Euphoria turns into heartbreak for Auburn in dramatic Final Four loss

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Euphoria can turn into heartbreak in a matter of moments – Saturday night was proof.

With five minutes remaining, Virginia appeared to have complete control of its semifinal matchup against Auburn. Guard Ty Jerome knocked down his fourth three-pointer of the night and the Cavaliers led by ten points. It was the first of many twists and turns to the finish line. Just a minute later, Jerome went to the bench with his fourth foul. That’s when the entire game changed. Auburn guard Bryce Brown drilled back-to-back three-pointers, fueling an improbable 12-0 run.

The Tigers led by four points with 17 seconds left, but craziness ensued. Virginia guard Kyle Guy drained a three-pointer to cut the lead to one point. Moments later, Guy launched a shot from the corner and the ball clanked off the rim. Emotions erupted throughout the stadium in celebration, but a foul was called on Auburn’s Samir Doughty behind the arc. Doughty crowded the shooter and Guy couldn't land to complete the shot.

Kyle Guy buried his head into his jersey until whistles erupted. After believing they lost, Virginia players collected themselves. Now, Guy had to go to the line for the biggest free throws of his life. The first two hit the bottom of the net and one final swish lifted Virginia to a dramatic 63-62 win.

The rug was pulled out from under Auburn in a matter of seconds. Muffled boos filled the stadium behind elation from Virginia’s fans. In the locker room, every Tigers player was filled with emotion. When Bruce Pearl exited for his post-game press conference, he sat down on a golf cart, took one deep breath and shook his head. It’s all the 27-year college basketball coach could do.

“My advice, as an administrator of the game, is if that's a foul, call it. Call it at the beginning of the game, call it in the middle of the game, call it at the end of the game,” Pearl said after the game. “Don't call it any more or less at any other time during the game. That was the call."

The play erased a 12-game winning streak that catapulted Auburn into its first Final Four. Leading up to the final minutes, each team traded punches the entire night. Kyle Jerome scored 21 points behind tough attacks and sharp shooting. Between Jerome and guards De’Andre Hunter and Kyle Guy, the Cavaliers shot 57 percent in the second half to claim the victory. Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl recognized the incredible individual efforts from several Cavaliers players.

“[The call] won't -- it can't define -- don't let it define the game because then you're taking away from Ty Jerome or you're taking away from Anfernee McLemore with 12 rebounds, or Bryce Brown almost leading Auburn back to an incredible come-from-behind victory,” Pearl said after the game. “I'd love that to be the story.”

For players like guard Bryce Brown, whose back-to-back three-pointers gave Auburn all the momentum late, the ending stings. The entire locker room sat in dismay and tears flowed for a team that made an improbable run to earn a Final Four appearance. At the post-game press conference, Brown was emotional.

“I just didn't think it was a foul, but the refs thought otherwise,” Brown said after the game. “Can't go back and rewind it so…”

It wasn’t the only dramatic moment that occurred in the final seconds. Prior to the last-second foul call, Ty Jerome lost control of the ball, but regained possession. It appeared he may have double dribbled, but the call was not made. Bruce Pearl acknowledged the disruption, but moved along quickly to the next question.

“We were in a situation late where we had some fouls to give, and I knew there was a disruption there,” Pearl said. “You've just got to get on to the next play.”

Virginia shot the ball very well in the second half, which helped them pull ahead in the final minutes. De’Andre Hunter had numerous difficult finishes and his ten second half points helped the Cavaliers stay within striking distance. Guard Ty Jerome also had two key second half three-pointers that ended up becoming winning plays.

“We got up ten, and they made some tough shots, and we had a couple of -- I think we stood a little bit, and we had a couple of tough plays. We played well in the second half, and they played the plays,” Virginia head coach Tony Bennett said after the game. “I do feel for Auburn, but I feel better for us right now, and I'm just thankful these guys stepped up and played the way we needed to and got through. Survive and advance, I guess that's taking on a new meaning.”

Virginia fans won’t soon forget the three free throws by Kyle Guy that sealed a trip to Monday’s National Championship. They were the type of last-second shots every young kid dreams of shooting when they are tossing up shots in the driveway. On Saturday night, the moment finally came in front of millions across the world.

“I didn't want to have anything to do with my teammates or coaches at that time. I just wanted to be in my own space. I knew they had confidence in me -- I just needed to build up my own,” Guy said after the game. “And we all practiced those shots as a kid. They were probably a little bit more spectacular than free throws, but whatever it takes to win.”

Last edited:

The non call on the double dribble was a joke. Virginia escapes again.

Top Bottom