Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Nice to see her back with the Lynx. Hope she can contribute and make a strong impression. Also, hope the injury bug slows down for the Lynx.

Excerpts and Bell quotes from Shootaround Report | Catching Up with Kenisha Bell and Asia Taylor https://lynx.wnba.com/news/shootarou...nd-asia-taylor

Bell has been playing with a Pro-Am team in the Twin Cities as well as on the University of Minnesota scout team ... [well, the latter is good to keep her sharp, and at the same time provides some known but tough competition for the Gophers in summer practice]

“You learn a lot about a team and what the coaching staff want,” said Bell. “You can bring that to the team when you come - you know what you have to focus on to practice outside of just the training camp and just the practices I’ve been involved in.”

In spite of a lite crowd at the Lynx-Atlanta game last night, and the fact that she only played a minute or two, Bell got warm applause from Lynx/Gopher fans when she checked in.

In last night’s game, Hopkins/Northwestern alum (and big sister of Amir) Nia Coffey also got some significant minutes of playing time, hitting a couple threes for an Atlanta team that had trouble generating offense.

The fact that Kenisha Bell suited up and played 30 seconds for Sunday’s game against the Mercury is significant since (as it turns out) she will almost certainly receive a Lynx paycheck for the rest of the season.

That doesn’t imply that she’ll remain on the active roster tho. It’s complicated.

Let’s rewind to just before the Sunday game. An hour before the game it was exactly half-way through the season. And WNBA teams had til then to potentially cut a (non-guaranteed-contract) player but with the option to bring them back a week at a time on a one-week contract. I think they could do that up to 3 times - thus extending their indecision about a player (before they have to cut em loose and let other teams potentially bid on them).

Last week’s FanSided article “Who’s on the 7-Day chopping block as WNBA season midpoint approaches” https://www.google.com/amp/s/highpos...approaches/amp by Ben Rosof explains all this quite well.

He also iterates over all 12 WNBA teams and makes his guess as to which players might be at risk for having their non-guaranteed contracts terminated (but then possibly re-hired a week at a time for up to 3 weeks.

For the Lynx, he guessed wrong. He predicted that (recently re-signed) Kenisha Bell or Asia Taylor or both might be terminated (plus probably extended a week at a time) - with Taylor more likely to be retained. His argument was seemingly reasonable at the time, especially since as of that point Bell had only played one minute whereas Taylor had made a substantial contribution.

He was wrong. Neither Bell nor Taylor were cut or moved to 7-day contracts. They are now on a remainder-of-season contract (although, as I believe he notes, in principle any player can be cut at any time).

Instead, forward Shao Ting was cut to make room for the return of Temi https://lynx.wnba.com/news/lynx-acti...-temi-***benle and center Alaina Coates was let go to make room for the eventual return of Cecilia Zandalasini http://m.startribune.com/lynx-waive-...sini/512709832 - [update: Coates was picked up by the Atlanta Dream, so good for her.]

It is suspected that Sheryl Reeve had a handshake agreement in place regarding Ting, since her next step of prepping with the Chinese National Team for the FIBA Women’s Asia Cup, may have been planned all along. Zandalasini might not return for a couple weeks due to an injury, so Coates may be brought back on a weekly basis.

In any event, it’s good news for Kenisha Bell. Not only does she continue to get a paycheck, and continue to get experience practicing with the team, and continue to learn both from the Lynx coaches as well as the master, Seimone Augustus, but one of these days she might get some playing time.

Up to now, her stat sheet is pretty empty. Reeve has (thus far) been content to use Bell as her “guard insurance policy.” Not an unreasonable idea considering that D-Rob got injured last year, along with Reeve’s tendency to trust her veteran players (a concept that’s already gotten stretched this year with the “vets” now encompassing Steff Talbot and soph Lexie Brown and rooky Napheesa Collier).

But during warmups for today’s Storm game, Bell looked calm and confident and shooting well and ready to play when called upon.

