TTU vs UVA

Really awesome story about how they halted all their plans when they found out they could get Bennett. Funny thing is that he was going to tell them no thanks and wife Laurel talked him into it. What WSU lost is devastating. This will not be Bennett's best team. Huge shout out to Minneapolis for a great final 4. I go every year and have not been a stadium fan for hoops but it was amazing. Have really enjoyed my stay at the Marquette also. Party is just getting started. Bravo twin cities.[/QUOTE

I am sure they are missing you over at The Sabre.

Really awesome story about how they halted all their plans when they found out they could get Bennett. Funny thing is that he was going to tell them no thanks and wife Laurel talked him into it. What WSU lost is devastating. This will not be Bennett's best team. Huge shout out to Minneapolis for a great final 4. I go every year and have not been a stadium fan for hoops but it was amazing. Have really enjoyed my stay at the Marquette also. Party is just getting started. Bravo twin cities.[/QUOTE

I am sure they are missing you over at The Sabre.

What a awesome celebration. So many classy people to come by the UVA hotel to offer congrats. This is something we can experience. Thanks oak for your contribution to the conversation. Thanks to the folks that made this experience great.

The spirit of replay is dead.

I wish replay was never adopted in any sport. I think the negatives outweigh the positives, and often does more harm than good.

Last night with 1 minute left in OT the refs miss an obvious hack on Kyle Guy that would've put TTech on the line for 2 tying FTs. But at least it's still Tech's ball. Oh wait, after an interminable replay review they give UVA the ball back and of course cannot call the foul they missed even though that also was plain as day on the replay.

Also this business of putting points on the board long after the fact (3 pt line reviews) is just asinine. At the time it happened early in the game last night (again, in favor of Guy), I turned to my wife and said geez, I wonder if that 1 extra point will turn out to be the difference in the game. Yep.

I wish replay was never adopted in any sport. I think the negatives outweigh the positives, and often does more harm than good.

Last night with 1 minute left in OT the refs miss an obvious hack on Kyle Guy that would've put TTech on the line for 2 tying FTs. But at least it's still Tech's ball. Oh wait, after an interminable replay review they give UVA the ball back and of course cannot call the foul they missed even though that also was plain as day on the replay.

Also this business of putting points on the board long after the fact (3 pt line reviews) is just asinine. At the time it happened early in the game last night (again, in favor of Guy), I turned to my wife and said geez, I wonder if that 1 extra point will turn out to be the difference in the game. Yep.

:clap:

It did what it was supposed to do. They called the ball out on Virginia, but actually tech touched it last, so they corrected the error.

No. It did more harm than good in that situation and justice was not served.

The ball went off Tech because Virginia fouled him. In those split seconds, the ref decided not to call a foul but because of that, he appropriately gave the benefit of the doubt on a 50/50 call to Tech. This is done all the time in sports (and life) -- "rough justice" or fairness -- and replay screws it up and makes the situation worse.

It did what it was supposed to do. They calledthe ball out on Virginia, but actually tech touched it last, so they corrected the error.

No it didnt. Replay is there to help overturn horrible initial calls. Thays why the indisputable evidence hurdle is supposed to be there. Making calls like this discount all of the rest of the calls and plays from the rest of the game because they dont get looked at

I’m with you. It makes games that are already too long due to tv spots even longer. I used to think it would benefit small market teams like our Gophers, Twins, and others but I would prefer letting the officials just call to the best of their abilities. Some things are not meant to be perfect. If they ever use a ‘puter for the mlb strike zone it will be a sad day.

I hope our team and coach watched this final four and can go to work this offseason on playing lock down defense, valuing the ball, and shooting free throws better.

For basketball most of the review are out of bounds calls. If the officials are unsure, it should just be a jump ball. That's fairer that spending 5 minutes parsing whose knuckle hair touched the ball last and then taking a guess. That would eliminate 90% of replay. You can replay flagrant fouls and whether a shot was a 3.

I’m with you. It makes games that are already too long due to tv spots even longer. I used to think it would benefit small market teams like our Gophers, Twins, and others but I would prefer letting the officials just call to the best of their abilities. Some things are not meant to be perfect. If they ever use a ‘puter for the mlb strike zone it will be a sad day.

Replay reviews for ball and strike calls would be terrible. However, I do like the televised strike zone hologram used in MLB as I think it's one more tool to keep the umpires honest and sharp. I wish colleges could use it when the cameras are available.

Replay reviews for ball and strike calls would be terrible. However, I do like the televised strike zone hologram used in MLB as I think it's one more tool to keep the umpires honest and sharp. I wish colleges could use it when the cameras are available.

Yes agree!

How fun was it to watch basketball where teams play great defense, run an offense with a purpose, make FTs with the game on the line, and have guys who can knock down outside shots. Basketball can be a beautiful game when played by skilled, well coached players.

One thing on the replays -- I hope that the rules committee will forbid players on the floor to go to their benches during replays and benefiting from extra timeouts. Have them stay in the FT circle opposite their benches; if they can come up with plays on their own, great. But don't let coaches who may be out of timeouts take advantage of the replay time.

How fun was it to watch basketball where teams play great defense, run an offense with a purpose, make FTs with the game on the line, and have guys who can knock down outside shots. Basketball can be a beautiful game when played by skilled, well coached players.

