Richard Pitino receives a two year extension

GopherLady

Reaction score
Pitino, Gophers Agree to Contract Extension

The University of Minnesota has agreed to a two-year contract extension with head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino. The agreement is subject to Board of Regents approval.

"My family and I have loved living in the Twin Cities the last six years," said Pitino. "We have met so many wonderful, supportive people. It's an honor to be able to continue to lead this Gopher basketball program. I enjoy working with my athletics director, Mark Coyle, every day. I would like to thank Mark, President Kaler, and the University for continuing to believe in me. I look forward to continuing to move this special program forward."

"I am excited for Coach Pitino to continue to lead our men's basketball program," said Coyle. "Coach Pitino has developed All-Big Ten players, led deep runs into the Big Ten tournament and earned the school's ninth-ever NCAA tournament win this year. I look forward to him advancing the program further in the upcoming years."

Pitino recently completed his sixth season at the helm of Gopher basketball, leading the team to its second NCAA Tournament berth in the last three years. In the first round of the East Regional, Pitino's Gopher squad upset No. 7-seed Louisville, marking just the second NCAA tournament victory since 1990.

Since arriving in Minneapolis, Pitino's players have earned seven All-Big Ten honors including first team selection Jordan Murphy and third team honoree Amir Coffey this year. His record at Minnesota stands at 112-91, including three 20-win seasons during his tenure.

It would have been a firing offense for the AD to bring him back without an extension, that would have been the recipe for disaster. Still not sold on him, but hoping for the best.

I am very happy for this fanbase. You obviously deserved some good news on the coaching front.

When we had musseelman and hoiberg as replacement options, the extension might be end up being a fireable offense....

Have written before that I like Pitino's x's and o's, player development, relationship building. My concern is recruiting. Hopefully this is an indication that recruiting is in a better place than it now appears.

Glad this is over. I'm pretty upset at the way Pitino handled this given how much support we've given him throughout the years. Glad we aren't taking a downgrade but a little concerned we are going to deal with the same "will he, won't he" next year.

Glad this is over. I'm pretty upset at the way Pitino handled this given how much support we've given him throughout the years. Glad we aren't taking a downgrade but a little concerned we are going to deal with the same "will he, won't he" next year.

Am I missing something?

Am I missing something?

This extension has been on the table for days. Coyle never put in motion any efforts to replace him.

I'm upset that we wasted valuable days of exposure to the program during the final four. Look at what Fleck is doing. That's what Pitino should be doing too but he's been too focused on flirting with Arkansas (which he never would have taken) to be on press row.

Plenty of good seats available at Williams Arena next year!

Literally every coach flirts with other schools for a pay bump. Even someone who’s as safe as Calipari is at Kentucky was linked to the UCLA gig. Pitino’s not going to leave for anything less than a clear upgrade which is a blue blood or close to that (Somewhere like Syracuse). I think he’s pretty comfortable here. Simply playing the game.

STrib: Richard Pitino agrees to two-year extension with Gophers through 2024

With the Gophers winning their first NCAA tournament game since 2013 this season, Richard Pitino agreed to a two-year contract extension through the 2023-24 season, the Gophers announced Sunday.

Pitino, 35, went 112-92 in six seasons at Minnesota, including 40-70 in the Big Ten, but he took the program to the NCAA tournament in two of the last three seasons. The Gophers (22-14) fell to Michigan State in the second round after beating Louisville to open the NCAA tourney in Des Moines.

The terms of the new agreement have not been released yet. As part of Pitino's last one-year extension signed in 2017, he was to receive a $450,000 incentive if he was still coaching at Minnesota on April 30, 2019. His salary this season was $2.2 million annually, while Pitino's buyout was $3 million if he left or was dismissed after this season.

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...xtension-with-gophers-through-2024/508235462/

Go Gophers!!

Have written before that I like Pitino's x's and o's, player development, relationship building. My concern is recruiting. Hopefully this is an indication that recruiting is in a better place than it now appears.

IMO his x/o, player development and game planning have all been underwhelming.

