Season Ticket Renewal Blunder (Tailgating)

Serious B1G question:

How many B1G stadiums have major parking right next to their stadiums?

Your position is that Coyle has done a good job generating football and hockey attendance and a good tailgating atmosphere?

No, but he's had a minimal impact on it. But you know that.

Market trends and prior admin. inc. MegaTongue are the major drivers in the attendance declines.

No, but he's had a minimal impact on it.

I think that's part of the problem. It's his job to make an impact

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Coyle thought the coaching change would generate a lot more ticket sales. Based on his comments, I get the feeling that Coyle - or other people behind the scenes - thought the lack of excitement around Gopher Football had a lot to do with Claeys - who some (not all) people saw as a fat, boring guy. Under this theory, bringing in a young, exciting coach like Fleck would generate more interest in the program, and result in more ticket sales.

Well, that didn't happen. As has been said countless times, MN fans base their decisions on ticket prices and perceived value. Fleck may be the most exciting guy in the world, but fans are not going to buy tickets to see the coach. Fans will buy tickets when they think the ticket price returns fair value for the level of entertainment provided by the game and the game-day experience. That is not happened up to this point.

Maybe if the Gophs rattle off a really big year - 9 or 10 wins and a big-time bowl game - that might change the equation. But, I suspect the only thing that will really move the needle is a big mea culpa from the U of M, accompanied by a reduction in ticket prices and/or mandatory donations. and that, my friends, will not happen until Floyd sprouts wings.

Market trends and <b>prior admin. inc. MegaTongue </b>are the major drivers in the attendance declines.

Coyle has been here 3-years. At what point is he accountable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Coyle thought the coaching change would generate a lot more ticket sales. Based on his comments, I get the feeling that Coyle - or other people behind the scenes - thought the lack of excitement around Gopher Football had a lot to do with Claeys - who some (not all) people saw as a fat, boring guy. Under this theory, bringing in a young, exciting coach like Fleck would generate more interest in the program, and result in more ticket sales.

Well, that didn't happen. As has been said countless times, MN fans base their decisions on ticket prices and perceived value. Fleck may be the most exciting guy in the world, but fans are not going to buy tickets to see the coach. Fans will buy tickets when they think the ticket price returns fair value for the level of entertainment provided by the game and the game-day experience. That is not happened up to this point.

Maybe if the Gophs rattle off a really big year - 9 or 10 wins and a big-time bowl game - that might change the equation. But, I suspect the only thing that will really move the needle is a big mea culpa from the U of M, accompanied by a reduction in ticket prices and/or mandatory donations. and that, my friends, will not happen until Floyd sprouts wings.

I agree for the most part. Coyle thought that excitement around PJ would sell tickets - it hasn't thus far (in fact, aren't sales actually down?). I think now they are banking on winning curing everything (which, I think PJ has a good shot to get us to the 9 or 10 win level in the near future so it may eventually work out) as they really have refused to get creative to get back season ticket holders.

Market trends and prior admin. inc. MegaTongue are the major drivers in the attendance declines.

Coyles been here three years, and we have done worse than average relative to other big ten schools despite the market conditions. At some point it's his job to see results.

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" -Winston Churchill

It would be interesting to know how much control Coyle has over ticket pricing. He did advocate and get the third rail of the Teague three year suicide pact increase program forestalled. I would think that means he could change pricing but maybe he can only advocate it and that final decision that affects revenue has to have president or BOR approval.

Blame the past Administration...Where have we heard that before??? If Coyle is not responsible for attending to market trends that impact the major business he oversees, then what is his role?

Mega Tongue devised and implemented a terribly flawed plan. Since he has been here Coyle has demonstrated little to no tangible response to the obvious issues in front of him. From what I can tell, his development of the "Fan Advisory Board" has really been a beacon of productivity. Check out their web page @gophersports.com to see all they have accomplished to date.

It would be interesting to know how much control Coyle has over ticket pricing. He did advocate and get the third rail of the Teague three year suicide pact increase program forestalled. I would think that means he could change pricing but maybe he can only advocate it and that final decision that affects revenue has to have president or BOR approval.

I think it is purely an athletic department decision. Not sure the BOR is involved, and if they're smart the BOR shouldn't want to be involved.

Top Bottom