Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 316
  1. #271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    It wasn't 50/50 from the outside. That's like saying there is a 50/50 chance it's going to rain in Phoenix any giving day because either it will or it won't.

    For whatever it's worth, it's not just Korzo. The rumblings were that Amir was not coming back next year. They started during the regular season. I had a posted where I hinted at it during the last couple weeks of the regular season (it was in response to the total number of available scholarships this year or something).
    The idea that Amir was probably not coming back had more to do with the fact that he is old for his grade. His dad is smart enough and helicopter enough to know that you typically only have a certain number of years to play pro basketball and make money. Since Amir is a year older and has some injury history that played into it way more than anything about how he was being used in the program. Richard is not the first or last dad to think his son is not being used correctly. It also doesn't mean that kids leave because of it. NBA scouts get paid to find and evaluate players. They don't rely solely on how they were used in college. Truthfully under this logic, then Richard would've been happier this year because he's always wanted Amir to run the point.


  2. #272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    He wouldn't have dragged his feet unless he got some strong advice that he'd get at least a 2 way contract.
    So, if Coffey doesn't get a two-way contract, will you admit that your claim has no basis and you really have no idea what you are talking about?

  3. #273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjbfbp View Post
    So, if Coffey doesn't get a two-way contract, will you admit that your claim has no basis and you really have no idea what you are talking about?
    Or maybe he was told that he was going to get one and then a guy a team thought would get drafted didn't and then that guy took Amir's spot? It's not black and white like that. His agent obviously had enough interest in one. I have basis off of what his dad and other media people (even Doogie had this "scoop") have been saying. It's not black and white, but it's also not complicated either. However since you seem nice if you'd like to pull this out after the draft and if Amir doesn't get a 2 way contract, you certainly can and I'll gladly agree to your terms if it'll make you feel better.

  4. #274
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Willmar, MN
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    Congrats Korzo. You are now on the same level as Doogie.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #275

    Default

    Good for him if he wants to start playing professionally but I don't see him as an NBA player at all.

  6. #276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    The idea that Amir was probably not coming back had more to do with the fact that he is old for his grade. His dad is smart enough and helicopter enough to know that you typically only have a certain number of years to play pro basketball and make money. Since Amir is a year older and has some injury history that played into it way more than anything about how he was being used in the program. Richard is not the first or last dad to think his son is not being used correctly. It also doesn't mean that kids leave because of it. NBA scouts get paid to find and evaluate players. They don't rely solely on how they were used in college. Truthfully under this logic, then Richard would've been happier this year because he's always wanted Amir to run the point.
    I don't disagree with anything you said. I had heard rumblings that Amir was not coming back to the U (I had heard grad transfer (that turned out to be impossible)) or going professional. I hadn't heard the Pitino thing, but I don't think playing him out of position all year helped Coffey's stock at all. But I had never heard any of the stuff that Korzo said about him not returning because of disliking Pitino.

    But you're 100% correct about age. Amir had a lot to lose by coming back. He had a lot to gain too, but it wasn't a question of "do I have a better chance of being drafted this year or next year?"

  7. #277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CentralGopher View Post
    Congrats Korzo. You are now on the same level as Doogie.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He got one right though.

    Doogie is that clock that got broken at 2:63.

  8. #278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    Coffey isn't stupid and he has smart people in his ear. He's also not poor so aren't any hanger oners in his circle. His dad spent most of his career in the CBA and he got a cup of tea on a ****ty Wolves team. They would not make this move if they didn't think he could get drafted or get a two way deal
    I don't know Coffey and don't know whether or not he is stupid. Regardless, this was a very, very stupid decision. As I said before, the decision was made out of emotion and not logic or reason. What those emotions were could be any or all of a combination of several things - hate for Pitino, feeling that he's being shortchanged by all the scouts (he isn't), entitlement that he deserves to be drafted (he doesn't), and so forth.

  9. #279
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,422
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    I don't know Coffey and don't know whether or not he is stupid. Regardless, this was a very, very stupid decision. As I said before, the decision was made out of emotion and not logic or reason. What those emotions were could be any or all of a combination of several things - hate for Pitino, feeling that he's being shortchanged by all the scouts (he isn't), entitlement that he deserves to be drafted (he doesn't), and so forth.
    Is it stupid? He will make 150-200K next year in Europe as a minimum. How is that worse than playing for the Gophers?

  10. #280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipegopher View Post
    Is it stupid? He will make 150-200K next year in Europe as a minimum. How is that worse than playing for the Gophers?
    Is it his dream to play in Europe? Then it's a great decision. Something tells me that's not the case. He has zero shot to play in the NBA following this season. His chances of playing in the NBA after a monster season next year would either be the same (zero) or possibly better - they couldn't be worse. Additionally, it's a year of college ball that he can never get back.

