2019 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

SI: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 7.0: Projecting All 60 Picks After Pelicans Win Zion Sweepstakes

11.Minnesota Timberwolves TIMBERWOLVES: NASSIR LITTLE, F, NORTH CAROLINA
Height: 6’6” | Weight: 220 | Freshman

It’ll be curious to see which direction the Timberwolves go in their first draft with Gersson Rosas at the helm, and as they try to fit the right pieces around Karl-Anthony Towns. Little is an upside play who comes off a somewhat disappointing freshman season, but brings solid athletic tools to the table. There’s a degree of optimism shared by some teams about Little’s personality and work ethic, one which makes him a more appealing long-term project. He has a ways to go before getting up to speed, but athletic wings with his body type and physical ability aren’t easy to find.

43. TIMBERWOLVES (VIA HEAT): CHARLES BASSEY, C, WESTERN KENTUCKY

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/14/n...s-lakers-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett

Howl Wolves!!

per CBS:

11. TIMBERWOLVES
Rui Hachimura | Gonzaga | Jr | PF | 6-8

Hachimura, even after several seasons of seasoning in the NBA, is still a young and blossoming forward who has star power. At No. 11, the Wolves shouldn't waste a second thinking on it and snatch him up. He's not a defensive expert, but he's got the physical tools to become one. And he's not an offensive go-to, but similarly, he could be one. At the very least, he'd be an excellent option alongside Karl-Anthony Towns in the frontcourt. And Hachimura's got a bonus trait: He should be switchable either as a stretch big or as a swing man.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...d-win-chance-to-take-zion-williamson-at-no-1/

Howl Wolves!!

its such a bad draft, especially in the range the wolves are picking. Rosas already has a tough job ahead of him

The Athletic is reporting that 4 candidates outside of Saunders are going to be interviewed in the near future;

Milwaukee Bucks assistant Darvin Ham

Miami Heat assistant Juwan Howard

New Orleans Pelicans assistant Chris Finch

Portland Trail Blazers assistant David Vanterpool,

Interesting group of candidates, although Saunders is the only one technically with any NBA head coaching experience. Finch is intriguing a little; he coached the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, the G-League affiliate for Houston, while Rosas was overseeing that team during his time with the Rockets. Finch helped oversee the implementation of the system dominated by 3-pointers and shots at the rim that was eventually adopted by the Rockets and has revolutionized offense in the NBA.

Still think it's Saunders, but at least due diligence is apparently being done.

its no accident hes interviewing coaches with no NBA experience. The fix has been in with Saunders , right or wrong

He's highly regarded and has the best resume, by far, of the bunch being interviewed.

Honest question, does who ever the coach is really matter? Unless we add another super star there can't even be an expectation to compete in the west.

He's highly regarded and has the best resume, by far, of the bunch being interviewed.

Heard some interesting comments about Finch. He sounds like he's a huge influence behind how the Rockets built their NBA team and he would be the best person available to construct a team to compete in what the NBA is NOW and where it's going in the future, not where the league WAS

Honest question, does who ever the coach is really matter? Unless we add another super star there can't even be an expectation to compete in the west.

Dude, these guys in the draft are all superstars! None of them have ever missed a shot on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good question for a NBA player who isn't afraid to be honest.

I think it does matter when it comes to utilizing players minutes, spacing, etc..

Good question for a NBA player who isn't afraid to be honest.

I think it does matter when it comes to utilizing players minutes, spacing, etc..

I mean it might make a little bit of a difference but the teams that win have true super stars and it is as simple as that. We haven't drafted the right people and can't get the super star free agents so we will never win and shouldn't be expected to. Not even the greatest coach can change that. Sure they might be the difference between us just missing the playoffs vs getting a 6-8 seed and losing in the first round but coaching doesn't win championships anymore, superstars deciding to play with eachother does.

I mean it might make a little bit of a difference but the teams that win have true super stars and it is as simple as that. We haven't drafted the right people and can't get the super star free agents so we will never win and shouldn't be expected to. Not even the greatest coach can change that. Sure they might be the difference between us just missing the playoffs vs getting a 6-8 seed and losing in the first round but coaching doesn't win championships anymore, superstars deciding to play with eachother does.
...so...a circle jerk...[emoji57]

Wolves have still never moved up in the draft lottery. I saw someone post on twitter that the chances of them never moving up to this point is less than 1%. The draft lottery is a joke.

Mock Draft per The Big Lead:

11. Minnesota Timberwolves: Romeo Langford, G/F, Indiana

An injured thumb robbed Romeo Langford of his full arsenal this season, but he still put on a great as a freshman. At 6’6″ Langford has all the physical tools needed to be a successful wing scorer in the NBA. He’s an incredible finisher at the rim, a solid defender and his poor 3-point shooting should improve when his thumb has healed.

The Timberwolves want more punch on the perimeter and a young, polished scorer like Langford answers that need.

https://thebiglead.com/2019/05/15/2...a-morant-pelicans-grizzlies-knicks-reddish/3/

Howl Wolves!!

With the wolves need to be a better 3pt shooting team i wonder if they would consider Tyler Herro? Yes not a top notch athlete, but he can shoot and score.

With the wolves need to be a better 3pt shooting team i wonder if they would consider Tyler Herro? Yes not a top notch athlete, but he can shoot and score.

You are a smart man. I thought the same thing.

Not only is he a shooter, he has size, he's athletic , and is a scorer. I'm surprised he's not higher in mock drafts, and i bet he goes higher than hes currently projected

I remember the 2016 draft when Thibs wanted an athletic defensive player and took Kris Dunn. I have posts saying how much better a player, shooter, and fit Jamal Murray was. Apparently I am right every now and then. Twolves are playing 1990's basketball.

I remember the 2016 draft when Thibs wanted an athletic defensive player and took Kris Dunn. I have posts saying how much better a player, shooter, and fit Jamal Murray was. Apparently I am right every now and then. Twolves are playing 1990's basketball.

I was with you 100%. Murray was clearly better imo. Dunn has a goofy shot. Murray is smooth as silk.

I was with you 100%. Murray was clearly better imo. Dunn has a goofy shot. Murray is smooth as silk.

Thibs was all about getting to playoffs fast as possible. He was never a fit for a young team.

At this point, my preference is to shoot for the moon with that French kid and hope he hits. They need to hit a homerun.

Dunn was also over 3 years older than Murray.

Drafting old college players is a bad strategy.

per the STrib:

Wolves President of Basketball Operations Gersson Rosas has made one of his most pressing decisions in his new job – and he is keeping Ryan Saunders as head coach.

A source confirmed to the Star Tribune that Rosas and Saunders are finalizing a deal for Saunders to become the Wolves’ coach going forward.

Saunders became the interim head coach after owner Glen Taylor fired former coach and President Tom Thibodeau on Jan. 6. Under Saunders, the Wolves went 17-25 and missed the playoffs, but Saunders has strong relationships with players like Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins along with Taylor, who also owns the Star Tribune.

It was expected Saunders, 33, would become the head coach on a permanent basis, but that decision was up to Rosas. He interviewed several outside candidates for the job.

http://www.startribune.com/ryan-sau...es-head-coaching-job-nba-confirmed/510158302/

Howl Wolves!!

it was going to happen. If Rosas wanted the job, he knew what he had to do.

Yup.

People forget that Ryan and his family have an ownership interest in the team. Even though the Saunders family doesn't have a controlling interest in the team, we don't know how much they own and we don't know what was in the partnership agreement document signed by Flip and Glen. I'm sure that Flip didn't sign on as a strictly limited partner with no say in any of the decisions made at the ownership level.

Top Bottom