BREAKING: Spring Game moved Indoors!

Meanwhile, the Twins and United will be playing outdoors.

Regular season games hat count, and not evaluating their players.

Would have been a disservice to the team to have it at TCF. Fans will understand. A few grumpy old men will complain on GH.

I volunteer to shovel out the 85 seats needed to seat everyone safely.

I volunteer to shovel out the 85 seats needed to seat everyone safely.
giphy.gif

That's exactly why they're moving it indoors. Clearing the field for so few people isn't worth it.

Yep. They are kind of in a no-win situation. If they spend the time and money to clean out the snow and open the stadium just for a couple hundred die-hard fans, it will look pitiful on TV and they will get skewered by the local media and many "fans" for wasting money and effort. If they move the practice indoors, it pisses off those die-hard fans but it gives them a chance to show off their practice facility to potential recruits that might tune in on TV.

Personally, I think they made the right call.

Yep. They are kind of in a no-win situation. If they spend the time and money to clean out the snow and open the stadium just for a couple hundred die-hard fans, it will look pitiful on TV and they will get skewered by the local media and many "fans" for being a waste of money and effort. If they move the practice indoors, it pisses off those die-hard fans but it gives them a chance to show off their practice facility to potential recruits that might tune in on TV.

It's not like past spring games had all that many people anyway....

Yep. They are kind of in a no-win situation. If they spend the time and money to clean out the snow and open the stadium just for a couple hundred die-hard fans, it will look pitiful on TV and they will get skewered by the local media and many "fans" for wasting money and effort. If they move the practice indoors, it pisses off those die-hard fans but it gives them a chance to show off their practice facility to potential recruits that might tune in on TV.

Yeah, probably the right call.
About the only other option would be US Bank Stadium, but guessing that's not ready to go for football anyway.

Unpopular decision for some, but I'll trust PJ's judgement on this one.

I know. You're shocked.

As someone else in this thread said, camera angles will be weird. I wonder if they have a birds nest type thing that they could haul a camera up to? The coaches have to have somewhere they can see a more top down view of the field. The old outdoor practice field had one...

This is not a coaches decision or the football program's decision, although it would be the correct decision if it was. This is a facilities decision. They aren't going to waste the time and money to clear the stands, field, parking lots, sidewalks and then salt everything down for an event that is already going to lose money. The U should worry about making sure the rest of the campus is safe for travel, and not waste resources in the limited time after the storm is/was scheduled to end. If Saturday was going to be 55-60 and sunny, everything would melt and we would be a go. But that isnt the case here. Sleet and snow into Friday evening does not allow time to prepare. This isn't comparable to a Twins or United game which are set up for this and have paying customers attending. All the complaining about this from people is getting ridiculous. Especially from GopherLady, who should know better.

As someone else in this thread said, camera angles will be weird. I wonder if they have a birds nest type thing that they could haul a camera up to? The coaches have to have somewhere they can see a more top down view of the field. The old outdoor practice field had one...

There is on one end of the facility:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I have it on good authority that Casa De Autos will sponsor.

There is on one end of the facility:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'll just pretend I'm in the student section since the lower deck has a similar view. :p

This is not a coaches decision or the football program's decision, although it would be the correct decision if it was. This is a facilities decision. They aren't going to waste the time and money to clear the stands, field, parking lots, sidewalks and then salt everything down for an event that is already going to lose money. The U should worry about making sure the rest of the campus is safe for travel, and not waste resources in the limited time after the storm is/was scheduled to end. If Saturday was going to be 55-60 and sunny, everything would melt and we would be a go. But that isnt the case here. Sleet and snow into Friday evening does not allow time to prepare. This isn't comparable to a Twins or United game which are set up for this and have paying customers attending. All the complaining about this from people is getting ridiculous. Especially from GopherLady, who should know better.

While I agree with all of what you said, GopherLady has a good reason. She does a tailgate fundraiser. So not only did the organization she was fundraising for miss out, she probably has to still pay for Tailgate items.

Full confession. I'm done pouting now. I was last night. If it's for safety, I'll all for the move.

Things could be worse. In SW MN, we have 100's of power poles down from ice and strong winds. As I type this, I'm sitting in the dark because the entire city has lost power. Several highways are closed from power poles falling down and blocking the roads - not to mention those pesky live electric lines.

Things could be worse. In SW MN, we have 100's of power poles down from ice and strong winds. As I type this, I'm sitting in the dark because the entire city has lost power. Several highways are closed from power poles falling down and blocking the roads - not to mention those pesky live electric lines.

Be safe!

Thunder snow is everywhere!

LOL! If soccer players and baseball players can play their games saturday surely some tough football players can too. What a joke! Guess I'll be able to get to the new soccer stadium right noon now. Thanks for nothing gophers.

LOL! If soccer players and baseball players can play their games saturday surely some tough football players can too. What a joke! Guess I'll be able to get to the new soccer stadium right noon now. Thanks for nothing gophers.

Most of the seats at Allianz are covered and the field is heated.

The Twins are probably paying a service to come in and clear the stands.

The field isn't the reason the game is being moved, it's the stands.

40 degrees and cloudy is too rough for football these days. I know there is a soccer game that isn’t getting cancelled. Brutal decision.

So you would rather have the team play the spring game (which is just a glorified practice) outdoors on a potentially wet and slippery field to prove how tough they are? Moving it inside makes total sense for the fans that are going to attend and for TV purposes as well. Also helps eliminate some risk of injury due to crappy field conditions.

I am sure for logistical reasons they had to make the decision a few days in advance. It might not prove to be horrible on Saturday but it is not worth the risk given the kind of weather we are having right now.

Yes, let's go all out and spend what it takes for a glorified practice.

And the Twins and United will also be playing regular season games that count towards their standings. The spring game is just a spiced up practice so it is not an apples to apples comparison.

And while the Twins and United will be playing outdoors, Iowa and Wisconsin aren't even having a spring game. In other words, they won't be playing indoors or outdoors. There is a balance in there, somewhere! LMAO

And while the Twins and United will be playing outdoors, Iowa and Wisconsin aren't even having a spring game. In other words, they won't be playing indoors or outdoors. There is a balance in there, somewhere! LMAO

And Nebraska is having someone YODEL THE NATIONAL ANTHEM.

I don't know what exactly that means but I just wanted to get in on this line of thinking!

Top Bottom