KFAN Korzo says Coffee will NEVER return to Minnesota

I actually feel sorry for the Matthew Hurt level recruits to some degree. He is a high school kid, nothing more at this point. He isn't going to necessarily say the right thing every time a microphone gets put in his face. But yet we blast away when the answer doesn't suit the best interest of our team. The reality is the vast majority of Gopher basketball fans (and media members too) couldn't name the targets the Gophers are pursuing right now -- the Grant Sherfield/Austin Crowley types. Many can only name the two or three elite recruits the State of Minnesota has produced. Then when Tre Jones/Matthew Hurt/Jalen Suggs decide to pursue other opportunities it is perceived as a fundamental flaw in the coaching regime or some sort of disloyalty to the state by the recruit. This is just not based in the reality of the college basketball landscape today. It would be a major coup to land one of these guys, not the other way around. Who among us would tell our kids to close the door when Duke or Stanford calls and a free college experience awaits. It's crazy.

Spot on.

Are you Korzo or his/her assistant? This person keeps being talked about as though s/he is worth listening to, but I have never heard of the person let alone listened to him/her.

So if I like him and you've never heard of him, that can only mean I'm Korzo or his assistant.

Gotcha.

Are you Korzo or his/her assistant? This person keeps being talked about as though s/he is worth listening to, but I have never heard of the person let alone listened to him/her.

Go ahead and discount him, but he hosted a weekly Gopher show with Spencer Tollackson for several years up to the end of the 2017 season. He's plugged in to the Gopher sports scene.

It is a pretty low blow to go after the coach when you know they can't respond. And to what end really, Hurt was never coming here, so why be petty and take shots at the local school when you were just going to cash in on the biggest offer anyway from one of the blue bloods with all the under the table money.

I will be so happy when Hurt makes his choice and just goes away. I don't think Amir even knows what he is gonna do at the present time, so how does some doofus at a radio station know?

Actually, if Coffey can make money playing basketball next year he should do it. He most likely isn't going to help his draft status by playing another year. Most of these guys drafted in the NBA are pretty young, and he would just be another year older. I'd love to have him back, but I understand if he wants to make money playing basketball next year.

About Coffey not liking Pitino....when you start hearing things 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand it's sometimes hard to take it seriously. He might not like all the things that Pitino has done, but I would be shocked if he hated him.

As far as Hurt goes, I don't buy the narrative that he was never going to come here. I believe we had a shot at him and he was open to coming to the U. I'm not blaming Pitino for this, because I don't know what happened. Maybe Pitino stopped recruiting him. Maybe someone in Hurt's family told Pitino he wasn't going to be coming to the U. Maybe the family thought Michael wasn't used correctly. Maybe they didn't feel like the U was competitive enough. Maybe it's a combination of all of it.

Last edited:

There is a crew on here that goes ballistic with childish indignation when they hear things they don't like.

I think this has a lot more to do with who posted it. I'm pretty sure he's been banned before. He hadn't posted much for a few years, then all of a sudden shows up with all these rants about Pitino.

Did anyone else actually hear the KFAN interview?

Actually, if Coffey can make money playing basketball next year he should do it. He most likely isn't going to help his draft status by playing another year. Most of these guys drafted in the NBA are pretty young, and he would just be another year older. I'd love to have him back, but I understand if he wants to make money playing basketball next year.

About Coffey not liking Pitino....when you start hearing things 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand it's sometimes hard to take it seriously. He might not like all the things that Pitino has done, but I would be shocked if he hated him.

x2 on both points.

Coffey may make the NBA, but he will also be paid well in Europe if he doesnt make it. But I doubt Coffey could raise his stock much next year.

x2 on both points.

Coffey may make the NBA, but he will also be paid well in Europe if he doesnt make it. But I doubt Coffey could raise his stock much next year.

I actually think he could improve his stock if three things happened:
1. He picked up where he left off and scored at a high rate more of the year. (Higher scoring avg).
2. Named first team all-Big 10
3. Improved his three-point percentage significantly. This could happen with Carr running the show, as Coffey should be getting better catch and shoot chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. He picked up where he left off and scored at a high rate more of the year. (Higher scoring avg).
3. Improved his three-point percentage significantly. This could happen with Carr running the show, as Coffey should be getting better catch and shoot chances.

