Georgia Souther Uni. vs Gophers

I don’t know if GSU fans are aware, but our DB coach was the head coach of Maine for the last 3 seasons. It seems weird to quit an FCS HC job to take a position coaching job, especially after a successful season, but that’s what happened. He’s only 33 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive heard this many times from FBS schools - "We dont want a Head Coach from an FCS school or a coordinator We want some proven coach from an FBS level. The NFL is really bad about this.
Funny how the FBS schools think FCS coaches are inferior . Many times they would rather pick or take a coach from an FBS school and keep trading around the same coaches over and over . He may think if he can work his way up to DC he may get a chance as a head coach at another FBS school or maybe didn't get along with his AD or donating boosters.

An example of a GSU coach, our AD and boosters.

Mike Sewac followed Paul Johnson who had a 86% winning record. The 5 years Johnson was at Southern he was in all 5 playoffs, played for 3 National Championships winning 2

Head Coach Sewac followed Johnson & was at GSU for 4 years. record year one Sewac was 11-3, lost in FCS semi finals, Season 2 went 7-4 did not make playoffs, Season 3 he went 10-3 lost in first round of play offs, season 4 he went 8-4 lost in first round of playoffs. his total record was 35-14 which placed him in the 70%+ winning range. For the GSU boosters and AD this was not good enough and he was fired.

Last edited:

This is why it is relevant! as I said above - " the top 6 FCS teams, if they didn't loss their coaching staff and most of their 1st string players can be dangerous to FBS schools so the Gophers played a tough school in SDSU not some chump FCS school." I did not bring up that NDSU beat the Gophers once.

I'm also saying that GSU is a G5 FBS school with 85 scholarships. Yes we have a lot of rebuilding to do from our 2016-17 teams, but after last week, not playing our 1st string QB we racked up 375 yards rushing. I also said that I am worried about the Gophers passing attack.

You started talking NDSU, used ND, and then went to SD game. you've brought up NDSU before. I'm sure you can see why I thought you were talking about a game in 2011 again.

Sounds like GSU is missing their QB and top RB, I'm expecting 2 score win

I think you over estimate GSU and underestimate MN. I know we're not a powerhouse, we're often over looked and pegged as an upset potential to lower ranked teams, and past 20 non conference games, we're 19-1

According to Sagarin, SDSU is #62 and Maine is #138 and SDSU would be favored over Maine on a neutral field by 19.15 points.

I can see that! Like I said the Gophers played a tough FCS SDSU team and won even though the stats were good for SDSU.

Since history is important, Gophers have never lost to a sunbelt team

But then again the Gophers have not played a Sun Belt member since 2003. The Sun Belt conference has changed a lot since 2003. Only 3 out of the present 10 football members played football under the Sun Belt logo in 2003. Also your youngest football player were just beginning to stop wearing diapers the last time the Gophers played a Sun Belt team.

Here is some more history Georgia Southern has never lost to the Gophers. Also the Gophers have only played one game against a football team from the state of Georgia in the 137 year history of the Gopher football program. And that one game was in a bowl. Do you think it will take another 137 years for the Gophers to scheduled a regular season game against a team from the state of Georgia after getting beat by Georgia Southern this upcoming Saturday.

But then again the Gophers have not played a Sun Belt member since 2003. The Sun Belt conference has changed a lot since 2003. Only 3 out of the present 10 football members played football under the Sun Belt logo in 2003. Also your youngest football player were just beginning to stop wearing diapers the last time the Gophers played a Sun Belt team.

Here is some more history Georgia Southern has never lost to the Gophers. Also the Gophers have only played one game against a football team from the state of Georgia in the 137 year history of the Gopher football program. And that one game was in a bowl. Do you think it will take another 137 years for the Gophers to scheduled a regular season game against a team from the state of Georgia after getting beat by Georgia Southern this upcoming Saturday.

So, I agree MN's record vs Sun Belt has no impact and this weeks game. I only bring it up, because in the 6 months Talon has been posting here, he's on multiple occasions brought up Gophers, shall we say, not so illustrious history post 1960's.

