Georgia Souther Uni. vs Gophers

*****I'VE GOT A BIG QUESTION ABOUT YOUR 2019 ROSTER for someone in the know.*****

When I was looking up your Offensive linemen I noted that you had a lot of Red Shirts. Its not just the freshmen but the sophomores juniors and seniors.

Why so many red shirts for the sophomores - seniors??????????????

https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?path=football

SO NONE OF YOU GOPHER FANS HAVE AN ANSWER FOR THE QUESTION BELOW??

*****I'VE GOT A BIG QUESTION ABOUT YOUR 2019 ROSTER for someone in the know.*****

When I was looking up your Offensive linemen I noted that you had a lot of Red Shirts. Its not just the freshmen but the sophomores juniors and seniors.

NCAA 2018

The NCAA Division I Council passed a proposal Wednesday that will allow players to participate in any four games in a season and still use a redshirt that year. The change, not retroactive, takes effect this coming season.

Athletes are allowed to play four full seasons over five calendar years, using one as a redshirt. A player can now actually play 4 1/3 seasons, as the NCAA ditches what Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason called last year an “antiquated” policy: one snap in a game and you’ve spoiled the chance at redshirting that year.

********So how many of your O line can play for the entire year??????

I think it's pretty common in the big ten to red shirt offensive linemen. Gives them an extra year to hit the weights and gain weight.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

SO NONE OF YOU GOPHER FANS HAVE AN ANSWER FOR THE QUESTION BELOW??
When a player redshirts any year, freshman, sophomore, junior whatever year, they are listed on the roster as a redshirt Jr a redshirt Fr, a redshirt Sr. etc. Only players who do not redshirt at all are listed as So, Jr, Sr.

Carter Coughlin has played all 3 years so far so he will be called a Sr. this year not a redshirt Sr. Big Dan will not be listed as a redshirt Soph because he started more than 4 games last year. Make sense?

Fleck redshirted as many players as possible the past 2 years to give them an extra year to mature. Offensive line for sure is one place but also defensive line and anywhere else he can get by with redshirting legally a player that would not see the field more than 4 games.

Last edited:

I think it's pretty common in the big ten to red shirt offensive linemen. Gives them an extra year to hit the weights and gain weight.

When a player redshirts any year, freshman, sophomore, junior whatever year, they are listed on the roster as a redshirt Jr a redshirt Fr, a redshirt Sr. etc. Only players who do not redshirt at all are listed as So, Jr, Sr.

Carter Coughlin has played all 3 years so far so he will be called a Sr. this year not a redshirt Sr. Big Dan will not be listed as a redshirt Soph because he started more than 4 games last year. Make sense?

Fleck redshirted as many players as possible the past 2 years to give them an extra year to mature. Offensive line for sure is one place but also defensive line and anywhere else he can get by with redshirting legally a player that would not see the field more than 4 games.

THANKS
TALON

Who are the Gophers 4 top receivers names? I'd like to look up their bios.

Who are the Gophers 4 top receivers names? I'd like to look up their bios.
Tyler Johnson
Demetrius Douglas
Rashod Bateman
Chris Autman-Bell

Tyler Johnson
Demetrius Douglas
Rashod Bateman
Chris Autman-Bell

I'll have to go back and look up Douglas.

J. Tylor 6'2 200lb Senior
2018 • JUNIOR SEASON: Started all 13 games • had six 100-yard games, which ranks tied for first in school history in a season and became the first Gopher ever to have four straight 100-yard games in Big Ten play • made 78 catches (second most in a season) for 1,169 yards (single-season school record) and 12 touchdowns (single-season school record) • named First Team All-Big Ten, becoming the first Gopher wideout to receive that honor since 2009

R. Bateman 6'2, 200lb Sopomore
CAREER: His 51 receptions and 704 yards in 2018 set a Gopher freshman record while his six touchdowns were the second most ever for a Minnesota freshman • caught a career high seven passes three times in 2018 and had a career high 175 receiving yards at Illinois.

C. Bell 6'1 200lb
2018 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Played in all 13 games and started nine • made 28 catches (fourth all-time for a Minnesota freshman) for 449 yards (third all-time for a Minnesota freshman) and led the team with a 16.03 yards per catch average

Last edited:

I'll have to go back and look up Douglas.

J. Tylor 6'2 200lb Senior
2018 • JUNIOR SEASON: Started all 13 games • had six 100-yard games, which ranks tied for first in school history in a season and became the first Gopher ever to have four straight 100-yard games in Big Ten play • made 78 catches (second most in a season) for 1,169 yards (single-season school record) and 12 touchdowns (single-season school record) • named First Team All-Big Ten, becoming the first Gopher wideout to receive that honor since 2009

R. Bateman 6'2, 200lb Sopomore
CAREER: His 51 receptions and 704 yards in 2018 set a Gopher freshman record while his six touchdowns were the second most ever for a Minnesota freshman • caught a career high seven passes three times in 2018 and had a career high 175 receiving yards at Illinois.

C. Bell 6'1 200lb
2018 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Played in all 13 games and started nine • made 28 catches (fourth all-time for a Minnesota freshman) for 449 yards (third all-time for a Minnesota freshman) and led the team with a 16.03 yards per catch average

Um, we know who our players are and where to find their bios and stats on Gophersports.

Um, we know who our players are and where to find their bios and stats on Gophersports.

You know your players and you should.

