Tim Miles: I grew up a Minnesota Gopher fan. I am proud of what Richard has done.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per RandBall:

Miles was a fan favorite in Nebraska, but his record was lukewarm. He finished 116-114 in seven years there, making one NCAA tournament.

“The Big Ten is so demanding. When we were not good enough, we never had enough shooting. So you think about what you’d do this or the other way, and it’s a smidgen of a decision here or there. You go back to that margin of error,” Miles said. “I grew up a Big Ten fan. I grew up a Minnesota Gopher fan. I am proud of what Richard (Pitino) has done, and I think he’s done a heck of a job. I’m disappointed most that I won’t be in the Big Ten.”

Miles’ hometown is about 250 straight west of Minneapolis, and his career path is one that has led him to be mentioned at various times as a candidate to coach the Gophers. But the timing and/or mutual interest have never connected.

Gophers hired Tubby Smith. That looked like a home run at the time, but six good but not great years later, Smith was ousted. Miles had already been at Nebraska for a year when Pitino was hired. Now Miles is out and Pitino is entrenched, fresh off an NCAA tourney win and a contract extension.

“I think Minnesota has hired really good guys,” Miles said. “I am a fan. I’m not the guy hoping for a job, I’m the guy pulling for the Gophers – except when I play them.”

http://www.startribune.com/the-long...-getting-fired-and-what-comes-next/508388732/

Go Gophers!!

Nice read

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I heart Tim Miles. Good human being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure Miles will have no trouble finding head coaching positions at another mid/low tier school, but I would sure love having Gophers bring him in as an assistant

I like Pitino. What is his record overall @ Minnesota? Too lazy to check

Great person. Hard to be a assistant when you want to do a great deal of talking. He will get another shot despite a poor record.

He was at Nebraska 7 years? Boy, where does the time go?

He was at Nebraska 7 years? Boy, where does the time go?

He was hired the year before Pitino. I remember seeing heartbroken fans here disappointed that we didn’t fire Tubby a year earlier so that we could have gotten Tim Miles.

Tim is a heck of a coach. It'll be interesting to see if Fred can improve upon his record there. It's always been a question in my mind whether Miles simply got bested by the Big Ten and the lack of foundation/tradition in Lincoln or whether he did do about as well as a guy can do there.

Tim is a heck of a coach. It'll be interesting to see if Fred can improve upon his record there. It's always been a question in my mind whether Miles simply got bested by the Big Ten and the lack of foundation/tradition in Lincoln or whether he did do about as well as a guy can do there.

He is a good coach. i remember him at Colorado St.. His teams were always pretty solid. They would probably welcome him back if he wanted the job.

Make him an assistant. He gets to keep coaching in the B1G and coach for a team he has loved.

I feel like there shouldn’t be an “or” in your last sentence.

It doesn’t matter if they have the best facilities in the nation, and 15k people will go every night no matter how he team does.

It’s still Lincoln, Nebraska, with no tradition of anything in b-ball. So here’s hoping that fact means they can never out recruit and have sustained success against the top Big Ten teams.

I think he's an outstanding coach. I don't think anyone is going to win in Lincoln. No idea what their expectations are over there to be dumping Miles. Yes, I'm a little biased because I knew him a little bit when he was at Southwest State in Marshall but I think he's a damn fine coach. He'll do just fine anywhere he goes. There's a CHANCE that the shear name recognition of Hoiberg will be enough to attract some bigger recruits but I'll believe it when I see it.

If you’re a big time recruit, big enough to move the needle in he NCAA tournament for any P5 team, and you know you’re only going to school for a year ........ you want to spend that year in Lincoln, Nebraska??

LOOOL no

Can we replace Conroy with Miles?

Rhetorical question because it won't happen, but that would be a nice trade.

If you’re a big time recruit, big enough to move the needle in he NCAA tournament for any P5 team, and you know you’re only going to school for a year ........ you want to spend that year in Lincoln, Nebraska??

LOOOL no

As opposed to Lubbock, Texas?
Coaching matters. Look at the kids that went to Texas Tech. With Hoiberg at NE, there is a new mayor in town.

LOOOL no

Really it's only 7 months, Sept - March. First 2 months are not that bad. Once the season starts spend 2-3 weeks on the road, a November trip to a warm weather tourney, Omaha not that far away, Hoiberg's track record at that bustling city of Ames, full arena, new practice facility...I could see it happening.

I'm sure Lincoln has WiFi too.

I think he's an outstanding coach. I don't think anyone is going to win in Lincoln. No idea what their expectations are over there to be dumping Miles. Yes, I'm a little biased because I knew him a little bit when he was at Southwest State in Marshall but I think he's a damn fine coach. He'll do just fine anywhere he goes. There's a CHANCE that the shear name recognition of Hoiberg will be enough to attract some bigger recruits but I'll believe it when I see it.

Name recognition of Hoiberg? Are you kidding? How many nationwide recruits do you think even know who he is? Come on, he was a journeyman NBA and a losing NBA coach. He is not Penny Hardaway. Doubt if he has a lot of clout with current HS kids! We have heard of him because he seemed like a nice guy and played for the Wolves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As opposed to Lubbock, Texas?
Coaching matters. Look at the kids that went to Texas Tech. With Hoiberg at NE, there is a new mayor in town.

We now have dust on our snowpack from Lubbock, Texas so it's a start.

Top Bottom