Georgia Souther Uni. vs Gophers

The story goes that when Georgia Southern restarted the football program that Head Coach Erk Russell went with the above uniform because it was the cheapest. The Eagles at that time did not even have enough money to even put a real white strip on the helmets so Erk added the strip be putting white tape on the helmets. The only real change to the uniforms is that the players names were added after Erk retired.
Eagle fans really embrace this uniform an it would be hell to pay for anyone that changed it. If you want to see a knock down slug fest with Eagle fans just bring up a football uniform change thread on gsufans.com

GATA

Erk also reached out to FSU, Auburn, & Georgia for their practice pants and shirts to stat the program with his walkons as a club team. Because we didn't have a stadium as a start up club team we played at the Statesboro Highschool stadium until our own Paulson stadium was built.

AND NOW

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Expanded_Paulson_Stadium.jpg

Last edited:

I dont think they want to speak to you Valley! Your a Eagle fan - so...……..

I dont think they want to speak to you Valley! Your a Eagle fan - so...……..

You two seem to be doing just fine on here without us getting involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You two seem to]Georgia Southern was great at FCS team, with 6 NCs .

I know NDSU came along and since then they are the leaders of FCS with 7 NCs. Have played NDSU before?

Oh Spoon , you're involved & in deep you just dont understand that yet!
"M"

Last edited:

You two seem to]Georgia Southern was great at FCS team, with 6 NCs .

I know NDSU came along and since then they are the leaders of FCS with 7 NCs. Have played NDSU before?

Oh Spoon , you're involved & in deep you just dont understand that yet!
"M"

Come again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All GSU fans are invited to a gameday breakfast at my house in Hawley Minnesota. I'll be serving traditional Minnesota delicacies like Swedish Meatballs, Potato Pancakes, Lefse, and Sugar Beet Sake.

I know we're 230 miles from the stadium, but you can catch the high speed rail (Shinkansen bullet train) that stops just blocks from my house and drops you off right outside stadium, so you can put down your chopsticks in my dining room at 9am and be in your seats at the stadium by 11.

All GSU fans are invited to a gameday breakfast at my house in Hawley Minnesota. I'll be serving traditional Minnesota delicacies like Swedish Meatballs, Potato Pancakes, Lefse, and Sugar Beet Sake.

I know we're 230 miles from the stadium, but you can catch the high speed rail (Shinkansen bullet train) that stops just blocks from my house and drops you off right outside stadium, so you can put down your chopsticks in my dining room at 9am and be in your seats at the stadium by 11.

Thats very nice of you. GSU fans will invite some of the opposing teams posters to our tailgates, but I never remember a GSU fan offering breakfast. I did host a fan from New York city once at my home but that was during the PJ era.

If you would like I will post this on www.gsufans (The Flite Line). The big problem is I think most of the GSU fans that will attend will fly in to the nearest airport. Which airport would that be?

Last edited:

You are confusing the Georgia Southern EAGLES with the Ducks.

I know what you really want. Oregon State has been pressing the Gophers AD to reveal the type of panties and color combinations your team has for each week's Gophers games and the Manziers your over weight linemen are wearing. The Ducks really want to know if you have an iron clad contract with Victoria’s Secret or can they get in on the deal?

You're not the Panthers?

I'm not sure if there's a waffle house in Minneapolis or not, but if there isn't, prepare for an angry Gerogia State team.

Eagle fans really embrace this uniform an it would be hell to pay for anyone that changed it. If you want to see a knock down slug fest with Eagle fans just bring up a football uniform change thread on gsufans.com

GATA

Gopher fans, on the other hand, embrace change. We got a new coach from a lesser conference (who took a paycut to come here,) and he plastered his recycled logo from his last job all over our uniforms, stadium, practice facility, and whole campus. We can't get enough of the changes! I heard rumors from the Capital that our coach has been commissioned to redesign our State flag even, and we like it!

I'm not sure if there's a waffle house in Minneapolis or not, but if there isn't, prepare for an angry Gerogia State team.

Yeah, Perkins requires both a shirt and shoes for service.

Greetings all. oldfart has arrived to keep ValleyBoy and Talon in check(they cant go anywhere without supervision) Like these other two miscreants, I’m a diehard Georgia Southern fan and sincerely look forward to watching our beloved teams face off this season. Quite honestly, I don’t know much about Minnesota other than our own Jerrick McKinnon, now with San Francisco, played for the Vikings a couple of years ago, Fran Tarkenton was the greatest scrambling QB ever, Prince originated up there somewhere, there’s a big mall up there somewhere, and I hear it gets cold asa well digger’s butt in the winter. I do see y’all have a pretty good coach in Fleck, and some pretty good athletes to boot, so this game is gonna be a tough one for us. That said, if y’all have any trouble from these two, lemme know and I’ll do my best to straighten them out, well, except ValleyBoy, some things just defy logic. Anyway, feel free to share more details about your team, “rowing the boat”, etc.

Was there a Waffle House in Fargo in 2011? I bet they were hungry after the flight home!

Greetings all. oldfart has arrived to keep ValleyBoy and Talon in check(they cant go anywhere without supervision) Like these other two miscreants, I’m a diehard Georgia Southern fan and sincerely look forward to watching our beloved teams face off this season. Quite honestly, I don’t know much about Minnesota other than our own Jerrick McKinnon, now with San Francisco, played for the Vikings a couple of years ago, Fran Tarkenton was the greatest scrambling QB ever, Prince originated up there somewhere, there’s a big mall up there somewhere, and I hear it gets cold asa well digger’s butt in the winter. I do see y’all have a pretty good coach in Fleck, and some pretty good athletes to boot, so this game is gonna be a tough one for us. That said, if y’all have any trouble from these two, lemme know and I’ll do my best to straighten them out, well, except ValleyBoy, some things just defy logic. Anyway, feel free to share more details about your team, “rowing the boat”, etc.

SAVAGE!

Too savage Talon? I usually don’t go for the jugular on the first post, I just felt like I needed to hit them hard and let them know I mean business. In retrospect, maybe the Fran Tarkenton thing was a bit much. I ‘pologize. At least I didn’t bring up the 98-99 season Atlanta came from 10 points down to beat a heavily favored Minnesota team to earn their first Super Bowl appearance. That would have been wrong.

Was there a Waffle House in Fargo in 2011? I bet they were hungry after the flight home!

I mean they did beat you 35-7 that year in the semifinals, so yeah they probably were! Or maybe in 2012 when they beat you again in the semifinals.

I actually think GSU would fare better against a team like Purdue who likes to air it out more. The gophers actually ranked higher in time of possession than GSU did last year. Unless the gophers beat themselves I expect a comfortable win. If the gophers get up a couple scores early GSU will be in serious trouble. GSU should struggle to get enough penetration to disrupt our run game which will allow us to pound away with our stable of RBs and Seth Green converting plenty of short yardage scenarios. Although GSU runs a different option attach than GT it still calls for a similar approach from the defense, so the recent experience will be very valuable for the gopher defense. I do not see GSU being consistent enough on first down gains to sustain enough long drives to keep up. I also don't think Wertz will be as deadly scrambling against a more athletic front 7 like we have. He often is able to bail out the GSU offense against lesser opponents by creating on his own. I'd be surprised if we do not use a spy on him on passing downs. He is a much better passer than Marshall of GT, but I expect him to be under pressure in obvious passing downs.

I actually think GSU would fare better against a team like Purdue who likes to air it out more. The gophers actually ranked higher in time of possession than GSU did last year. Unless the gophers beat themselves I expect a comfortable win. If the gophers get up a couple scores early GSU will be in serious trouble. GSU should struggle to get enough penetration to disrupt our run game which will allow us to pound away with our stable of RBs and Seth Green converting plenty of short yardage scenarios. Although GSU runs a different option attach than GT it still calls for a similar approach from the defense, so the recent experience will be very valuable for the gopher defense. I do not see GSU being consistent enough on first down gains to sustain enough long drives to keep up. I also don't think Wertz will be as deadly scrambling against a more athletic front 7 like we have. He often is able to bail out the GSU offense against lesser opponents by creating on his own. I'd be surprised if we do not use a spy on him on passing downs. He is a much better passer than Marshall of GT, but I expect him to be under pressure in obvious passing downs.

The only obvious passing down for Georgia Southern is late in the game when they have to have to make a very long 1st down. 3rd and long the Eagles have been content to run the ball instead of passing. The way to stop the Eagles offense is to stop the run because they only pass the ball when they want to do so and that is mainly to pass the ball just enough to keep the defense honest.

The only obvious passing down for Georgia Southern is late in the game when they have to have to make a very long 1st down. 3rd and long the Eagles have been content to run the ball instead of passing. The way to stop the Eagles offense is to stop the run because they only pass the ball when they want to do so and that is mainly to pass the ball just enough to keep the defense honest.

I watched a bit of the Southern vs State game from last year for kicks. Looks like GSU will throw on third and long, but didn't have many. Also they hit several big plays through the air. With a healthy Antoine Winfield Jr back at safety I'm hoping we can eliminate those type of plays. I think GSU would need to hit 2 or 3 of them to pull out a upset.

You're right in some cases. GSU has was not consistent in The Pistol Option attack in 2016 - 2017. Southern had a very low rushing average last year. Still our new Head Coach & Staff made GSU into a 10-3 team last year that he can build on in 2019. If GSU improves its execution over last years team we should have a good game in Minnesota.

Last edited:

Btown - "The gophers actually ranked higher in time of possession than GSU did last year."

Btown - "(1)I do not see GSU being consistent enough on first down gains to sustain enough long drives to keep up. (2) I also don't think Wertz will be as deadly scrambling against a more athletic front 7 like we have. He often is able to bail out the GSU offense against lesser opponents by creating on his own.

TALON - Those are two very good points. A lot depends on how much our offensive line has improved. As fare as #2 goes your front 7 will have to deal with more than Wertz.

Most of you dont know much about GSU's past in FCS. we won 6 FCS National Championships whole we in FCS starting in 1985 running the Spread Triple Option, which really doesn't mean much to you.

Our last year in FCS under HC Monken vs U or Florida using the Spread Triple Option 8min video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylndMpwBg5k

GSU vs Georgia Tech last 3min under a new HC Fritz using the Pistol Option
GSU vs GThttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGCcYrPSNWA

NC State last 3min under HC Fritz using the Pistol youtube]chaDvK8XM1E

2nd year running the Pistol Option under HC Fritz
UGA overtime 6min video

Last year Southern went 9-3 and a bowl win = 10-3. "IF" GSU has improved to = Fritz's Pistol Option Attack at Southern it may be a closer game then you think.

This guy is pretty good, i see him on NDSU boards. GSU will be a test for gophers, but this isn't the GSU of old with Jerick Mckinnon , et al.

This guy is pretty good, i see him on NDSU boards. GSU will be a test for gophers, but this isn't the GSU of old with Jerick Mckinnon , et al.

Thanks
That is true Bisonation. A totally different QB, Offensive & blocking scheme.

Last edited:

I can't imagine this game being close at all. Gophers win big.

Top Bottom