Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    Which larger schools at the D3 level suck at multiple sports?

And keep in mind, the largest schools at D3 are largely public schools that make basically no commitment to sports whatsoever. But most of the large public D3 schools are still pretty good at some sports, they just limit the amount of sports they offer and tend to be better at the ones that require more student-athletes.
    I'll let you do the research. Just go to the WIAC and see how well Wisconsin Stout or Wisconsin Platteville have done. Look at Eau Claire, Superior, etc.
    If enrollment is so crucial, explain how a small school like Duke is so successful. I believe there are a handful of MIAC schools with larger enrollment.
    I don't buy into the idea that enrollment is a major factor. I do accept that school wealth and resources play a significant factor.

Success breeds contempt

MIAC champions of the 21st Century:

2018 - St. John's
    2017 - St. Thomas
    2016 - St. Thomas
    2015 - St. Thomas
    2014 - St. John's
    2013 - Bethel
    2012 - St. Thomas
    2011 - St. Thomas
    2010 - St. Thomas
    2009 - St. John's
    2008 - St. John's
    2007 - Bethel
    2006 - St. John's/Bethel
    2005 - St. John's
    2004 - Concordia
    2003 - St. John's
    2002 - St. John's
    2001 - St. John's/Bethel
    2000 - Bethel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnes...ference_titles

I decided to go back and look at the MIAC champions since the turn of the century. I wanted to see how successful St. Thomas was since I don't know a single thing about the MIAC. Why isn't St. John's being talked about as well? They seem to have a pretty successful football program as well.

In a vacuum St Thomas would seem like the perfect fit to be a non-football playing D1 basketball school like a lot of other Catholic Universities around the country. But football is the big sport now, and I think they would be very reluctant to let it go.

Moving to DII just probably gives them higher travel costs against schools their fans are less interested in playing. And with the struggles of non-Power 5 DI football teams, it's hard to see them trying to field a D1 football team.

That said, it probably be great for the Northern Sun conference to have a school in the Twin Cities that people actually cared about, not Concordia a school with a basically invisible alumni base in the area. Having schools like Duluth, St Cloud and Mankato play games against a name opponent in the Cities could really increase interest.

Yeah, Mac just isn't a sports school. I know several former Macalester football players and most of them probably wouldn't have been starters on most of the good local high school teams. Several chose Mac because it was really their only opportunity to play college football.

It's just that St. Thomas is an odd fit with the MIAC. Much larger in terms of enrollment (and yes, that matters in D3 sports) and spend a lot more money on athletics than the other schools. The other schools have different philosophies when it comes to athletics and it is becoming increasingly clear that UST isn't a good fit. There is nothing wrong with the way UST approaches things, it just doesn't align with the rest of the conference.

Carleton, Macalester, and St. Olaf have been looking into forming an athletics conference with the other ACM schools (Luther, Grinnell, Cornell, Coe, Ripon, Lawrence, Beloit, Lake Forest, Knox, Monmouth, and Colorado College) for years and the only hold-up is that they'd have to travel 3-4 hours to most schools vs the 45 min or less commute they have to most right now. If there isn't a change made I could see the MIAC breaking up in the coming years.
    They are such an odd fit in the conference that they helped found the conference!

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Man View Post
    Will not happen. That conversation happens outside the university once in a while and people with no connection think its a good idea. Few if any in the university have the same idea. It's a massive undertaking in time and money that they don't, understandably, want to invest. St. Cloud, Duluth, and Mankato would be far better candidates for mid-major D-1 sports than St. Thomas.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by GG Allen View Post
    In a vacuum St Thomas would seem like the perfect fit to be a non-football playing D1 basketball school like a lot of other Catholic Universities around the country. But football is the big sport now, and I think they would be very reluctant to let it go.

Moving to DII just probably gives them higher travel costs against schools their fans are less interested in playing. And with the struggles of non-Power 5 DI football teams, it's hard to see them trying to field a D1 football team.

That said, it probably be great for the Northern Sun conference to have a school in the Twin Cities that people actually cared about, not Concordia a school with a basically invisible alumni base in the area. Having schools like Duluth, St Cloud and Mankato play games against a name opponent in the Cities could really increase interest.
    St Thomas has no desire to become a slightly better Concordia st paul

How about becoming D2 and joining the NSIC when Augustana goes D1?

I'd bet the MIAC would be willing to keep Tommie hockey and men's soccer if it meant the rest of the UST athletic teams moving up to D2. I think they'd be successful there in many sports.

It's really more like the parents of a 24 year-old who has a good job are telling their kid it's time to move out. You can still come home to do laundry and get a good home cooked meal every now and then (aka keep your hockey and men's soccer in the MIAC), but you've outgrown us and it's time.
    Why should st Thomas make a stupid financial decision to make some other schools feel better?

Because in D3 it is more about school values. It's a completely different world than D1 in that respect. D3 teams want to compete against their peers. St. Thomas isn't really comparable to the other MIAC schools in most ways. Other than location they don't have a lot in common.
    For sure, other than being one of the schools that started the conference they really donít fit in

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    I'll let you do the research. Just go to the WIAC and see how well Wisconsin Stout or Wisconsin Platteville have done. Look at Eau Claire, Superior, etc.
    If enrollment is so crucial, explain how a small school like Duke is so successful. I believe there are a handful of MIAC schools with larger enrollment.
    I don't buy into the idea that enrollment is a major factor. I do accept that school wealth and resources play a significant factor.
    The D3 WIAC schools put as little financial resources as possible into their athletic programs. They are actually a good example of why enrollment matters. Some of the smallest budgets in D3. Most of their coaches arenít even full-time. UW-Oshkosh folded their menís soccer program a couple years ago even though it was one of the best in the region. State budget cuts forced the school to get rid of it

Duke is a D1 school which is a completely different world.

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    They are such an odd fit in the conference that they helped found the conference!
    That was 100 years ago. The University of Chicago was in the B1G back then. Things change

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    For sure, other than being one of the schools that started the conference they really don’t fit in

What happened 100 years ago is irrelevant. UMD was in the MIAC and realized it was time to grow up. Time for St. Thomas to do the same

They should be D1

What happened 100 years ago is irrelevant. UMD was in the MIAC and realized it was time to grow up. Time for St. Thomas to do the same
    You sure love spending other people’s money