Georgia Souther Uni. vs Gophers

I’ll root for GSU over LSU, but let’s be honest. Your squad is gonna get rolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meh we will see. LSU may get more than they bargained for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

When GSU use the Spread Triple Option sometimes GSU would run into the wishbone formation, using the slot backs & a delayed count, to draw the defense off sides? Sometimes we would run the Triple option from the wishbone instead of trying to draw the defense offsides.

Maybe GSU could achieve the same thing with the 5 wide outs and putting a receiver in motion. I doubt GSU would actually run the 5 wide often as an actual play.

PJ did do a 3 receiver stack to one side and it did work. Many times the stack 3 used 1 or maybe 2 receivers in crossing roughs where 1 or 2 of the receivers were blockers. It all depends on what defense GSU is playing.

Last edited:

Since all you want to talk about are games from 5+ years ago, I thought I’d share this informative review of GSU (from last season) from Fishhead on the LSU board.

———

re: GSUs 2nd scrimmage. Have been practising with 5 wide on offense
Posted by Fishhead online on 8/18/19 at 9:14 pm to GSUsTALON

You seem very defensive, but that's OK.

You're correct that most think y'all still run triple option. I've watched a couple games from last season (GSU games) and it is strictly shotgun with RPO and triple option from what I can tell. I saw mostly 3 wideout sets. Werts seems like a decent runner, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn past about 15 yards.

I hope we play disciplined with the option and RPO, and more than anything, I hope we force him to pass the ball. If we do, our defense will outscore your offense. And y'alls OL was swiss cheese in the games I saw. Probably because there were still players from the triple offense style, so maybe your recruiting has changed to actually getting guys more suited to OL. It shouldn't matter though. You'll be severely outsized and I suspect Aranda has done a little homework.

Looking forward to the game!

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant...ising-with-5-wide-on-offense/84878246/page-3/

Since all you want to talk about are games from 5+ years ago, I thought I’d share this informative review of GSU (from last season) from Fishhead on the LSU board.

———

You're correct that most think y'all still run triple option. I've watched a couple games from last season (GSU games) and it is strictly shotgun with RPO and triple option from what I can tell. I saw mostly 3 wideout sets. Werts seems like a decent runner, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn past about 15 yards.

I hope we play disciplined with the option and RPO, and more than anything, I hope we force him to pass the ball. If we do, our defense will outscore your offense. And y'alls OL was swiss cheese in the games I saw. Probably because there were still players from the triple offense style, so maybe your recruiting has changed to actually getting guys more suited to OL. It shouldn't matter though. You'll be severely outsized and I suspect Aranda has done a little homework.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant...ising-with-5-wide-on-offense/84878246/page-3/

We have you right where we want you :)

———

You're right that GSU is a run first team. As far as 5 wide I doubt you'll se it much during the season. I still think you'll see a better passing team this year as in 140 yards, also think GSU can rreach 350 yards rushing per game.

You're OK Pitino!

TALON:cool:

Last edited:

You're right that GSU is a run first team. As far as 5 wide I doubt you'll se it much during the season. I still think you'll se a better passing team this year as in 140 yards, also think GSU can rreach 350 yards rushing per game.

You're OK Pitino!

TALON:cool:

I was actually more interested in the part about Werts not being able to hit the side of a barn and the Swiss cheese O-line.

Was this going to be your backup QB? Having to retire already in his Freshman season is really a bummer. It was probably the right call, though. I only see two QBs on the roster now. That’s a little scary.

https://twitter.com/jaudonsportssmn/status/1163612386617696258?s=21

Last edited:

Werts, Tomlin, Frazier, and Hood (currently listed at slot). Definitely had some attrition there this off season.

JD King was just ruled eligible so the RB position just got a lot deeper.

As for Werts, he had a top 25 QBR and a 159 passer rating last season. Doubt him all you want.

Werts, Tomlin, Frazier, and Hood (currently listed at slot). Definitely had some attrition there this off season.

JD King was just ruled eligible so the RB position just got a lot deeper.

As for Werts, he had a top 25 QBR and a 159 passer rating last season. Doubt him all you want.

OK, I didn’t see Frazier on the depth chart, but I looked him up on 247.

They’re gonna want to keep Werts healthy, I think.

I also looked up JD King. It doesn’t look like he did anything special at Oklahoma St. Is he supposed to be good? I noticed he had an offer from the Gophers out of high school.

OK, I didn’t see Frazier on the depth chart, but I looked him up on 247.

They’re gonna want to keep Werts healthy, I think.

I also looked up JD King. It doesn’t look like he did anything special at Oklahoma St. Is he supposed to be good? I noticed he had an offer from the Gophers out of high school.

Yes, we are going to want to keep our starting QB healthy... his backups are still learning.

JD King will make a difference but our backfield was pretty good already

Yes, we are going to want to keep our starting QB healthy... his backups are still learning.