I agree with all of this, and those all seem like realistic possibilities to me. I believe that there is a very low risk that another season with the Gophers could be detrimental to his prospects, so I think a risk-reward analysis of playing his senior season would be slanted toward the reward side for him.

I suppose the flip side of the "staying another year" argument is the chance of injury. If Coffey gets injured, then he's a 4-year senior coming out after a down year with injury questions. Weigh that against the possibility that he returns and puts up significantly better numbers. he and his advisers may just think that they're better off coming out now when Coffey is coming off a pretty good run of games in the B1G tourney and NCAA's.

if Coffey does come back, other teams are going to try and take him out of games, because he would be the top returning player. So, he might just think there isn't a lot of upside in playing another year for the Gophers - regardless of what his relationship with the coach is like.

I believe that there is a very low risk that another season with the Gophers could be detrimental to his prospects,

I agree with that but I will also say I believe (and probably Coffey believes as well) that another season with the Gophers won't do much to improve his prospects. The college game just isn't that well thought of in the professional ranks. The only reason they want them to go to college at all is to see whether or not they can play at a higher level.

Perhaps the best reason for coming back would be for academic cost savings: get his remaining credits free instead of having to pay for them himself someday if he completes his degree but I could see that not being a strong motivator at this point in his life.

I suppose the flip side of the "staying another year" argument is the chance of injury. If Coffey gets injured, then he's a 4-year senior coming out after a down year with injury questions. Weigh that against the possibility that he returns and puts up significantly better numbers. he and his advisers may just think that they're better off coming out now when Coffey is coming off a pretty good run of games in the B1G tourney and NCAA's.

if Coffey does come back, other teams are going to try and take him out of games, because he would be the top returning player. So, he might just think there isn't a lot of upside in playing another year for the Gophers - regardless of what his relationship with the coach is like.

The chance of injury discussion only works if the injury stops him from being drafted in the NBA. He's not going to get drafted this year and he is not going to get drafted next year unless he returns to the Gophers and improves his all around game. He has as great or greater a chance (more games) to get injured in Europe playing for a few hundred grand a year.

If he wants to play in the NBA- returning is as good a shot as he has.

I agree with that but I will also say I believe (and probably Coffey believes as well) that another season with the Gophers won't do much to improve his prospects. The college game just isn't that well thought of in the professional ranks. The only reason they want them to go to college at all is to see whether or not they can play at a higher level.

Perhaps the best reason for coming back would be for academic cost savings: get his remaining credits free instead of having to pay for them himself someday if he completes his degree but I could see that not being a strong motivator at this point in his life.

As long as he completes his remaining credits within ten years they're still free.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

"Division I schools will be required to pay for tuition, fees and books for basketball players who leave school and return later to the same school to earn their degree. Former student-athletes will be eligible for financial assistance to complete their first degree if they were on scholarship and fewer than 10 years have passed since they left school. Additionally, students must have been in school for two years before leaving."

Korzo is a former sports writer and a huge Gopher basketball fan and talks pretty objectively about the team but from a fan's perspective. I think most people on this board would really enjoy listening to him talk about the Gophers during the season, even if they don't always agree with him.

The original post really did him a disservice in this thread. He was not making any bones about trying to break news. He was only saying what he heard, then commented on it. He was talking mostly about Hurt, quoting the Pioneer Press article, and added about two sentences about Coffey. Here's the direct quotes about his "source":

"By the way, I’ve heard some people that are around the program, they said the chances of Amir Coffey coming back are close to zero, because he hates Richard Pitino. That’s what I’ve heard; don’t know if it’s true."

I listened to it and that's exactly right. There are so many rumors. Some true, some not. It's part of the game and April has become the free agency equivalent in college basketball.

I think this has a lot more to do with who posted it. I'm pretty sure he's been banned before. He hadn't posted much for a few years, then all of a sudden shows up with all these rants about Pitino.

Did anyone else actually hear the KFAN interview?

I have no problem with going after the OP's editorializing of the story. It just seems we have heard of this Coffey/Pitino rift previously, so it doesn't seem that far fetched. Maybe the Hurt's lied about the ceasing of recruiting, though I have yet to connect the dots on why they would lie about that. And maybe the Coffey rift is a also a lie, but I would have to say both are toss-ups at best. Or at the very least questionable enough so as not send out the lynch mobs.

