PP: Success of Texas Tech, Auburn shows programs like MN should raise expectations

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jace:

Two programs unfamiliar with these levels of success will take to the U.S. Bank Stadium floor Saturday in the national semifinals. That should serve as a wake-up call to programs all across the country, including Minnesota. Just because you haven’t, doesn’t mean you can’t. So often are expectations for teams across the country set too low for years on end. Average results are celebrated as successes, and failures are excused as the status quo.

When it comes to programs such as Minnesota, any suggestion that a .500 conference record and an NCAA tournament appearance adds up to anything less than a successful season is smeared as an uneducated opinion or unrealistic expectation. But should it be? Maybe the bar should be raised for more college basketball programs. Mediocrity can be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

https://www.usabreakingnews.net/201...ams-like-minnesota-should-raise-expectations/

Go Gophers!!

I've been saying that Pitino has run a mediocre program with little hope of anything better. Each year, he seems to do just enough to stop the firing squad, but yet we see teams like Texas Tech and Auburn leap right past us. Now Coyle will give him an extension which makes no sense whatsoever. Vanderbilt hired Stackhouse. He has no college coaching experience. For some reason, I feel like Vanderbilt will be ahead of Minnesota in 2 years.

Auburn was top 8 team preseason...did not leap in front of us. Texas Tech leaped in front of a multitude of teams with beard

Minnesota athletics always celebrates mediocrity. They are a politically correct university who justifies this attitude by claiming to be a “HIGHER” level institution. I can never understand why we cannot become a program that can win that actually has the effect of elevating the reputation of the university as a whole. The administration does not understand the correlation between winning sports programs Institutional rankings. Perhaps PJ will change the culture that celebrates mediocrity as a success. I was hoping Coyle would Fire Pitino and bring in the next “PJ” for hoops. It could be Beard, Musselman, ?? . This will not happen and we give an extension to Pitino? I heard on Korzo this morning that Pitino quit on Mathew Hurt and that Coffee hates Pitino and will NOT return regardless.

We can raise our expectations all we want but unless the culture changes, our increased expectations will only lead to frustration.

Auburn was top 8 team preseason...did not leap in front of us. Texas Tech leaped in front of a multitude of teams with beard

Auburn was pretty bad when Pearl arrived, averaging 12 wins a season under the preceding HC. He took them from four conference wins his first year to 13 in his fourth year. Auburn won 11 games in the 2015-16 season. So over the course of the past three years, Auburn has absolutely leaped in front of the Gophs.

If TT and Auburn can reach the F4 why can’t Minnesota?? I think Minnesota cannot get out of their own way as a university.

The “loser” culture and low expectations from the Administration and the fans have a cause effect.

If TT and Auburn can reach the F4 why can’t Minnesota?? I think Minnesota cannot get out of their own way as a university.

The “loser” culture and low expectations from the Administration and the fans have a cause effect.
I agree with loser fans. I mean look at you

The truth really hurts when it smacks you in the face “some guy.” ...

Who has low expectations? Keeping Pitino doesn't signify a "loser" culture when they've been to the tournament 2 of the last 3 years.

Minnesota will never hire a coach fresh off a scandal, and who still was under a show-cause penalty like Bruce Pearl. Texas Tech hit the lottery with Beard, much like the Gophers tried to do with Pitino. The jury is still out on Pitino, and he's still 10 years younger than Beard.

Minnesota athletics always celebrates mediocrity. They are a politically correct university who justifies this attitude by claiming to be a “HIGHER” level institution. I can never understand why we cannot become a program that can win that actually has the effect of elevating the reputation of the university as a whole. The administration does not understand the correlation between winning sports programs Institutional rankings. Perhaps PJ will change the culture that celebrates mediocrity as a success. I was hoping Coyle would Fire Pitino and bring in the next “PJ” for hoops. It could be Beard, Musselman, ?? . This will not happen and we give an extension to Pitino? I heard on Korzo this morning that Pitino quit on Mathew Hurt and that Coffee hates Pitino and will NOT return regardless.

We can raise our expectations all we want but unless the culture changes, our increased expectations will only lead to frustration.

Is mediocrity a word you just recently learned? Is it on your new-word-a-day calendar? You really are using that word a lot today.

Who has low expectations? Keeping Pitino doesn't signify a "loser" culture when they've been to the tournament 2 of the last 3 years.

Minnesota will never hire a coach fresh off a scandal, and who still was under a show-cause penalty like Bruce Pearl. Texas Tech hit the lottery with Beard, much like the Gophers tried to do with Pitino. The jury is still out on Pitino, and he's still 10 years younger than Beard.

That's the exact attitude of what's wrong with Gopher culture. Just making the tourney is good enough! It's not even hard to make the tourney nowadays. How about not being a double digit seed? How about aiming for Final Fours? The jury is not out on Pitino. He is a middlin coach.

Bring back Clem!!!

I tried raising my expectations regarding the quality of comments on Gopherhole.

Led to frustration.

JTG

That's the exact attitude of what's wrong with Gopher culture. Just making the tourney is good enough! It's not even hard to make the tourney nowadays. How about not being a double digit seed? How about aiming for Final Fours? The jury is not out on Pitino. He is a middlin coach.

Where did I say it's good enough forever? It's good enough right now, for a program that has rarely made the tournament in my lifetime. If Pitino has another sub .500 B1G season next year, and shows minimal improvement in recruiting, I'll want him fired.

Hard to argue with your logic here. In fact - I see a successful business plan for you. Just go around to universities and teach the them how to raise expectations and "Poof" you have a Final 4. In a few years you should easily be able to have all 347 D1 teams in the Final 4.

Hard to argue with your logic here. In fact - I see a successful business plan for you. Just go around to universities and teach the them how to raise expectations and "Poof" you have a Final 4. In a few years you should easily be able to have all 347 D1 teams in the Final 4.

That might take, like, 87 years or so, assuming millions is all about efficiency. ;)

JTG

Top Bottom