Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by CutDownTheNet View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately, I think she fell victim to coach Reeve’s preference for experience over potential.
    Seems to going against that usual preference with Collier and Shepard getting so many minutes,

Coates would be filling in at backup Center while Temi finishes up her overseas season; and Talbot plays the SG or SF positions. [Read as: Talbot shoots better than Bell right now, and Reeve prefers experienced players.]
    You want to talk about potential? Coates was the #2 pick in 2017. She’s still young and they got her for only a third round pick. Potentially a good deal there. Definitely worth the very small gamble.

Plenty of tweets from disappointed Lynx fans that are upset on learning this. Some vowed not to renew their season tickets.
    Empty threats by people who probably weren’t STH anyway. Is winning more important or being a homer?

Bell wouldn’t have gotten much playing time anyway. So maybe the bright side is that Kenisha can hone her skills in overseas play (and make more money doing so).
    Just like Carlie!

then hope that some WNBA team will invite her to training camp next year.
    You guys were saying this about Carlie, and just like her, not likely to happen. A new class of rookies comes in and teams move on. Now if she goes on to become the Euroleague MVP (which isn’t going to happen. I doubt she even gets signed by a Euroleague team), then maybe she’ll come back. Sorry for the realistic viewpoint.

I suspect that Coates and Talbot are bound to be just short-term Lynx - filling in for Temi and Cecilia until they finish their overseas season. Also note that this leaves the Lynx roster count way over the max 12. So several more cuts are to be expected.
    Hard to say. The Lynx are actually running thin at the post right now. They only have Fowles, Dantas, Shepard, and Coates as true posts and Collier as a backup post off her primary position as SF. They usually like to run with 5 true posts if they have 12 players, so Coates could stick around if she looks good. Her performance and how she does in practice will matter.

I would rate Talbot better than Ting. She might even be better than Zandalisini. Talbot was an unexpected gift from PHX because they were experiencing roster crunch. They had three draft picks at #13 and above, and they didn’t want to give up any of them.

Reeve seems to love Zandalisini. But it wouldn’t be out if the question to see her get traded if she doesn’t want to sit out the entire season. Zandalasini is unsigned for this season, but the Lynx own her rights. If the Lynx are doing great without her, why would you try to add her to the team in July?

although Cheryl Reeve is a great coach, thus far (in my opinion) she merits only about a C- score on GMing.
    That’s about right if you average the two seasons. She’s gets an F for last year. This year, I’d say she gets about an A-. So that shows a lot of improvement in my eyes, and I’m about the toughest critic.

At the time, signing Christmas was a great move with Maya sitting out. In hindsight, Reeve was a little too enthusiastic about a player who may never regain pre-injury form by giving her a three year guaranteed contract.

Stealing Dantas away from ATL without needing to give up anything in trade was a brilliant 5-star move. I can go into more detail if need be.

Even though this deal fell into her lap, getting Sims was the best signing of the year. There’s Augustus’ future (or now?) replacement out of the blue. I hope she keeps her level of play up. Talbot also fell into her lap. Great deal considering next year’s draft is looking a bit thin in the second and third rounds.

The draft went well. The only nitpicks were, even though I like Dillard, I was actually surprised that Reeve didn’t take the big defensive guard Kennedy Burke at #20 instead. If she had, the Lynx may have been experiencing a roster crunch of their own similar to PHX’s.

Reeve got Lexie Brown for the #18 pick. So far that’s looking like a good trade. The player the Sun drafted with the #18 pick got cut. So the Sun gave away Lexie Brown for nothing.

At #30, instead of gifting Whalen with an obligatory drafting of a Gopher like they often do, the Lynx should have chosen the 19 year old 6’5 Chinese center that got picked at #35. She’s not playing in the WNBA right away, but a team can hold her rights until she’s ready to play. She could be very worthy of a roster spot.

