KFAN Korzo says Coffee will NEVER return to Minnesota

Do you mean Michael Hurt?
Yes, I was calculating 6 classes at an average of 3 credits per class. 18 credits in a semester is tough for anyone. Get 6 credits this summer and you still have 12 to go. No way you finish up until December at the earliest.
It just doesn't make any sense to leave at this point just to watch little brother from the bench. If the Hurt brother's want to play one last year together, then Matthew needs to come to UMN.

I've heard that Michael is very bright. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he could graduate early. Despite all that has been said about Matthew Hurt on this board, I have a lot of respect for the kid. He could have easily left JM after his sophomore season when Dodoch Chan and much of the rest of his supporting cast graduated. He didn't and stuck it out. I've also heard he is really a good kid.

Do you mean Michael Hurt?
Yes, I was calculating 6 classes at an average of 3 credits per class. 18 credits in a semester is tough for anyone. Get 6 credits this summer and you still have 12 to go. No way you finish up until December at the earliest.
It just doesn't make any sense to leave at this point just to watch little brother from the bench. If the Hurt brother's want to play one last year together, then Matthew needs to come to UMN.

No, I'm talking about Amir. I don't know what Hurt needs to do to graduate.

I've heard that Michael is very bright. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he could graduate early. Despite all that has been said about Matthew Hurt on this board, I have a lot of respect for the kid. He could have easily left JM after his sophomore season when Dodoch Chan and much of the rest of his supporting cast graduated. He didn't and stuck it out. I've also heard he is really a good kid.

18 credits is not that many. most kids average 14-16 a semester, every student I know took at least 17 in one semester.

Nice to see troll ID's pop back up after being away forever.

So, tell us, why is he staying in classes this semester if he has no intention of returning?

I thought this poster was banned?

The only way Coffee makes the NBA is if he stays another year. His handle is subpar even by college standards, and he is out of control at times. He has the intangibles-length, athleticism, and shot.

As far as Hurt, you have to be delusional if you think Pitino didn't do everything he could to get him. He probably got the vibe that Hurt was stringing him along and he refused to play. And good for him.

18 credits is not that many. most kids average 14-16 a semester, every student I know took at least 17 in one semester.
Were they full-ride D1 athletes? I doubt most athletes go above 14 in a given semester. But if you have data you can impress me.

Confused?

Why are so we obsessed with a one year Minnesota kid? This is never going to be a one and done destination. It just won't no matter how hard we try to convince ourselves otherwise. By the way, none of the four schools that played last night are one and done destinations either.
Why does everyone keep saying Matthew hurt is a one and done? He’s not Zion. He’s not even true jones. He’s a really good high school shooter, not Larry bird. That said, love to have him for a few years at the U.

Wager Matthew plays at least 2, probably 3 years of college hoops.

Were they full-ride D1 athletes? I doubt most athletes go above 14 in a given semester. But if you have data you can impress me.

All I'm saying is 18 credits is doable. I believe Stull took 18 plus last summer to enter the graduate level at the U.

Why does everyone keep saying Matthew hurt is a one and done? He’s not Zion. He’s not even true jones. He’s a really good high school shooter, not Larry bird. That said, love to have him for a few years at the U.

Because it's his stated goal. If he intends to stay for just one season that's what he'll do. From a December Strib article:

Calipari’s pitch is that Kentucky is the No. 1 program to help Hurt achieve his goal of being drafted into the NBA after his freshman year in college. While Hurt doesn’t have a favorite school right now, he says the Wildcats being a one-and-done factory is a big plus.

“They’re a great one-and-done school,” he said.

http://www.startribune.com/matthew-hurt-talks-nba-goals-and-watching-his-brother-at-the-u/467018843/

Dont know how many credits per term, but Hudson Fasching and Nick Bjugstad both took sufficient credits to graduate in three years.

