KFAN Korzo says Coffee will NEVER return to Minnesota

It's 100% true, whether you believe it or not. Amir Coffey will either be a grad transfer (as I've been saying for weeks) or he'll play professionally next year.

The reason: Pops thinks he was played out of position due to Pitino's mismanagement of the roster. Pops is correct. Playing PG and having the "keys to the offense" did not help Amir's draft stock. It hurt it.

As I've stated before, Amir said he will still need 6-7 classes after this semester to graduate on the GH podcast so grad transferring isn't an option for him. And if he had 100% shut the door on coming back he wouldn't be finishing this semester unless he was graduating this spring which he isn't.

I do agree Amir really, really wants to go pro and if he has the slightest he will play in the NBA he will bolt but based on the above, I don't believe he is absolutely 100% set on leaving. And he isn't a top 100 prospect by 4 different lists I've seen. I haven't seen him listed on any prospect rankings actually. So we will see what happens.

It's 100% true, whether you believe it or not. Amir Coffey will either be a grad transfer (as I've been saying for weeks) or he'll play professionally next year.

The reason: Pops thinks he was played out of position due to Pitino's mismanagement of the roster. Pops is correct. Playing PG and having the "keys to the offense" did not help Amir's draft stock. It hurt it.

I have a real issue with people thinking Pitino mismanaged the roster. For various reasons, players didn't work out, but it is not because of mismanagement. Here is what our roster should have been:
PG- Marcus Carr, IW
SG- Gabe, Dupree, Stull
Wing-Amir, Hurt
PF- Murphy, Curry, Omersa
C-Oturo, Matz
Everybody expected Carr to get a waiver. Today, it seems like you can get a waiver if you have a sick relative within 3,000 miles of the school.
IW did not become the player everyone expected, for whatever reason.
Curry, Dupree and Amir can all play dual or multiple positions. On paper, I don't think the roster could be managed any better

I have a real issue with people thinking Pitino mismanaged the roster. For various reasons, players didn't work out, but it is not because of mismanagement. Here is what our roster should have been:
PG- Marcus Carr, IW
SG- Gabe, Dupree, Stull
Wing-Amir, Hurt
C-Oturo, Matz
Everybody expected Carr to get a waiver. Today, it seems like you can get a waiver if you have a sick relative within 3,000 miles of the school.
Curry, Dupree and Amir can all play dual or multiple positions. On paper, I don't think the roster could be managed any better

Jarvis would have been a senior this year too had he had a good heart

Jarvis’ health issue was a major letdown for both him and the program. People forget how talented a player he is.

PG- Marcus Carr, IW
SG- Gabe, Dupree, Stull
Wing-Amir, Hurt
C-Oturo, Matz

This is a clear example of how he mismanaged the roster. Carr was a transfer and a waiver was never guaranteed. Stull couldn't play the 1 at all so he was a wasted scholarship. We should have had a pg locked up in the early signing period and added Carr as a transfer late.

This is a clear example of how he mismanaged the roster. Carr was a transfer and a waiver was never guaranteed. Stull couldn't play the 1 at all so he was a wasted scholarship. We should have had a pg locked up in the early signing period and added Carr as a transfer late.

If they had landed a PG early- maybe they would not have gotten Carr.

If they had landed a PG early- maybe they would not have gotten Carr.

Either way we didn't have a PG all year. We could have been much better with 1. Now we only have 1 PG again going into next year. I know there is still time to sign other guys and get a transfer but next year could be another rebuild which I feel like has been happening every other year here

Last edited:

Everybody expected Carr to get a waiver.

I don't think that was true, particularly at the time we got him (around the spring signing period). At the time, Pitino publicly said he would likely have to sit a year, and private message board chatter was consistent with that. His dogged pursuit of Geno also was consistent with that. It was only in late summer, as more guys started getting waivers, that optimism built a little bit.