JD King will make a difference but our backfield was pretty good already

I’m not doubting that they are, but I see King’s average to below average numbers at Oklahoma St, and projections that he’ll start at GSU, and wonder what I’m missing. It will mostly come down to O-line play anyway.

I’m not doubting that they are, but I see King’s average to below average numbers at Oklahoma St, and projections that he’ll start at GSU, and wonder what I’m missing. It will mostly come down to O-line play anyway.

For sure, without decent blocking we are screwed. He had a pretty decent year as a true FR at OkSt. but was used primarily as a backup. In the one game their starter sat out he had 171 all-purpose yards against West Virginia. He started his Sophomore year with a nagging injury and didn't get much playing time. Then his dad I think fell really ill (like hospitalized) and that's why he relocated to GA.

We can beat you guys without him ;) but it does help our RB depth when you've got 4 or 5 guys who will see the field during the course of a game.

I was actually more interested in the part about Werts not being able to hit the side of a barn and the Swiss cheese O-line.

Was this going to be your backup QB? Having to retire already in his Freshman season is really a bummer. It was probably the right call, though. I only see two QBs on the roster now. That’s a little scary.

https://twitter.com/jaudonsportssmn/status/1163612386617696258?s=21

QB Werts 2018 Highlight Video 6 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfPITP5Zslo

I think Werts will be fine as long as the O line has progressed the way reports have come in!

What you don't see in Worts highlight video above is the hand off or pitches to the other backs or passing to other backs that weren't TDs.

For the 2018 comeback year we as an option team had a low rushing & passing average even though we scored 30ppg.

For sure, without decent blocking we are screwed.

p.
In the one game their starter sat out he had 171 all-purpose yards against West Virginia. He started his Sophomore year with a nagging injury and didn't get much playing time. Then his dad I think fell really ill (like hospitalized) and that's why he relocated to GA.

We can beat you guys without him ;) but it does help our RB depth when you've got 4 or 5 guys who will see the field during the course of a game.

PitinoFan

TALON - You still have to watch King's game films to see how he runs and his potential. He tends to be more like a fullback than our other backs. King can take a hit and still gain yard.

As Toasty said - "He had a pretty decent year as a true FR at OkSt,. but was used primarily as a backup"!

What you don't see in Worts highlight video above is the hand off or pitches to the other backs or passing to other backs that weren't TDs.

For the 2018 comeback year we as an option team had a low rushing & passing average even though we scored 30ppg.

What I see are a lot of highlights against bad Sunbelt teams plus UMass, and one rushing TD against Clemson. Do you have more from the Clemson game? That’s the only one that matters to me, honestly.

I’m not suggesting he and the offense can’t move the ball against a good P5 defense (or, even an average one), but I need to see evidence of it.

Last edited:

What I see are a lot of highlights against bad Sunbelt teams plus UMass, and one rushing TD against Clemson. Do you have more from the Clemson game? That’s the only one that matters to me, honestly.

I’m not suggesting he and the offense can’t move the ball against a good P5 defense (or, even an average one), but I need to see evidence of it.

AS I've said before 2018 was a comeback year from a 2-10 team in 2017. Clapson well overmatched us in 2018. Who won the P5 National Championship in 2018. I cant remember? Was it the Gophers?

AS I've said before 2018 was a comeback year from a 2-10 team in 2017. Clapson well overmatched us in 2018. Who won the P5 National Championship in 2018. I cant remember? Was it the Gophers?

I think you’re missing my point. We can pull highlights of the Gophers playing a competitive game against 13-1 Ohio State. Who was that one loss to...Purdue....the team the Gophers beat 41-10 a couple weeks later.

What I’m saying is outside of Clemson, GSU played a weak schedule, so highlights, stats, etc. need to be taken with a grain of salt. App St. is OK for a Sunbelt team, but they’d be near the bottom of the Big Ten (as would GSU).

I think you’re missing my point. We can pull highlights of the Gophers playing a competitive game against 13-1 Ohio State. Who was that one loss to...Purdue....the team the Gophers beat 41-10 a couple weeks later.

What I’m saying is outside of Clemson, GSU played a weak schedule, so highlights, stats, etc. need to be taken with a grain of salt. App St. is OK for a Sunbelt team, but they’d be near the bottom of the Big Ten (as would GSU).

Says the guy whose team finished 5th in the B10 west?

Eastern Michigan also beat Purdue. I wouldn't brag about that.

Also half the Big Ten lost or nearly lost games to G5 or Indy schools last year so you can probably discredit over half your schedule too if you want to play it that way.

Troy > Nebraska
USF > Illinois
E Mich > Purdue
BYU > Wisconsin
Buffalo > Rutgers
Akron > Northwestern
Temple > Maryland
You almost lost to Fresno St
Penn State almost lost to App
Mich State almost lost to Utah State

Last edited:

I agree. Still neither of us know how much GSU or the Gophers have improved over last year. If GSU looks like the 2014 & 15 using the Shotgun Option then the Gophers will have more than they want to handle!

Last edited:

Says the guy whose team finished 5th in the B10 west?

