Richard Pitino receives a two year extension

Yes, of course. The program would be seen as a poor risk/reward opportunity to potential coaches (more than it might be now). In retrospect, one has to wonder what the hell Teague was thinking. He fired a coach who hadn't had a losing season in 6 years, had 5 post-season appearances, and just won an NCAA tournament game. To top it off, he was offering low-end power conference compensation. No wonder all he got was an ambitious but untested green horn coach.

Tubby also never had a season with an above .500 conference record, and his last two recruiting classes consisted of Wally Ellensen, Charles Buggs, Alvin Ellis, and Alex Foster. The future was bleak.

Tubby also never had a season with an above .500 conference record, and his last two recruiting classes consisted of Wally Ellensen, Charles Buggs, Alvin Ellis, and Alex Foster. The future was bleak.

Amazing how people forget that. Teague may have been a sleazeball and his ego may have told him he knows all about hiring basketball coaches, but even a guy with a smaller ego and more acceptable moral life could easily have come to the same conclusion that he did with Tubby. Recruiting was going south in a hurry and everyone could see it, and it was not just about landing or not landing top Minnesota players. The recruiting classes in tow were heading for a disaster on the court. Most people saw that. Unfortunately, unless Pitino does something just sort of miraculous in this spring recruiting, there is real risk of a similar scenario in a year or two.

I prefer the way Pitino runs his program than how Hoiberg has done it historically

I've never understood this narrative that gets passed around the campfire like it's gospel truth. Many, many teams recruited transfers at the same frequency as Hoiberg's ISU teams. Hoiberg also recruited from the high school ranks quite well. He has five former ISU players in the NBA right now, and three of them were four-year Cyclone players (Monte Morris, Georges Niang, Naz Long).

I like Hoiberg as a coach and a recruiter.... however, his longevity would be what I question(always looking for that next NBA job) and frankly would not want him for that reason alone.

In my glancing at previous posts in this thread, I did not find an answer to the following question. Does this extension do anything to lower the buyout of his "base" contract?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In my glancing at previous posts in this thread, I did not find an answer to the following question. Does this extension do anything to lower the buyout of his "base" contract?

Someone on twitter last night said it is pretty much the same. Not 100% sure though.

Legitimately makes no difference in terms of the overall budget and will factor 0% in Coyle's decision to retain him next year or not. Have no idea why so many are up in arms about an extension that hopes simply to not hamstring the coach's ability to attract recruits while the buyout is not going to hurt the program markedly in the long run? If you think Coyle doesn't know how to run this simple of numbers, you are without hope.

At the same time, when Maturi was the AD, he was ripped for a perceived pattern of giving coaches extensions one year, and firing them the next year. Now, I understand there may be a lot of circumstances that lead up to those decisions, but for the casual fan, it still looks like "he gave the guy an extension, and then he fired him."

a 2-year extension is seen as re-affirming the school's commitment to the coach. If you have any doubts about the coach's long-term future, you could always give out a 1-year extension. I don't see Coyle pulling the plug unless things go completely off the rails next season - or if there is another major off-court incident.

Much better buyout terms for the school in this one.

Fired on or before 4/30/2020 -- $2M buyout
Fired between 5/1/2020 and 4/30/2021 -- $1.75M buyout
Fired between 5/1/2021 and 4/30/2022 -- $1.5M buyout
Fired between 5/1/2022 and 4/30/2023 -- $1M buyout
No buyout if fired after 4/30/2023

https://kstp.com/kstpImages/repository/cs/files/PitinoContract.pdf

Yep. The reality is that Teague had decided to fire him by mid-February and beating #1 Indiana and eeking into the tournament wasn't going to change his mind. I suppose Coyle could make the same argument, but it would be a much harder sell this time given the freshman class is solid and the lone 2019 recruit looks solid too.

Yep. The reality is that Teague had decided to fire him by mid-February and beating #1 Indiana and eeking into the tournament wasn't going to change his mind. I suppose Coyle could make the same argument, but it would be a much harder sell this time given the freshman class is solid and the lone 2019 recruit looks solid too.

Sounds easier to me. Freshmen are already here. One 2019 recruit means new HC could have brought in own recruits.

where have you been howy?

This Point right here is why I give Pitino a pass on years 2-3 here. He came into a program with solid upperclassmen but his upcoming sophomores were not good and his first recruiting class was horrible because he had 2 months to put it together. We have people calling him out for how horrible his conference record is when 2 of his three worst years were from Tubby's malpractice. I think Pitino earned his extension and I think he's earned the right for another 2 years before we stat talking about a new coach.

Again, that just has not been the case with Gophs basketball. Think about this, since the end of the 2017-18 regular season (about 13 months) there have been 90+ new HCs hired in Div 1 basketball. In fact it hasn't been the case at the U across athletics. Football is the closest and that is the nature of HC position at P5 schools.

If you think MennoSota cares about logic, you haven't been reading this board.

Bleed Gopher posted the buyout terms by year. It's about a million less next year than it would have been after this year.

We have people calling him out for how horrible his conference record is when 2 of his three worst years were from Tubby's malpractice. .

His two worst years were from his own malpractice and some bad luck (there was only one Tubby player (Buggs) on his 3rd season team). His third worst year was his second year which I still consider to be a major underachievement.

His two worst years were from his own malpractice and some bad luck (there was only one Tubby player (Buggs) on his 3rd season team). His third worst year was his second year which I still consider to be a major underachievement.

Hmmm - there should be a half dozen of the former coach's players on your 3rd season team...unless the previous coach had stopped recruiting....

