Shama: Rumor Musselman reached out to Coyle indicating interest in MN over Arkansas

Actually have not heard a word about it. Never a peep about Muss looking here at any time. The statement was that there was a recent rumor. I do not consider those to be facts or confuse Shama to be Bob Woodward. People can decide for themselves what to believe.

Talking about Arkansas vs Minnesota with respect to which job is better.

The U of M...M stands for mediocrity.....gets rewarded in Minnesota...pathetic

When we win 4 games next year we will remember we could have had Muss or Hoiberg....ugggh...

Why don’t you just find another team to bash.. opps, I mean “support”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talking about Arkansas vs Minnesota with respect to which job is better.

To me the Minnesota job is better but to some candidates they may prefer Arkansas. They have better history and the cash from some of the worlds richest people, only game in town.

Why don’t you just find another team to bash.. opps, I mean “support”.

For one reason...this university should have expectations of being better, the best! People are actually happy with the B1G performance, losing Minnesota five stars, and getting whipped by Michigan state.
Come on folks! Set the bar higher! If TT and Auburn can make deep runs why can’t we? seriously!
We are the only D1 school in the state and should be ashamed of our poor history in football and basketball. PJ is trying to change the culture and I back him 100 percent. Richard has had 6 years of at best Mediocre basketball results and he get rewarded with an extension. My sights are set much much higher than most folks on this board.

Pretty dirty if true. Possibly could have been some mutual talk around all sides involved...Muss takes Gophers job, leaving Arkansas open for Pitino...whatever way you look at it, college coaching carousel can be dirty.

For one reason...this university should have expectations of being better, the best! People are actually happy with the B1G performance, losing Minnesota five stars, and getting whipped by Michigan state.
Come on folks! Set the bar higher! If TT and Auburn can make deep runs why can’t we? seriously!
We are the only D1 school in the state and should be ashamed of our poor history in football and basketball. PJ is trying to change the culture and I back him 100 percent. Richard has had 6 years of at best Mediocre basketball results and he get rewarded with an extension. My sights are set much much higher than most folks on this board.

We do have high expectations, but you don’t seem to understand what is going on with the basketball program. It is obvious that Pitino also has higher expectations. Very seldom do 5 star recruits stay home anywhere! It has been discussed over and over what is happening, but you choose not to listen and just use the same naive narrative.

We do have high expectations, but you don’t seem to understand what is going on with the basketball program. It is obvious that Pitino also has higher expectations. Very seldom do 5 star recruits stay home anywhere! It has been discussed over and over what is happening, but you choose not to listen and just use the same naive narrative.

I see what’s going on with the basketball program...that’s the problem here.....

Pretty dirty if true. Possibly could have been some mutual talk around all sides involved...Muss takes Gophers job, leaving Arkansas open for Pitino...whatever way you look at it, college coaching carousel can be dirty.

I don't know if I'd call that dirty. It's business.

Coyle was worried about eating the buyout so naturally, you give Pitino a contract extension. Makes perfect sense!!

+1

How long do you wait for those expectations to materialize?

Great, we will have this rumor to chase like a bunny around the track for however long Muss is at Arkansas (or anywhere else) and make meaningless and speculative comparisons. Maybe it can be the "John Wooden was supposed to come here, but a storm" of the new millennium.

Obviously you are framing it up to be extremely negative. Let me frame it up how the Current AD and the rest of us fans look at it. Richard had a good-or-better season this year, Last year was going to be a great season except for all the injuries and Lynch situation, and the year before he was Big10 coach of the year. His first couple of years were rebuilding years. Everyone here wants Big 10 titles and Final 4 appearances with the occasional Championship including us fans, the AD, the players, and Pitino.

It sounds to me like your "sights" are set much lower - you are suggesting that we disrupt the entire program and move into another few years of excuses with the next coach before he has his team and we find out if the new guy can have success here - so you can then complain about the new guy and claim your "high standards". No thanks! My sights are set higher.

