Shama: Rumor Musselman reached out to Coyle indicating interest in MN over Arkansas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Sunday was an interesting day for Golden Gophers basketball fans who scrutinize the program. Minnesota athletic director Mark Coyle squelched speculation he might move on from head coach Richard Pitino, and instead awarded him a contract extension. Arkansas athletic director Hunter Yurachek hired Eric Musselman as the Razorbacks basketball coach and ended any conjecture Musselman could be headed to Minneapolis as Pitino’s replacement.

This writer was told by a former college coach that Musselman expressed interest in the Minnesota job last year. There has also been a recent rumor Musselman reached out to Coyle indicating he was more interested in coming to Minnesota than leaving his job as Nevada head coach to take over at Arkansas.

Now 54 years old, Musselman may have made his last coaching stop in taking the Arkansas job. He lands in Fayetteville, instead of Minneapolis, in a less attractive place and in a less desirable job. If he had been hired by Minnesota he would have brought an impressive coaching resume including a know-how to win, and possibly a pregame warm-up show to put life back into an arena that often is lifeless and filled with thousands of empty seats. He could have rekindled memories for older fans and made new fans out of people of all ages.

Those empty seats (the Gophers sold out one home game in 2018-19) may well have played a role in Coyle sticking with Pitino, his six-year Minnesota head coach. The Gophers are dealing with budget issues and mandated cuts in the Athletic Department. Asking Pitino to leave would have cost the department millions of dollars.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

oh how juicy. We should all click on Shama's article that isn't clickbait nor another hollow grasp for traffic and discussion because it is clear he isn't biased at all

per Shama:

Sunday was an interesting day for Golden Gophers basketball fans who scrutinize the program. Minnesota athletic director Mark Coyle squelched speculation he might move on from head coach Richard Pitino, and instead awarded him a contract extension. Arkansas athletic director Hunter Yurachek hired Eric Musselman as the Razorbacks basketball coach and ended any conjecture Musselman could be headed to Minneapolis as Pitino’s replacement.

This writer was told by a former college coach that Musselman expressed interest in the Minnesota job last year. There has also been a recent rumor Musselman reached out to Coyle indicating he was more interested in coming to Minnesota than leaving his job as Nevada head coach to take over at Arkansas.

Now 54 years old, Musselman may have made his last coaching stop in taking the Arkansas job. He lands in Fayetteville, instead of Minneapolis, in a less attractive place and in a less desirable job. If he had been hired by Minnesota he would have brought an impressive coaching resume including a know-how to win, and possibly a pregame warm-up show to put life back into an arena that often is lifeless and filled with thousands of empty seats. He could have rekindled memories for older fans and made new fans out of people of all ages.

Those empty seats (the Gophers sold out one home game in 2018-19) may well have played a role in Coyle sticking with Pitino, his six-year Minnesota head coach. The Gophers are dealing with budget issues and mandated cuts in the Athletic Department. Asking Pitino to leave would have cost the department millions of dollars.

Go Gophers!!

Muss may be a great hire for Arkansas. I will say based on Nevada's effort in Des Moines, that team looked like it knew it was the end of the road.

I heard the same rumor...except my rumor also included that Hurt would have then stayed home, Zeke would have gotten a release and signed on as well, and to top it off Tre Jones would have gotten homesick and would have gotten immediate eligibility because his brother Tyus rolled his ankle in the NBA and needed his little bro closer to him!

If true, did he spend all season rooting against the gophers? Hahaha

Wonder if he reached out to Korzo too? I'd like his thoughts.

That would be a bad look for him if he reached out about a position that wasn’t open.

I heard the same rumor...except my rumor also included that Hurt would have then stayed home, Zeke would have gotten a release and signed on as well, and to top it off Tre Jones would have gotten homesick and would have gotten immediate eligibility because his brother Tyus rolled his ankle in the NBA and needed his little bro closer to him!

You forgot Coffey would have removed his name from NBA consideration and returned to Gophers, staking he’d love playing for Muss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

I am sure Built will correct this statement......

Actually, there were some rumors floating around along these lines. Could be the reason it took as long as it did for him to hook up with Arkansas--he was giving the Gophs right of first refusal.

Took awhile for Arkansas because they went hard after Sampson first. Also more wanting to see where he played on the west coast is everything I heard and read. I trust Coyle with this. If this happened and Musselman felt he was too good to pass up, he’d be here and Richard would be gone. I like Musselman, but I’m not convinced he could be our “Bo Ryan” or “Greg Marshall”.

This was reported last week on another $ite. Highly likely it’s accurate.

It was believable right up until there. :cool: The NCAA wheel of random decisions scoffs at this notion.

And this is also why Pitino’s deal was not finalized sooner, along with Pitino’s own flirtation with Arkansas.

Our timing never works out. Ugh.

Didn't click on the link, and am not going to click on it. Encourage others not to click on it, either.

Don't let these guys get paid, and get credit, for this schlock. Don't click on it.

This is a perfect use of the board. Get the gist of what was said, without having to give a click to the garbage.

Didn't click on the link, and am not going to click on it. Encourage others not to click on it, either.

Don't let these guys get paid, and get credit, for this schlock. Don't click on it.

This is a perfect use of the board. Get the gist of what was said, without having to give a click to the garbage.

I had no desire to click on the link until your post. I clicked it twice, so now you're covered.

Our timing never works out. Ugh.

It constantly reminds me of how many times Homer Simpson *almost* got rich or the castaways were *almost* rescued from the island.

I expect Pitino to have better success here over the next several seasons than Musselman will at Arkansas.

I am sure Built will correct this statement......

Actually have not heard a word about it. Never a peep about Muss looking here at any time. The statement was that there was a recent rumor. I do not consider those to be facts or confuse Shama to be Bob Woodward. People can decide for themselves what to believe.

The U of M...M stands for mediocrity.....gets rewarded in Minnesota...pathetic

When we win 4 games next year we will remember we could have had Muss or Hoiberg....ugggh...

The U of M...M stands for mediocrity.....gets rewarded in Minnesota...pathetic

When we win 4 games next year we will remember we could have had Muss or Hoiberg....ugggh...

You're just a bright ray of sunshine, sweetie.

You're just a bright ray of sunshine, sweetie.

Sorry.......what might have been......Sid often talks about how the Gophers missed out on John Wooden...Muss or Hoiberg would have been able to take what Richard has built and made it special.

It constantly reminds me of how many times Homer Simpson *almost* got rich or the castaways were *almost* rescued from the island.

It all started with a snow storm costing us John Wooden.

Top Bottom