NCAA considering change to graduate-transfer rule, which would make them less desire

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

The proposed change to the graduate-transfer rule would put colleges on the hook for a two-year scholarship commitment, instead of just one season. The program would be docked a scholarship the next year if the grad transfer does not earn his secondary degree within a year.

“I’m not going to finish mine in a year,” the Texas Tech senior guard said. “I don’t know how many graduate degrees you can finish in a year.”

If the rule passes, programs would not be able to fit a grad transfer into their plans as easily as so many do now.

http://www.startribune.com/ncaa-con...ich-would-make-them-less-desirable/508195072/

Go Gophers!!

It's nice that they want to encourage players to graduate but this is dumb. Why not require colleges to give graduate transfers a 2 year scholarship but only count it against the limit when they play? If this passes it will just encourage teams to push grad transfers into the easiest graduate program they can find even if the player has no interest and is just asking for teams to set up fake classes.

With how easy it is getting for regular transfers to get immediate eligibility, undergrad transfers will be more desirable than grad transfers, which means it will be better for athletes to take 5 years to get their undergrad degree so they aren't a grad transfer.

Great idea in isolation but I can only see this screwing over players even more.

I hate this. I have no problem with grad transfers as is, if you earned your degree and have eligibility left, I think you have earned the right to transfer and play right away. stop trying to screw over players. This proposal just another example of the NCAA not caring about the student part.

Now regular transfers on the other hand is what needs to be worked on, they need universal rules for everyone not this random lottery draw where the bigger money schools get more "eligible right away" balls.

Last edited:

I hate this. I have no problem with grad transfers as is, if you earned your degree and have eligibility left, I think you have earned the right to transfer and play right away. stop trying to screw over players. This proposal just another example of the NCAA not caring about the student part.

Now regular transfers on the other hand is what needs to be worked on, they need universal rules for everyone not this random lottery draw where the bigger schools get bigger "eligible right away" balls.

Completely agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NCAA as we know it is corrupt and needs to go away.

+1000

I have been staunchly against paying college athletes, because I believed that it would destroy college basketball, but this has flipped me, completely. The NCAA can’t give the kids even one inch of some kind of control. The NCAA is corrupt and needs to be taken down. If it takes down college basketball in the process so be it.

+1000

I have been staunchly against paying college athletes, because I believed that it would destroy college basketball, but this has flipped me, completely. The NCAA can’t give the kids even one inch of some kind of control. The NCAA is corrupt and needs to be taken down. If it takes down college basketball in the process so be it.
It does feel like a last straw.

Top Bottom