So thanks for getting to the bottom of why year 3 was so bad.

Hmmm - there should be a half dozen of the former coach's players on your 3rd season team...unless the previous coach had stopped recruiting....

So thanks for getting to the bottom of why year 3 was so bad.

That roster still had Nate Mason, Joey King, Jordan Murphy and Dupree McBreyer. That was not 9-22 talent. They should have won at least 6-7 more games than they did. It was not a well coached season.

Doesn't that prove my point? He had to dump the sub par players tubby had brought in and get kids on scholarship that had the talent to get him wins down the road. Pitino actually did a good job of this too, if I recall his third season he had Joey King, Nate Mason, Murphy, Dupree, Kevin Dorsey, JR, Squirrel, Bakary, Gas, Lynch (sitting), Fitz (sitting), Buggs, another kid, and Steph Sharpe (walk-on who started).

His out of highschool guys were Nate, Murph, Dupree, JR, Dorsey, Bakary, Gas. they were all underclassmen at the time and they were homerun or strikeout but the best of that core developed and the next year they were the 4th team in the big ten. The Big Ten is tough to win when you're entire team is underclassmen. Pitino knew what he was getting himself into when he overhauled the lineup, but if you look at it, his strategy paid off. Take away the most snake bitten team I've ever seen, and we would have 3 straight tournament appearances with players who had matured under his system.

Bottom line Tubby failed to recruit his final two seasons and Pitino gets the blame for it.

That roster still had Nate Mason, Joey King, Jordan Murphy and Dupree McBreyer. That was not 9-22 talent. They should have won at least 6-7 more games than they did. It was not a well coached season.

We could look at the Pitt Panthers this season for a comparison. Capel took over a team that had been 0-18 in conference the year before and had a significant number of players transfer out. 3 of his 4 regular starters were freshman. They still finished 14-19.

Doesn't that prove my point? He had to dump the sub par players tubby had brought in and get kids on scholarship that had the talent to get him wins down the road. Pitino actually did a good job of this too, if I recall his third season he had Joey King, Nate Mason, Murphy, Dupree, Kevin Dorsey, JR, Squirrel, Bakary, Gas, Lynch (sitting), Fitz (sitting), Buggs, another kid, and Steph Sharpe (walk-on who started).

His out of highschool guys were Nate, Murph, Dupree, JR, Dorsey, Bakary, Gas. they were all underclassmen at the time and they were homerun or strikeout but the best of that core developed and the next year they were the 4th team in the big ten. The Big Ten is tough to win when you're entire team is underclassmen. Pitino knew what he was getting himself into when he overhauled the lineup, but if you look at it, his strategy paid off. Take away the most snake bitten team I've ever seen, and we would have 3 straight tournament appearances with players who had matured under his system.

Bottom line Tubby failed to recruit his final two seasons and Pitino gets the blame for it.

Sorry but that is so wrong. He had Andre Hollins and Mo Walker who were Tubby recruits in his second year as Gopher coach. Chris Beard made the Elite 8 his second year after Tubby, and the Championship game in year three. Stop blaming Pitino's failures on Tubby. Year three is on him, not Tubby.

Tubby's recruiting sucked those last two years, but Pitino's has had a ton of swing and misses on his own recruits

Sorry but that is so wrong. He had Andre Hollins and Mo Walker who were Tubby recruits in his second year as Gopher coach. Chris Beard made the Elite 8 his second year after Tubby, and the Championship game in year three. Stop blaming Pitino's failures on Tubby. Year three is on him, not Tubby.

Go look at that roster. He had 3 poisitions with a quality starter (Hollins, Mo, and freshman Nate) and 3 more players (King, Mathieu, Elliason) who should have gotten minutes. the rest of that team was ugly.

Go look at that roster. He had 3 poisitions with a quality starter (Hollins, Mo, and freshman Nate) and 3 more players (King, Mathieu, Elliason) who should have gotten minutes. the rest of that team was ugly.

But by year three that isn't on Tubby anymore....that's all I'm saying.

And also, how is that roster any different than the roster and the time deserved on the team this last year? That was his 6th season as coach and how many other players who didn't start deserved minutes?

Pitino's underclassmen on that team grew into very good players. The upperclassmen that Tubby recruited were nonexistent. Pitino only had a few weeks to bring in players his first class so he didn't have a junior class truly.

Pitino's underclassmen on that team grew into very good players. The upperclassmen that Tubby recruited were nonexistent. Pitino only had a few weeks to bring in players his first class so he didn't have a junior class truly.

Andre and Austin Hollins were very good players and played one or two years for Pitino. Mo Walker also turned out to be a good player by the time he was a senior. Any new coach into any program will be in the same position that he was in after a coach was fired. Year two was a disappointment, we had won the NIT the year before and had most of our players back. By year three the season is on him....not Tubby anymore.

I don't think Pitino should have been fired this last year, and never even voted to fire him on the polls that were put up asking that question. But there are things I find concerning with this program. His best year should be an average year, and last year should be a below average year for this program. That's where I would like to see Gopher basketball at.

Pitino has to take some responsibility, but he was put in a very tough spot since he had such little time to put together his first class and Tubby left him with an outrageously bad freshman/sophomore class. Most teams largely depend on upperclassmen. Pitino's 3rd year team couldn't because of what Tubby left him with.

Pitino has to take some responsibility, but he was put in a very tough spot since he had such little time to put together his first class and Tubby left him with an outrageously bad freshman/sophomore class. Most teams largely depend on upperclassmen. Pitino's 3rd year team couldn't because of what Tubby left him with.

nm

Top Bottom