I probably have 2nd most posts in here from a gopher fan (the bulk of these 79 pages is Talon repeating himself) as I find Talon amusing and even welcome his GSU bretheren (although it's been largely a endless circle for 6 months)

I put GSU's chances ~20% of victory, and I might be generous.

We recruit Georgia pretty well, I'd have no issue getting Georgia State on schedule next. Do you have a middle georgia and northern georgia we can get in?

I can see that! Like I said the Gophers played a tough FCS SDSU team and won even though the stats were good for SDSU.

we played pretty poorly vs SDSU. We played better, but still mistake filled vs FSU

If you combined the negatives of our prior 2 games, that's really only way I see GSU winning. It's possible, but unlikely.

BTW...

Someone on your GSU board has been claiming that Rashod Bateman was committed to GSU at one point. I looked on 247, and even Googled it, but I can’t find anything to confirm that. Is this accurate?

BTW...

Someone on your GSU board has been claiming that Rashod Bateman was committed to GSU at one point. I looked on 247, and even Googled it, but I can’t find anything to confirm that. Is this accurate?

I'm embarrassed to admit, I perused the board, I don't know what this guy is talking about

Honestly, I don't think good single receivers are nearly as much of a problem for our defense as when we've got teams frequently sending 4 or 5 eligible guys down field. LSU has basically become a passing team and Maine is about 55-45 in favor of running. Minnesota has a 2:1 ratio of runs to passes. I think our defense and secondary will be a lot more comfortable against what they do offensively.

If Minnesota doesn't get some help from our offense, I'll go ahead and say they won't score as much as at least a few Sun Belt teams we play.

Does he think we only have one good WR?

We have 2 NFL draft picks starting, and our 3rd and 4th WR's would be probably be 2 of the top WR's in the sunbelt

(1) You started talking NDSU, used ND, and then went to SD game. you've brought up NDSU before. I'm sure you can see why I thought you were talking about a game in 2011 again.

(2) Sounds like GSU is missing their QB and top RB, I'm expecting 2 score win

(3) I think you over estimate GSU and underestimate MN. I know we're not a powerhouse, we're often over looked and pegged as an upset potential to lower ranked teams, and past 20 non conference games, we're 19-1

(1) Sorry about the NDSU thing.

(2) I haven't heard anything about the condition about Werts our 1st string QB. As far as running backs go I think we have enough of them to do fine.

(3) The misunderstanding is that I was at GSC when we restarted football under Erk Russell. I have been through GREAT Head Coaches, Staff and players and bad ones. Under the Great Head coaches and teams we always had a chance and believed we had a chance at winning every game no matter the odds. Is our new HC & staff going to be a great? It's really to early to tell.

Last year we made a good comeback after 2 miserable years in GSU's football history. Like I've said before after last year I thought GSU would be further along then they are now from spring and summer reports. We still have a few years to go if this head coach and staff win and are around in 2 years

**( As you are a Gopher fan I would expect you to think you had a chance at every game you played no matter the odds. I as a long time GSC/GSU fan believe the same way. I am not underestimating the Gopher team, but believe we have a chance to win.)*

Last edited:

And this guy

Minnesota has 1 wide receiver who is lights out good, got to contain him, nothing over the top. #4 and #20 need to come to play. Our safeties will need to creep up to support run stoppage so that means #4, #20, do your thing, shut down man on man(live up to the hype).

Why does your squad think we only hvae one good WR?

(1) Sorry about the NDSU thing.

(2) I haven't heard anything about the condition about Werts our 1st string QB. As far as running backs go I think we have enough of them to do fine.

(3) The misunderstanding is that I was at GSC when we restarted football under Erk Russell. I have been through GREAT Head Coaches, Staff and players and bad ones. Under the Great Head coaches and teams we always had a chance and believed we had a chance at winning every game no matter the odds.

Last year we made a good comeback after 2 miserable years in GSU's football history. Like I've said before after last year I thought GSU would be further along then they are now from spring and summer reports. We still have a few years to go if this head coach and staff win and are around in 2 years

**( As you are a Gopher fan I would expect you to think you had a chance at every game you played no matter the odds. I as a long time GSC/GSU fan believe the same way. I am not underestimating the Gopher team, but believe we have a chance to win.)*

I agree you have a chance, I think it's a slim chance, but a chance. I've repeated that over and over.