It had to be done. Anyone getting upset about this is unreasonable. The recruiting between now and November will mostly determine his fate.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Did not the previous football coach get canned for lackluster recruiting and missing in state players...2 years is At least one too many

IMO his x/o, player development and game planning have all been underwhelming.
I feel they started out OK and stalled or went backwards when McHale left. I was surprised no effort was made to bring him back when we had openings last year.

It had to be done. Anyone getting upset about this is unreasonable. The recruiting between now and November will mostly determine his fate.

Say what? Coyle could have just as easily pulled a Tracy Clays and hired a coach with much more upside. Contrary to everyone’s opinion on this board, It is not a good day for Gopher hoops.

Say what? Coyle could have just as easily pulled a Tracy Clays and hired a coach with much more upside. Contrary to everyone’s opinion on this board, It is not a good day for Gopher hoops.

Like who? There are no great candidates out there that are guaranteed to be better than Pitino, even when Musselman and Hoiberg were available.

Pitino earned another year, and depending on who he finishes out this recruiting class with, the Gophers good have a good season next year. If he fails, then they can fire him after next season.

Coaches don't get fired when they make the NCAAs tournament much less the second round. That ship sailed the minute we beat Penn State. I didn't say it was a good day. It's just not unexpected or worth getting upset about.

And no teams don't usually fire football coaches after 9-4 seasons but I'm not interested in re-litigating that.

Like who? There are no great candidates out there that are guaranteed to be better than Pitino, even when Musselman and Hoiberg were available.

Pitino earned another year, and depending on who he finishes out this recruiting class with, the Gophers good have a good season next year. If he fails, then they can fire him after next season.

Hoiberg and Musselman are both better options than Richard. .....the B1G will be much better next year and we reward mediocrity. I cannot understand why most here have such low expectations for the Only D1 basketball school in the state. Would you honestly rather have Pitino or Hoiberg?

Hoiberg would have been hands down a better choice than Pitino. Say what you want about his recruiting, he can still build relevant teams via transfers.

I would take Musselman, Oates and even Hoiberg over Pitino. The fact that they all took equal/lesser jobs this year is going to sting if we go 4-14 next year. If Coffey leaves that is a real possibility.

Hoiberg and Musselman are both better options than Richard. .....the B1G will be much better next year and we reward mediocrity. I cannot understand why most here have such low expectations for the Only D1 basketball school in the state. Would you honestly rather have Pitino or Hoiberg?

I would definitely rather have Pitino than Musselman. Hoiberg is a tougher choice, but I prefer the way Pitino runs his program than how Hoiberg has done it historically, so I would probably still rather have Pitino.

Hoiberg and Musselman are overrated, imo. Nate Oats and Earl Grant were always better options than both. But that’s just one opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musselman and Hoiberg are overrated IMO. Hoiberg's recruiting style would never work here.

Musselman underachieved with a team that is nearly all Seniors this season. He hasn't recruited well there either, and that roster will be a mess next season.

I'd definitely take the upside of Pitino over either. And I was ready to fire him two months ago. It's not rewarding mediocrity when the Gophers could still be a good team next season that finishes in the top half of the B1G. This program has to start somewhere. There are a bunch of good coaches who had teams miss the NCAA tournament this year.

This extension has been on the table for days. Coyle never put in motion any efforts to replace him.

I'm upset that we wasted valuable days of exposure to the program during the final four. Look at what Fleck is doing. That's what Pitino should be doing too but he's been too focused on flirting with Arkansas (which he never would have taken) to be on press row.
This extension was not on the table a 1 year extension was. Pitino played it smart and Coyle came back with the 2 year extension offer.

I'd rather have Pitino than Hoiberg or Musselman. I'd probably take a guy like Craig Smith over Hoiberg and Musselman too. I think Hoiberg will be gone if he gets any chance to get to the NBA again and know he absolutely hates recruiting. Musselman I'm just not sold on. His Nevada team this year vastly underachieved and his roster had 10/13 scholarship players as transfers this year.

Top Bottom