Richard Pitino receives a two year extension

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!
This is a paper extension with those buyout terms. No issue with it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pitino has two more years minimum IMO.
Even if next year is bad.
I don’t really like it, but people are going to have to get over it.

Did you happen to see the buyout terms posted by Bleed Gopher after your post?

The buyout at the end of next year is $2 million. That's a half million less than the buyout received by Miles after 7 years and that amount won't be a big roadblock to moving on if the decision makers want to. I'd say that if he has a bad year next season his chances of remaining aren't better than 50/50.

I think this was the right move. Hopefully, it will permit Pitino to close out this year's recruiting on a strong note.

The better question, when does his statue go up outside Williams? 2037, 2040....

That buyout is reasonable, but at the same time Richard can pick up and leave without a 2nd thought either.

I'm ok with the latter turns out to be true.

Good move. The guy knows the game, he just needs some better luck.

That buyout is reasonable, but at the same time Richard can pick up and leave without a 2nd thought either.

Not entirely. The posted terms state that he owes the university $500 K if he terminates the agreement. Depending upon where he goes, that could take a significant bite out of his first year salary anyway. Currently, the top 55 paying schools pay $2 million or more. Go below the top 69 and the total compensation is less than $1 million. Of course, not every school reported so the actual numbers of schools in those categories could be little different.

Source: USA Today

Such a "meh" coach, we should have higher expectations. And for those that say "well who could we have gotten better" I dont know, but I know Texas Tech is happy they didnt fight to keep "meh" Tubby around and gave an up and come a chance

You realize that MN gave a few "up and comers" a chance... don't you???
If every "up and comer" made it to the championship game, programs would hire new coaches annually. Most don't do well. Texas Tech got lucky.

Last edited:

I think if Amir comes back then this extension was the right move, if Amir is gone then we should have hired someone else and get a head start on the rebuild process.

Some of you guys must have smoked your breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Who wants to bet the buyout goes down considerably after next season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tubby says hi.
Yes and that has been discussed a dozen time. All the more reason you wouldn't do it again. We'd be a national laughingstock if we did it twice in a row.

If this thread is symbolic of Gopher Hole, then the inmates have taken over the asylum and and GH is DEAD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coaches don't get fired when they make the NCAAs tournament much less the second round. That ship sailed the minute we beat Penn State. I didn't say it was a good day. It's just not unexpected or worth getting upset about.

And no teams don't usually fire football coaches after 9-4 seasons but I'm not interested in re-litigating that.

Tubby did that and got fired...

Tubby did that and got fired...

Yes, that's been noted previously. Perhaps you could have read a little further to see howeda7's follow up post.

If this thread is symbolic of Gopher Hole, then the inmates have taken over the asylum and and GH is DEAD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What "dread" are you talking about?

Yes and that has been discussed a dozen time. All the more reason you wouldn't do it again. We'd be a national laughingstock if we did it twice in a row.

Yes, of course. The program would be seen as a poor risk/reward opportunity to potential coaches (more than it might be now). In retrospect, one has to wonder what the hell Teague was thinking. He fired a coach who hadn't had a losing season in 6 years, had 5 post-season appearances, and just won an NCAA tournament game. To top it off, he was offering low-end power conference compensation. No wonder all he got was an ambitious but untested green horn coach.

I think this was the right move. Hopefully, it will permit Pitino to close out this year's recruiting on a strong note.

To whatever degree contract extensions factor into recruiting, I don't think this helps. If people were previously negatively recruiting against Pitino based on his contract situation, they can still easily do so based on the minuscule buyout. I think this puts the chances that Pitino will be here for the end of a 2020 kid's 4 years at less than 20%.

Of course, with how easy it is to transfer these days, perhaps coaching stability doesn't matter at all. It probably shouldn't.

Tre chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Coach Pitino chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

As someone who is not at all sold on Pitino (believe I'm what a few of you call a "Pitino hater"), I have no problem with this at all. Added a couple years, got a bit of a raise, and the buyout is reasonable. Pretty much exactly what some of us had discussed on here a week or so ago.

Yes, of course. The program would be seen as a poor risk/reward opportunity to potential coaches (more than it might be now). In retrospect, one has to wonder what the hell Teague was thinking. He fired a coach who hadn't had a losing season in 6 years, had 5 post-season appearances, and just won an NCAA tournament game. To top it off, he was offering low-end power conference compensation. No wonder all he got was an ambitious but untested green horn coach.

That was a head scratcher for sure. I always have a problem with firing a coach whose on court results in the last season dont merit it because of "fan enthusiasm" or "ticket sales." If in a potential hire, my reaction would be "hey, if I win the games, the marketing folks should be able to sell the damn tickets."

Legitimately makes no difference in terms of the overall budget and will factor 0% in Coyle's decision to retain him next year or not. Have no idea why so many are up in arms about an extension that hopes simply to not hamstring the coach's ability to attract recruits while the buyout is not going to hurt the program markedly in the long run? If you think Coyle doesn't know how to run this simple of numbers, you are without hope.

Have written before that I like Pitino's x's and o's, player development, relationship building. My concern is recruiting. Hopefully this is an indication that recruiting is in a better place than it now appears.

We wouldn't be in this situation had players not made some poor choices and injuries. I still think he is on a short leash and if they bomb a season he is gone. However he continues to grow on me a bit. I want him and the program to be successful.

Top Bottom