Maryland @ North Carolina
Miami @ Illinois
Michigan @ Virginia
Northwestern @ Georgia Tech
Ohio State @ Syracuse
Penn State @ Pitt
Wake Forest @ Rutgers
Wisconsin @ Virginia Tech

Sounds like a great excuse to dig out some old 96-97 footage and relive two stirring victories*!

I bet Iowa gets something harder than NC State.

It'D bE sO cOoL tO sEe RiChArD cOaCh AgAiNsT tHe ScHoOl ThAt FiReD hIs DaD

If Coffey returns, could we possibly see a Duke @ Minnesota game?

Think about it! Hurt and Jones return to Minny to play in the barn, Coach K supposedly loves Minneapolis and was denied coming here by Michigan State. Plus K could invite all those Minnesota prospects to the game that he hopes to whisk away back to Duke.

I'm giving this a 60% chance of happening if Coffey returns.

Think about it! Hurt and Jones return to Minny to play in the barn, Coach K supposedly loves Minneapolis and was denied coming here by Michigan State. Plus K could invite all those Minnesota prospects to the game that he hopes to whisk away back to Duke.

0% chance they'll pair Duke-Minnesota when Michigan State and Purdue are other possibilities for the Dukies. Who am I kidding, 0% chance no matter what the other possibilities are!

Would love to see Duke at Williams Arena, though.

Duke always pairs with a top of conference type program and often on a neutral court.

Duke always pairs with a top of conference type program and often on a neutral court.

last year they were paired with Indiana and they played in Durham.

The past five ACC challenges, Duke has not played on a neutral court.

Where do you get your facts?

last year they were paired with Indiana and they played in Durham.

The past five ACC challenges, Duke has not played on a neutral court.

Where do you get your facts?

I was taking all their challenges and IU has historical significance that appeals nationally in a way we never have. You took one year. LOOK at who Duke has played in the challenge and tell me how often they played programs that have been historically mediocre.

I was taking all their challenges and IU has historical significance that appeals nationally in a way we never have. You took one year. LOOK at who Duke has played in the challenge and tell me how often they played programs that have been historically mediocre.

Maybe I'm giving K too much power, I just thought with 2 Minnesotans on his team and a 2020 class of Minnesota studs he may want to push for Minnesota to help solidify his recruiting appeal. But, he may not worry about it since kids want to go to Duke.

Maybe I'm giving K too much power, I just thought with 2 Minnesotans on his team and a 2020 class of Minnesota studs he may want to push for Minnesota to help solidify his recruiting appeal. But, he may not worry about it since kids want to go to Duke.

At least according to 247, Duke is not recruiting either Garcia or Suggs, and I assume the other guys are ranked too low to catch Duke's interest.

SS, how is it decided which ACC team does not participate in the challenge? I saw you left Notre Dame off, so I assume they try to leave the worst team out, but they tied with Pitt for last place in the ACC and even finished with the same 14-19 overall record, though Pitt owns the head to head victory over the Irish. Are there objective criteria that need to be met, or do they just project which team they think will be terrible in the upcoming season?

SS, how is it decided which ACC team does not participate in the challenge? I saw you left Notre Dame off, so I assume they try to leave the worst team out, but they tied with Pitt for last place in the ACC and even finished with the same 14-19 overall record, though Pitt owns the head to head victory over the Irish. Are there objective criteria that need to be met, or do they just project which team they think will be terrible in the upcoming season?

My understanding is the last-place team from the previous season is left out. Not sure if that applies if a team finishes last in back to back seasons.

Notre Dame was the #15 seed (last) in the ACC Tournament, so I’m assuming Irish will sit it out this season.

My understanding is the last-place team from the previous season is left out. Not sure if that applies if a team finishes last in back to back seasons.

Notre Dame was the #15 seed (last) in the ACC Tournament, so I’m assuming Irish will sit it out this season.

This has always bothered me a bit. The ACC should be giving every team the same number of Challenge appearances. Leaving the last place team out of the Challenge for the next year gives the ACC a slight advantage. I understand that ratings drive everything nowadays (ESPN would be ticked if Duke sat out the Challenge one year), and Notre Dame could be better next year, but they most likely will be average at best.

