Georgia Souther Uni. vs Gophers

I don't think GSU 3-4 defense will load the box. In my opinion GSU will be using a nickel back as a Roving Back. Sometimes for rushing and sometimes for passing!

TAKE IT TO THE BANK _ SLAPPY!:cool:

So you'll die a slow death of us wearing you down and running through you

Can you find the rankings between the 2018 GSU defense & Gopher Defense?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2018-team-defense.html

Interesting. I noticed Fresno State had the #3 defense in the nation, according to those stats. Do I think they were actually the 3rd best defense? Not a chance. Either way, they lost 21-14 to Minnesota.

The defense did suck for stretch of several games, until they changed the defensive coordinator. It was embarrassing, to be honest. After that, they were lights out. It looked like an entirely different team. Ask Wisconsin, Purdue and Georgia Tech. I won’t pretend to know whether they can carry that over into this coming season, but I’m not sure playing the 104th ranked GSU offense will tell us much about whether the Gopher defense is ready for Big Ten competition.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I noticed Fresno State had the #3 defense in the nation, according to those stats. Do I think they were actually the 3rd best defense? Not a chance. Either way, they lost 21-14 to Minnesota.

The defense did suck for stretch of several games, until they changed the defensive coordinator. It was embarrassing, to be honest. After that, they were lights out. It looked like an entirely different team. Ask Wisconsin, Purdue and Georgia Tech. I won’t pretend to know whether they can carry that over into this coming season, but I’m not sure playing the 104th ranked GSU offense will tell us much about whether the Gopher defense is ready for Big Ten competition.

Is Fresno a G5 or P5 team?

Is Fresno a G5 or P5 team?

Obviously, G5...which means they play mostly G5 level of competition, just like GSU. That’s why these stats comparisons are mostly worthless.

Sadly it should have been Gophers 38 - Fresno 14, but the Gophers couldn't handle that weak G5 defense.

According to the 2018 win loss record Fresno was 12-2. and their defense stopped many a team from scouring BIG including the GOPHERS that only won by 7. Shouldn't the Gophers have been 21 to 14 against a weak Fresno Defense???????????????

Last edited:

Obviously, G5...which means they play mostly G5 level of competition, just like GSU. That’s why these stats comparisons are mostly worthless.

And yet the P5 Gophers Offense only beat that G5 defense by 7. Hmmmmm

Things are looking up for GSU!!

Last edited:

Arn't those the gophers offensive stats, but how did you do against Fresno?

Last edited:

The Gophers were playing their second game of the season with a walk-on true Freshman QB and their 4th string true freshman running back (after Rodney Smith tore his ACL on the first play of the game), and they still put up 21 points. It was a good defense, but not the 3rd best in the nation. They padded their stats against the likes of Incarnate Word, just like the other good G5 teams do.

The Gophers were playing their second game of the season with a walk-on true Freshman QB and their 4th string true freshman running back (after Rodney Smith tore his ACL on the first play of the game), and they still put up 21 points. It was a good defense, but not the 3rd best in the nation. They padded their stats against the likes of Incarnate Word, just like the other good G5 teams do.

I understand where you are comming from with facts and figures. Playing P5 vs G5 teams on a constant basses does skew the stats. Still the Gophers were a P5 team that should have had the depth with better players than Fresno.

If you look back at FCS GSUs game against Florida, GSU had more injuries than Florida did and yet they lost to GSU!

If you look back at GSUs first 3 games in FBS against GT, NC & UGA our defense held. Dont give me excesses for the Gophers last 6 years & I wont for last years Clemson vs GSU beat down game! Then again the Gophers arn't Clemson.

Last edited:

It’s hilarious that you always bring up UGA, NC and Georgia Tech. Your team lost those games. Moral victories might play well on the GSU fan site, but not here on Gopherhole. The Florida win was 6 years ago, against a 4-8 team. Congratulations! Jerick McKinnon is not going to come walking through that door.

Maybe we can go back 15 years to the Gophers bowl win over Alabama if that’s how this game will be decided. LOL

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=243660135

Or, to 1960....the most recent of 7 national championships.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_Minnesota_Golden_Gophers_football_team

Last edited:

It’s hilarious that you always bring up UGA, NC and Georgia Tech. Your team lost those games. Moral victories might play well on the GSU fan site, but not here on Gopherhole. The Florida win was 6 years ago, against a 4-8 team. Congratulations! Jerick McKinnon is not going to come walking through that door.

Maybe we can go back 15 years to the Gophers bowl win over Alabama if that’s how this game will be decided. LOL

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=243660135

Or, to 1960....the most recent of 7 national championships.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_Minnesota_Golden_Gophers_football_team

You're right, GSU did lose against GT, NC, & #5 UGA as a team that just started with 85 scholarships in its first 2 years in FBS. How long have the gophers been in FBS with 85 P5 Scholarships. In our first 2 years of FBS play GSU did better with GT, NC, or #5 UGA than you did against Fresno or other P 5 teams during the same period!!!

Last edited:

You're right, GSU did lose against GT, NC, & #5 UGA as a team that just started with 85 scholarships in its firstv2 years in FBS. How long have the gophers been in FBS with 85 P5 Scholarships. In our first 2 years of FBS play GSU did better with GT, NC, or #5 UGA than you did against Fresno or other P 5 teams during the same period!!!

Are your DBs Nfl prospect? No way they handle our Wr single coverage

You're right, GSU did lose against GT, NC, & #5 UGA as a team that just started with 85 scholarships in its firstv2 years in FBS. How long have the gophers been in FBS with 85 P5 Scholarships. In our first 2 years of FBS play GSU did better with GT, NC, or #5 UGA than you did against Fresno or other P 5 teams during the same period!!!

Would you like to see GSU clips of their 6 back to back FCS National Championships 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1999 & 2000,

Are your DBs Nfl prospect? No way they handle our Wr single coverage

Look again. It would be really sad if they weren't and we shut you wide outs down - as our DBs will!

Last edited:

Look again. It would be really sad if they weren't and we shut you wide outs down - as they will!

You didn’t use any bold text in this post so I’m not sure how serious to take it.

Wait....what?

Why is that relevant? Our stats would be better if we were G5 team

If we can over power Wisconsin, I'm sure we can over power GSU

Sometimes $h!t or cheese happens.

You're right, GSU did lose against GT, NC, & #5 UGA as a team that just started with 85 scholarships in its first 2 years in FBS. How long have the gophers been in FBS with 85 P5 Scholarships. In our first 2 years of FBS play GSU did better with GT, NC, or #5 UGA than you did against Fresno or other P 5 teams during the same period!!!

Assuming you mean the 2014-2015 seasons the gophers beat 7 P5 schools in that time frame. They also lost to TCU (#2), OSU (#8), Iowa (#8), and Michigan (#15) by 7 points or less if we are going to count close losses as a positive.

I think he’s saying losing close games to UGA, NC, and Georgia Tech in 2014-2015 is better than the Gophers beating Fresno and the P5 teams we beat last year. Never mind the fact that the Gophers beat GT to a pulp last year...something that GSU could only do in Talon’s dreams.

Would you like to see GSU clips of their 6 back to back FCS National Championships 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1999 & 2000,

What do 20+ year old FCS championships have to do with a game against a Power 5 team in a few months?

I think it's great that we will, in the fullness of time, coax a wildly meandering 75+ page mega-thread from a late September guarantee game with a school the Gophers have never once played.

Cheers, internet.

We're right on schedule!

I think we will be fine a defensive CB

CB -K. Vildor
2018 - Second-Team All-American (Pro Football Focus)
2018 - Sun Belt Player of the Year (Pro Football Focus)
2018 - All-Sun Belt Conference First Team
2018 - All-Sun Belt Conference First Team (Southern Pigskin)
2018 - All-Sun Belt Conference First Team (Pro Football Focus)

CB - Brinson
2018 - All-Sun Belt Conference Second Team
2018 - All-Sun Belt First Team (Southern Pigskin)
2018 - All-Sun Belt First Team (Pro Football Focus)
2018 - All-Sun Belt Second Team (Phil Steele)
2017 - All-Sun Belt Conference Second Team
2017 - All-Sun Belt Conference First Team (Southern Pigskin)

Last edited:

What do 20+ year old FCS championships have to do with a game against a Power 5 team in a few months?

It shows with a great Head Coach and staff that the Triple Option does work. Remember that in FCS you have 2 seasons. The 16 team playoff pits your team against the PROVEN best of FVS and you don't get to pick who you play!

CB -K. Vildor

CB - Brinson

You didn’t tell us they were All-Sun Belt players. In that case, they should be able to load the box to try to stop the run, and have those corners cover Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman one on one. Right?

This game will be over in the first half. Minnesota will have over 200 yards in passing and over 100 in rushing in the first half. 41-7 will be hard to come back from, Fighting Birdies, or whatever you're called...

CB -K. Vildor

CB - Brinson

You didn’t tell us they were All-Sun Belt players. In that case, they should be able to load the box to try to stop the run, and have those corners cover Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman one on one. Right?

Pinto I did a high lite that both CBs, Vildor & Brinson were pro football Focuses. Did you see that?

I also said GSU can also use a Nickle Back when needed.

Top Bottom