Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Siouxfan View Post
    A national STEM university does not want to.be DIII. There are tons of liberal arts schools that are DIII, and little notoriety is gained from that. UST wants to be known more nationally instead of just Minnie. The MSP media is incapable of critical thinking. UST itself was the source of most of the MSP media stories becahse UST wants to go beyond DIII.

The MIAC isn't threatened in the least by UST staying or leaving. The MIAC admin are always a mess anyways.

UST is much more like Creighton, Marquette, Loyola Chi, or DePaul than MIAC schools and its finally acting like it soon.

MIAC schools hate the STEM and business emphasis that UST has.

Quote Originally Posted by Siouxfan View Post
    So UST hired a former DI AD. Coincidence?

So this board knows the UST strategic plan?

So we should always trust the media to know everything and ask the right questions?
    St. Olaf has an AD with a D1 background as well.

I have no idea if St. Thomas wants to go D1 or what their strategic vision is, but I don't think the fact that UST hired an AD with a D1 background means much. If UST applies for a waiver from the NCAA to move directly to D1 (not even sure if it's possible) then I might put on a tin foil hat with you.

The media isn't really asking any questions at this point. Or they aren't pushing very hard for answers, because it's D3 and they don't really care that much. The coverage has been extremely one-sided, but that's mainly because there is an easy narrative to follow and the other schools aren't really doing anything to combat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    He has no idea what he is talking about.

Meanwhile, even if it wasn’t a liberal arts school (it is), that would still have no bearing either way on what level of sport they should play
    I haven't followed this part of Siouxfan's deal either. Their academic focus has little or noting to do with the level of athletic competition.

Blog Entries

St Thomas will get major name recognition from moving to DI, including hockey. That could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising outside the Twin Cities, where it is known now. UST's growth can continue then.
    St Olaf has name recognition outside Minnie from the Golden Girls, but that is fading, and it's mostly a Hick kind of publicity.

Live in TN, and Belmont's recognition has exploded since they went DI. Nashviille and Middle Tennessee have Belmont, Vanderbilt, Lipscomb, TN St, Middle Tennessee St, Austin Peay St,,and Tn Tech down the road and all are DI. Belmont is a music industry sçhool that helps Nashville's sound. Meanwhile, Minnesota secondary and private schools are just pissing away opportunity.
    Last edited by Siouxfan; 05-29-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Just an FYI I go to UST and the hen Ed’s I need to graduate are
    3 theologies, 3 foreign language, 2 philosophies, 1 science with lab, 1 math, 1 history, and I believe like 1 fine arts and another. So yeah st Thomas is liberal arts education. However, it is most well known for engineering, business, and grad school

You guys do realize that even the U of MN requires students in College of Science and Engineering majors to take a certain amount of liberal arts courts, right?? Feel free to peruse, for example: https://cse.umn.edu/college/four-year-plans

So, yep, there you go, the University of Minnesota is really a liberal arts college, just like the University of St Thomas.

As far as DI goes, I have absolutely no idea if this "waiver" thing is legit. I guess we'll find out. My gut says no, but I also don't think it's impossible.

What I do know: both DII Northern Sun and DI Summit League would take St Thomas. As is. Zero questions asked. SO LONG as the school made the commitment to meet the minimum requirements, per the NCAA and the respective conference rules, of being at that level. There are certain minimum requirements regarding total number of scholarships offered, in DI. I'm pretty sure that's true. Not as sure on DII. But then each conference might have minimums, in the vein of ensuring a floor of competitiveness and financial commitment.

If ST has rich alumni that want a move up to happen, now is as good an opportunity as they're like to see in their lives. So either pony up, and make it happen, or deal with what happens otherwise.

As far as DIII options go, the Wisconsin conference just doesn't feel like a reasonable fit. Doesn't mean that isn't exactly what will happen. Just doesn't seem right.

American Rivers would be a better fit, but not sure if they have any interest.

Independent is off the table. And guessing UMAC is off the table.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    You guys do realize that even the U of MN requires students in College of Science and Engineering majors to take a certain amount of liberal arts courts, right?? Feel free to peruse, for example: https://cse.umn.edu/college/four-year-plans

So, yep, there you go, the University of Minnesota is really a liberal arts college, just like the University of St Thomas.
    Every college requires some but the U doesn’t to the extent of st Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Goph33 View Post
    Every college requires some but the U doesn’t to the extent of st Thomas.
    Sure.

An actual liberal arts college only offers liberal arts classes, and only offers liberal arts majors. ST is, unquestionably, not that, and wants to be the opposite of that, as it has done for some time.

Of course that doesn't prove that they shouldn't be allowed to stay in DIII, per se, but it does show that they aren't a good fit for the MIAC anymore, in conjunction with location, enrollment, etc.

Allianz Field will never be a permanent home for any team but Minnesota United FC. Bank on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4four4 View Post
    Allianz Field will never be a permanent home for any team but Minnesota United FC. Bank on it.
    Which means I will never go there.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Sure.

An actual liberal arts college only offers liberal arts classes, and only offers liberal arts majors. ST is, unquestionably, not that, and wants to be the opposite of that, as it has done for some time.

Of course that doesn't prove that they shouldn't be allowed to stay in DIII, per se, but it does show that they aren't a good fit for the MIAC anymore, in conjunction with location, enrollment, etc.
    Woah I just learned macalester and st Olaf are not liberal arts schools

Quote Originally Posted by West Fargo Gopher Fan View Post
    Went a couple weeks ago. Beautiful place and they got the craft beer flowing. Will be a great place for concerts...maybe that gets you in the doors?

Quote Originally Posted by West Fargo Gopher Fan View Post
    Also they don't have many bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Also they don't have many bathrooms.
    Cash registers or calculators?