KFAN Korzo says Coffee will NEVER return to Minnesota

Most people who follow basketball and live in the Twin Cities have....living in Maryland, I wouldn't expect that you would have heard of him. I find it interesting that some posters on here get defensive when people who most likely have some inside information say something negative about Pitino.

Doogie has more reiliable scoops than Korzo. That's saying something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he's not drafted and opt's to not return it would indicate there's something he doesn't like about the U, until then unless you are close to him it is pure speculation.

Pitino’s half court offense is terrible, high screen dribble drive, lots of standing around, he does not recruit depth or a point guard or 3 point shooters.....other than that it’s perfect!

He has recruited point guards, and highly rated point guards, they didn't all work out for various reasons. Nate Mason, Kevin Dorsey, Jarvis Johnson, IW, Marcus Carr and Willis (combo).

If he's not drafted and opt's to not return it would indicate there's something he doesn't like about the U, until then unless you are close to him it is pure speculation.
Or, he simply wants to get paid.

Is he close to graduating? A grad transfer would be another possible way out. Maybe that's why he's supposedly still taking classes.

Where are people getting this "he wants the ball more" argument?

In the OP he specifically stated that Coffee, allegedly, doesn't like Pitino and the style of play

Our style of offense this year (which morphed into a reasonably effective high low) seemed to be dictated by our lack of an effective point guard.

The irony is that a few years ago Richard Coffey used the local media to make it clear that Amir should be recruited as a point guard and would be selecting his college based off of the opportunity to become a point guard en route to the nba.

So when we read that Amir hates the style of play, it’s very reasonable some of us would become cynical.

What style of play did he think he was signing up for?

Coffey doesn't strike me as the type to care as long as he's getting his shots which he certainly did.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

What could he not like about the style of play? The pace is reasonably fast and he gets the ball a lot and runs the offense through him. I guess he could want to play off the ball? Shoot it less? That's not common, but who knows?

These questions are irrelevant since the rumor was that Coffey doesn't like the style. It doesn't matter what he thought when he committed here. I have no idea what type of system he wants to be in but it, allegedly, isn't what Pitino is doing.

Our style of offense this year (which morphed into a reasonably effective high low) seemed to be dictated by our lack of an effective point guard.

The irony is that a few years ago Richard Coffey used the local media to make it clear that Amir should be recruited as a point guard and would be selecting his college based off of the opportunity to become a point guard en route to the nba.

So when we read that Amir hates the style of play, it’s very reasonable some of us would become cynical.

What does a few years ago have to do with today?

And you guys seem to think that I 100% believe this. I don't. But when you twist the OP's word about why Coffey might want out I find it important to point out what exactly the rumor actually was.

Is he close to graduating? A grad transfer would be another possible way out. Maybe that's why he's supposedly still taking classes.

No, he said on his interview with Nadine that he has like 6 classes left. Not something he can cover in a summer session.

What could he not like about the style of play? The pace is reasonably fast and he gets the ball a lot and runs the offense through him. I guess he could want to play off the ball? Shoot it less? That's not common, but who knows?

The pace of play issue is so not true. In a more in depth analysis , i was talking with a top 75 recruit yesterday at the final 4. I walked them through the UVA pace of 351. Showed him that with 2 less dribbles on a walk up to half court it moves them from 351 to 278. Then i tell them that UVA should just quickly and carelessly turn it over halfway through the clock 5 times and now you move from 278 to 198. Here is the killer, make sure you do not guard the whole possession 25% of the time and now you move from 198 to 72. They got it completely as they understand efficiency . They were reaching out to get info on college teams and coaches. Lastly, tons of coaches have a no parent policy. This means no parent will discuss basketball with the staff at anytime. That includes position and playing time. Weed out all that crap during recruiting.

No, he said on his interview with Nadine that he has like 6 classes left. Not something he can cover in a summer session.

He said he would have 6-7 classes left and it sounded like that would still be after he finishes this semester.

Apparently the rumor of him not liking Pitino revolves around how his injury was handled last year. He felt he should sit out but Pitino wanted him to play and he injured himself because of it. Thats just what I've heard at least.

