Richard Pitino receives a two year extension

Maybe he can hire his dad as an assistant...then I am all for the hire....

This extension was not on the table a 1 year extension was. Pitino played it smart and Coyle came back with the 2 year extension offer.

Thanks for the info - I didn’t know that. Sounds like Coyle messed up.

Makes me feel a little better about Pitino but I’m still upset he didn’t use this week to promote the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe he can hire his dad as an assistant...then I am all for the hire....
He'd have as good a chance being allowed to hire Clem Haskins. The U would never allow it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would take Musselman, Oates and even Hoiberg over Pitino. The fact that they all took equal/lesser jobs this year is going to sting if we go 4-14 next year. If Coffey leaves that is a real possibility.

Not possible....it's a 20 game B1G schedule.

When we had musseelman and hoiberg as replacement options, the extension might be end up being a fireable offense....

Musselman sucks and would flame out quickly here ImO
I would’ve liked Hoiberg, but he could be working for the timberwolves in 3 years.

Did not the previous football coach get canned for lackluster recruiting and missing in state players...2 years is At least one too many

Comparing him to Claeys proves what an idiot you are.

They both had a sex scandal at similar times.
Pitino handled a sex scandal with class and dignity and brought as little negative attention to the program as possible.
Claeys handled it in a way where he blew it up into a national scandal. He publicly embarrassed the AD.

If Pitino was as dumb as Claeys at handling PR, he would also be fired.

I'd rather have Pitino than Hoiberg or Musselman. I'd probably take a guy like Craig Smith over Hoiberg and Musselman too. I think Hoiberg will be gone if he gets any chance to get to the NBA again and know he absolutely hates recruiting. Musselman I'm just not sold on. His Nevada team this year vastly underachieved and his roster had 10/13 scholarship players as transfers this year.
Musselman also is one of the biggest tools in college basketball.
Say what you want about Fleck and Brewster’s personas, but at least they never take their shirts off at the end of the game.

A two year extension! Well, that's usually the kiss of death.:(

It had to be done. Anyone getting upset about this is unreasonable. The recruiting between now and November will mostly determine his fate.

Thanks for being the voice of reason.

If I were Coyle, I'd take this next year to keep a close eye on other promising coaches, including and particularly Craig Smith. If he continues to do good work with Utah State and Richard continues to operate a shaky ship in terms of roster management and on-court consistency, make a move.

Musselman sucks and would flame out quickly here ImO
I would’ve liked Hoiberg, but he could be working for the timberwolves in 3 years.

other than your opinion, what basis do you have for your take? His CBA and D-league success alone shows he knows how to develop players.

other than your opinion, what basis do you have for your take? His CBA and D-league success alone shows he knows how to develop players.

He hasn’t built a program at Nevada that would be able to sustain in a major conference.
This years great team would’ve been a bubble team if they played a big 12 or big 10 schedule.
He is old.
He is a piece of work and he media would quickly turn on him here.

You’re right though. That’s my opinion. Kind of like it is your opinion he is good.
That’s how opinions work.

Thanks for being the voice of reason.

If I were Coyle, I'd take this next year to keep a close eye on other promising coaches, including and particularly Craig Smith. If he continues to do good work with Utah State and Richard continues to operate a shaky ship in terms of roster management and on-court consistency, make a move.

The AD put himself in this no-win situation. There should be a very short leash, crystal clear expectations, and sufficient amount of pressure for Richard.

He hasn’t built a program at Nevada that would be able to sustain in a major conference.
This years great team would’ve been a bubble team if they played a big 12 or big 10 schedule.
He is old.

You’re right though. That’s my opinion. Kind of like it is your opinion he is good.

Was Richard in a major conference?
Most teams not in major conferences are bubble teams. So only hire from the major conferences?
Don't get the age comment.

If the buyout didn’t change or didn’t change much, this isn’t a big deal at all. The worst thing Coyle could have done is do nothing. Either extend him or fire him.

