STrib: MIAC rivals plot ouster of St. Thomas

STrib: If MIAC drops St. Thomas, the Tommies' options are complicated

Can St. Thomas move directly to Division I?

No. NCAA spokesperson Meghan Durham confirmed that Division III schools must first reclassify to Division II, then to Division I.

“Generally speaking, the process to reclassify from Division III to Division I would be a 12-year window from start to finish,” Durham said.

It takes three years for schools to fully transition from D-III to D-II. The NCAA requires that schools remain a full member of D-II for at least five years before making the next move up the ladder. Reclassification from D-II to D-I entails a four-year transition period, plus an offer of membership from a conference, before attaining full D-I status.

If St. Thomas chooses to move to Division II, how would that happen?

The Tommies would notify the NCAA by Feb. 1, and their application would be reviewed at the D-II Membership Committee’s summer meeting. If it is approved, the first year as a provisional member would begin on or about Sept. 1.

During the first year, St. Thomas would begin complying with most D-II rules. In the second year, St. Thomas must fully comply with all D-II legislation. If it has satisfied all conditions at the end of the three-year period — and if it has been accepted into a D-II conference — St. Thomas would move into full D-II membership.

http://www.startribune.com/if-miac-drops-st-thomas-the-tommies-options-are-complicated/509992312/

Go Gophers!!

^^^ excellent reporting. Just straight facts, no BS opinion. Blount did a great job.

There is no news to be broken. It was just an accounting of facts surrounding their options. Refreshing

I would argue since there is no news to report, they shouldn’t have written the article

I would argue since there is no news to report, they shouldn’t have written the article

LOL you can often say this about many articles.

They don’t make money by not saying stuff about things people care about. What can ya do?

I thought one of the most interesting nuggets in the article was the fact that St. Thomas' athletic budget is actually higher than the athletic budget for D2 SW MN State University in Marshall.

Also - the article raised the possibility that St. Thomas could stay in D3 and try to join the WIAC (Wisconsin D3 conference).

So - IF St. Thomas does leave the MIAC - willingly or otherwise - it appears their choices are try to join another D3 Conference, or go D2. going D3 independent would create too many scheduling problems. It may all come down to whether the WIAC would accept St. Thomas as a member.

I thought one of the most interesting nuggets in the article was the fact that St. Thomas' athletic budget is actually higher than the athletic budget for D2 SW MN State University in Marshall.

Also - the article raised the possibility that St. Thomas could stay in D3 and try to join the WIAC (Wisconsin D3 conference).

So - IF St. Thomas does leave the MIAC - willingly or otherwise - it appears their choices are try to join another D3 Conference, or go D2. going D3 independent would create too many scheduling problems. It may all come down to whether the WIAC would accept St. Thomas as a member.

I mean, there is the UMAC and there is the American Rivers in Iowa, as well. Don’t know if any of those are realistic or not.

Upper Iowa actually came from the American Rivers, and is in the N Sun now.

LOL you can often say this about many articles.

They don’t make money by not saying stuff about things people care about. What can ya do?

I agree with this. Which is why I don’t like the star tribune. They are just reporting rumors regarding the MIAC. The guy “breaking” the “story” is a columnist not a reporter. They still don’t have a single source on the record with them let alone two

I agree with this. Which is why I don’t like the star tribune. They are just reporting rumors regarding the MIAC. The guy “breaking” the “story” is a columnist not a reporter. They still don’t have a single source on the record with them let alone two

What are you talking about? Haha Time to give up your argument

Pretty sure Rachel Blount's not a guy

Any chance it was lazy journalism ? Does she understand what is involved in funding schools in the UW system, pensions for coaches and staff ? Plus, did they not just crush UWEC in football by 70 last fall !

Pretty sure Rachel Blount's not a guy

The guy who originally drummed up this story wasn’t Blount, it was Ruesse.

And other than being wrong about the April vote we know no more now than we did when the story broke in early to mid April

So nice reporting strib. It’s clickbait and I’ve fallen for it.

What they are doing is trying to (unsuccessfully) smoke out an actual story.

The guy who originally drummed up this story wasn’t Blount, it was Ruesse.

And other than being wrong about the April vote we know no more now than we did when the story broke in early to mid April

So nice reporting strib. It’s clickbait and I’ve fallen for it.

What they are doing is trying to (unsuccessfully) smoke out an actual story.

Actually, we do know more. The e-mails from the Augsburg President have been reported, giving an insight into the MIAC Presidents and how they view the situation. As far as Reusse, he has said that he has spoken off the record to several conference coaches to get their point of view. That's how this whole thing started - a conference coach called Reusse and blew the whistle on what was happening. Presumably, the coach in question was not in favor of the proposal. and - let's face it - in news or sports - most sources are not named because that's the only way they will speak to the media. virtually every story out of Washington has something like "members of the administration spoke on condition of anonymity..."

Actually, we do know more. The e-mails from the Augsburg President have been reported, giving an insight into the MIAC Presidents and how they view the situation. As far as Reusse, he has said that he has spoken off the record to several conference coaches to get their point of view. That's how this whole thing started - a conference coach called Reusse and blew the whistle on what was happening. Presumably, the coach in question was not in favor of the proposal. and - let's face it - in news or sports - most sources are not named because that's the only way they will speak to the media. virtually every story out of Washington has something like "members of the administration spoke on condition of anonymity..."

Wait, so somebody knows what’s going to happen? They should probably break it because they would have a major scoop.
Wait, they don’t know

Wait, so somebody knows what’s going to happen? They should probably break it because they would have a major scoop.
Wait, they don’t know

Read the email again. Pribbenow is talking about the decision in the past tense. He's not saying "nothing has been decided and we will continue to advocate for the Tommies in future meetings."

Read the email again. Pribbenow is talking about the decision in the past tense. He's not saying "nothing has been decided and we will continue to advocate for the Tommies in future meetings."

Perfect. If you’re right then it has been decided and it will be easy to get someone on the record.

Perfect. If you’re right then it has been decided and it will be easy to get someone on the record.

You've not been paying attention at all if you think any of the Presidents wants to talk on record. They're under no obligation to and I really doubt they could possibly put any positive spin on this.

Tommies are out of the miac. Any thoughts about the strib now from those of you who didn’t like how they were reporting on this story?

per Shooter:

New athletics option for Division III University of St. Thomas could be the Division I Summit League, which includes South Dakota State, South Dakota and North Dakota State.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/18/charley-walters-rocco-baldelli-says-his-twins-deserve-an-a/

Go Gophers!!

I don't know if this article mentions this, but I believe St Thomas has to go the D2 route before they can make the jump to D1. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will let me know, but I don't think you can from D3 straight to D1.

From Reusse's Strib article:

“St. Thomas expended tremendous effort to remain in the MIAC and stabilize the conference,” St. Thomas President Julie Sullivan said in an e-mail to alumni. “However, the presidents came to a consensus that the conference itself would cease to exist in its current form if St. Thomas remained.

That's it in a nutshell. St. Thomas stays - conference folds with multiple schools leaving. St. Thomas leaves - rest of conference stays intact.

the presidents had to choose between the wishes of one school versus the wishes of multiple schools. and this not being Star Trek: Wrath of Kahn, the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few, or the one.

And - to Winona Gopher - I saw someone on another thread claiming that St. Thomas could petition the NCAA for permission to jump directly to D1 because they were forced out of their current conference. I have no idea if that's accurate, but that's what the poster was claiming.

From Reusse's Strib article:

“St. Thomas expended tremendous effort to remain in the MIAC and stabilize the conference,” St. Thomas President Julie Sullivan said in an e-mail to alumni. “However, the presidents came to a consensus that the conference itself would cease to exist in its current form if St. Thomas remained.

That's it in a nutshell. St. Thomas stays - conference folds with multiple schools leaving. St. Thomas leaves - rest of conference stays intact.

the presidents had to choose between the wishes of one school versus the wishes of multiple schools. and this not being Star Trek: Wrath of Kahn, the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few, or the one.

And - to Winona Gopher - I saw someone on another thread claiming that St. Thomas could petition the NCAA for permission to jump directly to D1 because they were forced out of their current conference. I have no idea if that's accurate, but that's what the poster was claiming.

I have heard this as well from people in the UST athletic department. No idea if it is a realistic possibility, but when I saw the continued use of the word "involuntary" it made me wonder if they were correct.

The press release and FAQ from UST makes no specific mention of D1/D2/D3, simply says "changing conferences" and mentions it is possible fundraising efforts will be necessary. Didn't really tip their hand, and I have no idea what vision Esten and Sullivan have for their athletic programs.

Tommies are out of the miac. Any thoughts about the strib now from those of you who didn’t like how they were reporting on this story?

Even people not closely involved today on the in's and out's of St Thomas knew they were gone awhile ago, kind of funny at the reaction to the articles on this site.

Publishing rumors when you admit you have no sources is crappy reporting whether the rumors prove to be true or not.

So no change

Talking about rumors is nice for a message board, pretty sub par for a “news” organization.
Reminds me of their story about all the gopher players suspended for the bowl game. They aren’t reporting a story, they’re trying to smoke out a story.

Publishing rumors when you admit you have no sources is crappy reporting whether the rumors prove to be true or not.

So no change

Talking about rumors is nice for a message board, pretty sub par for a “news” organization.
Reminds me of their story about all the gopher players suspended for the bowl game. They aren’t reporting a story, they’re trying to smoke out a story.
All 13 Presidents agreed to a removal of St Thomas from the MIAC by Spring 2021. Go to the Football thread to see the documentation.

So no change

Your are confusing "no sources" with "anonymous" sources.

Top Bottom