There is almost no way Musselman would screw over a coaching fraternity brother by talking about another coach's position to the AD.

I just decided that I am going to set the bar higher. Final 4 or I am going to kick my dog, piss on Coyle's front door, and egg Pitino's house.

So when do we start winning big?

I just decided that I am going to set the bar higher. Final 4 or I am going to kick my dog, piss on Coyle's front door, and egg Pitino's house.

Who has the toilet paper? Or is that not compostable?

Thank you for your service. You make me feel like I'm not doing part--all I do is go and cheer.

Once everyone on the board starts making incoherent posts about not accepting mediocrity, we will go undefeated. Everyone has to do it though or it won't work.

If you don't demand that other people join you and shame the ones who won't, then you yourself are still accepting mediocrity.

At least I think those are the rules, you'd have to ask millions2spare and a couple other people on here to confirm.

Once everyone on the board starts making incoherent posts about not accepting mediocrity, we will go undefeated. Everyone has to do it though or it won't work.

If you don't demand that other people join you and shame the ones who won't, then you yourself are still accepting mediocrity.

At least I think those are the rules, you'd have to ask millions2spare and a couple other people on here to confirm.

I'm not even sure that Minnesota is good enough to be classified as "mediocre".

I'm not even sure that Minnesota is good enough to be classified as "mediocre".

"Mediocre" is one of those words that has different meaning for a lot of people. My mediocre could well smash yours and we would both be right.

"Mediocre" is one of those words that has different meaning for a lot of people. My mediocre could well smash yours and we would both be right.

Very true. In a 14 team Big 10 (5 years now), my definition would be to finish 9th or better to at least be mediocre, as that avoids Weakling Wednesday (unless there is a 3-way tie). Gophers have done that twice, 2017 & 2019.

Those were also the 2 only times in the decade 2010-19 that the Gophers finished in the top half of the Big 10.

Shama sham.

Shama gets info from unnamed former college coach who does not report his source. This could be coming from some old-timer that heard some rumors for all we know.

But the purpose of my post is to at least partly explain why I don't think Coyle or President Kaler would consider Musselman to fit the U's "culture". I dived into the Nevada athletics website for more info and here is a summary of what I noted.

Musselman played a 8 man rotation this year. All eight played at least 31 of the 34 games played and averaged at least 10 minutes per game. Among these eight players, the five starters were all 5th year seniors and all transferred in to Nevada. One was a graduate transfer and the other 4 were at Nevada for 2-3 years including redshirt seasons. Among the 3 rotational subs there was one more 5th years senior that had transferred in, a 4th year junior transfer, & a true freshman post player that was a 5 star recruit. In short, his team was loaded with a extraordinary number of transfers and the 6 top players are now leaving.

Here's how this year's roster looks class-wise: 8 seniors, 4 juniors, 0 sophomores, & 3 freshmen. Last year's roster lists 3 freshman and none are on this year's roster (which is why this year's sophomore class is empty.

With his 6 top players leaving, he signed one player for the 2019 class during the November signing period. The player is a juco transfer and appears to be a good player but who really knows about juco. The player did play his freshman season with the Akron Zips so I think there is some reason to doubt how good he really is.

The bottom line I think Musselman's roster was built with the idea of getting him a job promotion and leaving the next guy to figure it out with Nevada. I don't think any of this would work at Minnesota.

For those who would like to see for themselves, here are some links.

Roster: https://nevadawolfpack.com/roster.aspx?roster=115&path=mbball

Stats: https://nevadawolfpack.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2018

Recruit: https://nevadawolfpack.com/news/201...ns-nli-to-play-for-wolf-pack.aspx?path=mbball

Last edited:

I don’t believe the buyout was increased one cent. Doesn’t it go down a million $ after next season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have thought extending the contract would come with guarantees for Pitino. Perhaps that's not the norm for these situations.

Top Bottom