If Rebekkah Brunson decides (say, midway through the season) not to return to basketball, there is still some small probability that the Lynx might recall Kenisha at that point.
    I’m not sure why you think there’s a small probability. Even with Brunson not on the team, Bell is not on the team. The probability gets even worse with time as F@gbenle and Zandalisini may be seeking spots.
    Last edited by Shades; 05-27-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Excellent analysis, Shades - especially about the marked difference between last year’s GMing and this year’s mostly quality decisions. And when I say quality, I’m taking my bias in favor of Kenisha out of the equation since a GM must get the best talent for the team. My favoring of Bell is partly well-wishing to her, and partly selfish - since I really enjoy her style of play and wish I could continue to watch her play with a mere drive to Target Center. But GMs decide according to what they think is best for the team, not for a few fans.

> Seems to be going against that usual preference with Collier and Shepard getting so many minutes.

Yes, and I think that’s per two points. One, realizing that she’s remaking this team (and needing to do so via circumstances beyond her control), Reeve is all-in on the project and showing her adaptability to working with the new-found young talent that she has. Two, injury is forcing the issue, with Brunson out, Christmas-Kelly day-to-day, and Seimone day-to-day.

The article by Mike Cook, “Lynx rookies Napheesa Collier, Jessica Shepard spark season-opening win” https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twi...pening-win/amp talks about how well Reeve’s trust in her rookies worked out for her on that first game. Shepard became the 3rd WNBA player to nab at least 10 rebounds and 5 assists in her rookie debut (the others being Damiris Dantas and Candace Parker). Parker was also the only player to top Collier’s 27 debut points (with 34). The prior Lynx record was 21 (Maya Moore, Seimone Augustus, Charde Houston).

> You want to talk about potential? Coates was the #2 pick in 2017. ...

It was definitely a last minute gift to get Coates and Talbot (even though pulling the trigger on them was the action that slid Kenisha off the end of the roster). Similarly, Brown was a true gift from the Sun. [I think their letting her go was not so much a denial of Lexie’s potential, but more of a statement of confidence in Rachel Banham. Rach scored 7 points in 12 minutes in their opener.]

At the time that I stated that Coates and Talbot would be “filling in” I was not familiar with the two and didn’t realize their potential. Now I think it’s probably a real battle for who among the SFs and PFs and second-string Cs will stick around for the full season.

I suspect your thoughts about Zandalasini might be on target. She may be traded if there seems to be little value in playing her half a season. On the other hand, they took the trouble to put F@gbenle on temporary suspended status (plus she had a great Euro season) so she’s coming back, I suspect. That means that probably one (or more) of the current non-guards must be cut mid-season.

> I’m not sure why you think there’s a small probability (that Kenisha might be recalled if Brunson doesn’t return).

That was written before the surprise acquisition of Coates and Talbot. That’s what put her off the team regardless of Brunson. And it now seems that Brunson is not coming back this year, at least you can read that between the lines in the program notes of last Friday’s game. The earlier “small probability” was predicated on the chance that the roster slot being held for Brunson might be freed up, and they might spend that on a guard (since they had plenty of PFs and SFs on the roster, but only 4 guards, minus Bell anyway).

The current (probably even smaller) chance of Bell being recalled would only happen if ‘Mone’s knees continue to keep her sidelined excessively, such that they decided they needed 4+Mone guards instead of 3+Mone guards. Seimone might well retire after this year, but would no-doubt wait til end of season to announce, and collect the honors she deserves, like Whay did last year.

By the way, and take this with a large grain of salt since it’s just an unsubstantiated rumor heard on the street from another Lynx fan, but rumor is that Maya would come back next year for a single year.
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 05-27-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Maya signed a two-year contract with the first year being suspended, so that’s probably where the “rumor” comes from. That doesn’t necessarily mean she won’t decide to retire. Reeve has overloaded on SF’s, so she seems concerned about it.

