KFAN Korzo says Coffee will NEVER return to Minnesota

I'm going to break up this post and address it accordingly

wrong. it's bogus because no reputable journalist has reported it. not one. I'm not going to base my opinions and perceptions of the program off of an anonymous Gopherhole post. The anti-Pitino posters on this board have gotten enough wrong this year for me to understand the quality of their "inside sources" and hot takes.

notice how in my post I said Coffey will go if he "gets assurances from a NBA team that he has a chance to make their roster." I didn't say he needed to be selected in the NBA draft in order for him to make the decision to leave. There are a lot of players on two-way contracts in the NBA/G-League right now that are making an impact and earning themselves a roster spot in the NBA.

I can definitely see a team telling Coffey, "hey, we might not select you in the 2nd round, but we will make you a high-priority undrafted free agent and you will have the opportunity to compete for one of our two-way contracts."

If that's the case then I expect Coffey to think long and hard about returning to college.

Notice that coffee or his Father have not come out in strong support of Richard or the University..I would suggest you call Korzo as he is on KFAN at 8am Sunday.....

Notice that coffee or his Father have not come out in strong support of Richard or the University..I would suggest you call Korzo as he is on KFAN at 8am Sunday.....

listen to Amir's recent interview with Nadine. She flat out asked him if there was a chance he would go elsewhere (i.e. anywhere but Minnesota) even if he got bad reviews during the NBA draft process, closing that path temporarily.

Amir was genuinely confused by the question. I didn't transcribe his response, but it was essentially: "Well, I have two options, I either hear good things from the NBA and go forward with that route, or I will be returning to Minnesota."

It sounded as if he hadn't even entertained any other scenario.

That may be because we don't have any players by that name.

Was.... was this written by Korzo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

listen to Amir's recent interview with Nadine. She flat out asked him if there was a chance he would go elsewhere (i.e. anywhere but Minnesota) even if he got bad reviews during the NBA draft process, closing that path temporarily.

Amir was genuinely confused by the question. I didn't transcribe his response, but it was essentially: "Well, I have two options, I either hear good things from the NBA and go forward with that route, or I will be returning to Minnesota."

Didn’t hear the interview. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't realize it was customary for upperclassmen -- and their parents -- to issue manifestos in support of the coach. Do they hold a public caucus, and vote as a team? I'm not a hyper-plugged-in super-duper college basketball aficianado.

JTGf

Mostly Ty Jerome from what I saw, but I only watched like 1 and a half of their games

No one said only 1 player was allowed to handle the ball. There is a difference between position flexibility and saying positions don't exist.

...what about them?

I guess if we had Murphy breaking the press by himself and initiating the offense every play while Isaiah Washington posted up on the block, they wouldn't have been playing out of position, because playing out of position isn't a thing :rolleyes:

I'm not saying Amir playing PG was a disaster, but he's better at shooting off the catch than off the dribble and he struggles to get by smaller/quicker defenders. He's great in transition when he has a full head of steam, but when he tries to get by someone from a standstill position like you often have to at PG, he struggles because he doesn't have an explosive first step. This can make the offense stagnant.

If a player is forced to play a role where they are playing to their weaknesses instead of playing to their strengths, they are playing out of position.

I get what you are saying as well. Roles matter and lead to actions. I agree Amir didn’t get enough catch and shoot threes, I attribute that to not having a guy that got to the paint consistently enough to get those. Also Murph was great but he didn’t do that part well either. Amir’s “position” is irrelevant with those issues The more we keep evolving the more that positions do not exist is my point.

Anyone who is upset with this post should listen to the Korzo pod cast from last Sunday and call his show this week. He is on at 8am on sundays on KFAN. Don’t get angry at me ! However, I agree with Korzs takes on the wolves and Gophers. Richards extension should have had nothing to do with making the NCAAs. It should have been given based on the past 6 years performance and the direction of the program, including wins, losses, player development, school performance, attendance, net revenue.

My instincts tell me if Coyle looked at all the factors objectively with a different set of standards and expectations, running it like a business, Hoiberg or Muss would be our coach.

