Georgia Souther Uni. vs Gophers

You may have read this already. 2019 Gopher season overview including GSU.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2019...-football-breaking-down-gophers-2019-schedule

Part of GSU preview -

"The bad news: Yes, the Gopher defense fared well against the Georgia Tech triple-option offense in the Quick Lane Bowl, but it is important to remember that the Eagles run a different version of the option offense. Georgia Southern head coach Chad Lunsford and offensive coordinator Bob DeBesse have put their own unique stamp on the traditional under center option offense, frequently operating out of shotgun and pistol formations. It’s tough to argue with the results, as the Eagles were a Top 10 rushing offense last season, averaging 266.2 yards per game."

I will say that 266 rushing yards per game is very low for a GSU team.

Maybe I'm missing the strategy thing here but is operating out of the shotgun or other formation really that big a twist on the triple option?

Well, duh. Have you ever been to Lincoln? What else is there to do on a Saturday afternoon?

Well duh, yes I have & yes its the only game in town. Still to fill their stadium for a scrimmage game is impressive to me.

Last edited:

Ah, so the translation is that unlike GT.... GS actually will try to pass a reasonable amount then? That would be different.

I dont know about reasonable amount of times. Like 9-12 passes a game.

I think the main idea is to raise the Option QB's completion rate and yards per catch to make the passing game a threat that the defense has to be mindful of.

Hay you gophers will like this.

The Massey predictor gives the Gophers a 31 - 17 win over GSU.

Of course we are still many months away from the game and the predicted score is based mostly on last years stats.

We will see what Massey and other predictors will say a week before the game.

Hay you gophers will like this.

The Massey predictor gives the Gophers a 31 - 17 win over GSU.
Of course we are still many months away from the game and the predicted score is based mostly on last years stats.
We will see what Massey and other predictors will say a week before the game.

Of course there is this. Seems you're in a little bit of a rebound state also.

https://main.gopherhole.com/footballhistory

Last edited:

I dont know about reasonable amount of times. Like 9-12 passes a game.

I think the main idea is to raise the Option QB's completion rate and yards per catch to make the passing game a threat that the defense has to be mindful of.

Ah, Woody Hayes style. Run, run, run. Lull the opponent to sleep. Go over the top with a pass.

Ah, Woody Hayes style. Run, run, run. Lull the opponent to sleep. Go over the top with a pass.

I'll have to see it really happen. Last year we averaged 75 yards a game passing. We did as well or better under the flex option. Then again we averaged 380 yards rushing per game using the Flex Option & put a lot more points on the board.

I'll have to see it really happen. Last year we averaged 75 yards a game passing. We did as well or better under the flex option. Then again we averaged 380 yards rushing per game using the Flex Option & put a lot more points on the board.

The zone read/ run-pass option has some similarities. Both are option offenses at heart. Just in our version, we pass more. Both defenses will have to play with discipline.

There should be a friendly wager between the two programs.

A fine bag of locally grown Statesboro pecans from the Eagles versus a big sack of Minnesota's finest Red River Valley sugar beets for the Gophers...

On second thought maybe not...

How about this wager

10 lbs. of prime gopher meat from Minnesota - the other grey meat.
OR
10 lbs. of Georgia armadillo.

You can cook the Dillo several ways.

After you remove the limbs, tail & head you slow smoke it or cook it on the grill with the shell on.

After you take it off the grill leave it in the shell. Take a large spoon, scoop and serve on fine china.

You can boil it like lobster but it looses that fine smoky flavor!

Friend TALON ;-)

'P.J.' Fleck 2018 7-6 , 2017 5-7

Tracy Claeys 2016 9-4 2015, 2-4

QUESTION - Did Head Coach Claeys leave or was he released. Seemed like he made great progress from2015 - 2016

'P.J.' Fleck 2018 7-6 , 2017 5-7

Tracy Claeys 2016 9-4 2015, 2-4

QUESTION - Did Head Coach Claeys leave or was he released. Seemed like he made great progress from2015 - 2016

Oh boy....here we go.

This threads going off the rails in 3...2...1!!!

Sorry Gopher fans and mods.

I placed a question about your last Head Coach under 2 different threads because the GSU vs Gopher thread, that I posted a while back, has run out of steam. I didn't know if I would get an answer on that thread.

Please feel free to take down the post about your last Head Coach. STP answered the question on the other GSU thread.

Last edited:

Sorry if a question about Claeys is a sour one with Gopher fans.

it's a divisive issue

There are plenty of gopher fans who don't like Fleck and Claeys ending was fairly controversial. It's a topic discussed here a lot

Claeys sister still rags on the gophers online

it's a divisive issue

There are plenty of gopher fans who don't like Fleck and Claeys ending was fairly controversial. It's a topic discussed here a lot

Claeys sister still rags on the gophers online

Thanks salzie,

STP filled me in on that in the other GSU thread. I wont bring it up anymore.