The current (probably even smaller) chance of Bell being recalled would only happen if ‘Mone’s knees continue to keep her sidelined excessively, such that they decided they needed 4+Mone guards instead of 3+Mone guards.
    To update those not following the Lynx, the event of "Mone’s knees continue to keep her sidelined excessively" has indeed happend. Semone Augustus had arthroscopic knee surgery and is out indefinitetly (although on the sideline encouraging and coaching her team-mates) The Lynx are now down to three healthy guards "indefinitely."

This doesn't necessarily imply that the Lynx will recall Kenisha Bell anytime soon to be the "fourth healthy guard." For one thing, Sheryl Reeve also has the possibility to trade one of her surplus forwards for an under-utilized guard on some other WNBA team. Actually, Reeve has the benefit of (in a sense) Kenisha being an off-roster standby-substitute guard in the sense that she knows that Bell would take the job in a heartbeat, and she knows Bell's capabilities both from training camp and from watching her play at the Barn on many occasions.

Thus far (through game 3 anyway) the Lynx have done quite well with only three guards, winning the first three games by virtue of their multiple new talents (including rookies) all playing well. That includes a record-breaking game one by Collier and Shepard; plus as far as the guards go, all of D-Rob and Odyssey Sims and Lexie Brown playing quite well. In fact, the guard point totals in the first three outings were 34, 34 and 26.

Tuesday's game in Seattle against a depleted Storm team missing two of its biggest stars, was a different story, however. The Lynx guards looked tired. And Seattle was shooting the lights out, hitting about 60% most of the game, and 54% from three. In the end, the three Lynx guards hit 24 points, which is not too bad, but Jordin Canada and Jewell Loyd combined for 36 points, with sub Whitcomb tossing in 10 more - for a combined Seattle guard outscoring of the Lynx to the tune of +22 points.

I only saw the second half streaming on YouTube, but the 3rd and 4th quarters were some of the stranges quarters i've ever seen in WNBA basketball. In particular, Sheryl Reeve used an ineresting guard strategy in the 3rd quarter (and it was very successful). With Howard (you remember our former Lynx center who Sheryl mistakenly traded to Seattle?) sitting with 4 fouls, Reeve played what was mostly a one-guard (and rarely two-guard) strategy. Everyone else on the floor was a center or forward. Napheesa Collier, the college PF nicely converted by Sheryl into a WNBA SF, was essentially playing the SG position, and many times dribbling the ball up-court. It worked very well (until it didn't) and the Lynx took their first lead at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Then with the clock winding down in the 3rd, one of the forwards (newly promoted to guard) made a bad decision and shot and missed from 6 feet behind the arc instead of running don the clock for the last shot. Loyd took it full court for the score putting the Lynx behind again. Then in the 4th quarter (after letting the Storm out-turnover them 20-10 through three quarters) the Lynx (and mostly the Lynx guards) committed about 5 turnovers down the stretch, letting Seattle lock up their win (by 7 points). At one point I think they turned it over three possessions in a row. Adding insult to injury, one of the guards missed an easy layup. The final insult was in the waning seconds, when one of the players she acquired at the last minute in training camp (one of the two that pushed Bell off the roster) threw up a brick that missed the hoop by about 8 feet.

I think the Lynx guards were tired. They needed some rest (which they got quite effectively in the 3rd quarter via Reeve's (and I have to say this) ingenious one-guard strategy (such a contrast to the Stollings 4-guard strategy and the Whalen 3-guard strategy!). But they ran out of gas in the fourth quarter - something that Gopher fans saw a few times last season. But although Bell was partly at fault in some of those 4th-quarter Gopher meltdowns, I would argue that, at the time, the cause was mostly because Bell felt that she had to put the team on her shoulders, and she tried to accomplish too much. But at Lynx training camp, Bell learned a new way of playing guard from Reeve - namely that you don't have to put the team on your shoulders, since you have pros all around you. Bell really did learn that.

