Georgia Souther Uni. vs Gophers

How long have you been in the BIG. Your current coach took over from a winning coach and yet in the last 2 years you cant break 6-6 in the regular season. What happened in 2017?

What does this have to do with anything that I am saying?

Just trying to help the GaSo poster.

I just mean in general. I realize beating 3-9 gopher team is obviously high mark for your jv squad, but still. Looking for validation?

Just an observation over the past couple seasons, but I think people from around the country underestimate how tough the Big 10 is. I noticed it when the Georgia Tech fans thought it was a forgone conclusion they would stomp us. They looked at the .500 record, and assumed that losses to Maryland, Illinois and Nebraska were evidence of a bad football team. To their credit, they took the loss well, and acknowledged how physically overmatched their squad was. The next day, Wisconsin (a team we destroyed) dominated Miami 35-3 in their bowl game, and the Georgia Tech fans again noted the obvious physical mismatch between those two teams, and said it “looked familiar.” There was a noticeable drop off from the Big 10 to the ACC, if we leave Clemson out of it. GSU fans are making some of the same assumptions Georgia Tech fans made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I then expanded it to your entire schedule last year, so even if I don't pick your two worst games my point still stands. You didn't score 30+ against anyone with a pulse other than a Appy St squad playing their 2nd and 3rd string QBs who imploded. There's no reason to believe GSU will score 30+ on the gophers unless GSU has like a +4 or more turnover advantage.

You have no way of knowing how good or bad our offense will be this season based on stats from year one of a new coaching staff.

I think it's likely we score less than 30 points because this game could very well end 28-24 since both teams are going to run the ball a lot. I think +4 turnover advantage is a bit of a stretch, but yes the team who creates more turnovers usually wins the game - that's how this works.

You have no way of knowing how good or bad our offense will be this season based on stats from year one of a new coaching staff.

I think it's likely we score less than 30 points because this game could very well end 28-24 since both teams are going to run the ball a lot. I think +4 turnover advantage is a bit of a stretch, but yes the team who creates more turnovers usually wins the game - that's how this works.

Never said I knew anything. Obviously this thread is filled with predictions. I’d happily lay money on GSU not scoring 30+. And you totally missed my point on the turnovers.

The last time GSU played a Big 10 team (2017)

Shai Werts was the starting QB.

Indiana 52
Georgia Southern 17

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400935359

The Gopher squad you’re going to face is a lot better than that Indiana team was.

That's worse than me handpicking your Illinois game from last season as any inclination of how poorly your current team is at stopping the running game. Games from our 2017 season have zero bearing on the outcome of our game this year.

FWIW neither do any of our games from 2014 or 2015 which I'm sure other GS posters have brought up (or will bring up).

Last edited:

The last time GSU played a Big 10 team (2017)

Shai Werts was the starting QB.

Indiana 52
Georgia Southern 17

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400935359

The Gopher squad you’re going to face is a lot better than that Indiana team was.

Werts freshman year and the 3rd game that he started. If you saw that score you would also know that the week before New Hampshire won by a score of 22-12.

As I understand it the Gophers replaced the defensive coordinator last season due to defensive production during the middle of the season. During the 2017 season Georgia Southern replaced the head coach due to offensive production.

6-6 playing in the B1G while changing DCs half way through the year, playing with our 3rd and 4th string RBs most of the year and playing half the year with a true frosh qb and the other half with a redshirt freshman who had no experience. The team clearly improved a lot in the second half, so there is actual evidence that the gophers will be light years ahead of where they were at the beginning of 2018. There is no evidence that GSU's offense will somehow make massive strides at the very beginning of year 2 in this system, there is only hope.

TALON to Btown.- The point is that in 2016 we had a losing season and in 2017 GSU had its worst season in its history going 2-10.

BT- 6-6 playing in the B1G while changing DCs half way through the year. Talon- I'm glad you got things on track with your new DC!

In 2018, with a new head coach, staff & basically the same players from 2017, our HC took a 2-10 2017 team and turned them into a 10-3 team in a year. We won and loss some ugly games but the growth was good and the turnaround great. As I said before the HC & OC used a limited offensive playbook last year & in the spring report the HC & OC stated the total offense was executing better than in 2018 & have added more plays from the playbook.

Fine and dandy. Fresno State thought they'd kill us. So long as you come back eat crow when you lose, all is good

I dont think GSU will kill the Gophers. I think it will come down to the last 5 min.

