Georgia Souther Uni. vs Gophers

And somehow, they only scored two TDs. And, the vaunted secondary that you bragged about gave up 300 yards passing to Maine. I’m not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OOOOPS, very true!

First GSU gets its ground game running and then the scoring begins in the RED ZONE!

True, but we’re also not Maine.

True, but Maine hadn't given up a 100 yard rusher in 17 games and we had 3 of them. Not to mention they led the FCS last year in rush defense with less than 80 ypg and returned most of their defense.

Just like Minnesota last week we couldn't get out of our own way, which is also not typical for us. Should have scored 40+ points.

Also 154 of Maine's 307 passing yards came after we went up 23-3 in the middle of the 4th. So take that for what it's worth. After their opening drive they only crossed the 50 once until the game was out of reach.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter what you or others think,

GSU wins this one in a close one with a 3 point field goal.

Sadly for the Gophers thats the way it goes!

Ah yes, the 3 point field goal. It’s my favorite kind of field goal. So many to chose from, but I’ll always take the 3 point field goal. How about you other guys? What point field goal do you like the best?

There is no guarantee we will "clean up" our mistakes from week 2 this week, but Minnesota should be concerned if we do no matter who our starting QB is.

True, but Maine hadn't given up a 100 yard rusher in 17 games and we had 3 of them. Not to mention they led the FCS last year in rush defense with less than 80 ypg and returned most of their defense.

Just like Minnesota last week we couldn't get out of our own way, which is also not typical for us. Should have scored 40+ points.

Also 154 of Maine's 307 passing yards came after we went up 23-3 in the middle of the 4th. So take that for what it's worth. After their opening drive they only crossed the 50 once until the game was out of reach.

Based on what I saw in those highlights, Maine looked like they didn’t know how to defend the option, no matter how good their defense is against FCS competition. If you look at how the Gophers defended GT, it resembled LSU’s defense more than it did Maine’s.

Having said that, if the Gophers have 3 third down defensive penalties that lead to points for GSU, and lose three fumbles, like they did against Fresno, they could definitely lose the game. They had to make some ridiculous plays to recover from those mistakes.

Last edited:

.....Minnesota is 10-0 all-time against teams from the Sun Belt conference, but has not faced a current Sun Belt foe since 2003 when it beat both Troy, 48-7, and Louisiana-Lafayette (now Louisiana), 48-14. Minnesota is 3-0 all-time against Louisiana and ULM. The Gophers are 2-0 all-time against Arkansas State and 1-0 against both Texas State and Troy.....

.....The Gophers have now won 17 straight nonconference games, which is the longest streak in the nation. Minnesota's last nonconference loss was on Sept. 3, 2015, when it fell 23-17 at home to No. 2 TCU. The Gophers are 20-1 in their past 21 nonconference home games and have won 11 straight nonconference home games.....

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/9/9/football-game-3-georgia-southern-at-minnesota.aspx

I don't think the Gophers have the level of talent that the LSU Defense have. They do have talent that can be effective. It is all a matter of personnel match ups. The Gophers are improving every week.

Having said that, IMHO they have enough speed and containment discipline to be able to neutralize the run like they have done with Georgia Tech.

GSU - you can't sleep on them or take them for granted.

Ah yes, the 3 point field goal. It’s my favorite kind of field goal. So many to chose from, but I’ll always take the 3 point field goal. How about you other guys? What point field goal do you like the best?

Well, they could go for the 4 point field goal, but they don't want to be greedy.

I don't think the Gophers have the level of talent that the LSU Defense have. They do have talent that can be effective. It is all a matter of personnel match ups. The Gophers are improving every week.

Having said that, IMHO they have enough speed and containment discipline to be able to neutralize the run like they have done with Georgia Tech.

Correct, we don't need to be LSU good to beat them. We wont put a LSU beat down on them, but if we play clean disciplined game, we cover the spread. I expect few mistakes and gophers to win and GSU to cover

If we combined our mistakes from SDSU and Fresno into one awful game, we'll lose

Of course we don’t have LSU level talent on defense, but as good as they are, they gave up 38 points and 530 yards of offense to Texas. Texas is a good team, but if defense is your identity, that’s unacceptable.