And what was missing from the Lynx at the Tuesday game was, well alright I'll say it - one Kenisha Bell. Granted I'm biased in Kenisha's favor since I'm a Gopher fan. But I will make the bald-faced claim that Kenisha Bell could have won that game for the Lynx. Simply by providing 15-20 minutes of rest for the other 3 active guards. Not to mention the turnovers that would not have been committed. Not to mention the points Kenisha would have scored herself.

The immediate cause of that Lynx loss was prolific guard turnovers in the 4th quarters. The indirect cause was Reeve's GMing decision to hoard lots of forwards like she did last year (to no avail) instead of putting a 5th guard on the team (which might have been Bell). If the 3 healthy Lynx guards continue to get tired and then play badly, then there is a small chance (don't get excited, as it's only a very remote possibility at this point) that Reeve might recall Kenisha Bell and send one of her surplus forwards packing.

I would love to see Kenisha Bell called back to the Lynx. DRob and her have some similarities in their mistakes.
    We know Kenisha can get to the basket and draw fouls, and that was reported in training camp.

To update those not following the Lynx, the event of "Mone’s knees continue to keep her sidelined excessively" has indeed happend. Semone Augustus had arthroscopic knee surgery and is out indefinitetly (although on the sideline encouraging and coaching her team-mates) The Lynx are now down to three healthy guards "indefinitely."

This doesn't necessarily imply that the Lynx will recall Kenisha Bell anytime soon to be the "fourth healthy guard." For one thing, Sheryl Reeve also has the possibility to trade one of her surplus forwards for an under-utilized guard on some other WNBA team. Actually, Reeve has the benefit of (in a sense) Kenisha being an off-roster standby-substitute guard in the sense that she knows that Bell would take the job in a heartbeat, and she knows Bell's capabilities both from training camp and from watching her play at the Barn on many occasions.

Thus far (through game 3 anyway) the Lynx have done quite well with only three guards, winning the first three games by virtue of their multiple new talents (including rookies) all playing well. That includes a record-breaking game one by Collier and Shepard; plus as far as the guards go, all of D-Rob and Odyssey Sims and Lexie Brown playing quite well. In fact, the guard point totals in the first three outings were 34, 34 and 26.

Tuesday's game in Seattle against a depleted Storm team missing two of its biggest stars, was a different story, however. The Lynx guards looked tired. And Seattle was shooting the lights out, hitting about 60% most of the game, and 54% from three. In the end, the three Lynx guards hit 24 points, which is not too bad, but Jordin Canada and Jewell Loyd combined for 36 points, with sub Whitcomb tossing in 10 more - for a combined Seattle guard outscoring of the Lynx to the tune of +22 points.

I only saw the second half streaming on YouTube, but the 3rd and 4th quarters were some of the stranges quarters i've ever seen in WNBA basketball. In particular, Sheryl Reeve used an ineresting guard strategy in the 3rd quarter (and it was very successful). With Howard (you remember our former Lynx center who Sheryl mistakenly traded to Seattle?) sitting with 4 fouls, Reeve played what was mostly a one-guard (and rarely two-guard) strategy. Everyone else on the floor was a center or forward. Napheesa Collier, the college PF nicely converted by Sheryl into a WNBA SF, was essentially playing the SG position, and many times dribbling the ball up-court. It worked very well (until it didn't) and the Lynx took their first lead at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Then with the clock winding down in the 3rd, one of the forwards (newly promoted to guard) made a bad decision and shot and missed from 6 feet behind the arc instead of running don the clock for the last shot. Loyd took it full court for the score putting the Lynx behind again. Then in the 4th quarter (after letting the Storm out-turnover them 20-10 through three quarters) the Lynx (and mostly the Lynx guards) committed about 5 turnovers down the stretch, letting Seattle lock up their win (by 7 points). At one point I think they turned it over three possessions in a row. Adding insult to injury, one of the guards missed an easy layup. The final insult was in the waning seconds, when one of the players she acquired at the last minute in training camp (one of the two that pushed Bell off the roster) threw up a brick that missed the hoop by about 8 feet.