Why would Coffey hate Pitino? He gave him the keys to the offense and let him play PG. He would of had a hard time getting that chance most anywhere else.

I'd argue Murphy helped his situation by returning. I know that's apples and oranges (not origins) but I would think the upside for coffey returning, sans an injury, are greater than the downsides. I guess he just has to see where he may be projected and then considrr the risk/benefit of returning or heading to Europe if his draft potential isnt as good as he thinks. I'm going to work off the assumption hes gone regardless so I can be pleasantly surprised if he opts to return

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Why would Coffey hate Pitino? He gave him the keys to the offense and let him play PG. He would of had a hard time getting that chance most anywhere else.

Apparently the rumor is that Pitino pressured Coffey to play last year when should have been sitting and then Amir got injured because of it.

I think its more his dad. Richards always been unrealistic about Amir. Complained his 1st 2 years that Amir needed the ball more and needed to run the offense, this year complained Amir was out of position. They initially expected to be a 1 and done, then 2 and done, now year 3 and they still arent on any draft boards. Instead of looking in the mirror they like blaming others. I get the feeling this NBA evaluation is gonna be a real humbling experience for the Coffeys.

I think its more his dad. Richards always been unrealistic about Amir. Complained his 1st 2 years that Amir needed the ball more and needed to run the offense, this year complained Amir was out of position. They initially expected to be a 1 and done, then 2 and done, now year 3 and they still arent on any draft boards. Instead of looking in the mirror they like blaming others. I get the feeling this NBA evaluation is gonna be a real humbling experience for the Coffeys.

Have we ever seen anything from Richard Coffey on the record? Seems like a bunch of speculation over his three years?

Those first two would have no bearing on his draft stock.

NBA teams look at a players skill and try to determine how that will translate to the NBA. An uptick in scoring (due to volume) or being first team all-big 10 wont do anything if scouts don't see improvement in skill.

Your 3rd point though is spot on. If he can develop a more reliable jumper that would do wonders for his draft stock.

But the bottom line is that Coffey's stock wont change one bit if the only "improvement" in his game is higher scoring (especially if he has a low FG%). He needs to refine and develop his skills.

Looking at stats in college is almost 100% misleading without looking at the context.

Why does everyone keep saying Matthew hurt is a one and done? He’s not Zion. He’s not even true jones. He’s a really good high school shooter, not Larry bird. That said, love to have him for a few years at the U.

Wager Matthew plays at least 2, probably 3 years of college hoops.

Correct. He is better than Tre Jones.

Nope. It's because some guy named Korzo says he hates Pitino. Quit trying to push logical, fake news, agenda. :rolleyes:

I'd argue Murphy helped his situation by returning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would agree. Having a better team around him helped his productivity and the team success gave him greater exposure. Coffey may be seeing a worse team ahead though.

I would agree. Having a better team around him helped his productivity and the team success gave him greater exposure. Coffey may be seeing a worse team ahead though.
I think Coffey could work on his game too, there where plenty games when he was just a shadow. And then the next game he will show up and score 25 points. Very spotty, one more year with the golfers would be best for him and his draft status

Nope. It's because some guy named Korzo says he hates Pitino. Quit trying to push logical, fake news, agenda. :rolleyes:

It's 100% true, whether you believe it or not. Amir Coffey will either be a grad transfer (as I've been saying for weeks) or he'll play professionally next year.

The reason: Pops thinks he was played out of position due to Pitino's mismanagement of the roster. Pops is correct. Playing PG and having the "keys to the offense" did not help Amir's draft stock. It hurt it.

It's 100% true, whether you believe it or not. Amir Coffey will either be a grad transfer (as I've been saying for weeks) or he'll play professionally next year.

The reason: Pops thinks he was played out of position due to Pitino's mismanagement of the roster. Pops is correct. Playing PG and having the "keys to the offense" did not help Amir's draft stock. It hurt it.

Pops and Amir have wanted to be the primary ball handler. That was well known since he was in high school. It has to do with the injury stuff last year if anything.

I don't care how many weeks you say it for. Amir can not and will not be a grad transfer. Obviously he can go pro though.

Funny! If true, then Pops is a jerk. He was the one pushing for Pitino to play his son at the point. I don’t buy your story. In the great podcast by Nadine, Amir talks about how much playing the point helped his game.

Top Bottom