KFAN Korzo says Coffee will NEVER return to Minnesota

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
On Korzo’s program this morning he said reliable sources say Amir Coffee will NEVER return to the Gophers because he hates Pitino. hates his coaching and style of play and will never return. I asssume if he does not get drafted he can play in Europe or get a sniff in the D league. Korzo was also critical of Pitino’s handling of the Hurt recruiting. The Hurt familiy was critical of the University in that they quit recruiting him. When a Top recruit publicly criticize’s the home town university, it is a very poor relfection on the program as a whole.

Mediocrity and low expectations continue to reign at the U of M.

We stopped recruiting Hurt because he removed us from contention. This is well known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Korzo’s program this morning he said reliable sources say Amir Coffee will NEVER return to the Gophers because he hates Pitino. hates his coaching and style of play and will never return. I asssume if he does not get drafted he can play in Europe or get a sniff in the D league. Korzo was also critical of Pitino’s handling of the Hurt recruiting. The Hurt familiy was critical of the University in that they quit recruiting him. When a Top recruit publicly criticize’s the home town university, it is a very poor relfection on the program as a whole.

Nice to see troll ID's pop back up after being away forever.

So, tell us, why is he staying in classes this semester if he has no intention of returning?

If Hurt did not tell Pitino the Gophs were out then Pitino should be canned for quitting on a MN. prospect. If you miss you miss but giving up on Hurt is really poor judgement . If the Hurts told Pitino he was out...and are now backstabbing them than they are really PATHETIC

What does this have to do with the post? It's mediocre that Coffey allegedly hates Pitino? Or it's mediocre that Pitino allegedly stopped recruiting a guy that clearly is going elsewhere?

Who is Korzo?

So, tell us, why is he staying in classes this semester if he has no intention of returning?

Perhaps to get a degree?? I love how you call folks Trolls who disagree with your positive and uplifting view of Gophers athletics. You ever read the child’s story called the Emperors new cloths? might be a good read as you are clearly drinking the Gopher cool aid. This program has reached it peak under Pitino.

If Hurt did not tell Pitino the Gophs were out then Pitino should be canned for quitting on a MN. prospect. If you miss you miss but giving up on Hurt is really poor judgement . If the Hurts told Pitino he was out...and are now backstabbing them than they are really PATHETIC

I just can't fathom any scenario where you stop recruiting a local 5 star recruit if you think there is even a small chance that he might come to your school. It just wouldn't make sense. Don't know the family at all but there are multiple reports of the Dad being really difficult.

The Coffey stuff is a bit more troubling. I can totally understand him testing the NBA waters but multiple people have made the claim he won't be back no matter what due in large part to his relationship with Pitino. Would be really disappointing to lose him to anything other than the NBA and will also hurt the team big time heading into next season if he is gone.

Why are so we obsessed with a one year Minnesota kid? This is never going to be a one and done destination. It just won't no matter how hard we try to convince ourselves otherwise. By the way, none of the four schools that played last night are one and done destinations either.

Mediocre programs quit, mediocre programs create excuses for losses, mediocre programs get criticized by local high profile recruits, mediocre programs finish under 500 in B1G..

Its funny that this radio host with "sources" all of the sudden has two takes that have both been posted on the Gopher Hole in the last two days and have clearly been highly controversial and polarizing. Coincidence?

What does it say about the player and the people in his ear if he quits the team because he “hates” the coach? The word hate, IMO, is immature and full of emotion. If he goes undrafted but doesn’t return, he should be making the decision based on how to maximize career earning potential, not based pride, emotion, or relationships.

Richard and Amir got what they wanted out of Pitino, a role at point guard. Ncaa Tournament in 2/3 years, 3/4 very possible if he returns. One year showcasing average Big Ten ball handling skills and court vision (as a point guard, not as a 6-8 wing), and now they “hate” the way he coaches? Give me a break.

Maybe it’s indictment on Pitino’s inability to command the program, but every successful local kid seems to have a huge ego when it comes to what the U provides them and when. The media feeds into it and prints rumors or complaints out of the family while coach cannot comment on recruits. Funny how you don’t hear the parents ofJordan Murphy or the other out of state players leveraging the sports media.

Pitino owes these kids and their parents exactly jack ****. If someone thinks they are above the team and need to have their egos stroked, then let them walk. Bring in guys that want to be here and coach them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off who the hell is Korzo and why does his opinion matter?

If Coffey gets drafted and moves on great. I'd love to see him back with the Gophers and lead us to another tournament but getting a guy drafted would be some good publicity for the program as well. If he is not going to be drafted I definitely believe Amir will be back. If he was gonna go play in Europe he would've already done it by now instead of sticking around and playing 3 years for a coach he supposedly "hates".

The Coffey dad believed his son was one and done(no chance)...........so it's Pitino's fault apparently (anyone close to the program knows this)

The Hurt dad believed his older boy was going to tear it up here(should be at Winona State)(anyone close to the program knows this)............that's Pitino's fault apparently.

I'm actually excited to get these two dads out of the mix. They are starting to bore the schit out of people.

By the way, Coffey had the ball in his hands all season. What the hell more could he want?

Last edited:

None of this sounds like Richard Coffey, to me. The family maybe talking about the best path forward for Amir, but I doubt Richard is participating in assigning blame.

I want Amur back I think the Gophers could have a good team. What style does he want? Amir has aspirations for the next level. At the next level you need to be able to shoot threes. He shot 30% from three many which were wide open looks because teams know he is not a great shooter.