If you've done anything, you've got few gopher fans occasionally checking out GSU, as the option offense is more or less dead, I look forward to seeing it live at the bank

And this guy

Minnesota has 1 wide receiver who is lights out good, got to contain him, nothing over the top. #4 and #20 need to come to play. Our safeties will need to creep up to support run stoppage so that means #4, #20, do your thing, shut down man on man(live up to the hype).

Why does your squad think we only hvae one good WR?

Which of our lights out good receivers are they talking about

I'm embarrassed to admit, I perused the board, I don't know what this guy is talking about

Honestly, I don't think good single receivers are nearly as much of a problem for our defense as when we've got teams frequently sending 4 or 5 eligible guys down field. LSU has basically become a passing team and Maine is about 55-45 in favor of running. Minnesota has a 2:1 ratio of runs to passes. I think our defense and secondary will be a lot more comfortable against what they do offensively.

If Minnesota doesn't get some help from our offense, I'll go ahead and say they won't score as much as at least a few Sun Belt teams we play.

Does he think we only have one good WR?

We have 2 NFL draft picks starting, and our 3rd and 4th WR's would be probably be 2 of the top WR's in the sunbelt

Multiple people on that board have said we only have one good receiver, and they’re not referring to Johnson, despite the school records he put up last season. Besides the two you’re referring to, I wouldn’t put it past CAB to be a borderline NFL prospect by the time he’s a Senior.

I agree you have a chance, I think it's a slim chance, but a chance. I've repeated that over and over.

If you've done anything, you've got few gopher fans occasionally checking out GSU, as the option offense is more or less dead, I look forward to seeing it live at the bank

ARMY and NAVY are doing fine with it. Just because many teams dont use the triple option anymore doesn't mean its not potent. Like I've said before with any offense you have to have the HC, staff and players to run any offense! I will say I prefer the Flex option over the Shotgun Option - thats just me!

Multiple people on that board have said we only have one good receiver, and they’re not referring to Johnson, despite the school records he put up last season. Besides the two you’re referring to, I wouldn’t put it past CAB to be a borderline NFL prospect by the time he’s a Senior.

From reading this board I have heard you have 2 REALLY good receivers!

Why do some GSU fans only focus on one of your receivers, because they arn't on this board and looking up their stats!

Last edited:

We recruit Georgia pretty well, I'd have no issue getting Georgia State on schedule next. Do you have a middle georgia and northern georgia we can get in?
Georgia and GaTech are the only other FBS teams in Georgia. There are 2 FCS teams in the state, Mercer located in Macon which is in the middle of the state and Kennesaw State located in the metro Atlanta area. Both have only added football teams in the past few years. Just an fyi, Auburn is located only about 30 miles from the Georgia line and is only a hour and a half drive from the Atlanta Airport.

From reading this board I have heard you have 2 REALLY good receivers!

Why do some GSU fans only focus on one of your receivers, because they arn't on this board and looking up their stats!

They’re looking up the stats from the last two games, but forgetting about last year’s stats.

The one they don’t talk about....

Tyler Johnson 2018: 78 catches, 1169 yards (school record), 12 TDs (school record) He’s projected as a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick, depending on who you ask.

Bateman could be even better, but since he’s only a Sophomore, we’ll have to wait and see.

Here’s our #3 receiver making the play of the game the other night, when #1 & #2 were being double covered by Fresno. He’s also only a Sophomore.

https://twitter.com/gopherfootball/status/1170740715044970496?s=21

Most GS fans feel that the Eagles 2 CB's can cover any receiver placed in front of them. Over the last 2 years they do a very good job covering the longer pass on their side of the field. Most teams have only had success passing the ball to the outside within 4-5 yards of the line of scrimmage in front of these 2 CB's. Now the pass across the middle against the LB's and safety's is a different story. Also teams have had success passing deep across the middle covered by the safety's.
I do not expect to see big receiving numbers by receivers that have to go up against GS's two corners all game long. Gopher receivers going up against GS's LBs and Safeties is a different story. I am sure that your coaching staff is well aware of this and will game plan accordingly.