Because it's his stated goal. If he intends to stay for just one season that's what he'll do. From a December Strib article:

Calipari’s pitch is that Kentucky is the No. 1 program to help Hurt achieve his goal of being drafted into the NBA after his freshman year in college. While Hurt doesn’t have a favorite school right now, he says the Wildcats being a one-and-done factory is a big plus.

http://www.startribune.com/matthew-hurt-talks-nba-goals-and-watching-his-brother-at-the-u/467018843/
And this is exactly why I am not bent out of shape over Hurts apparent dumping of the U. Not a fan of the one and done so if that's what Hurt is looking for, then best of luck to him - happy to look for other players

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Eh nvm. Don’t want to be/sound petty.

Last edited:

There was another report that Amir called his dad this summer to express that he loved playing point guard some in practice. Is there any other major college team that would have him as the primary ball handler to the extent that he did this season? Now he hates the style of play? Korzo has stuck his neck out there with this prediction, going to lose whatever credibility he had if such a bold prediction doesnt occur.

What a pre madona, if you don't want to play here fine. Shut up and go away, you don't need to try and tear everyone down on the way out because your brother doesn't play enough

See responses below. I think his intention has always been to be a one and done. Highly unlikely he is a three year college player at Duke/Kentucky/Kansas.

With all due respect, I'm seeing a lot of "blame the messenger" on this board when it comes to Gopher sports.

Anyone who says or reports anything that's perceived as negative is called a troll, or has an agenda.

Look, I have no inside info. Korzo could be wrong - but he could be right.

Taking a broader approach - let's say Korzo is right, and Coffey has a bad relationship with his coach. What does that say about the program? this is - or at least could be - bigger than one player. Ignoring problems does not make them go away.

bottom line - the Matthew Hurt comments, and now the Coffey story are concerning, to say the least.

Suggesting that all is not right with the program does not make you a troll or a hater. It does not mean you want the coach or the program to fail. It may mean you want the program to succeed, and you're questioning whether the program is on the right path to success.

There is a crew on here that goes ballistic with childish indignation when they hear things they don't like.

Cool it’s his goal, but from what I’ve seen not particularly realistic.

If the issues regarding the Hurts and Coffeys are this extreme, it stands to reason that the incompetence extends to other recruits and other areas of coaching. Yet is Pitino's boss, who quickly fired Claeys, so out of touch that he doesnt see it? Or perhaps Coyle is similarly incompetent? Doesnt add up to me.

Pitino cannot comment on the Hurt situation, it would violate ncaa rules. I think it’s awful that they made comments like that knowing the coach can’t rebut any of this. I’m sure Pitino has kept Coyle in the loop on the Hurt situation and he probably knew a long time ago that he wasn’t coming. My sources say Pitino is very well liked in the department and he and Coyle have a good relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amir: Just being from Minnesota and having it across your chest winning tourn game
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/boards/showpost.php?p=1718401&share_type=t

Clearly he hates it here.

I have no idea how Amir feels about Pitino. Not going to speculate. He is a normal athlete that just wants to win and to get to the NBA. Like anyone else he encounters frustration. Not going to put things on Pitino that we know nothing about. I measure a coach against the kinds of people they bring in and do they win a lot.

Pitino cannot comment on the Hurt situation, it would violate ncaa rules. I think it’s awful that they made comments like that knowing the coach can’t rebut any of this. I’m sure Pitino has kept Coyle in the loop on the Hurt situation and he probably knew a long time ago that he wasn’t coming. My sources say Pitino is very well liked in the department and he and Coyle have a good relationship.

It is a pretty low blow to go after the coach when you know they can't respond. And to what end really, Hurt was never coming here, so why be petty and take shots at the local school when you were just going to cash in on the biggest offer anyway from one of the blue bloods with all the under the table money.

How does someone who’s day job is as an attorney (I’m assuming he does alright) get a side gig on a sports radio show? Kfan and Kstp both could benefit from hiring some former athletes to host their shows instead of the same old. Sorry just a thing I’ve noticed over the years.

If I'm Coffey I go pro now and get the $$ while my interest is the highest it might be. He has a history of injuries and it might be best personally for him to make hay now. We'll see what happens. The feeling I get is that he is leaning toward not coming back. I don't think it's because of the relationship with the coach.