Yes, the Challenge means a lot to me because I really want the ACC to lose every year... :)

This has always bothered me a bit. The ACC should be giving every team the same number of Challenge appearances. Leaving the last place team out of the Challenge for the next year gives the ACC a slight advantage. I understand that ratings drive everything nowadays (ESPN would be ticked if Duke sat out the Challenge one year), and Notre Dame could be better next year, but they most likely will be average at best.

Yes, the Challenge means a lot to me because I really want the ACC to lose every year... :)

They have 15 teams. Team 8 should be left out.

I predict we'll play Florida State. It's been far too long. :cool:

Krzyzewski is not willing to take that kind of risk with his team, and I'm sure he usually gets his way when it comes to pairing.

Krzyzewski is not willing to take that kind of risk with his team, and I'm sure he usually gets his way when it comes to pairing.

Because of the raised floor? Or the overwhelming home court advantage The Barn offers?

It's better for the Big 10 as far as NET/SOS/Quads that the last place team sit out. Much more concerned with that then whomever wins "The Challenge".

Duke has played a lot of tougher road games in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge compared to playing at the Barn next year. And Duke last year played four top 12 teams last year in the non conference, even if they were neutral floor. They also played two top 10 teams in the non conference the year before as well.

Duke has played a lot of tougher road games in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge compared to playing at the Barn next year. And Duke last year played four top 12 teams last year in the non conference, even if they were neutral floor. They also played two top 10 teams in the non conference the year before as well.

I consider it to be higher risk because the Gophers don't carry the same amount of prestige as those other teams you referenced, so it would have a more negative effect if they did lose.

Updated ACC/B1G Challenge Projections (5/7/19)

Maryland reportedly will get a home game for the second straight year, so I had to switch things around a bit. I changed Rutgers to a road team, which would be the Scarlet Knights' second straight in the Challenge away from the RAC.

Duke @ Michigan State
Ohio State @ North Carolina
Miami @ Purdue
Michigan @ Virginia
Florida State @ Maryland
Boston College @ Illinois
Wisconsin @ NC State
Iowa @ Syracuse
Clemson @ GOPHERS
Rutgers @ Pitt
Penn State @ Georgia Tech
Louisville @ Indiana
Wake Forest @ Nebraska
Northwestern @ Virginia Tech

Last edited:

Maryland reportedly will get a home game for the second straight year, so I had to switch things around a bit. Rutgers has been changed to a road team, which would be the Scarlet Knights' second straight in the Challenge away from the RAC.

Duke @ Michigan State
Ohio State @ North Carolina
Florida State @ Purdue
Michigan @ Virginia
Louisville @ Maryland
Boston College @ Illinois
Wisconsin @ NC State
Iowa @ Syracuse
Clemson @ GOPHERS
Rutgers @ Pitt
Penn State @ Georgia Tech
Miami @ Indiana
Wake Forest @ Nebraska
Northwestern @ Virginia Tech

What criteria do you use to come up with this?

What criteria do you use to come up with this?

Basically switch the home and road teams from the previous season, then try to match up relative to likely preseason expectations and/or brand name recognition. Also, I avoid matching up teams that are already playing one another or potentially could square off in an exempt tournament (i.e. Purdue & FSU are in the same tournament, as are Michigan & North Carolina, etc.).

Seems like once or twice a Challenge there's a team or two that plays at home or on the road for the second straight time, but by and large if you were a road team the previous season you'll be a home team the following (and vice versa).

Last edited:

Basically switch the home and road teams from the previous season, then try to match up relative to likely preseason expectations and/or brand name recognition. Also, I avoid matching up teams that are already playing one another or potentially could square off in an exempt tournament (i.e. Purdue & FSU are in the same tournament, Michigan & North Carolina, etc.).

Seems like once or twice a Challenge there's a team or two that plays at home or on the road for the second straight time, but by and large if you were a road team the previous season you'll be a home team the following (and vice versa).

thank you.

Top Bottom