Richard Pitino agrees to a two-year contract extension with Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino has agreed to a two-year contract extension to remain at the school, according to a release.

"My family and I have loved living in the Twin Cities the last six years," Pitino said. "We have met so many wonderful, supportive people. It's an honor to be able to continue to lead this Gopher basketball program. I enjoy working with my athletics director, Mark Coyle, every day. I would like to thank Mark, President Kaler, and the University for continuing to believe in me. I look forward to continuing to move this special program forward."

Pitino has a 112-92 record at Minnesota, including a 40-70 mark in the Big Ten. The Gophers showed signs of promise last season during a run into the NCAA Tournament. Pitino helped lead the program to its second NCAA Tournament win since 1990 during an 86-76 win over Louisville in March. Athletic director Mark Coyle obviously felt like the team's progress, including two wins over Purdue and an NCAA Tournament victory have the program heading in a desirable direction.

"I am excited for Coach Pitino to continue to lead our men's basketball program," Coyle said in the statement. "Coach Pitino has developed All-Big Ten players, led deep runs into the Big Ten tournament and earned the school's ninth-ever NCAA tournament win this year. I look forward to him advancing the program further in the upcoming years."

After Pitino's name being tossed around in the head coaching sweepstakes at Arkansas, the Razorbacks are zeroing in on Nevada's Eric Musselman, according to Jeff Goodman.

Pitino is now under contract at Minnesota through the 2023-24 season and terms of the new deal have not been disclosed.

Last edited:

Top Bottom