Was Richard in a major conference?
Most teams not in major conferences are bubble teams. So only hire from the major conferences?
Don't get the age comment.

Not comparing him to pitino.
I am on the record on how I feel about pitino. Don’t really think he is going to get the job done.
But I’d rather have pitino than musselman.
I think his personality is a horrible fit for this area. The media would turn on him quickly.

As as far as the age thing. I was misinformed.
I thought he was 62 for some reason. He isn’t, so that’s less of a concern to me.

The AD put himself in this no-win situation. There should be a very short leash, crystal clear expectations, and sufficient amount of pressure for Richard.

Pitino has two more years minimum IMO.
Even if next year is bad.
I don’t really like it, but people are going to have to get over it.

Pitino has two more years minimum IMO.
Even if next year is bad.
I don’t really like it, but people are going to have to get over it.

Perhaps he resigns if it gets bad next year.

Not comparing him to pitino.
I am on the record on how I feel about pitino. Don’t really think he is going to get the job done.
But I’d rather have pitino than musselman.
I think his personality is a horrible fit for this area. The media would turn on him quickly.

As as far as the age thing. I was misinformed.
I thought he was 62 for some reason. He isn’t, so that’s less of a concern to me.

Have you seen his wife? She's hot!

No problem with the extension. Next year will determine his fate. Need a middle of the big ten finish (stay out of Wednesday in BTT) and good recruiting results that gives confidence we’re successfully reloading.

I saw a significant improvement in preparation, scouting and game planning for games this season. The assistants we brought in last summer are a definite improvement to this program. We will continue to see improvement in individual player development, team defense and competitive success. People who are whining are those who think the grass is greener on the other side. They can keep whining, it makes for conversation on a discussion board. If the whiners had their way, the Gophers would be changing out coaches every two or three years. This would give them their whine fix.
Congratulations, Coach Pitino, on your extension. Go out and improve off this season.

I saw a significant improvement in preparation, scouting and game planning for games this season. The assistants we brought in last summer are a definite improvement to this program. We will continue to see improvement in individual player development, team defense and competitive success. People who are whining are those who think the grass is greener on the other side. They can keep whining, it makes for conversation on a discussion board. If the whiners had their way, the Gophers would be changing out coaches every two or three years. This would give them their whine fix.
Congratulations, Coach Pitino, on your extension. Go out and improve off this season.

Again, that just has not been the case with Gophs basketball. Think about this, since the end of the 2017-18 regular season (about 13 months) there have been 90+ new HCs hired in Div 1 basketball. In fact it hasn't been the case at the U across athletics. Football is the closest and that is the nature of HC position at P5 schools.

As someone not impressed i do think this is the right move. Unable to upgrade this covers a recruiting window and still leaves room for change if we are 8th next year.

He is old.

He's coaching at Nevada.

I'll try again.......he's coaching at friggin Nevada!

Wow. The gloomy, rainy day bringing out the worst in many. Let’s see what Pitino does. I thought we saw players improve this year, defense improved this year... hoping to see another step forward next year. If not, some of you will get your wish. If he does, I hope you support your coach.

Wow. The gloomy, rainy day bringing out the worst in many. Let’s see what Pitino does. I thought we saw players improve this year, defense improved this year... hoping to see another step forward next year. If not, some of you will get your wish. If he does, I hope you support your coach.

you serious bro? how about you take your own advice and support the football coach. oh wait, he has a slogan you don't like. my gosh the hypocrisy of some is endless.

as far as coach p, do work in recruiting and we'll be fine. don't and he'll be done.

Kind of like how you support the football coach, right?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Gopherhole never disappoints. LOL. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Such a "meh" coach, we should have higher expectations. And for those that say "well who could we have gotten better" I dont know, but I know Texas Tech is happy they didnt fight to keep "meh" Tubby around and gave an up and come a chance

Top Bottom