I actually feel sorry for the Matthew Hurt level recruits to some degree. He is a high school kid, nothing more at this point. He isn't going to necessarily say the right thing every time a microphone gets put in his face. But yet we blast away when the answer doesn't suit the best interest of our team. The reality is the vast majority of Gopher basketball fans (and media members too) couldn't name the targets the Gophers are pursuing right now -- the Grant Sherfield/Austin Crowley types. Many can only name the two or three elite recruits the State of Minnesota has produced. Then when Tre Jones/Matthew Hurt/Jalen Suggs decide to pursue other opportunities it is perceived as a fundamental flaw in the coaching regime or some sort of disloyalty to the state by the recruit. This is just not based in the reality of the college basketball landscape today. It would be a major coup to land one of these guys, not the other way around. Who among us would tell our kids to close the door when Duke or Stanford calls and a free college experience awaits. It's crazy.

The fact that that this bombshell revelation of the Coffey/Pitino relationship has been out there since this morning without a denial by Coffey seems telling don't you think?

If Nadine Babu gave us this information and it wasn't refuted, I would be concerned. Korzo? Is radio clickbait until he establishes he isn't and you don't have to refute all the clickbait that is out there. Radio is entertainment, you don't have to even believe what your saying to make for good talk radio, just have to get people talking.

How does someone who’s day job is as an attorney (I’m assuming he does alright) get a side gig on a sports radio show? Kfan and Kstp both could benefit from hiring some former athletes to host their shows instead of the same old. Sorry just a thing I’ve noticed over the years.

Korzo is a former sports writer and a huge Gopher basketball fan and talks pretty objectively about the team but from a fan's perspective. I think most people on this board would really enjoy listening to him talk about the Gophers during the season, even if they don't always agree with him.

The original post really did him a disservice in this thread. He was not making any bones about trying to break news. He was only saying what he heard, then commented on it. He was talking mostly about Hurt, quoting the Pioneer Press article, and added about two sentences about Coffey. Here's the direct quotes about his "source":

"By the way, I’ve heard some people that are around the program, they said the chances of Amir Coffey coming back are close to zero, because he hates Richard Pitino. That’s what I’ve heard; don’t know if it’s true."

Last edited:

On Korzo’s program this morning he said reliable sources say Amir Coffee will NEVER return to the Gophers because he hates Pitino. hates his coaching and style of play and will never return. I asssume if he does not get drafted he can play in Europe or get a sniff in the D league. Korzo was also critical of Pitino’s handling of the Hurt recruiting. The Hurt familiy was critical of the University in that they quit recruiting him. When a Top recruit publicly criticize’s the home town university, it is a very poor relfection on the program as a whole.

Mediocrity and low expectations continue to reign at the U of M.

7 years combined so far for Richard and Amir as Gophers, it would be great to spell their. name correctly in the title of the thread. Maybe that's why Amir wants to leave, lack of respect.

On a serious side, often seniors who had aspirations of leaving early (regardless if it's 1, 2 or 3 years) who are then "forced" to come back, have underwhelming final years. Senioritis so to speak.

Korzo is a former sports writer and a huge Gopher basketball fan and talks pretty objectively about the team but from a fan's perspective. I think most people on this board would really enjoy listening to him talk about the Gophers during the season, even if they don't always agree with him.

The original post really did him a disservice in this thread. He was not making any bones about trying to break news. He was only saying what he heard, then commented on it. He was talking mostly about Hurt, quoting the Pioneer Press article, and added about two sentences about Coffee. Here's the direct quotes about his "source":

"By the way, I’ve heard some people that are around the program, they said the chances of Amir Coffee coming back are close to zero, because he hates Richard Pitino. That’s what I’ve heard; don’t know if it’s true."
Are you Korzo or his/her assistant? This person keeps being talked about as though s/he is worth listening to, but I have never heard of the person let alone listened to him/her.

Top Bottom