything per post. Some derive the same ... maybe even more ... pleasure from arguing with, or trying to start arguments with, anonymous strangers on any aspect of anything, than they do reading or sharing relevant information.

Do you have any idea how incredibly different this board would look, if you had to keep a credit card on file and pay $1 per post each month??

Last edited:

What PJ says is a HUGE deal to you.

I think what I say is a huge deal to you, which is interesting. PJ is a public figure and currently the coach of the team so yeah, I parse his words just like I did all the prior coaches. Laughing at some of his eccentricities isn’t that strange. I’ve given PJ major kudos for all the things he does really well but like a heat seeking missile you guys only see the negative stuff.

I suspect the same people that can can’t bring themselves to see the pros and cons of their coach or even tolerate discussion of them tend to be the same types that are very political on both ends of the spectrum. Just a hunch.

That’s just how that works. People are a__holes on the internet, and they don’t have to pay anything per post. Some derive the same ... maybe even more ... pleasure from arguing with, or trying to start arguments with, anonymous strangers on any aspect of anything, than they do reading or sharing relevant information.

Do you have any idea how incredibly different this board would look, if you had to keep a credit card on file and pay $1 per post each month??

Hmmm (scratches chin). Yes, some do...

With all due respect, I went back and read the OP again, looking for new or relevant information. Most of what was posted is not new information. It was a recap of the things you hear every week on Fleck's WCCO interviews. The one area that I would say is new was the discussion about the WR position, with some new (to me) information on a few of the WR's. Everything else is a re-statement of things Fleck has said before. In some cases, said many times before.

That is part of the deal with Fleck. You hear the same phrases repeated over and over again. Which does lead some to make comments or jokes about Fleck and his style of speaking.

And now, just to stir the pot - If Fleck was the coach at IA or WI, I submit that almost every poster on this board would be making fun of him on a daily basis. But, he's the Gopher coach, and for some people, that means he cannot or should not be criticized or questioned. That is the real difference of opinion - the amount of deference owed to the Gopher football coach.

And in another 4 months, we can put this all behind us, and go back to arguing over play-calling, tight spirals, and why the backup QB isn't starting.

Wait, a post about the actual thread and not the typical BS based on one line from the original post that has filled up 2 pages already and will almost certainly fill up 20 more before the usual suspects get tired of bickering with each other for the 5000th time about the same stuff......

it is truly amazing how far our WR corps has come in just a few years. I can recall writing many posts about the black hole that was our WR position. Now we sit here with a legit star in Johnson, a star in the making in Bateman, and multiple other players that all look like they can be above average options for us (CAB, Douglas).

This offense has all the pieces to be something really special. That terrifies a bunch of posters in here that are afraid to show any optimism of any kind towards what is going on with the program. But IF, and it is always a big IF in football, IF we can stay healthy on offense there is really no reason why this shouldn't be one of the top units in the Big Ten. Stacked at RB and WR, solid QB play from young guys that should just keep getting better, and an O-Line that looks to have some high end players on it.

I could not be more excited to see what this offense is capable of doing with all the weapons we have. Johnson coming back was the key ingredient we needed to put things over the top. If the O-Line can give Morgan or Annexstad time to breathe look out.

If teams load up to stop the run you kill them through the air, if they fall back to contain the receivers you hand off to 1 of 3 guys that has proven they can be a really good RB when given the opportunity.

All Rossi has to do is keep the defense playing the way they did over the last 4 games of the season, they don't have to be dominant on that side of the ball just keep other teams in check enough to let the offense go to work. Of course the potential is also there for the defense to be really solid with a lot of experienced players coming back.

I won't go so far as to predict a Big Ten title but we absolutely should be in the mix for the West this year.

Writes a book-length post chiding other posters for fighting, then attacks posters in that very same post. Makes a declaration that this will be his "last post" on the topic, then makes multiple more.

Physician, heal thyself.

Top Bottom