The Johnny's and Joe's are no longer an issue with Minnesota. There is as much talent on roster now as most teams in the B1G. They have barely played more than 2 quarters of good football in each of the first 2 games. GSU is going to be in for a world of hurt if they see 3 or possibly (gulp) more quarters of major mistake free football. IF the Gophers can start to gel in the trenches without continuously shooting themselves in the foot this game is going to be ugly.

ARMY and NAVY are doing fine with it. Just because many teams dont use the triple option anymore doesn't mean its not potent. Like I've said before with any offense you have to have the HC, staff and players to run any offense! I will say I prefer the Flex option over the Shotgun Option - thats just me!

Army/Navy are forced into due to BMI requirements and needing smaller O lineman, they can't trot out 350 Lineman

I'd argue the option offense is effectively dead in modern FBS football.

With Paul Johnson retiring from GT, I don't think we'll see another P5 school run it

Most GS fans feel that the Eagles 2 CB's can cover any receiver placed in front of them. Over the last 2 years they do a very good job covering the longer pass on their side of the field. Most teams have only had success passing the ball to the outside within 4-5 yards of the line of scrimmage in front of these 2 CB's. Now the pass across the middle against the LB's and safety's is a different story. Also teams have had success passing deep across the middle covered by the safety's.
I do not expect to see big receiving numbers by receivers that have to go up against GS's two corners all game long. Gopher receivers going up against GS's LBs and Safeties is a different story. I am sure that your coaching staff is well aware of this and will game plan accordingly.

I'll take one on one match up vs our top 2 WR's all day.

My early criticism of offensive coaching staff is not utilizing that mismatch enough

How is the play that started at about 2:04 not targeting on LSU?
I'm not looking at what you are seeing but if it was their DE he should have been tossed for targetting twice in that game but wasnt flagged once. Both players he hit couldn't finish the game and one of them is our QB who is still hurt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Most of our fans are aware you have multiple good receivers. We also know we have two NFL corners. Like has been stated you won't gain much through the air down the sideline but I do expect some significant gains down the middle of the field. We will see.

So, if I want to learn a bit about Georgia Southern, should I start at Post #1 in this thread and keep reading?! If so, what will I learn?

Go Gophers!!

I put these 3 games up on the first page during the first 2 years and only 2 years HC Fritz was at GSU. If you watch them you can see how the Shotgun Option is supposed to work. Sadly GSU is not at that level yet.

GSU vs Georgia Tech last 3min under a new HC Fritz using the Pistol Option
GSU vs GT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGCcYrPSNWA

NC State last 3min under HC Fritz using the Pistol Option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chaDvK8XM1E

2nd year running the Pistol Option under HC Fritz
UGA overtime 6min video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jng0ZOPUeHY

Last edited:

I'll take one on one match up vs our top 2 WR's all day.

My early criticism of offensive coaching staff is not utilizing that mismatch enough

ToastyGS- Most of our fans are aware you have multiple good receivers. We also know we have two NFL corners. Like has been stated you won't gain much through the air down the sideline but I do expect some significant gains down the middle of the field. We will see.

TALON-GSU will be fine on the outside.

Last edited:

Most of our fans are aware you have multiple good receivers. We also know we have two NFL corners. Like has been stated you won't gain much through the air down the sideline but I do expect some significant gains down the middle of the field. We will see.

I’m sure the coaching staff will attack the weak link,and we run a lot of slants anyway, but it’s not as though these receivers haven’t had success against good corners before.

I’m sure the coaching staff will attack the weak link,and we run a lot of slants anyway, but it’s not as though these receivers haven’t had success against good corners before.

For sure, believe me we've talked ad nauseam that the key to stopping your offense (after slowing down the run game) will be making sure we limit YAC on underneath routes.

For sure, believe me we've talked ad nauseam that the key to stopping your offense (after slowing down the run game) will be making sure we limit YAC on underneath routes.

Pick your poison. Gophs will pound the rock until you put 8-9 in the box and then hit either Johnson on a crossing route which he routinely adds 10-20 YAC, or Bateman downfield.

Top Bottom