Justin Fields got a hardship waiver to go from Georgia to OSU. He is from Georgia. There was no reason to not grant the waiver to Carr. People around the NCAA were shocked that he didn't get the waiver. The waiver was expected by people inside and out of the program.
2 pgs, 2 sgs, 1 wing, 5 bigs and 2 multi position guys that can play the 3 non-big positions is perfect roster management. Even without Carr, if IW would have fit here (25 min at the point), along with Amir and Dupree picking up the remaining point minutes would have worked.
If someone is critical of player development, I can see that, but despite setbacks to Jarvis and Dorsey, he maintained the point. IW didn't fit, period.

Either way we didn't have a PG all year. We could have much better with 1. Now we only have 1 PG again going into next year. I know their is still time to sign other guys and get a transfer but next year could be another rebuild which I feel like has been happening every other year here

Well that's Tubby's fault. He's put Pitino behind the 8 ball for six straight years. How could we expect anyone to be successful following Tubby as coach?

Justin Fields got a hardship waiver to go from Georgia to OSU. He is from Georgia. There was no reason to not grant the waiver to Carr. People around the NCAA were shocked that he didn't get the waiver. The waiver was expected by people inside and out of the program.
2 pgs, 2 sgs, 1 wing, 5 bigs and 2 multi position guys that can play the 3 non-big positions is perfect roster management. Even without Carr, if IW would have fit here (25 min at the point), along with Amir and Dupree picking up the remaining point minutes would have worked.
If someone is critical of player development, I can see that, but despite setbacks to Jarvis and Dorsey, he maintained the point. IW didn't fit, period.

We can go through threads when he first transferred saying he would have to sit. Also, Fields in football had nothing to do with being closed to home. He used the baseball kid calling him the N word as a way to get a waiver granted. https://247sports.com/college/baske...r-Marcus-Carr-commits-to-Minnesota-118050336/ This article on rivals at the time said that Carr would sit out. When we started petitioning for a waiver when everyone started getting them late in the summer

Either way we didn't have a PG all year. We could have much better with 1. Now we only have 1 PG again going into next year. I know their is still time to sign other guys and get a transfer but next year could be another rebuild which I feel like has been happening every other year here

With all of the transfers and the early draft entries every year- it is really hard to know how a team is going to shape up until later in May. Most teams are relying on Freshmen and transfers to come in and contribute. Texas Tech looked a lot different on paper without Mooney and Owens.

We can go through threads when he first transferred saying he would have to sit. Also, Fields in football had nothing to do with being closed to home. He used the baseball kid calling him the N word as a way to get a waiver granted. https://247sports.com/college/baske...r-Marcus-Carr-commits-to-Minnesota-118050336/ This article on rivals at the time said that Carr would sit out. When we started petitioning for a waiver when everyone started getting them late in the summer

The NCAA changed transfer rules last year. They were supposed to consider coaching changes into the waiver process, which applies to Carr. This is all besides the point since they denied the waiver

The NCAA changed transfer rules last year. They were supposed to consider coaching changes into the waiver process, which applies to Carr. This is all besides the point since they denied the waiver

My point was they changed the rule after Carr was already signed here so there was no way that Pitino banked on that at the time.

You can't criticize Pitino for mismanaging the roster and then suggest this. Having 3 underclassmen PGs would be the definition of roster mismanagement. It would never happen anyways. If they had signed a recruit, there's no chance Carr transfers to MN.

If you you have the opportunity to bring in a low rated PG or take a chance that a guy like Carr gets the waiver (which pretty much everyone expected to get), I'd take Carr every time. The issue is with the NCAA and their inconsistency.

No it isn’t. IW was still an option at PG with expected development, and Stull was a one year back up option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This guy has no clue.

Coffey isn't on any mocks I've seen, why leave to play in the D league or Europe?

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Cuz playing in front of 10,000-plus fans in your home state in perhaps the most competitive conference in the country is a buzzkill.