One thing on the replays -- I hope that the rules committee will forbid players on the floor to go to their benches during replays and benefiting from extra timeouts. Have them stay in the FT circle opposite their benches; if they can come up with plays on their own, great. But don't let coaches who may be out of timeouts take advantage of the replay time.

Good point. They shouldnt be free. Timeouts

Great final and wonderful for the Virginia guys after what they went thru last season. I am a fan of all sports but the ncaa tournament is just the best, by far. Now the each-game-may-be-your-last drama and emotion of the amateurs is replaced by the marathon that is the nba playoffs. Other than the Jordan years and the Magic-Bird years, college playoffs are so much more interesting.

Great final and wonderful for the Virginia guys after what they went thru last season. I am a fan of all sports but the ncaa tournament is just the best, by far. Now the each-game-may-be-your-last drama and emotion of the amateurs is replaced by the marathon that is the nba playoffs. Other than the Jordan years and the Magic-Bird years, college playoffs are so much more interesting.

Agree. Two supremely well coached teams with high end talent searching for quality shots and playing great defense and low turnovers. Incredible coaching. At 73-72 TT with 2;10 left, beard who had his team in a 2-3 zone very wisely calls from the bench to go match up because looking into his defense that it will not work against the UVA blocker-mover. Bennett sees this and signals Guy who because of his intelligence and training communicate with Jerome and Hunter to go Sides offense and Guy set the screen for Hunter in role reversal and Hunter calmly knocks down the open look and they never look back. Beard is so good i lack the words to describe and really classy. TT played great defense but against the nations 2nd best offense got out done by giving up a season high 1.29 ppp to UVA. Follow Beard, he will be back to the final 4 and to stop Bill Selfs 14 year run in 3 years is incredible.

Agree. Two supremely well coached teams with high end talent searching for quality shots and playing great defense and low turnovers. Incredible coaching. At 73-72 TT with 2;10 left, beard who had his team in a 2-3 zone very wisely calls from the bench to go match up because looking into his defense that it will not work against the UVA blocker-mover. Bennett sees this and signals Guy who because of his intelligence and training communicate with Jerome and Hunter to go Sides offense and Guy set the screen for Hunter in role reversal and Hunter calmly knocks down the open look and they never look back. Beard is so good i lack the words to describe and really classy. TT played great defense but against the nations 2nd best offense got out done by giving up a season high 1.29 ppp to UVA. Follow Beard, he will be back to the final 4 and to stop Bill Selfs 14 year run in 3 years is incredible.

Came down to the fatal mistake of the TT player choosing to help rather than staying with Hunter in the corner. Wondered if Beard shouldve called a timeout and told his guys not to leave the 3 point line or perhaps foul. At any rate, am jealous of your experience with the team. Was a lot of fun watching the gophers get the upset ovet Louisville, cant imagine the craziness of what Virginia went through with winning such hotly contested games and ending up on top. Hopefully we can get there.

Came down to the fatal mistake of the TT player choosing to help rather than staying with Hunter in the corner. Wondered if Beard shouldve called a timeout and told his guys not to leave the 3 point line or perhaps foul. At any rate, am jealous of your experience with the team. Was a lot of fun watching the gophers get the upset ovet Louisville, cant imagine the craziness of what Virginia went through with winning such hotly contested games and ending up on top. Hopefully we can get there.

The play i was talking about was the overtime Hunter three, not the regulation 3. We can get there. Spent a couple days around the UVA team and staff and they are incredible young men and great families. They checked the boxes as sophmores in high school . For recruiting junkies they filled out at point with a freshman this year not rated after striking out on the first 4 choices and he was critical. Fans here need to realize that we can find guys that they have never heard of.

The play i was talking about was the overtime Hunter three, not the regulation 3. We can get there. Spent a couple days around the UVA team and staff and they are incredible young men and great families. They checked the boxes as sophmores in high school . For recruiting junkies they filled out at point with a freshman this year not rated after striking out on the first 4 choices and he was critical. Fans here need to realize that we can find guys that they have never heard of.

Love this point. Good coaches find under the radar guys that can help make an average team a good one. Not saying they have to be a superstar immediately but know their role and be able to contribute.

What a awesome celebration. So many classy people to come by the UVA hotel to offer congrats. This is something we can experience. Thanks oak for your contribution to the conversation. Thanks to the folks that made this experience great.

You are very welcome BB, and I am sure it was a very above average few days for you at Marquette and 2nd. I thought the TT and UVA fans were well represented and a pleasure to have downtown, at least when I was working or walking around.

Yes, great play to get Hunter the wide open shot. However, still mind boggling to me the defender opting to go help and leaving Hunter wide open in the corner at the end of regulation, which allowed VA to get to overtime. I dont think a high schooler would make such a mistake. Credit to Virginia for taking advantage and winning.

Yes, great play to get Hunter the wide open shot. However, still mind boggling to me the defender opting to go help and leaving Hunter wide open in the corner at the end of regulation, which allowed VA to get to overtime. I dont think a high schooler would make such a mistake. Credit to Virginia for taking advantage and winning.

This play reminded me of the 1993 nba finals game 6 when Jordan drove the lane at the end of the game with the Bulls down two. Paxson's defender inexplicably left him to stop Jordan's drive. Jordan then found Paxson for the three and one point win. Being a big Jordan fan, I was very pleased, but remembered wondering at the time if the fix was in. Inexplicable to me how a professional defender would leave the Bull's designated shooter in that situation. It happens I guess.

Top Bottom