Last edited:

Just an observation over the past couple seasons, but I think people from around the country underestimate how tough the Big 10 is. I noticed it when the Georgia Tech fans thought it was a forgone conclusion they would stomp us. They looked at the .500 record, and assumed that losses to Maryland, Illinois and Nebraska were evidence of a bad football team. To their credit, they took the loss well, and acknowledged how physically overmatched their squad was. The next day, Wisconsin (a team we destroyed) dominated Miami 35-3 in their bowl game, and the Georgia Tech fans again noted the obvious physical mismatch between those two teams, and said it “looked familiar.” There was a noticeable drop off from the Big 10 to the ACC, if we leave Clemson out of it. GSU fans are making some of the same assumptions Georgia Tech fans made.

Agreed. Fresno state fans were predicting 38-14 and other type beat down numbers vs us. I'll admit Tedford and Fresno OC did us a few favors early, but we won 21-14. I'll even admit Fresno was one of our better wins.

When you look at few analytics, when MN won, they were one of the best teams in FBS, when they lost, one of the worse. Gopher fans have attributed a lot of that to Smith, and I think rightfully so. Some of that is youth.

Fans of lower conferences look past gophers, I get it, we're not a powerhouse. We've lost to G5 teams, hell, 3 games to FCS teams I can remember, NDSU x2 and Coyotes. We've seen some bad football with Brewster, average to above average with Kill and Mason...and hoping Fleck can get us over hump

If any GSU fans are here, I usually pregrame at Stub and Herb's. Happy to say hi!

TALON to Btown.- The point is that in 2016 we had a losing season and in 2017 GSU had its worst season in its history going 2-10.

6-6 playing in the B1G while changing DCs half way through the year. Talon- I'm glad you got things on track with your new DC!

In 2018, with a new head coach, staff & basically the same players from 2017, our HC took a 2-10 2017 team and turned them into a 10-3 team in a year. We won and loss some ugly games but the growth was good and the turnaround great. As I said before the HC & OC used a limited offensive playbook last year & in the spring report the HC & OC stated the total offense was executing better than in 2018 & have added more plays from the playbook.

Our OC is also adding to our playbook, and our OL in particular really improved as season went. And that is where I think GSU will fall flat, we'll be able to wear you down and if your offense can't sustain drives, it'll get worse for you.

[B]GSU is not Fresno State & GSU fans know they have to earn, earn, earn the win[/B]

IMPORTANT -I don't think any GSU fan that has posted here has said that the Gophers were going to be a pushover or an easy win as Fresno did. I said that I thought GSU could win by 3 points if we can hold you into the last 5 minutes of the game! Remember our kicker can hit a field goal from 50 yards out!

Fine and dandy. Fresno State thought they'd kill us. So long as you come back eat crow when you lose, all is good

Agreed. Fresno state fans were predicting 38-14 and other type beat down numbers vs us. I'll admit Tedford and Fresno OC did us a few favors early, but we won 21-14. I'll even admit Fresno was one of our better wins.

When you look at few analytics, when MN won, they were one of the best teams in FBS, when they lost, one of the worse. Gopher fans have attributed a lot of that to Smith, and I think rightfully so. Some of that is youth.

Fans of lower conferences look past gophers, I get it, we're not a powerhouse. We've lost to G5 teams, hell, 3 games to FCS teams I can remember, NDSU x2 and Coyotes. We've seen some bad football with Brewster, average to above average with Kill and Mason...and hoping Fleck can get us over hump

TALON -If you have read many posts from www.gsufans.com they are not taking the gophers lightly. As a matter of fact about 70% think the Gophers will win at this point.

Our OC is also adding to our playbook, and our OL in particular really improved as season went. And that is where I think GSU will fall flat, we'll be able to wear you down and if your offense can't sustain drives, it'll get worse for you.

TALON - Could be, but I trust in GSUs defense and on the improvement on GSUs hopefully improved offense.

Last edited:

Werts freshman year and the 3rd game that he started. If you saw that score you would also know that the week before New Hampshire won by a score of 22-12.

As I understand it the Gophers replaced the defensive coordinator last season due to defensive production during the middle of the season. During the 2017 season Georgia Southern replaced the head coach due to offensive production.

Every game we played last season was with a freshman QB, so I guess we’ll just forget about all of our losses too. Yes, the defense looked like a completely different team immediately after the change. Look at the Illinois box score, and then look at Purdue game the very next week.

With Robb Smith against a sh!t team: https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401012812

The very next week against a better team, without Robb Smith: https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401013333

After the firing, they gave up 10,15,24,10 points in their remaining games. The 24 was against Northwestern, who won the Big 10 West.

Every game we played last season was with a freshman QB, so I guess we’ll just forget about all of our losses too. Yes, the defense looked like a completely different team immediately after the change. Look at the Illinois box score, and then look at Purdue game the very next week.

With Robb Smith against a sh!t team: https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401012812

The very next week against a better team, without Robb Smith: https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401013333

After the firing, they gave up 10,15,24,10 points in their remaining games. The 24 was against Northwestern, who won the Big 10 West.

8 of those 15 were in garbage time too

TALON - Just goes to show you what a good coach & players that well follow instructions can execute & win!

Just like what happened last year with GSU with a new HC and Staff.

Last edited:

PitinoFan to Valley -Every game we played last season was with a freshman QB, so I guess we’ll just forget about all of our losses too. Yes, the defense looked like a completely different team immediately after the change. Look at the Illinois box score, and then look at Purdue game the very next week.

TALON - You never forget your losses you learn from them and use them as a measuring stick for other games.
The Gophers offense got better over time and you had to hire a new DC to git things strait.

In 2018 GSU hired a new HC and staff and it was working out over the season. Our Coaching staff and players are intact and should develop more this year because of coaching consistency.

Last edited:

^

True, the impact of coaching changes aren’t always immediately apparent, but I’ve never seen such stark difference in a team as we saw between pre Robb Smith firing and post Robb Smith firing ...to go from bottom feeder defense to looking like one of the top defenses in the conference overnight is crazy.

I just Googled Robb Smith. He’s now a linebacker coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Maybe he’ll be fine as long as he’s not designing the game plan.

Last edited:

^

True, the impact of coaching changes aren’t always immediately apparent, but I’ve never seen such stark difference in a team as we saw between pre Robb Smith and post Robb Smith...to go from bottom feeder defense to looking like one of the top defenses in the conference overnight is crazy.
I just Googled Robb Smith. He’s now a linebacker coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Maybe he’ll be fine as long as he’s not designing the game plan.

TALON-GSU had an NFL coach come in to GSU and he destroyed our team. Van Goyder! He lasted 1 year. Put the GSU fans down and the team. No GSU fan likes to speak of him!

My god...

I was just going to stop in and say hi to Minnesota fans and maybe ask where I should eat/tailgate, and then I see this thread. What did you guys let Talon do to you?

My god...

I was just going to stop in and say hi to Minnesota fans and maybe ask where I should eat/tailgate, and then I see this thread. What did you guys let Talon do to you?

TALON just moved right on in an set up shop on this thread.

My god...

CC Eagle

A few pages back a Gopher fan put up a nice gril and bar where you could meet him and some other Gopher fans at.

I'm sure that because youre not TALON, they would guide you to a nice meet and great at some grill if you asked.

My god...

Talon is alright. He just likes it here!:D

Ask away. We will do our best to give advice on what to do and see.

Talon is alright. He just likes it here!:D

Ask away. We will do our best to give advice on what to do and see.

Thank you STPgopher.

I'm sure a lot of gopher fans could put up a Grill and bars for a meet and greet for GSU fans.

99% of the GSU fans that will fly to Minnesota will be older GSU fans that are reasonable, want to have fun, meet and greet and watch a good game.

If any of you Gopher fans would like a meet and greet just post it in this thread or PM me and Ill take it to www.gsufans.com!

Of course I, TALON, wont be able to make it. I really am a nice guy and dont talk trash at an oppenents events. Still I'm sure you will miss me!

:cool:

Last edited:

My god...

Before game I prefer Stub herbs by stadium, we don't have great options overall.

Sally's is ok.

Food can be challenging gamedays. Get there early or eat little further out.

Closest to stadium, in my personal preference

Stub and herbs
Sally's
Buffalo wild wings ( they raise beer prices gamedays)
Alumni center
Applebee's (I've never gone, but is an option)

Gopher goal line club has tailgate, but, I've never seen visitor fans, but I usually make one trip year

https://www.goallineclub.org/glc-events/

Before game I prefer Stub herbs by stadium, we don't have great options overall.
Sally's is ok.
Food can be challenging gamedays. Get there early or eat little further out.

I'm going to wait a few days to post your suggestions on our board to see if anyone else replies. It would be nice if you could tell me what times you will be their and how far from the stadium your watering hole is.

I'm going to wait a few days to post your suggestions on our board to see if anyone else replies. It would be nice if you could tell me what times you will be their and how far from the stadium your watering hole is.

All are within easy walking distance (you can see stadium from all) I usually get there about 2-3 hours before kick off

Dinkytown is bit further out (few blocks), but there are few bars out the that way I didn't mention.

I forgot about bar luchador, I put that ahead of Applebee's. Street tacos and beer, decent place

All are within easy walking distance (you can see stadium from all) I usually get there about 2-3 hours before kick off

Dinkytown is bit further out (few blocks), but there are few bars out the that way I didn't mention.

I forgot about bar luchador, I put that ahead of Applebee's. Street tacos and beer, decent place

THANKS

Top Bottom