Playing in front of 2,000 people in exotic locations like Ft. Wayne, Sioux Falls and Grand Rapids while pulling down $35,000 a year ... well, how you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, amiright?

JTG

That's why this Korzo clown has no clue. Return for you senior year, hopefully fine-tune your jumper, lead the Gophers to a top 4 big-ten finish and great-8 NCAA run. Or play in Ft. Wayne, yuck.

Cuz playing in front of 10,000-plus fans in your home state in perhaps the most competitive conference in the country is a buzzkill.

Playing in front of 2,000 people in exotic locations like Ft. Wayne, Sioux Falls and Grand Rapids while pulling down $35,000 a year ... well, how you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, amiright?

JTG

There are other options besides the G-League that pay well into 6 figures in Europe/Asia.

No. The NCAA didn't change anything in the rulebook about waivers for coaching changes. Carr was never expected to get a waiver and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he didn't get one.

No. The NCAA didn't change anything in the rulebook about waivers for coaching changes. Carr was never expected to get a waiver and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he didn't get one.

The year in residence waiver can be granted if the student athlete meets the requirement that something out of the students control has happened. 63% of the waiver requests in basketball have been granted since 2014. It was discussed in last years meetings to consider coaching changes as a reason that was out of the student athletes control.

The year in residence waiver can be granted if the student athlete meets the requirement that something out of the students control has happened. 63% of the waiver requests in basketball have been granted since 2014. It was discussed in last years meetings to consider coaching changes as a reason that was out of the student athletes control.

Sure, it was discussed and may be changed in the future. But the rule was not changed last year. There was no reason for Carr to get a waiver based on the rules that were in place at the time.

Jarvis would have been a senior this year too had he had a good heart

The Jarvis situation has been known for years. It simply isn't a scapegoat for not having more than 1 PG on this roster.

Sure, it was discussed and may be changed in the future. But the rule was not changed last year. There was no reason for Carr to get a waiver based on the rules that were in place at the time.

Their was a subtle change to policy. It now reads (change in 2018) "Mitigating circumstances that are outside of the student athletes control and directly impact the health, safety and well being of the student athlete". Though the NCAA does not publish reasons for transfer to protect the rights of the student athlete, many cases have been tried due to a coaching change and have been granted

PG- Marcus Carr, IW
SG- Gabe, Dupree, Stull
Wing-Amir, Hurt
C-Oturo, Matz

You don't think our roster could have been managed better? Are you kidding me?

Marcus Carr's waiver was an absolute crap shoot. Everyone knew it, people were about 50/50 on this board as to whether or not he'd get a waiver. You act as if Pitino should have no way of knowing that we'd be without Carr.

We had a team with 1 PG on the roster. IW had not set the world on fire and his development was a bit of a hope and prayer. It looked it could go either way at the beginning of the year, but it going poorly was always a possibility with IW.
Carr was a crap shoot.

We didn't have even a mediocre PG as a safety net.

Could you imagine our lack of depth if Gabe would have been just a typical FR (if he was as far along as Omersa)?

Their was a subtle change to policy. It now reads (change in 2018) "Mitigating circumstances that are outside of the student athletes control and directly impact the health, safety and well being of the student athlete". Though the NCAA does not publish reasons for transfer to protect the rights of the student athlete, many cases have been tried due to a coaching change and have been granted

Yep and many have failed.

We knew there was a decent chance we wouldn't have this year. We didn't and we were w/o a PG. That's Pitino's fault.

The only time a transfer got a waiver on the basis of a coaching change was when the coach who left was the father of the player. There were no other waivers approved based solely on a coaching change.

There are other options besides the G-League that pay well into 6 figures in Europe/Asia.

All of which can be pursued AFTER graduating as a senior and playing it out, assuming one does not need the money. If there is not a high likelihood of a first round selection, there is virtually no reason to leave college other than money.

Top Bottom