The remaining dicey bit that impacts whether and how long Bell remains on the active roster is the injury roster exemption the league gave the Lynx for having four injured players simultaneously. That remains mysterious. I even checked the WNBA bargaining agreement and could find no enlightenment.

Could it be that when injured players start returning, the roster exemption gets revoked? Or maybe the exemption stays in place, but the Lynx just need to decide (and re-decide dynamically as time goes on) which subset of the current-active-players + injured players get activated, and when. For sake of argument (and just to keep our sanity), let’s just assume the latter, more liberal interpretation.

In that case, Kenisha might stay activated until ‘Mone recovers fully from her knee injury (and then gets activated). One conjecture might be that Seimone might be tired of the sore knees and thus announce her retirement, coming back in time to play a few regular-season games plus hopefully a lot of playoff games, and receive her accolades (like Whay did).

So how long Bell stays activated remains an open question. And given that most of the Lynx games are close lately, she might not get a whole lot of playing time. During Wednesday’s Storm game, with the Lynx down by 17 at end of 3rd quarter, one might have thought that the Lynx would throw in the towel, and that the tail end of the bench might get some action. But apparently, “throw in the towel” is not in the Lynx vocabulary. They made a miraculous 17-point recovery to tie the game. But as often happens, the exhausted Lynx then gave up the next series of points to lose the game.
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 07-19-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Dantas activated and will play on Sunday. Kenisha Bell was cut. Given the fact the the next hearing for Sims is in September, no need for an extra guard (baring any injuries).

Perhaps Bell gets picked up by someone else on one of those short term contracts? Don't know if any other WNBA teams are looking for guards at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromthevalley View Post
    Dantas activated and will play on Sunday. Kenisha Bell was cut. Given the fact the the next hearing for Sims is in September, no need for an extra guard (baring any injuries).

Perhaps Bell gets picked up by someone else on one of those short term contracts? Don't know if any other WNBA teams are looking for guards at this time.
    Right, and the official Lynx statement appears to be at the @Lynx_PR tweet https://mobile.twitter.com/Lynx_PR/s...30760663252992 and press statement https://lynx.wnba.com/news/damiris-dantas-injury-update that notes “In a corresponding move, the Lynx have terminated the contract of Kenisha Bell.”

So much for WNBA rules and a paycheck for the remainder of the season. Presumably, unwritten rules re the obscure, undocumented Lynx roster medical waiver trump [no political statement intended] WNBA contract rules. Or what is more likely, knowing players get healthy eventually, the Bell and Asia Taylor contracts were written to be exempt from the WNBA second-half-of-season rule.

In any event, it was beneficial for Bell to be on the team, albeit briefly. And great to see her on the court too. She missed out on the team picture with Bill Russell tho.

Asia Taylor was still on the team in Las Vegas, probably to be replaced by Zandalasini when her high ankle sprain heals.

Zandalisini isn’t signed. Taylor is a replacement for Augustus.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    Zandalisini isn’t signed. Taylor is a replacement for Augustus.
    Zandalisini is in Minnesota, they just havent officially signed her because of her ankle injury most likely, shes been here for a week or so already.

Quote Originally Posted by whalenfan View Post
    Zandalisini is in Minnesota, they just havent officially signed her because of her ankle injury most likely, shes been here for a week or so already.
    I’m not sure if you’re just making conversation or you’re misunderstanding my comment. Taylor was signed as an emergency injury replacement player. Zandalisini has nothing to do with when Taylor leaves the team, as cut thought.

In fact, Taylor was released today. So I suspect Augustus will play in the Lynx’s next game after the All Star break.

Zandalisini can sign whenever she’s ready. The Lynx already made room for her by cutting Coates.

For reference, I'm writing this as of the afternoon just before the All-Star game, but also quoting some facts as they held true earlier in the last week or so.
    I’m not sure if you’re just making conversation or you’re misunderstanding my comment. ...
    No, I think whalenfan understands just fine, and is simply trying to clarify things a bit. It is a bit complicated, and perhaps some of our comments (especially mine) were too speculative at the time (but perhaps I like to guess and then see how close my guess came ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by CutDownTheNet View Post
    ... Asia Taylor was still on the team in Las Vegas, probably to be replaced by Zandalasini when her high ankle sprain heals.
    That's an example - I wrote this without thinking it through completely. Or perhaps I thought it through but did not clarify my assumptions. That statement by me was tantamount to my guessing that Zandalasini would be healed and fit to play before Seimone would - but I neglected to mention that. Actually, the most probable situation at the time was more along the lines of that whoever of {Seimone Augustus, Cecilia Zandalasini} healed the fastest, she would come back first and Asia Taylor would at that point almost certainly be cut to make roster space.
    Quote Originally Posted by whalenfan View Post
    Zandalisini is in Minnesota, they just haven't officially signed her because of her ankle injury most likely, shes been here for a week or so already.
    That was a true statement as of the time it was posted.
    ... Taylor was signed as an emergency injury replacement player.
    That was also true, but deserves clarification.

At the time that the WNBA granted the Lynx an emergency roster exemption due to excessive injuries (four total), the set of players {Kenisha Bell, Asia Taylor} were brought in via the roster exemption to cover for injured payers {Jessica Shepard, Karima Christmas-Kelly, Seimone Augustus, Damiris Dantas}. The first two are out for the season, so in terms of hurt players that might come back soon, you might as well look at this way: the set of players {Kenisha Bell, Asia Taylor} were brought in via the roster exemption to cover until the return of {Seimone Augustus, Damiris Dantas}. Meanwhile, earlier in the season, Zandalasini was rarely (if ever) mentioned in Lynx press, although Temi was mentioned on several occasions as being out until she returns from the EuroBasket. It was curious that Cecilia was not also mentioned in the same light. It was true, and remains true that Zandalasini hasn't been signed.

Then Dantas was cleared to play and was activated. At that point, one of {Kenisha Bell, Asia Taylor} had to go, and it was Keke that was cut (which made sense as the Lynx needed a forward more than a guard at that point, and Asia had been contributing productive minutes). So Bell was swapped out for Dantas as per ...
    Quote Originally Posted by CutDownTheNet View Post
    Right, and the official Lynx statement appears to be at the @Lynx_PR tweet https://mobile.twitter.com/Lynx_PR/s...30760663252992 and press statement https://lynx.wnba.com/news/damiris-dantas-injury-update that notes “In a corresponding move, the Lynx have terminated the contract of Kenisha Bell." ...
    After activating Dantas, the roster exemption situation was reduced to: the remaining roster-exemption player Asia Taylor (of the original set of players {Kenisha Bell, Asia Taylor}) was brought in via the roster exemption to cover until the return of Seimone Augustus.

(Not sure if this is in chronological order, but) Alaina Coates was cut per https://lynx.wnba.com/news/lynx-waiv...-alaina-coates (and Coates was later picked up by Atlanta per https://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...232856197.html).
    This was so that Temi could return to active status after EuroBasket was done. It is not true that ...
    ... The Lynx already made room for (Zandalisini) by cutting Coates.
    The Lynx cutting of Coates made room for Temi to be activated. Leaving Zandalisini competing for some unknown position at that point.

So (right up until the recent cut of Asia Taylor that Shades pointed out), the situation was as follows: Asia Taylor was brought in via the roster exemption to cover until the return of Seimone Augustus.

Now when one of {Seimone Augustus, Cecilia Zandalisini} gets healthy (at least this is our best guess about the options available, since there is still no written info on exactly what the terms were/are for the injury roster exemption) Sheryl has to choose between:
    (a) Bring back Seimone Augustus (presuming 'Mone gets healthy first) and cut the designated Asia Taylor who was the placeholder for her roster spot.
    (b) Activate Zandalisini (presuming 'Ceci gets healthy first) and cut Asia Taylor, so that Ceci replaces Asia as the remaining designated roster-exemption player, and the situation becomes: Cecilia Zandalisini is now effectively the player that is (the most recent player to be) brought in via the roster exemption to cover until the return of Seimone Augustus.