Thanks salzie,

STP filled me in on that in the other GSU thread. I wont bring it up anymore.

Not your fault. You didn't really know how it went down. It was kind of a messy situation that seemed to be predetermined. I was in the crowd that was upset with Claeys being let go after how he was able to pull a cracked and depleted team together to beat a WSU team that was HEAVILY favored in the Holiday Bowl. We were given little chance (I think a 14 point underdog) and there was little optimism here on the board. And seeing as how most of the suspensions were to the defensive side of the ball....it was the defense the shined....holding them to their lowest point total of the year (12). And it was their offense that was the scary part of their team....often putting up 35-50 points per game. I'm just glad that after we let him go....Leach (at WSU) snatched him up....recognizing how good of a coach he really is.

And after the dust settled....I'm happy with PJ Fleck. I'm not sure that Claeys would have been cut out for the HC position. He doesn't seem like the kind of character that could attract high end talent to our school. More of a reserved character. Great coordinator....but not the face of a power five program.

Not your fault. You didn't really know how it went down. It was kind of a messy situation that seemed to be predetermined. I was in the crowd that was upset with Claeys being let go after how he was able to pull a cracked and depleted team together to beat a WSU team that was HEAVILY favored in the Holiday Bowl. We were given little chance (I think a 14 point underdog) and there was little optimism here on the board. And seeing as how most of the suspensions were to the defensive side of the ball....it was the defense the shined....holding them to their lowest point total of the year (12). And it was their offense that was the scary part of their team....often putting up 35-50 points per game. I'm just glad that after we let him go....Leach (at WSU) snatched him up....recognizing how good of a coach he really is.

And after the dust settled....I'm happy with PJ Fleck. I'm not sure that Claeys would have been cut out for the HC position. He doesn't seem like the kind of character that could attract high end talent to our school. More of a reserved character. Great coordinator....but not the face of a power five program.

Thanks for your honest input. It has happened to GSU before under our AD.

Like I said, I will not ask about your former coach to bring up controversy to get the Gopher fans stirred up and make me the bad guy!

Party ON Stocker

GSUsTALON

I think it's great that we will, in the fullness of time, coax a wildly meandering 75+ page mega-thread from a late September guarantee game with a school the Gophers have never once played.

Cheers, internet.

I think it's great that we will, in the fullness of time, coax a wildly meandering 75+ page mega-thread from a late September guarantee game with a school the Gophers have never once played.
Cheers, internet.

FM- "from a late September guarantee game with a school the Gophers have never once played."

Sadly FM if your AD scheduled GSU as a guarantee game you may be upset with him after the game & because you never played GSU, well thats what makes it interesting.

Well after the spring game, I'm pretty sure we'll be a 20 point favorite no matter what color uni's South Georgia shows up in.

Well after the spring game, I'm pretty sure we'll be a 20 point favorite no matter what color uni's South Georgia shows up in.

The problem with you watching your own spring game is that your watching your defense playing against your offense and both have a grasp of how each other play. The coaches that are responsible for grading out the players in there different areas have a good idea on what works and what they have to work on. It's a little different when you go up against players from another team and their coaching staff.

Party on Spar

Friend TALON

qbXfLGo.gif

Maybe we can play Georgia State in a 2 for 1, since that is great recruiting ground for the U of M. Plus flying into Atlanta for a game is easy and they now play in the former Atlanta Braves/ Olympic Stadium.

Regarding this game-

All I know about GA So. is that they moved up a level and run the ball out a f three back set (but apparently not just like GA Tech did or Navy does.) I am looking forward more to the SDSU Jackrabbit game.

Maybe we can play Georgia State in a 2 for 1, since that is great recruiting ground for the U of M. Plus flying into Atlanta for a game is easy and they now play in the former Atlanta Braves/ Olympic Stadium.

Regarding this game-

All I know about GA So. is that they moved up a level and run the ball out a f three back set (but apparently not just like GA Tech did or Navy does.) I am looking forward more to the SDSU Jackrabbit game.

Ga. State sucks. They play in a bigger stadium but cant fill it. Their student really dont care.

If you look at the first post I put up GSU will be running the Pistol Option brought to GSU by HC Fritz.

Our last year in FCS under HC Monken vs U or Florida using the Spread Triple Option 8min video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylndMpwBg5k

GSU vs Georgia Tech last 3min under a new HC Fritz using the Pistol Option
GSU vs GThttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGCcYrPSNWA

NC State last 3min under HC Fritz using the Pistol youtube]chaDvK8XM1E

2nd year running the Pistol Option under HC Fritz
UGA overtime 6min video

Last edited:

Top Bottom