Anyways, I think if Amir stays, this extension will look like a really smart move, if Amir is gone then the extension will look like a bad move.

Assuming each class is worth 3 credits, he has at least summer school and a semester to go.

Anyways, I think if Amir stays, this extension will look like a really smart move, if Amir is gone then the extension will look like a bad move.
Why would it look like a bad move? Pitino's stock is not tied to Amir Coffey's decisions.

Assuming each class is worth 3 credits, he has at least summer school and a semester to go.

In the interview, Amir made it sound like the 6-7 classes he would need are in addition to the classes he is currently taking this semester. That would be too much for just the summer.

I could be wrong though.

Why would it look like a bad move? Pitino's stock is not tied to Amir Coffey's decisions.

I think it absolutely is.

If Amir is gone then we likely don't make the tourney next year and will not be very good. Then Coyle would either fire Pitino or if he keeps him then it would be awfully hard to recruit players after coming off that season and missing the tourney 5 out of 7 years. If Coyle is going to replace Pitino, he should do so now to get a head start on rebuilding.

If Amir comes back, I think we make the tourney and could maybe even make a nice run if we get a decent grad transfer. Then Pitino would have made the tourney 3 out of 4 years with possibly multiple tourney wins. I think Pitino would have a lot to sell to recruits if that happens.

If Amir is gone then we likely don't make the tourney next year and will not be very good. Then Coyle would either fire Pitino or if he keeps him then it would be awfully hard to recruit players after coming off that season and missing the tourney 5 out of 7 years. If Coyle is going to replace Pitino, he should do so now to get a head start on rebuilding.

If Amir comes back, I think we make the tourney and could maybe even make a nice run if we get a decent grad transfer. Then Pitino would have made the tourney 3 out of 4 years with possibly multiple tourney wins. I think Pitino would have a lot to sell to recruits if that happens.

Number one, I'd like Amir to return.
Number two, I think the chances we'll be excellent are greater if he does, but Coffey is highly inconsistent. There are no guarantees because he returns we are all set.

The most important part whether Coffey returns or leaves is who we recruit. If he leaves and we get a grad transfer like Mooney...we are probably better.
No matter what, we need an additional 3 plus eligible guys added to the roster we already have who can be productive contributors. We can't add multiple transfers this spring who sit.

With the Hurt noise it certainly would seem plausible he'd follow his brother. Coffey is likely hard to coach and play with. He's moody and seemingly quiet. "Which Coffey is going to show up?" is a common refrain. If we could fill those two scholarships with equal or better performers, that are more consistent, we'd have an excellent chance to be better.

It totally depends who we recruit as to how good we are. Not on Coffey alone.

Number two, I think the chances we'll be excellent are greater if he does, but Coffey is highly inconsistent. There are no guarantees because he returns we are all set.

The most important part whether Coffey returns or leaves is who we recruit. If he leaves and we get a grad transfer like Mooney...we are probably better.
No matter what, we need an additional 3 plus eligible guys added to the roster we already have who can be productive contributors. We can't add multiple transfers this spring who sit.

With the Hurt noise it certainly would seem plausible he'd follow his brother. Coffey is likely hard to coach and play with. He's moody and seemingly quiet. "Which Coffey is going to show up?" is a common refrain. If we could fill those two scholarships with equal or better performers, that are more consistent, we'd have an excellent chance to be better.

You do understand the competition for a Mooney will be crazy. They are super hard to find and now the super programs are all in.

You do understand the competition for a Mooney will be crazy. They are super hard to find and now the super programs are all in.

I do. But, I'm also in the camp that sees Coffey not listed on most all top 100 prospects. Mooney was handy...how about a Springs like guy with his after Christmas performances? That's not easy either but it is possible to catch lightning in bottle....some guys perform over their head for a season. Deandre Mathieu in season one was pretty effective. It's not impossible. I just don't think we are doomed if Coffey leaves.

I do think we need reinforcements in quantity and some level of respectability.

Nobody we have a realistic chance at getting is going to be remotely close as good as Amir would be next season.

1. Amir will be a projected first team all big ten player if he comes back. If there is a transfer out there who would be a projected first team all big ten player then Kentucky or Kansas would gobble them up.