I think the Lynx guards were tired. They needed some rest (which they got quite effectively in the 3rd quarter via Reeve's (and I have to say this) ingenious one-guard strategy (such a contrast to the Stollings 4-guard strategy and the Whalen 3-guard strategy!). But they ran out of gas in the fourth quarter - something that Gopher fans saw a few times last season. But although Bell was partly at fault in some of those 4th-quarter Gopher meltdowns, I would argue that, at the time, the cause was mostly because Bell felt that she had to put the team on her shoulders, and she tried to accomplish too much. But at Lynx training camp, Bell learned a new way of playing guard from Reeve - namely that you don't have to put the team on your shoulders, since you have pros all around you. Bell really did learn that.

And what was missing from the Lynx at the Tuesday game was, well alright I'll say it - one Kenisha Bell. Granted I'm biased in Kenisha's favor since I'm a Gopher fan. But I will make the bald-faced claim that Kenisha Bell could have won that game for the Lynx. Simply by providing 15-20 minutes of rest for the other 3 active guards. Not to mention the turnovers that would not have been committed. Not to mention the points Kenisha would have scored herself.

The immediate cause of that Lynx loss was prolific guard turnovers in the 4th quarters. The indirect cause was Reeve's GMing decision to hoard lots of forwards like she did last year (to no avail) instead of putting a 5th guard on the team (which might have been Bell). If the 3 healthy Lynx guards continue to get tired and then play badly, then there is a small chance (don't get excited, as it's only a very remote possibility at this point) that Reeve might recall Kenisha Bell and send one of her surplus forwards packing.

Caught a quick glimpse of Kenisha in the stands at the Lynx game against Phoenix last night.

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromthevalley View Post
    Caught a quick glimpse of Kenisha in the stands at the Lynx game against Phoenix last night.
    Yeah she was at the Thur Mercury game. I recognized her as she crossed the street heading to Target, while I ate my pizza on the corner, so I acknowledged her with a “Hey K.B.” to which she responded “Hey, nice to see ya.” We never met before, but she maybe recognized me as a loyal Gopher fan.

She was smiling, and bought her own ticket. At the time I was thinkin, geez at least the Lynx should buy her a season ticket, lol.

During my halftime lap around the arena, she was holding court in the hallway with new-found young female fans, waiting their turn to get their pictures taken with the Gopher basketball star. I hung with the mob for a few secs during the photoshoot.

If I had gotten a chance to chat, I would have said “I wish you were down there on the court.”

I imagine she’s also here at Target Center this afternoon for Whay-fest. Which, by the whay had a great tribute video (which I’m guessing you might view later on the Lynx web site). Good to see Rebekkah Brunson on the floor too, as part of the Whay-fest.

http://www.startribune.com/lynx-s-je...nee/511044731/

Jess Shepard out for season:

An MRI test confirmed Sunday that Lynx rookie Jessica Shepard tore the anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee when she landed awkwardly ounder the Lynx basket late in Saturday’s loss to the Los Angeles Sparks at Target Center.

She will have surgery on the knee and will miss the rest of the season.

The injury occurred with 1:42 left in the game, after Shepard went up for a shot and was fouled by the Sparks’ Tierra Ruffin-Pratt. She fell to the floor in pain and had to be helped down the tunnel and out of the arena bowl.

The 6-3 Shepard was a second-round pick out of Notre Dame. A Fremont, Neb., native, she spent her first two college seasons at Nebraska before transferring to Notre Dame. It is her second such injury; Shepard tore the ACL in her left knee as a senior in high school but was able to come back and earn freshman of the year and all-Big Ten Conference honors the following fall.

They ran a piece on Whalen during halftime of today’s WNBA game on ABC. Games on ABC are pretty rare.

Great game for AZB. I recall that she had a game of 37 points and 27 boards against Iowa, I think, in her final season for the Gophers. I'll always wish that she had stayed one more year and teamed with Banham. That would have been close to the Whalen-McCarville tandem that got us to the Final Four.