Of course we don’t have LSU level talent on defense, but as good as they are, they gave up 38 points and 530 yards of offense to Texas. Texas is a good team, but if defense is your identity, that’s unacceptable.

Those stats are against two very different offenses. LSU only allowed 120 rushing yards at 3.3 ypc against Texas.

Our OL did not have the ability to get to the 2nd level to seal off LBs and safeties against LSU. We should have an easier time with that against Minnesota, though much tougher than Maine of course.

I think this will be a fun matchup. Neither team is really happy with their performance so far this year. It doesnt help that we are without QB1 and our most productive RB.

(1) Based on what I saw in those highlights, Maine looked like they didn’t know how to defend the option, no matter how good their defense is against FCS competition. If you look at how the Gophers defended GT, it resembled LSU’s defense more than it did Maine’s.

(2) Having said that, if the Gophers have 3 third down defensive penalties that lead to points for GSU, and lose three fumbles, like they did against Fresno, they could definitely lose the game. They had to make some ridiculous plays to recover from those mistakes.

(1) A lot of teams that don't have 2 weeks to prepare have trouble with a Triple Option team. The biggest concern for me was the 375+ rushing yards rendering only 28 points and Maines passing yards against our defense. Will the Gophers be ready in a weeks worth of practice to defend the Shotgun Option? Also remember your game against FCS SDSU was not really a blowout either.

ToastyGS- True, but Maine hadn't given up a 100 yard rusher in 17 games and we had 3 of them. Not to mention they led the FCS last year in rush defense with less than 80 ypg and returned most of their defense.

TALON- Maine did make it to the FCS semifinals last year but was blown out by Washington St.

(2) Mistakes can go both ways and heart both our teams! This game come down to mistakes!

Those stats are against two very different offenses. LSU only allowed 120 rushing yards at 3.3 ypc against Texas.

Our OL did not have the ability to get to the 2nd level to seal off LBs and safeties against LSU. We should have an easier time with that against Minnesota, though much tougher than Maine of course.

I think this will be a fun matchup. Neither team is really happy with their performance so far this year. It doesnt help that we are without QB1 and our most productive RB.

Correct ToastyGS

(1) A lot of teams that don't have 2 weeks to prepare have trouble with a Triple Option team. The biggest concern for me was the 375+ rushing yards rendering only 28 points and Maines passing yards against our defense. Will the Gophers be ready in a weeks worth of practice to defend the Shotgun Option? Also remember your game against FCS SDSU was not really a blowout either.

ToastyGS- True, but Maine hadn't given up a 100 yard rusher in 17 games and we had 3 of them. Not to mention they led the FCS last year in rush defense with less than 80 ypg and returned most of their defense.

TALON- Maine did make it to the FCS semifinals last year but was blown out by Washington St.

(2) Mistakes can go both ways and heart both our teams! This game come down to mistakes!

I don’t doubt lack of preparation time can be a factor against a triple option team, but...

1. Fleck played against GSU twice at WMU a few years ago, so I think he gets it.

2. We just played a triple option team last year, and had success.

3. Because Fleck gets it, they spent time preparing for this game during camp. He said so in an interview.

So, if I want to learn a bit about Georgia Southern, should I start at Post #1 in this thread and keep reading?! If so, what will I learn?

Go Gophers!!

So, if I want to learn a bit about Georgia Southern, should I start at Post #1 in this thread and keep reading?! If so, what will I learn?

Go Gophers!!

You’ll learn that GSU is an elite helmet school which should be in the CFB Playoffs and that their QB was arrested for cocaine possession but it actually turned out to just be bird poop,

Go Gophers!!

You will also learn that Georgia Southern fans that visit other teams messageboards expect to win.

True, but we’re also not Maine.

Remember that an FCS team has 63 scholarships. I also said that the top 6 FCS teams, if they didn't loss their coaching staff and most of their 1st string players can be dangerous to FBS schools. EXAMPLE - NDSU has won 6 of 9 against FBS schools they have played since entering FCS.