Eastern Michigan also beat Purdue. I wouldn't brag about that.

Purdue certainly had an up and down year, and I’m pretty sure they expected to roll over the Gophers. That game ended up looking similar to the Georgia Tech win...not competitive at all. The Wisconsin win was like that too.

But Purdue still has some talent. Beating OSU is not easy.

Anyway, this was entertaining for a while, but I’m beyond bored with it. I’m content to wait and see how it plays out.

Last edited:

Tried to find Worts on the GSU roster, but danged if I could. I used to have some worts on my hands, but Compound W took care of them.

The plontar worts on my feet are worse. Hard to get rid of. Thank goodness I don’t have gonital worts.

:eek: Talon!

Purdue certainly had an up and down year, and I’m pretty sure they expected to roll over the Gophers. That game ended up looking similar to the Georgia Tech win...not competitive at all. The Wisconsin win was like that too.

But Purdue still has some talent. Beating OSU is not easy.

Anyway, this was entertaining for a while, but I’m beyond bored with it. I’m content to wait and see how it plays out.

I don't think you really are. I want to see the highlight films against your 1st 2 teams & I'm sure you will be keeping track of GSU vs LSU and Maine games!

That's just the way we are. True GSU and Gopher fans!

PARTY ON PITINO

TALON

Last edited:

I don't think you really are. I want to see the highlight films against your 1st 2 teams & I'm sure you will be keeping track of GSU vs LSU and Maine games!

That's just the way we are. True GSU and Gopher fans!

PARTY ON PITINO

TALON

The reality is, this game is more important to you than it is to us.

I’ll leave you with this, from a recent Gopher PR. I believe that is the longest non-conference win streak in the country.

The Gophers have won 15 straight non-conference games and are 19-1 in their past 20 non-conference home games. Minnesota has won 10 straight non-conference games at TCF Bank Stadium.

The reality is, this game is more important to you than it is to us.

I’ll leave you with this, from a recent Gopher PR. I believe that is the longest non-conference win streak in the country.

The Gophers have won 15 straight non-conference games and are 19-1 in their past 20 non-conference home games. Minnesota has won 10 straight non-conference games at TCF Bank Stadium.

The famous "this is my last comment" comment.

I personally think this game is of equal importance unless our goals are different.

Goal 1: Win a conf championship (this game is meaningless for both of us)
Goal 2: Play in a NY6 Bowl (this game holds equal importance because its a must-win)
Goal 3: Win a National Championship (Since this isn't realistic for us then it's a must-win for you here too).

I personally think this game is of equal importance unless our goals are different.

Goal 2: Play in a NY6 Bowl (this game holds equal importance because its a must-win)
Goal 3: Win a National Championship (Since this isn't realistic for us then it's a must-win for you here too).

There you go trying to be reasonable.:rolleyes: ;)

Seriously, It is obviously important to both teams. Like you stated a win or loss by itself is still only equal to 1/12th of the season. I'm going to restate the obvious. To the general public, this is a lose, lose scenario for the Gophers. Win? well you are expected to win, so what. Lose, and the sky will fall just like chicken little. To GSU, it's win, win. Lose, no big deal, few expected you to win, the program still gets a payout, and the team gets to see how the compare to a Power 5 program. Win? Huge National exposure and all that comes with it, and your program still gets the nice payday.

With all of that said, for me it will be the first opportunity to see my program play this season. It will be all about seeing how much individual players, and the Offense, Defense, and Special Teams perform. Although I expect misques/ mistakes, I am hoping for a reasonably well played game. The rest will take care of itself.

There you go trying to be reasonable.:rolleyes: ;)

Seriously, It is obviously important to both teams. Like you stated a win or loss by itself is still only equal to 1/12th of the season. I'm going to restate the obvious. To the general public, this is a lose, lose scenario for the Gophers. Win? well you are expected to win, so what. Lose, and the sky will fall just like chicken little. To GSU, it's win, win. Lose, no big deal, few expected you to win, the program still gets a payout, and the team gets to see how the compare to a Power 5 program. Win? Huge National exposure and all that comes with it, and your program still gets the nice payday.

With all of that said, for me it will be the first opportunity to see my program play this season. It will be all about seeing how much individual players, and the Offense, Defense, and Special Teams perform. Although I expect misques/ mistakes, I am hoping for a reasonably well played game. The rest will take care of itself.

Yes a Big 10 team is expected to win over even a very good G5 team. Is GSU a great G5 team at this point, I don't know. If the Gophers do win against GSU the gophers should hope its not a close game. If the Gophers do win you should be pulling for GSU all year and every other team the play no matter how hatted.. Why you ask, because the more GSU wins the better the Gophers look in the polls.

This said you should hope all the teams the Gophers play have a great season until you beat them. It just brings the Gophers up in the poer rankings.

Last edited:

Well Toasty, I hope this will not be your last post unless your going to post a week before the game. We will have a lot more to talk about when GSU & the Gophers have played their first 2 games.

Top Bottom