I placed their bios under this thread because I was impressed. Now run along and read some GSU bios & learn who it is that will beat you! ;-)

GSUs top 5 rushing backs vs Gophers for 2018

(RB) W. Fields 1050 total yards, 9 TDs
(QB) S. Werts - 908 total yards, 15 TDs
(RB) M. Gerrett - 515 yards, 5 TDs
(WR) W. Kennedy - 490 yards, 3 TDs
((RB) L. Right - 308 yards,, 3 TDs

Total 3461 rushing yards - 35 TDs by rushing
The rushing yards were a little low last year but it was under a new head coach & staff.

Gophers Top Rushers

2 Leading Gopher Running Backs

Mohamed Ibrahim 5'10 205lb
CAREER: Rushed 202 times for 1,160 yards (second most ever for a Gopher freshman) and nine touchdowns as a freshman in 2018 • rushed for more than 100 yards in five games in 2018 to become the first Gopher freshman to do so since Laurence Maroney (five 100-yard games) in 2003 • set a freshman single-game record with 224 yards against Georgia Tech (most by a Gopher in a single game since Maroney ran for 258 yards against Wisconsin in 2005) in the 2018 Quick Lane Bowl and produced the 12th-best rushing game in school history • his 5.74 yards per carry average ranks fifth all-time in school history (minimum 200 carries) • ranks 42nd on Minnesota’s career rushing list with 1,160 yards despite playing in only 10 games

2018 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Played in 10 games (missed three with an injury) and started nine • rushed 202 times for 1,160 yards

Williams
2018 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Played in all 13 games and started two • rushed 117 times for 502 yards and four touchdowns •

Last edited:

You know your players and you should.

I placed their bios under this thread because I was impressed. Now run along and read some GSU bios & learn who it is that will beat you! ;-)

You're dreaming pal. Our team is better than last year and beat a Georgia Tech team that would make your squad look like a JV team.

You're dreaming pal. Our team is better than last year and beat a Georgia Tech team that would make your squad look like a JV team.

AND GSU IS BETTER THAN LAST YEAR.

Dont think - just watch watch and learn!

GSU vs Georgia Tech last 3min with a new a new HC Fritz using the Shotgun Option
GSU vs GT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGCcYrPSNWA

Last edited:

Dont think so - watch and learn!

GSU vs Georgia Tech last 3min with a new a new HC Fritz using the Shotgun Option
GSU vs GT

Two things. Georgia Tech had some bad defensive lapses, and two our Gophers will have to stay on the gas against GSU. They won't quit.

It appears that GSU makes very good second half adjustments.

Dont think so - watch and learn!

GSU vs GT

Your evidence is from a game five years ago....with a coach that is no longer there? I'm just looked at the GSU schedule from last year. Sorry....but your 10-3 record playing in the Sun Belt is not impressive in the least.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I hadn't looked at this thread in weeks because I thought it would just disappear. Now, I see what's going on. Good job in keeping this one going, GSUsTALON! ��

Your evidence is from a game five years ago....with a coach that is no longer there? I'm just looked at the GSU schedule from last year. Sorry....but your 10-3 record playing in the Sun Belt is not impressive in the least.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You're right my evidence starts in 2014 the first year we moved to the FBS. With ALLMOST all of its 85 scholarships filled vs the 63 scholarships, from the fcs, the year before.

HOW LONG HAVE THE GOPHERS BEEN IN A P5 CONFRENCE WITH THE CHANCE TO RECRUTE P5 ATHLETES????

You're saying that your not impressed with GSUs comeback after the 2 miserable 2016-17 seasons. How impressed will the Big 10 & P5 teams be with your inevitable loss to a G5 GSU team?????

Here are 2 other P5 teams from 2014 - 2015 that we were supposed to lose big to? NC State and UGA

NC State last 3min under HC Fritz using the Shotgun Option
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chaDvK8XM1E

2nd year running the Shotgun Option under HC Fritz
vs #5 UGA overtime 6min video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jng... to look real bad to your P5 buds.[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited:

Two things. Georgia Tech had some bad defensive lapses, and two our Gophers will have to stay on the gas against GSU. They won't quit.

It appears that GSU makes very good second half adjustments.

THANK YOU STPGOPHER!

It will take both teams best efforts to win this matchup. Looking forward to a close game.

THANKS TALON

Georgia Southern: 128 out of 129 in passing offense.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25/p3

Sounds about right.

Our new Head Coach said that he used a simplified playbook in 2018. I think you'll see more passing this year but the bread and butter for yards and scoring is the rushing attack.

I think in our best year under head coach Paul Johnson's Spread Triple Option attack we averaged 120 yards passing per game, about 390 yards rushing and 48ppg over a 15 game season.

I hadn't looked at this thread in weeks because I thought it would just disappear. Now, I see what's going on. Good job in keeping this one going, GSUsTALON! ��

It's because I think GSU has a shot at the Gophers and I'm trying to put up facts about both teams with a little trash mixed in.:cool:

Last edited:

THANK YOU STPGOPHER!

It will take both teams best efforts to win this matchup. Looking forward to a close game.

THANKS TALON
Did you just thank yourself?

Did you just thank yourself?

The word is I should jump back and kiss myself for all the great information & trash that I, TALON, have posted on the hole.:cool:

AND MARYLAND WAS RANKED *(121) in passing but they beat you with their ground attack.

Maryland 42 - 13, *Rushing Gophers 94 to 315, *Pass Gophs 169- 117 with 1 Goph passing TD, *Total yards Gophs 262 to 432

That was ages ago. We replaced the d coordinator since then and have been strong defensively in every game since he's taken over. Including games against GT and Wisconsin which are known for their run games.

Top Bottom