What style Duke? Carolina type? Both rely on the three. Texas Tech and Virginia? Both slow the pace but rely on shot markers from three. When you shoot 30% from three no one is hindering your development! Make shots it’s that simple like a Cam Johnson. 30% won’t get it done in Europe, NBA or G League

Seriously? What an odd justification to fire someone

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see Coffey leave without a first round pick projection.

Oh, I don't know, probably for the same reason most people who leave a school after two or three years complete the semester: to finish the credits they started. I would think finishing the semester particularly would be encouraged by his educated parents who live in the area. If he's going to finish his degree some day, having fewer credits remaining would help.

Aggressively challenging people with stupid questions isn't much of a challenge and the challenge isn't enhanced by throwing around the word "troll."

Last edited:

Seriously? What an odd justification to fire someone

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't like Pitino and even I think suggesting that someone should be fired for that is over-the-top.

Doogie got out scooped by Korzo? Doogs likes taking little shots at the program and Pitino which is fine. I justified wish he would scoop us and let us know the shade of lipstick he uses when kissing Richard Coffey ‘s behind on his Podcast...

With all due respect, I'm seeing a lot of "blame the messenger" on this board when it comes to Gopher sports.

Anyone who says or reports anything that's perceived as negative is called a troll, or has an agenda.

Look, I have no inside info. Korzo could be wrong - but he could be right.

Taking a broader approach - let's say Korzo is right, and Coffey has a bad relationship with his coach. What does that say about the program? this is - or at least could be - bigger than one player. Ignoring problems does not make them go away.

bottom line - the Matthew Hurt comments, and now the Coffey story are concerning, to say the least.

Suggesting that all is not right with the program does not make you a troll or a hater. It does not mean you want the coach or the program to fail. It may mean you want the program to succeed, and you're questioning whether the program is on the right path to success.

Why are so we obsessed with a one year Minnesota kid? This is never going to be a one and done destination. It just won't no matter how hard we try to convince ourselves otherwise. By the way, none of the four schools that played last night are one and done destinations either.

These are all very good points although Michigan State has had a number of one-and-done players and Texas Tech had a surprise one (he wasn't that highly recruited out of high school) last year.

One-and-done players don't do a lot for a program like ours. They, and the institution, are better off going to a school where they play with other elite recruits instead of being the one very elite recruit on the team. Ben Simmons was one of the most elite recruits this century and he had an almost triple double average NBA rookie year, but LSU wasn't that good with him during his one year there. Washington had a losing season with #1 pick Markell Fultz although he stuffed the stats there. Humphries led the league in scoring and rebounding here but the team had a lousy year with him.

Programs like ours depend upon maturity, player development, and team chemistry to succeed. A one-year residence by a player who gathers all the attention isn't all that promising for us. Furthermore, as you said, having an occasional one-and-done player here isn't going to turn us into a destination for those types of players.

First off who the hell is Korzo and why does his opinion matter?

If Coffey gets drafted and moves on great. I'd love to see him back with the Gophers and lead us to another tournament but getting a guy drafted would be some good publicity for the program as well. If he is not going to be drafted I definitely believe Amir will be back. If he was gonna go play in Europe he would've already done it by now instead of sticking around and playing 3 years for a coach he supposedly "hates".

Scott Korzenowski was a local beat writer a few decades ago and is now a fairly prominent defense attorney in the Twin Cities. He was a regular on 1500, hosted Gopher Basketball Weekly with Spencer Tollackson on Saturday mornings and is now on KFAN. He absolutely is plugged in and knows his stuff.

It's not the first time I've heard players not liking Pitino, but that to me is as much on the player as it is on the coach. We'll find out with Amir by May 29, that's when he has to decide to stay in the draft or come back to school.

If Hurt wants to play the card that Pitino stopped recruiting him, that's his objective. I don't think anyone ever seriously thought he would be a Gopher, otherwise he would've committed a long time ago. I never ruled it out, but never gave it serious thought.

Plus 1:

Pitino owes these kids and their parents exactly jack ****. If someone thinks they are above the team and need to have their egos stroked, then let them walk. Bring in guys that want to be here and coach them up. ]The Coffey dad believed his son was one and done(no chance)...........

Plus 2:

By the way, Coffey had the ball in his hands all season. What the hell more could he want?

Coffey played 83% of his minutes available and scored 25% of the teams points while taking 23% of the teams shots. His shooting % was third among common starters. I think he got a chance to play this year.

With all due respect, I'm seeing a lot of "blame the messenger" on this board when it comes to Gopher sports.

Anyone who says or reports anything that's perceived as negative is called a troll, or has an agenda.

Look, I have no inside info. Korzo could be wrong - but he could be right.

Taking a broader approach - let's say Korzo is right, and Coffey has a bad relationship with his coach. What does that say about the program? this is - or at least could be - bigger than one player. Ignoring problems does not make them go away.

bottom line - the Matthew Hurt comments, and now the Coffey story are concerning, to say the least.

Suggesting that all is not right with the program does not make you a troll or a hater. It does not mean you want the coach or the program to fail. It may mean you want the program to succeed, and you're questioning whether the program is on the right path to success.

If the issues regarding the Hurts and Coffeys are this extreme, it stands to reason that the incompetence extends to other recruits and other areas of coaching. Yet is Pitino's boss, who quickly fired Claeys, so out of touch that he doesnt see it? Or perhaps Coyle is similarly incompetent? Doesnt add up to me.

Coffey played 83% of his minutes available and scored 25% of the teams points while taking 23% of the teams shots. His shooting % was third among common starters. I think he got a chance to play this year.
He also got the chance to show off his point guard skills. Seems like a ridiculous argument if true.

Top Bottom