Doogie: Bad news: told that RB Jason Williamson tore his right ACL

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Oh crap. As I said in another thread, this was the year for him to decide if the backfield was where he belongs or on the defensive side. Tough break.

Last edited:

zKoIGDU.gif

Oh crap. As I said in another thread, this was the year for him to decide if the backfield was where he belongs or on the defensive side. Top break.

Never want a guy to get hurt like this but if it was going to happen this is the best year for it to happen since he was unlikely to be counted on this year anyway. He will still be able to be around the program and work on the adjustment to college. Should be ready to go again by next spring.

Never want a guy to get hurt like this but if it was going to happen this is the best year for it to happen since he was unlikely to be counted on this year anyway. He will still be able to be around the program and work on the adjustment to college. Should be ready to go again by next spring.
True but unfortunately he will have to spend more time rehabbing vs just getting game speed and strength. Bummer for him. Probably sets him back a year even with the redshirt accounted for.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Just confirmed with family member. Will have surgery in about a week, and obviously redshirt.

RB ACL injuries - Why and can anything be done to reduce

Just noodling here - means don't have any real knowledge just an interest.

Seems that our RB's have more ACL injuries than, for example, our WR's. Do they wear different shoes/cleats? Do they do different excercises? How are they trained to plant feet and cut?

Turns out there are exercises to reduce ACL issues - from an orthopedic surgeon no less - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c30oM3YqHQ

If our Strength coaches are not experts or believers in this field, they might need a boost or an upgrade.

If our Strength coaches are not experts or believers in this field, they might need a boost or an upgrade.

We already upgraded from a dismal S&C staff to an elite one. Heard it and read about it often a couple years ago. Look elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We already upgraded from a dismal S&C staff to an elite one. Heard it and read about it often a couple years ago. Look elsewhere.

And that was from who was reportedly already the best S&C coach in the country. Two major upgrades from Brewster.

Seems that our RB's have more ACL injuries than, for example, our WR's. Do they wear different shoes/cleats? Do they do different excercises? How are they trained to plant feet and cut?

Turns out there are exercises to reduce ACL issues - from an orthopedic surgeon no less - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c30oM3YqHQ

I dunno if we can blame the S&C staff for a guy getting hurt right after he got on campus. Or ever, really. It happens. It's not as if our trainers can build jacked ligaments in guys. RB is the most injury-prone position on the field.

No one has that old style carpet turf, that used to be in the old dome, anymore. Hadn’t been that way for a while.

Modern turf is the same thing as natural grass now. Probably better.

Also as already noted, you can’t strengthen or stretch tendons and ligaments, like you can muscles. They’re set bands of fibers, that don’t grow or stretch. They just attach things, and can be torn.

If it were possible to prevent ACL tears through exercises or stretches, that would be as commonplace as lifting weights. Every single team would do them. There is no such thing.

The laws of physics (as currently understood) cannot be defeated. It stands to reason increasing friction and torque forces is more likely to exceed the threshold structural strength of ligament than if one were to reduce friction and torque. Anyone that has ever wrestled with eg an oil drain plug understands torque and finally reaching that magic pound foot that snaps the friction hold. Natural grass (and shorter cleats) is less likely to lead to this kind of injury IMHO.

I bet it reduces the chances of an ACL by a few percentage points. It's mostly about DNA and bad luck. Not a whole lot else.

The laws of physics (as currently understood) cannot be defeated. It stands to reason increasing friction and torque forces is more likely to exceed the threshold structural strength of ligament than if one were to reduce friction and torque. Anyone that has ever wrestled with eg an oil drain plug understands torque and finally reaching that magic pound foot that snaps the friction hold. Natural grass (and shorter cleats) is less likely to lead to this kind of injury IMHO.

Modern turf and natural grass are the same friction. Again you’re thinking of the old turf fields. Maybe shorter cleats would’ve helped in this particular case, tough to know for sure.

Data I’ve seen suggests injury rates are higher on artificial turf. Maybe things have changed in the last few years. What’s wrong with grass??

Data I’ve seen suggests injury rates are higher on artificial turf. Maybe things have changed in the last few years. What’s wrong with grass??

When it's in peak form and well taken care of, nothing at all.

Practicing on "grass" now would be practicing on dirt. Schools save a ton of money in maintenance costs, it can be used for more parts of the year, and looks great year round.

When it's in peak form and well taken care of, nothing at all.

Practicing on "grass" now would be practicing on dirt. Schools save a ton of money in maintenance costs, it can be used for more parts of the year, and looks great year round.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25164575

I laughed when I saw this because I very much doubt any school is saving money in the long run. I was just about to suggest you probably buy into the sales reps selling administrators with bogus and hopelessly optimistic financials. Of course, YMMV.

Modern turf and natural grass are the same friction. Again you’re thinking of the old turf fields. Maybe shorter cleats would’ve helped in this particular case, tough to know for sure.

Do you have data to back this up? I've played and coached soccer on both and from my experience even modern artificial turf will grip cleats more than natural grass. The only way to reduce the grip would be shorter cleats, but no one is going to do that because then you lose the quickness advantage.

10 studies and 4 found an increase in ACL injury rate, but all 4 included both old style and new style turf fields.

So pretty much worthless data, unless they separated out the different style turfs.

I very much doubt any school is saving money in the long run.

You're allowed to doubt anything for any arbitrary reason, doesn't mean your doubt is valid.

Explain to me how the Gophers would be practicing right now on natural grass. Or how their indoor practice facility would have natural grass. That isn't a savings per se, but obviously a massive benefit.

I've played and coached soccer on both and from my experience even modern artificial turf will grip cleats more than natural grass.

I'm sure data is available, but I am too lazy to search for it. Would you actually change your mind if I presented data to support my claim? I doubt it. This is the internet, people generally refuse to change their minds.

I'm sure data is available, but I am too lazy to search for it. Would you actually change your mind if I presented data to support my claim? I doubt it. This is the internet, people generally refuse to change their minds.

Yes if it was a scientific study I would probably trust it. Maybe not if it was produced by the National Artificial Turf Makers Association...
But I can tell you I've spent a lot of time on both surfaces and I am fairly confident modern artificial turf has more grip. I can think of many occasions where my cleats have lost grip on grass, but never on turf.

How many additional acl tears it leads to is another question though.

Edit:. A quick Google search found a few studies that show acl tears rate is significantly higher on turf vs grass. I think one even said 67% higher.

Last edited:

The Gophers have to figure out a way to stop or slow this RB injury "epidemic". They do need to deploy new ways to mitigate it by boosting the help. Any form of preventative measures - physical strengthening exercise, stretching or whatever will go a long ways. It is a shame to lose both Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks last season.

Go back to grass and bring back the heating coils.

Top Bottom