    If it's his dream to play in Europe, he could've done that out of high school and not lowered himself to play for the U for 3 years.

  11. #281
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    6,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    I don't know Coffey and don't know whether or not he is stupid. Regardless, this was a very, very stupid decision. As I said before, the decision was made out of emotion and not logic or reason. What those emotions were could be any or all of a combination of several things - hate for Pitino, feeling that he's being shortchanged by all the scouts (he isn't), entitlement that he deserves to be drafted (he doesn't), and so forth.
    This decision was made after over a dozen workouts with teams, and on the last day possible. Doesn't seem irrational, if it was an emotional one he would've declared and not left the door open to return right away. Seems to me he took his time and weighed his options like a logical person would do and made the decision that he concluded was best

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  12. #282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Is it his dream to play in Europe? Then it's a great decision. Something tells me that's not the case. He has zero shot to play in the NBA following this season. His chances of playing in the NBA after a monster season next year would either be the same (zero) or possibly better - they couldn't be worse. Additionally, it's a year of college ball that he can never get back.

    If it's his dream to play in Europe, he could've done that out of high school and not lowered himself to play for the U for 3 years.
    I think it's his dream to play in the NBA and if not play professionally.

    He could absolutely hurt his stock next season. I think there is a really good chance he signs a two-way G League deal (at a minimum) next season. Production is absolutely weighted against age and he has also had relatively serious injuries in 2 of the last 4 seasons. He absolutely could hurt his stock.

    Your weighing chance of playing in the NBA this year vs. chance of playing in the NBA after next year.

    Now, let's say he is playing in the NBA by 2021 (either spends a year in the G-League and then comes up, or gets drafted/signed after next year), to him, that would likely mean that he made the right choice. He is making money at a younger age.

    My guess is that it was a weighted decision, it wasn't simply a % chance of getting drafted this season vs. % chance of getting drafted next year (if everything goes perfectly).

    I actually think it was a good decision for him. It stinks for us.

  13. #283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    I think it's his dream to play in the NBA and if not play professionally.

    He could absolutely hurt his stock next season. I think there is a really good chance he signs a two-way G League deal (at a minimum) next season. Production is absolutely weighted against age and he has also had relatively serious injuries in 2 of the last 4 seasons. He absolutely could hurt his stock.

    Your weighing chance of playing in the NBA this year vs. chance of playing in the NBA after next year.

    Now, let's say he is playing in the NBA by 2021 (either spends a year in the G-League and then comes up, or gets drafted/signed after next year), to him, that would likely mean that he made the right choice. He is making money at a younger age.

    My guess is that it was a weighted decision, it wasn't simply a % chance of getting drafted this season vs. % chance of getting drafted next year (if everything goes perfectly).

    I actually think it was a good decision for him. It stinks for us.
    Since we are talking in the context of his dream of playing in the NBA, I will take your usage of "stock" to mean "NBA stock". And, again, it would be impossible for him to hurt his NBA stock by next year, because it's impossible to have a percentage lower than zero. At this point in time, he has as much chance of getting drafted into the NBA as you or me.

    I really don't think the money has anything to do with it. It's not like he came from poverty and has to be a breadwinner for his family. He's letting his pride and hubris get in the way of rational decision-making. He thinks he's too good for the U (he's not) and that he deserves to be an NBA player (he doesn't).

    And, as I stated earlier - if the goal was to go play in Europe, why didn't he do that out of high school? He's already foregone three years of earning potential - "earning potential" being the (poor) argument many are using in an attempt to rationalize this poor decision. This construct falls apart very quickly when you put it in the context of the decisions he's made up to this point.

    I would be incredibly shocked if he ever plays a minute in a regular season or playoff NBA game. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm quite confident that he won't.
    Last edited by dpodoll68; 05-31-2019 at 04:32 AM.

  14. #284
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bracketville, MN
    Posts
    21,505
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    DP, in one breath you say you don’t know Coffey personally, then in the next breath you say he thinks he’s too good for the U. If you don’t know him, how do you know the latter is true?

    Good luck to Amir. I hope he reaches his dream (NBA). Personally, I would not rule it out.

  15. #285

    Default

    This is probably a good move for Amir if his focus is on playing professionally to earn some money. He was one injury away from being forced to finish his degree and find a job and now he is off on a pretty cool adventure no matter where he ends up (nba or overseas). Of course, he could have come back and had a monster year and been a 1st round pick with a life changing contract but that seems like a long shot - perhaps he and his advisers came to the same conclusion. He can always come back to finish his degree.

    Thanks Amir and family! Amir, I appreciate you coming to the U and wish you well in your next phase of life. Represent the Gophers well in your travels!

    (Don't listen to anyone here or anywhere else that is down on your skills for the NBA - they forget that hard work can overcome a lot of obstacles - go out and take it)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •