STrib: MIAC rivals plot ouster of St. Thomas

You have no idea what kind of outreach or tone the UST administration has communicated with to other MIAC schools.

UST has ambition, something this market is often suspicious of. They want to grow into something bigger while St. Olaf and many others within the MIAC want to stay the same. Both approaches are fine, so long as stakeholders are being served.

Signing up to be an MIAC member shouldn’t consign one to an eternity of sameness. That’s actually pretty ridiculous to me.

UND comp is horrendous. I’d delete that if I were you. That’s a school that was behind the times and not understanding the impact a name can have on a community. UST’s model is progressive, by MIAC standards. Would love to see Bethel follow suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If UST has ambition, this is sure a funny way to show it. What they demonstrated is more like living in your parents basement and refusing to leave until they kick you out of the house. This is ambition? If I desired to leave the MIAC, I could sure think of a lot of better ways to standup and leave. Kinda chicken-**** if this is all orchestrated.

The comp is lack of self awareness, and no I’ll share my opinion without deleting.

If UST has ambition, this is sure a funny way to show it. What they demonstrated is more like living in your parents basement and refusing to leave until they kick you out of the house. This is ambition? If I desired to leave the MIAC, I could sure think of a lot of better ways to standup and leave. Kinda chicken-**** if this is all orchestrated.

The comp is lack of self awareness, and no IÂ’ll share my opinion without deleting.

The irony of an ndsu fan ripping on st Thomas for dominating a lower division

I'm sure somewhere in the 19 pages of this thread this has been covered, but it just boils down to values. UST values athletics much more than the rest. The other schools see athletics much like 13th grade, or an extension of HS varsity athletics. UST wants to invest in their athletics, build facilities, lowers admission standards for athletes & wants to win Natty's. Nothing wrong with either set of values, they're just different. When all the hand wringing is over, this should be better for everyone.

I'm sure somewhere in the 19 pages of this thread this has been covered, but it just boils down to values. UST values athletics much more than the rest. The other schools see athletics much like 13th grade, or an extension of HS varsity athletics. UST wants to invest in their athletics, build facilities, lowers admission standards for athletes & wants to win Natty's. Nothing wrong with either set of values, they're just different. When all the hand wringing is over, this should be better for everyone.

Huzzah! This is not the end of the MIAC, and it is not the end of St. Thomas. It's the start of a new journey for both, and good luck to all.

Who knows - in 15 years or so, we could be getting ready for the first St. Thomas vs Gophers football game.

per Shooter:

Should the University of St. Thomas, squeezed out of the Division III Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, decide to upgrade to Divison II, the Tommies’ budget will increase from $5 million a year to $20 million annually.

Meanwhile, it wouldn’t be surprising if St. Thomas, which is allowed to remain in the MIAC for the next two years, instead decides to move out after the next school year.

Believe it or not, there has been a buzz that one MIAC school president wants to establish a Division IV for schools less inclined for elite competition.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/...s-in-market-for-dallas-keuchel-craig-kimbrel/

Go Gophers!!

The comp is lack of self awareness, and no IÂ’ll share my opinion without deleting.

I take it you didn’t get into UST and had to go to NDSU instead. I’m sure that has led to all this venom...but there are better channels to work through this kind of stuff.

And the ambition comment was based on them becoming a leading regional university with a liberal arts background but with strong offerings in business and STEM. I’d say they’ve been exceedingly successful at that, which curiously seems to be causing you to become unglued.

Back in the hole, progress!

Last edited:

I take it you didn’t get into UST and had to go to NDSU instead. I’m sure that has led to all this venom...but there are better channels to work through this kind of stuff.

And the ambition comment was based on them becoming a leading regional university with a liberal arts background but with strong offerings in business and STEM. I’d say they’ve been exceedingly successful at that, which curiously seems to be causing you to become unglued.

Back in the hole, progress!

Venom? Not at all. Just giving some objective feedback as I observe their method of exit. You must be the one with a wall of ust degrees who is incapable of an objective thought on the situation. I had barely heard of the university til I moved to the TC. So no, I didn’t go there, apply to there, or desire to go there. Just can’t believe the method they are using to exit a conference, and that it is garnering sympathy. NDSU and SDSU left the NCC after 80+ years, doing so on their terms, communicating to all members, and announcing their intentions. UST left by being victims? Typical 2019 stuff I guess.

Last edited:

Ripping on them for winning? No, not at all. For the Chicken-**** way of exiting, yes.

You think getting kicked out is chicken?

You want them to just voluntarily do something that is a pain in the butt for them?

You think getting kicked out is chicken?

You want them to just voluntarily do something that is a pain in the butt for them?

The train is coming, been blowing it’s whistle for a couple of years. The tracks are vibrating due to the impending train. So you curl up on the tracks and get run over, instead of getting out of the way to set a new path?

The train is coming, been blowing it’s whistle for a couple of years. The tracks are vibrating due to the impending train. So you curl up on the tracks and get run over, instead of getting out of the way to set a new path?

Are you an advocate of suicide then? We are all going to die eventually anyways.

No I’m not. I was encouraging UST to NOT sit there and get run over.

per Shooter:

Now it looks like St. Thomas, ousted by the MIAC, will not appeal for an exemption to expedite entry to Division I, and that the university probably will end up in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, which wants the Tommies. That option has made the most sense since St. Thomas was booted out of the MIAC in May and will make for a stronger WIAC.

By the way, a logical place for St. Thomas would have been the Western Collegiate Hockey Association for its men’s and women’s programs had the university decided to go to Division I.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/06/charley-walters-future-looks-bright-for-minnesotas-3m-open/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Now it looks like St. Thomas, ousted by the MIAC, will not appeal for an exemption to expedite entry to Division I, and that the university probably will end up in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, which wants the Tommies. That option has made the most sense since St. Thomas was booted out of the MIAC in May and will make for a stronger WIAC.

By the way, a logical place for St. Thomas would have been the Western Collegiate Hockey Association for its men’s and women’s programs had the university decided to go to Division I.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/06/charley-walters-future-looks-bright-for-minnesotas-3m-open/

Go Gophers!!

Seems like a step backwards for ST. It might be the best fit available, but it's not a good fit. They'll be the only private school in the conference. Academically, the MIAC is way better than the WIAC.

Venom? Not at all. Just giving some objective feedback as I observe their method of exit. You must be the one with a wall of ust degrees who is incapable of an objective thought on the situation. I had barely heard of the university til I moved to the TC. So no, I didn’t go there, apply to there, or desire to go there. Just can’t believe the method they are using to exit a conference, and that it is garnering sympathy. NDSU and SDSU left the NCC after 80+ years, doing so on their terms, communicating to all members, and announcing their intentions. UST left by being victims? Typical 2019 stuff I guess.

I think you are trying to attribute the bigger is better, grow or die corporate value system to a liberal arts college, I think the MIAC is where they always wanted to and still want to be, if that is part of your core values why choose to leave until you are forced to, I sure don't blame other MIAC member schools for their part in it though but I think Minnesota has lost a piece of itself in the process, so many have some type of connection to the MIAC and it's members.

I think you are trying to attribute the bigger is better, grow or die corporate value system to a liberal arts college, I think the MIAC is where they always wanted to and still want to be, if that is part of your core values why choose to leave until you are forced to, I sure don't blame other MIAC member schools for their part in it though but I think Minnesota has lost a piece of itself in the process, so many have some type of connection to the MIAC and it's members.

At the end of the day, we’re still talking about very small schools with very high tuitions. They do a great job with scholarships ... but they’re still by and large elitist institutions.

Far fewer Minnesotans have ties to them than they do to MN public higher education institutions.

per Shooter:

Now there’s talk that if St. Thomas, ousted by the Division III Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, were to move up one class, it could play home football games at Allianz Field in St. Paul. The Tommies will host rival St. John’s in an anticipated sellout Oct. 19 at the 19,400-seat Allianz, home of the Minnesota United soccer team.

Meanwhile, the Division III Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference still seems most probable for St. Thomas. Some insiders, though, feel Division I could still be in the future. St. Thomas, after recently hiring two assistant athletics directors, has stepped up its national fund-raising, visiting alumni across the country.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/20/charley-walters-twins-weigh-options-as-trade-deadline-nears/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

A little birdie says St. Thomas, ousted by the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Association, could end up in the Division I Pioneer League for football and the Division I Summit League for its other sports. The university recently hired two assistant athletics directors.

Speaking of MIAC football, the only school interested in playing St. John’s in a nonconference game in 2020 is national Division III power Mary Hardin-Baylor (Texas) in a home-and-home series, but travel expenses would be $50,000.

Carleton College has signed a multiyear athletics apparel deal with Under Armour for its 20 varsity teams.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/...re-wins-is-part-of-the-deal-for-twins-pohlad/

Go Gophers!!

Augustana and St Thomas, if it comes to pass, will be nice additions to the Summit League in bball and other mainstream olympic sports.

Top Bottom