I repeat that we know little of the terms of the roster exemption, but the above is a fairly good guess - namely that Sheryl can keep bringing in who she wants to serve as that last roster-exemption player - at least until 'Mone returns to active play. The interesting question is, what if 'Mone is certified to play, and does, but then is re-injured? Is the roster exemption kaput at that point?

In any event, Sheryl has some tough decisions to make, largely having to do with who gets healthy first - 'Mone or 'Ceci?

If the above a/b choice is valid, and 'Ceci is healthy before 'Mone is, then option (b) might be a good choice for the interim until 'Mone is for-sure healthy. Of course, 'Mone is signed and 'Ceci isn't at this point.

So fast-forward to the present. Shades notes that Asia was cut. That means for sure that one of {Semone Augustus, Cecilia Zandalisini} will play at the next game. At this point there is no evidence one way or another. But if I had to guess, I'd now (reverse my earlier guess and) say that it's more likely that Seimone will play.

But it's quite possible that there's a sense of the word in which Augustus and Zandalisini are competing for the same spot. 'Mone has the inside track since she's signed, obviously. But you can't have both of them at the same time, without cutting somebody else, and there's nobody else to cut - all the other players are needed.

Don't put it past Sheryl to continue to milk the roster exemption (via option b) and let Zandalisini play the Lynx into the playoffs, and then bring back Augustus to help the Lynx win the championship (or at least get a lot deeper than anyone expected for a rebuilding year). Who knows. I'm not going on record to make any prediction.

In any event, barring injury to the current trio of Lynx guards, it is very unlikely that Bell would be brought back. the Lynx are the only team in the WNBA playing a three-guard rotation for most of the season - but she seems to have gotten away with it (with only a Bell insurance policy for part of the season). I could speculate whether the Lynx could have won some of those close games that they lost with Bell on the bench, simply by giving Bell some minutes, but that's useless idle speculation for some other lazy day.
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 07-27-2019 at 02:31 PM.

You seem to be forgetting the FACTS (no guessing) that you wrote in your post not that long ago on 7/18.

Instead, forward Shao Ting was cut to make room for the return of Temi https://lynx.wnba.com/news/lynx-acti...-temi-***benle and center Alaina Coates was let go to make room for the eventual return of Cecilia Zandalasini http://m.startribune.com/lynx-waive-...sini/512709832 - [update: Coates was picked up by the Atlanta Dream, so good for her.]
    Why you seem to have forgotten that and started guessing at other scenarios, I have no idea.

The reason why Coates was cut before Zandalisini was ready to be signed was because there’s a mid-season deadline date where anybody who remains signed past that date is guaranteed their whole contract for the season. The Lynx couldn’t afford to pay Coates the rest of the season and also sign Zandalisini. They valued Zandalisini more so they cut Coates. Not sure that was the greatest move since ***benle hasn’t played up to speed.

You seem to be forgetting the FACTS (no guessing) that you wrote in your post not that long ago on 7/18.

Why you seem to have forgotten that and started guessing at other scenarios, I have no idea.

The reason why Coates was cut before Zandalisini was ready to be signed was because there’s a mid-season deadline date where anybody who remains signed past that date is guaranteed their whole contract for the season. The Lynx couldn’t afford to pay Coates the rest of the season and also sign Zandalisini. They valued Zandalisini more so they cut Coates. Not sure that was the greatest move since ***benle hasn’t played up to speed.
    Yer right - always helps to check the FACTS that were noted earlier.

Will be interesting to see if ‘Mone and ‘Ceci can add enough of a shooting boost for the Lynx to win the close ones that’ve been losing lately.

Temi does look a little off - surprising given how well she played in EuroBasket. Maybe evidence that WNBA is higher caliber competition than Euro, I suppose.

Interesting to see the WNBA All Stars play today with a 20 second shot clock. And Liz Cambage playing point guard.

I kinda like the idea of a 20-sec shot clock, but the All Star game is not a serious test for it. It’s not played like a real game unless and until the score is close at the end.