Anyone who is upset with this post should listen to the Korzo pod cast from last Sunday and call his show this week. He is on at 8am on sundays on KFAN. Don’t get angry at me ! However, I agree with Korzs takes on the wolves and Gophers. Richards extension should have had nothing to do with making the NCAAs. It should have been given based on the past 6 years performance and the direction of the program, including wins, losses, player development, school performance, attendance, net revenue.

My instincts tell me if Coyle looked at all the factors objectively with a different set of standards and expectations, running it like a business, Hoiberg or Muss would be our coach.
The endless pursuit of shiny objects...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Imagine replaying the last season - only, instead of 2 transfers sitting out the season in Carr and Willis, one of those spots had instead gone to a FR PG, a Juco PG or a Grad Transfer PG who was good enough to play at least 10-15 minutes a game.

Could that have made the difference in 1 or 2 more victories - leading to a better seed in the Conf tournament, and a better seed in the NCAA tournament?

That is directly due to roster management - or mismanagement. If you're going to give the coach credit for moves/recruits that worked, you also have to be willing to criticize moves/recruits that didn't work as well.

There was just as good of a chance that Washington could have provided those 10-15 minutes or more.

I think the staff thought at least one of these two things would happen: Carr gets the waiver or Washington improves enough to give them 20 solid minutes a game. If they really wanted Carr, which I believe they did, bringing in a FR or Juco PG is highly unlikely as that would have made for a crowded position. The only options would have been to try bringing in a grad transfer. For all we know maybe they did.

I would suggest that you learn how to spell Amir’s last name.

I would suggest that you learn how to spell Amir’s last name.

Actually Pitino made him change the spelling to Coffee for simplicity sake. Another strong reason for Coffees hatred of Pitino. It's been brewing for awhile.

Actually Pitino made him change the spelling to Coffee for simplicity sake. Another strong reason for Coffees hatred of Pitino. It's been brewing for awhile.

Don't give up your day job or anything, but nice work!

My guess is that is the way Coyle looked at it.

THAT"S NOT WHAT KORZO SAYS! :rolleyes:

I've never even heard of Korzo, so I scrolled way down and found his podcast to see what he actually said;

By the way I’ve heard some people that are around the program they say the chance of AC coming back is almost close to zero chance. They say he hates RP, that’s what I’ve heard, don’t know if it’s true. It certainly can’t be because RP didn’t give AC the ball all the time and it was right to give him the ball all the time, right, that was the way they had to play. He would play every minute of ever game unless he needed a rest… ... It was just something I had heard.

I've never even heard of Korzo, so I scrolled way down and found his podcast to see what he actually said;

By the way I’ve heard some people that are around the program they say the chance of AC coming back is almost close to zero chance. They say he hates RP, that’s what I’ve heard, don’t know if it’s true. It certainly can’t be because RP didn’t give AC the ball all the time and it was right to give him the ball all the time, right, that was the way they had to play. He would play every minute of ever game unless he needed a rest… ... It was just something I had heard.

And this is why so many here criticized the messenger (millions2spare).

There was just as good of a chance that Washington could have provided those 10-15 minutes or more.

I think the staff thought at least one of these two things would happen: Carr gets the waiver or Washington improves enough to give them 20 solid minutes a game. If they really wanted Carr, which I believe they did, bringing in a FR or Juco PG is highly unlikely as that would have made for a crowded position. The only options would have been to try bringing in a grad transfer. For all we know maybe they did.

OR Geno doesn't give MN hints he's going to come and then go to Gonzaga. We had a plan A, B, and C and none worked. I guess you can put that somewhat on the coach as none of the plans were sure things, but being on your plan D at point guard and winning an NCAA tournament game doesn't feel like a huge indictment of the coach or the program to me.

Did somebody say CHURRO?

I downloaded some more Skol North podcast to listen to the plane this last week. I liked the Gopher Show podcasts that are on the Skol North.

This Korzo has a show on Skol North. I tried listening to one of his shows and just couldn’t listen for more than about 5 minutes. What a Rube! He obviously doesn’t have any inside information. He just rambles on about what he see and thinks with out much logic or reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom