Georgia Souther Uni. vs Gophers

Army/Navy are forced into due to BMI requirements and needing smaller O lineman, they can't trot out 350 Lineman

I'd argue the option offense is effectively dead in modern FBS football.

With Paul Johnson retiring from GT, I don't think we'll see another P5 school run it

This maybe true but smaller offensive linemen using cut blocking, if they are athletic & quick can take out large defensive linemen. Using the Flex or Spread Triple option, with a quick & fast QB and a great fullback makes it hard to stop. If the QB decides to keep the ball and come down the LOS it happens very quickly and he still has the pitch option. Also remember that a triple option team only uses the true triple option about 20 - 25% of the time. The rest of the ground game starts out looking as starting off with the triple option.

As far as GT goes MANY of there losses came on the back of their defense.

When Paul Johnson was under Erk Russell we had a run and shoot package and a QB in Tracy ham that could pass. I know those types of QBs are hard to find for a triple option team.

I ask you to look at this short 3 min video when GSCs Flex Option was shut down in our first National Championship in 1985. We ran our run & shoot package.

START AT 3 min 50 sec. This is how the Flex or Spread Triple Option passing attack should look. The triple option is the most effective running game you can have. If you have a QB that can also master the run & shoot or any passing game where he can hit 55-60% of his passes than you really have an offense that is hard to stop. I think Tracy Ham had about 400 yards passing in the 2nd half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUhrp2Gjnv4

Last edited:

A
They’re looking up the stats from the last two games, but forgetting about last year’s stats.

The one they don’t talk about....

Tyler Johnson 2018: 78 catches, 1169 yards (school record), 12 TDs (school record) He’s projected as a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick, depending on who you ask.

Bateman could be even better, but since he’s only a Sophomore, we’ll have to wait and see.

Here’s our #3 receiver making the play of the game the other night, when #1 & #2 were being double covered by Fresno. He’s also only a Sophomore.

https://twitter.com/gopherfootball/status/1170740715044970496?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the comment that said that Bateman was the lights out WR.

I wanted to comment that our other WR is ranked as the #15 college football player in the entire country by PFF who all has him as a first round pick.

I’m sure the coaching staff will attack the weak link,and we run a lot of slants anyway, but it’s not as though these receivers haven’t had success against good corners before.

Thats why I'm thinking we will be using a strong nickel back often!

For sure, believe me we've talked ad nauseam that the key to stopping your offense (after slowing down the run game) will be making sure we limit YAC on underneath routes.[/QUOTE

Pick your poison. Gophs will pound the rock until you put 8-9 in the box and then hit either Johnson on a crossing route which he routinely adds 10-20 YAC, or Bateman downfield.

TALON-You wont see GSU put an 8 man box in. If you want to pond it then so does GSU. We will just have to see which ground game is better.

A

I saw the comment that said that Bateman was the lights out WR.

I wanted to comment that our other WR is ranked as the #15 college football player in the entire country by PFF who all has him as a first round pick.

And so you should educate the GSU fans!

Last edited:

I love TJ6, but PFF is almost as off-base as the posters who think we only have 1 great WR.

I love TJ6, but PFF is almost as off-base as the posters who think we only have 1 great WR.

Maybe but they do grade every single player on every single play. They actually watch and dissect the game film as opposed to just looking at guys numbers, looking at a highlight tape and looking at a guys jersey. PFF, unlike almost all other types of rankings and lists, doesn't rank guys based on perception.

And I should mention that the list was the top 50 returning players as it was done during the offseason so not based on what has happened the first two weeks. If you factor in the first two weeks then I agree, it's a little bit harder to put TJ that high up. But if you only count last year then I don't think it's hard to believe they were that far off considering Tyler was 4th in the country among returning P5 WR's in receiving yards behind Jeudy, Rondale Moore and Okie State's Ty Wallace and tied for second among returning P5 WR's in TD catches behind only Jeudy.

Last edited:

Pick your poison. Gophs will pound the rock until you put 8-9 in the box and then hit either Johnson on a crossing route which he routinely adds 10-20 YAC, or Bateman downfield.
Similar to our gameplan.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Here’s exactly what GSU HC said about Werts yesterday. I doubt he’ll play.

https://twitter.com/mcclainbaxley/status/1171417244976463877?s=21

First of all, I’m no triple option guru, but Werts looks like the better QB in the highlights. Tomlin is significantly faster, but Werts looks better with the deception aspects of the option game. It’s a lot easier to follow where the ball is going with Tomlin. Werts also appears to be a more effective passer. Maybe there’s more to the story, but those are my impressions from the limited amount of video available.

Last edited:

Here’s exactly what GSU HC said about Werts yesterday. I doubt he’ll play.

https://twitter.com/mcclainbaxley/status/1171417244976463877?s=21

First of all, I’m no triple option guru, but Werts looks like the better QB in the highlights. Tomlin is significantly faster, but Werts looks to better with the deception aspects of the option game. It’s a lot easier to follow where the ball is going with Tomlin. Werts also appears to be a more effective passer. Maybe there’s more to the story, but those are my impressions from the limited amount of video available.

I'll agree but our 2nd QB dosn't look bad!

I'll agree but our 2nd QB dosn't look bad!

He wasn’t bad against the 138th best team in the country, other than typical freshman mistakes.

How confident are you in his ability to be a legit passing threat against good competition?

I'm super excited that this thread is going to end on Saturday.

I've been a little bothered by the fact that our board was trolled for like 4 straight months and we took the bait the entire time.

Can't wait to see the backups for the first time this week. Would be great to see the second team get a few reps.

He wasn’t bad against the 138th best team in the country, other than typical freshman mistakes.

How confident are you in his ability to be a legit passing threat against good competition?

Not much!

I guess we will find out in a few weeks... but man I hope Werts isnt out THAT long.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've been a little bothered by the fact that our board was trolled for like 4 straight months and we took the bait the entire time.

Can't wait to see the backups for the first time this week. Would be great to see the second team get a few reps.

It's not been trolled for 4 months its that you're upset that you had nothing of importance to say this whole time!

Last edited:

Maybe but they do grade every single player on every single play. They actually watch and dissect the game film as opposed to just looking at guys numbers, looking at a highlight tape and looking at a guys jersey. PFF, unlike almost all other types of rankings and lists, doesn't rank guys based on perception.

And I should mention that the list was the top 50 returning players as it was done during the offseason so not based on what has happened the first two weeks. If you factor in the first two weeks then I agree, it's a little bit harder to put TJ that high up. But if you only count last year then I don't think it's hard to believe they were that far off considering Tyler was 4th in the country among returning P5 WR's in receiving yards behind Jeudy, Rondale Moore and Okie State's Ty Wallace and tied for second among returning P5 WR's in TD catches behind only Jeudy.

That’s all well and good, and I’m not here to bash TJ6 - who I think is AWESOME - but no matter how you grade, look, etc. he is not a first round draft pick - much less top 15. He may end up being an NFL superstar, but 1st rounders have more speed and less drops.

That’s all well and good, and I’m not here to bash TJ6 - who I think is AWESOME - but no matter how you grade, look, etc. he is not a first round draft pick - much less top 15. He may end up being an NFL superstar, but 1st rounders have more speed and less drops.

He could do it without the speed but the drops are killing his stock...

Fleck said GT runs a “veer option” and GSU runs a “zone option.” Any GSU fans want to take a stab at the differences?

Fleck said GT runs a “veer option” and GSU runs a “zone option.” Any GSU fans want to take a stab at the differences?

The key difference between the veer and the zone read is that in the veer scheme, the dive back and the quarterback are both attacking the same side of the field. In the traditional veer scheme, the offensive line does not block the first man on or outside the play side tackle. This becomes the option key.

http://www.totalamericanfootball.com/differentiating-the-read-option-from-the-veer-scheme/

Veer Option
http://www.flexbonenation.com/blog/2015/1/21/inside-veer-rules

"The Veer option is generally regarded as a "triple option". It is designed as a four-back attack with one player taking a dive course, one taking a pitch course and another being a lead blocker on the perimeter of the offensive formation. The QB makes reads on defensive players and then distributes the ball according to the defensive reaction to the offense. A typical play proceeds as follows (we will assume that this is an "inside veer" going to the right side out of the split-back formation): the quarterback takes the snap. He then does what is called "opening up": the quarterback goes from his two point stance, facing forward, and takes (in this situation) his opposite side, left foot and pivots ninety degrees on his right foot, extending the ball toward the sideline he is facing. The split-back halfback on the right side, who in this situation is the "dive back", goes forward into the line to where the quarterback is and meets in an area called the "mesh point". This is where the idea of the Veer begins to take shape: the offensive line has left one man unblocked here, most likely a defensive tackle (although it can be a linebacker)."

from - https://flexboneoffense.blogspot.com/2013/05/veer-concept.html if you want to read more

Way more than you need to know about the Flex Option plays but it is diagramed nicely. Click Dr x on site if interested.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/flexbone-offense-playbook-online.3049/

HC Fritz Shotgun Option - Zone READ option

https://rileykolstefootball.com/2018/02/18/willie-fritzs-georgia-southern-run-game/

Last edited:

The key difference between the veer and the zone read is that in the veer scheme, the dive back and the quarterback are both attacking the same side of the field. In the traditional veer scheme, the offensive line does not block the first man on or outside the play side tackle. This becomes the option key.

http://www.totalamericanfootball.com/differentiating-the-read-option-from-the-veer-scheme/

VERY GOOD. With the full back counter the QB hands off or keeps but the QB runs to the opposite side of the FB handoff with his pitch man.

Sorry to disagree, but our board was not trolled, it was GSUsTallowed.

And maybe I am in the minority, but I will miss the irrational exuberance expressed through near-random capitalization.

From the GSU board

Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN
It doesn’t count when you account for 800 of the 1200 posts.

Originally Posted by wonmoretime
It’s just stupid. Why do they need to be informed about us? Besides the usual band of idiots has been informing them for months already.
I'm just informing them about GSUs past and present which they knew nothing about. Many of the my 800 replies I posted were to the Gopher fans asking me questions about GSU out of the 1223 posts and 74,500 views.

TALON
Many of the Gophers thought we ran the Flex option that GT ran vs our Shotgun Option. I gave them the difference between the 2.

Most of the Gopher fans are great fans and want to know about GSU and our option attack and how GSU will defend their 2 wideouts.

I have heard from some great fans over there. If you dont want to meat other fans than dont go to our opponents boards, thats fine. Just be reclusive
stay on this board and hear the same thing repeated again & again. I wish I could go to the game and meet them

QUESTION

I know I have been on this board to long, but I like the Gopher Posters. Am I wrong about meeting new fans and learning about their history and how they feel about the upcoming game?

TALON

Last edited:

HAVE I BEEN THAT BAD TO THE GOPHERS?

If so I'm sorry!

^

It’s fine. Don’t worry about it.

HAVE I BEEN THAT BAD TO THE GOPHERS?

If so I'm sorry!

Good lord, I hope you are joking. In a long-ago thread, one of your fellow GSU fans said, “Talon is Talon.” I was looking forward to your contribution and have not been disappointed.

And this is a well-moderated board, if you were a problem, you would be banned.

I look forward to your gracious acknowledgment of the Gophers being simply the better, more talented team come Saturday evening.

Then enjoy the rest of the season!

Last edited:

Like I said, if I had the money I'd love to come to the Gopher vs GSU game and meet the Gopher Hole fans at their tailgates or go to dinner with them after the game. I just have to wonder why GSU fans dont want to meet great fans from other boards like we did in FCS?

Top Bottom