This year the Gophers played FCS SDSU

STATS

Score SD 21 - Gophers 28
1st Downs SD 23- Gophers 17
Total Yards SD 367 - Gophers 308
Passing SD 193 - Gophers 308
Rushing SD 174- Gophers 132

GSU is not an FCS team but a G5 FBS team. GSU still has a while to go of rebuilding. From the stats above SDSU held their own against the Gophers.

From GSUs last game the Gopher stat the worries me the most is your 308 passing yards. Then again the Gophers should be concerned about 3 GSU backs making over 100 yards each for a total of 375+ yards without our starting QB.

This game will be interesting!

Last edited:

Remember that an FCS team has 63 scholarships. I also said that the top 6 FCS teams, if they didn't loss their coaching staff and most of their 1st string players can be dangerous to FBS schools. EXAMPLE - NDSU has won 6 of the 9 FBS schools they have played since entering FCS.

This year the Gophers played FCS SDSU

STATS

Score ND 21 - Gophers 28
1st Downs ND23- Gophers 17
Total Yards SD 367 - Gophers 308
Passing SD193 - Gophers 308
Rushing SD 174- Gophers 132

GSU is not an FCS team but a G5 FBS team. GSU still has a while to go of rebuilding. From the stats above SDSU held their own against the Gophers.

From GSUs last game the Gopher stat the worries me the most is your 308 passing yards. Then again the Gophers should be concerned about 3 GSU backs making over 100 yards each for a total of 375+ yards without our starting QB.

This game will be interesting!

We haven't played NDSU in a decade, not sure how any of that is relevant

Of course that has been mentioned to you, and you keep harping on it.

I didn't even know Maine had an FCS team, congrats on beating them

Since history is important, Gophers have never lost to a sunbelt team

I don’t know if GSU fans are aware, but our DB coach was the head coach of Maine for the last 3 seasons. It seems weird to quit an FCS HC job to take a position coaching job, especially after a successful season, but that’s what happened. He’s only 33 years old.

I don’t know if GSU fans are aware, but our DB coach was the head coach of Maine for the last 3 seasons. It seems weird to quit an FCS HC job to take a position coaching job, especially after a successful season, but that’s what happened. He’s only 33 years old.

I guess it's only weird if hes making less money. I'm sure he has his reasons.

I guess it's only weird if hes making less money. I'm sure he has his reasons.

I just read an article about it. He sees his future in FBS, and he’s worked with our D coordinator before. He’s probably actually making more money.

I just read an article about it. He sees his future in FBS, and he’s worked with our D coordinator before. He’s probably actually making more money.

I would anticipate that being the case. Most FCS head coaches make scraps unless they coach at higher profile schools like NDSU or JMU.

We haven't played NDSU in a decade, not sure how any of that is relevant

Of course that has been mentioned to you, and you keep harping on it.

I didn't even know Maine had an FCS team, congrats on beating them

This is why it is relevant! as I said above - " the top 6 FCS teams, if they didn't loss their coaching staff and most of their 1st string players can be dangerous to FBS schools so the Gophers played a tough school in SDSU not some chump FCS school." I did not bring up that NDSU beat the Gophers once.

I'm also saying that GSU is a G5 FBS school with 85 scholarships. Yes we have a lot of rebuilding to do from our 2016-17 teams, but after last week, not playing our 1st string QB we racked up 375 yards rushing. I also said that I am worried about the Gophers passing attack.

^

Honestly, you should worry more about the Gopher running game, because If they have success running the ball early, they’ll do it all game long, and it will get more difficult to stop as the GSU defense wears down. That’s how PJ likes to play. It didn’t work out that way the first two games, but if the OL gets their act together, it’s exactly what you’ll see, with about 15 pass attempts sprinkled in here and there. Some of those will be deep shots.

According to Sagarin, SDSU is #62 and Maine is #138 and SDSU would be favored over Maine on a neutral field by 19.15 points.

Top Bottom