2. If Amir comes back and plays as good as he did the last 6 games of the year then I don't think even the best transfers would be as good as Amir. Nate Sestina ended up at Kentucky and I'd take Amir over him. I'd take Amir over the Jenkins guy from South Dakota State too.

Last edited:

Actually, I think we can add a sit out transfer or two and I expect that Pitino will do that. We have three openings now. If Coffey and Hurt leave, there are two more. I agree that he should try to get at least two, maybe three, additional guys who can play right away (from a combination of freshmen, JUCOS, or grad transfers). I think more immediately eligible players would result in recruiting lower quality than we could get from going the traditional transfer route.

Even if Hurt and Coffey leave, the roster currently has 8 guys for next year. Adding two or three more would be enough depth. I'd rather see two quality sit out transfers (easier to get than quality grad transfers) and maybe a banked scholarship than recruiting another 2 or 3 players of lower quality who may be immediately eligible.

With all due respect, I'm seeing a lot of "blame the messenger" on this board when it comes to Gopher sports.

Anyone who says or reports anything that's perceived as negative is called a troll, or has an agenda.

Look, I have no inside info. Korzo could be wrong - but he could be right.

Taking a broader approach - let's say Korzo is right, and Coffey has a bad relationship with his coach. What does that say about the program? this is - or at least could be - bigger than one player. Ignoring problems does not make them go away.

bottom line - the Matthew Hurt comments, and now the Coffey story are concerning, to say the least.

Suggesting that all is not right with the program does not make you a troll or a hater. It does not mean you want the coach or the program to fail. It may mean you want the program to succeed, and you're questioning whether the program is on the right path to success.
the guy plagiarized a gopher hole thread. he doesn't have sources. he read a troll's post on gopher hole

Actually, I think we can add a sit out transfer or two and I expect that Pitino will do that. We have three openings now. If Coffey and Hurt leave, there are two more. I agree that he should try to get at least two, maybe three, additional guys who can play right away (from a combination of freshmen, JUCOS, or grad transfers). I think more immediately eligible players would result in recruiting lower quality than we could get from going the traditional transfer route.

Even if Hurt and Coffey leave, the roster currently has 8 guys for next year. Adding two or three more would be enough depth. I'd rather see two quality sit out transfers (easier to get than quality grad transfers) and maybe a banked scholarship than recruiting another 2 or 3 players of lower quality who may be immediately eligible.

I pretty much agree (but lol) the three we add gotta be able to play...that is at a higher than say Michael Hurt. And to be a better team if Coffey leaves then Carr needs to provide Coffey like production or better and the other 3 new guys gotta be better than Matz, Hurt and Dupree...if there is no incoming double figure scorer. I'm hoping we can replace Murphy by committee...Omersa improves, Freeman rebounds, Curry gets healthy, Oturu elevates beyond what we saw and we add a big better than Matz, who I liked as a bench big.
The world is not ending IF we just add some quality pieces....guys we can argue about who is better....6 to 12 point guys. One big time guy and we'd be good with new parts. Maybe the Germany guy comes and makes 150 3's...somebody we get lucky on.
(I have no interest in adding lower quality guys just because they are eligible...certainly agree with that)

Last edited:

In the interview, Amir made it sound like the 6-7 classes he would need are in addition to the classes he is currently taking this semester. That would be too much for just the summer.

I could be wrong though.
Do you mean Michael Hurt?
Yes, I was calculating 6 classes at an average of 3 credits per class. 18 credits in a semester is tough for anyone. Get 6 credits this summer and you still have 12 to go. No way you finish up until December at the earliest.
It just doesn't make any sense to leave at this point just to watch little brother from the bench. If the Hurt brother's want to play one last year together, then Matthew needs to come to UMN.

You are under estimating the rest of the talent we have and the new kids coming in.
Amir will definitely help, but the other kids aren't scrubs.

The fact that that this bombshell revelation of the Coffey/Pitino relationship has been out there since this morning without a denial by Coffey seems telling don't you think?

After seeing the details of the contract, I think it is. If we miss the tournament next year, I think Pitino is gone unless he has a strong 2020 class already locked in. And without Amir I think we're a 5-7 win team in the B1G.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom