Georgia Souther Uni. vs Gophers

What makes you so confident your offense can score like that? Your offense struggled big time against teams like New Hampshire and Texas St, what makes you think they will light it up against a Big10 defense that has several future nfl players.

We both put up 48 points vs NMSU last year

so obviouly they're just as good offensively as us

Of course they gave up 31 to NMSU and we gave up 10

but still

There should be a wager between Minnesota and Georgia Southern. If Minnesota wins, they send the U a case of peaches. If Georgia Southern wins, we send them a case of lutefisk.

What makes you so confident your offense can score like that? Your offense struggled big time against teams like New Hampshire and Texas St, what makes you think they will light it up against a Big10 defense that has several future nfl players.

We will definitely have to have GREAT day on offense to put up 30+ because your defense will have more talent than most others we face this year. But cherry-picking a game from the worst season in our football history probably isn't a great place to start when evaluating our offense. I think most teams lay a few eggs every season and last year was year one in a new offensive scheme with a sophomore QB. I'd be happy to bring up your near 30 point loss to a crappy Maryland team if you want to play this game.

As someone else brought up the key to this game will be your huge OL. We are usually mismatched on the LOS because of how we recruit, but your line is much larger than any we will face this year. But don't discredit our defense - both of our starting corners are projected NFL draftees this year so I'm excited to watch those position battles on the outside.

You do have some smart people over there, and StatesboroBluesman is one of them. Not only has PJ faced GSU twice, but he beat two Big 10 teams in 2016 (as head coach at Western Michigan) and lost a competitive game to Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl. He understands that G5 teams can pull off upsets over P5 teams. He’d be the last guy to overlook a G5 team, because that’s where he came from, as a player and a coach.

——

StatesboroBluesman
Default Re: And some say we really don't have a chance against Gophers

P.J. Fleck has faced us twice, so I would imagine we are not being overlooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

We will definitely have to have GREAT day on offense to put up 30+ because your defense will have more talent than most others we face this year. But cherry-picking a game from the worst season in our football history probably isn't a great place to start when evaluating our offense. I think most teams lay a few eggs every season and last year was year one in a new offensive scheme with a sophomore QB. I'd be happy to bring up your near 30 point loss to a crappy Maryland team if you want to play this game.

As someone else brought up the key to this game will be your huge OL. We are usually mismatched on the LOS because of how we recruit, but your line is much larger than any we will face this year. But don't discredit our defense - both of our starting corners are projected NFL draftees this year so I'm excited to watch those position battles on the outside.

One of our WR's is projected top 100 draft pick, Bateman is on that trajectory

I just don't think GSU can match up with us on defense and we're not going to turn the ball over like you guys are used too. I think you'll need to load box up and our WR's can burn you.

Our defense locked down after switching D Coordinators. Rob Smith was a failed DC at Arkansas and we suddenly gave him the job?

I only see GSU winning if they create a turnovers, and I don't think that'll happen. I think GSU gets 2-4 scores, and I'm counting some of those to be FG

Gophers 34 GSU 17

I don't see how GSU will stop our run game.
I envision several runs of 20 yards or more.

This seems like a 38-9 Gopher win that doesn't feel that close.

Defensive coordinator issues aside....the Maryland loss was bad, but that crappy team also beat Texas and took Ohio State to OT. They still put a decent amount of talent on the field. Any Big 10 team can beat any other Big 10 team on any given Saturday....well, except for Rutgers. A perfect example is Purdue destroying Ohio State and then getting destroyed by Minneota a couple weeks later. There are no easy games in this conference.

Last edited:

Here’s the full game video of the last time PJ Fleck faced GSU.

https://youtu.be/8PMrhABbGqY

That's under the worst coach in the history of our program. Please disregard.

It's very possible you guys beat us by multiple scores. We have yet to take a snap this season so projections are exactly that. I'm just saying people have a tendency to focus on our offense when in reality our defense is probably the strength of this team.

We had our hiccups last year but all in all were pretty good on that side of the ball.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

That's under the worst coach in the history of our program. Please disregard.

It's very possible you guys beat us by multiple scores. We have yet to take a snap this season so projections are exactly that. I'm just saying people have a tendency to focus on our offense when in reality our defense is probably the strength of this team.

We had our hiccups last year but all in all were pretty good on that side of the ball.

Very true some fans are even saying that this years team could have the best defense that Georgia Southern has ever put on the field.

In 2017 under 3 different Head Coaches GSU had its worst season in its history at 2-10. In 2018 under a new HC GSU went 10-3 and won a low level bowl game. I think thats a huge comeback with the same players.

As I stated in other posts our current HC said we used a basic offensive play book in 2018. During spring practice the HC & OC stated that the total offense was superior in execution and more advanced as far as the offensive scheme. Our DEFENSE will be fine!

AND THEIR YOU HAVE IT btown.

TALON

www.gsufans.com

Last edited:

In 2017 under 3 different Head Coaches GSU had its worst season in its history at 2-10. In 2018 under a new HC GSU went 10-3 and won a low level bowl game. I think thats a huge comeback with the same players.

As I stated in other posts our current HC said we used a basic offensive play book in 2018. During spring practice the HC & OC stated that the total offense was superior in execution and more advanced as far as the offensive scheme. Our DEFENSE will be fine!

AND THEIR YOU HAVE IT btown.

TALON

www.gsufans.com

You aren't going from basic to light years ahead a few games into a new year.

I'm not cherry picking. You're offense wasn't good last year, you struggled against the top half of the Sun Belt for the most part. The only team with a pulse that your offense hung 30+ on was an app st team playing 2 back up QBs that turned the ball over a bunch.

You aren't going from basic to light years ahead a few games into a new year.

Yet you were 6-6 regular season last year & GSU doesn't need to go warp speed to catch the Gophers!

Although on paper the gophers had all the right players on offense they only went 6-6 in the regular season.

Last edited:

Yet you were 6-6 regular season last year & GSU doesn't need to go warp speed to catch the Gophers!

6-6 playing in the B1G while changing DCs half way through the year, playing with our 3rd and 4th string RBs most of the year and playing half the year with a true frosh qb and the other half with a redshirt freshman who had no experience. The team clearly improved a lot in the second half, so there is actual evidence that the gophers will be light years ahead of where they were at the beginning of 2018. There is no evidence that GSU's offense will somehow make massive strides at the very beginning of year 2 in this system, there is only hope.

Although on paper the gophers had all the right players on offense they only went 6-6 in the regular season.

Dude, including the two QBs, we had 9 Freshman play a significant role on offense (some of that due to injury), and still averaged over 27 points per game. On paper, we should have struggled against everyone except New Mexico St and Miami of Ohio.

6-6 playing in the B1G while changing DCs half way through the year, playing with our 3rd and 4th string RBs most of the year and playing half the year with a true frosh qb and the other half with a redshirt freshman who had no experience. The team clearly improved a lot in the second half, so there is actual evidence that the gophers will be light years ahead of where they were at the beginning of 2018. There is no evidence that GSU's offense will somehow make massive strides at the very beginning of year 2 in this system, there is only hope.

How long have you been in the BIG. Your current coach took over from a winning coach and yet in the last 2 years you cant break 6-6 in the regular season. What happened in 2017?

Last edited:

How long have you been in the BIG. Your current coach took over from a winning coach and yet in the last 2 years you cant break 6-6 in the regular season. What happened in 2017?

1896. Charter member. Our history dates back 1882

originally one of dominant football programs in college football. 7 national titles, 18 conference titles.

As mentioned very early in this thread transition from Claeys to PJ is controversial. 2017 we didn't have a QB and other issue with transition to new offense. Last year was up down, many gopher fans think 3-1 finish is signs of things to come.

Had we had GSU schedule, 10-2 regular season easy.

It's true, we're middling B1G team, those are typically better then the best sun belt teams

You keep talking growth in GSU but assume MN won't be better. We're returning a lot of production, as we were one of, if not youngest (depending on metric), and they have another year under their belt.

Your schtick is cute, but GSU would be one of worst teams in B1G. I get it we're not dominate, but if we struggle with GSU the gophers will have regressed

I'm not cherry picking. You're offense wasn't good last year, you struggled against the top half of the Sun Belt for the most part. The only team with a pulse that your offense hung 30+ on was an app st team playing 2 back up QBs that turned the ball over a bunch.
Picking 2 of the worst games we've played in the last two seasons is the very definition of cherry picking. Again, we will be outmatched at several positions but I have faith we can pull out a W. Specifically because I think all around we will be a much better team than last season.

Last edited:

Picking 2 of the worst games we've played in the last two seasons is the very definition of cherry picking. Again we will be outmatched at several positions but I have faith we can pull out a W.

Fine and dandy. Fresno State thought they'd kill us. So long as you come back eat crow when you lose, all is good

Fine and dandy. Fresno State thought they'd kill us. So long as you come back eat crow when you lose, all is good
Why would I eat crow? I haven't talked any trash. You guys are the ones getting defensive as if you're threatened by us.

Why would I eat crow? I haven't talked any trash. You guys are the ones getting defensive as if you're threatened by us.

I don’t think anyone is threatened. Some are annoyed, others are amused. I think it helps pass the time, tbh. It’s fine.

P.S. Plenty are annoyed with it on the GSU board.

I find it amusing, nothing else going on and kills time. My comment was light hearted.

GSU is one of our 3 easiest games and least important.

I commend Talon for keeping this going

Talon, the MN fan base is a little thin skinned due to their recent struggles on the gridiron. You don’t have to say much, just showing up from a lesser conference is enough to get a reaction. My money is on MN in this game, but if GaSo is fortunate enough to win, the protocol is to exit the stadium quietly lest you shame your fan base as arrogant.

Talon, the MN fan base is a little thin skinned due to their recent struggles on the gridiron. You don’t have to say much, just showing up from a lesser conference is enough to get a reaction. My money is on MN in this game, but if GaSo is fortunate enough to win, the protocol is to exit the stadium quietly lest you shame your fan base as arrogant.

Still trying figure out why you post here?

Picking 2 of the worst games we've played in the last two seasons is the very definition of cherry picking. Again, we will be outmatched at several positions but I have faith we can pull out a W. Specifically because I think all around we will be a much better team than last season.

I then expanded it to your entire schedule last year, so even if I don't pick your two worst games my point still stands. You didn't score 30+ against anyone with a pulse other than a Appy St squad playing their 2nd and 3rd string QBs who imploded. There's no reason to believe GSU will score 30+ on the gophers unless GSU has like a +4 or more turnover advantage.

Top Bottom