Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    The examples you gave are also three schools that have to play Whitewater (along with each other) in conference games every year. So of course some of them are going to rack up losses when they have to play each other. They can't all win the championship every year.

Coaching, budgets, facilities, admissions standards, tradition, flexibility of player financial aid, local recruiting scene, and many other factors are in play as well to a lesser degree. But those things matter more when they are going against schools of similar size like the other UW schools.
    Well the discussion in the thread has been scholarships (wink wink “financial aid”) in DIII. I would contend that’s the main thing most schools have to offer in order to get an athlete to go there. So if you have more “financial aid” to offer an athlete, that should be an advantage. That was all I was going for. All the other stuff you just brought up, is of course important.

http://www.startribune.com/augsburg-...iac/509752432/
    It's a done deal. Tommies on the way out when they vote at the end of the month.

In an exchange with an Augsburg supporter, Pribbenow wrote that several schools have threatened to leave the MIAC in recent years. He said he wants "the MIAC to remain as whole as is possible," even if it means St. Thomas must be expelled.

"My sense is that we have reached a consensus that will keep 12 schools together in the MIAC and that we will support St. Thomas's efforts to find a new conference home," Pribbenow replied to the Augsburg supporter, who wrote to express his opposition to removing St. Thomas. "I can assure you that if we had not reached this consensus, the MIAC would have imploded, leaving all of us in a far less attractive position."

Quote Originally Posted by AO54 View Post
    http://www.startribune.com/augsburg-...iac/509752432/
    It's a done deal. Tommies on the way out when they vote at the end of the month.
    1. The article just says "we have reached a consensus that will keep 12 schools together in the MIAC and that we will support St. Thomas's efforts to find a new conference home". Not sure that means a done deal yet. There is a consensus but no action.

2. Where have they said there will be a vote by the end of the month?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The larger point is that the leaked e-mails give the first point of view of the MIAC Presidents. As Pribbenow said, from the Presidents' point of view, this is about saving the conference - or as much of the conference as possible.

The choice is - kick out St. Thomas - or multiple schools leave the conference. from that point of view, you can understand why some of the Presidents may go along with the plan, even if they're not thrilled about it - because the alternative is worse.

As far as the timing - if the Presidents have the votes to change the by-laws and kick St. Thomas out, that might prompt St. Thomas to withdraw voluntarily - or at least give that perception. Try to work out a compromise and allow the parties to save as much face as possible given the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    The larger point is that the leaked e-mails give the first point of view of the MIAC Presidents. As Pribbenow said, from the Presidents' point of view, this is about saving the conference - or as much of the conference as possible.

The choice is - kick out St. Thomas - or multiple schools leave the conference. from that point of view, you can understand why some of the Presidents may go along with the plan, even if they're not thrilled about it - because the alternative is worse.

As far as the timing - if the Presidents have the votes to change the by-laws and kick St. Thomas out, that might prompt St. Thomas to withdraw voluntarily - or at least give that perception. Try to work out a compromise and allow the parties to save as much face as possible given the situation.
    Boy, If I was St Thomas I might resist as long as possible, see who leaves the conference, then decide what is best for St. Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    Boy, If I was St Thomas I might resist as long as possible, see who leaves the conference, then decide what is best for St. Thomas.
    Not sure hanging on and trashing your last conference is going to put St. Thomas in a good spot to go shopping for a new conference....

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Not sure hanging on and trashing your last conference is going to put St. Thomas in a good spot to go shopping for a new conference....
    They are getting trashed right now by their own conference who wants to boot them because they have become successful. I think other conferences would see things pretty clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by West Fargo Gopher Fan View Post
    1. The article just says "we have reached a consensus that will keep 12 schools together in the MIAC and that we will support St. Thomas's efforts to find a new conference home". Not sure that means a done deal yet. There is a consensus but no action.

2. Where have they said there will be a vote by the end of the month?
    Everything Pribbenow states is in the past tense. Very clear that they have the votes. The president's meeting is May 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    They are getting trashed right now by their own conference who wants to boot them because they have become successful. I think other conferences would see things pretty clearly.
    So I was like **** my last conference amirite!?!?!?

Anyway I want to join your conference...

Quote Originally Posted by AO54 View Post
    Everything Pribbenow states is in the past tense. Very clear that they have the votes. The president's meeting is May 29th.

He gone

Can’t possibly see how any logical, reasonable person will think it’s a bad thing for St Thomas to join the Northern Sun.

But I’m certain many will still slam their heads into a brick wall to spite their faces, in trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Can’t possibly see how any logical, reasonable person will think it’s a bad thing for St Thomas to join the Northern Sun.

But I’m certain many will still slam their heads into a brick wall to spite their faces, in trying.
    Tommies might cry if they get monkey stomped in basketball and football by MSU, UMD etl al in the early years before they can build up the scholarship base

Tommies would probably compete at a high level right away in almost all other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    So I was like **** my last conference amirite!?!?!?

Anyway I want to join your conference...
    Despite our best efforts to stay in the conference that has been our home for close to 100 years, and to maintain our most cherished rivalry, we came to the hard and painful decision to look for a new conference affiliation.

St. Thomas is trophy chasing at the DIII level it was time for them to go. It's not like this just happened the smaller MIAC schools have been tired of St. Thomas for at least 20 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw
    Rebuilding Michigan is like cleaning a house, rebuilding Minnesota is like building a house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy
    I also find the way he (Kill) relates to the recruits and their families quite impressive. This guy knows what he is doing and is very focused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Carter
    "If you don't shape up, you'll end up back home in Pompano Beach with nothing to do, just another former Florida high school star talking about how he could have played in the NFL." On Michael Carter

Quote Originally Posted by 4four4 View Post
    St. Thomas is trophy chasing at the DIII level it was time for them to go. It's not like this just happened the smaller MIAC schools have been tired of St. Thomas for at least 20 years.
    20 years? Hmm. What about St. John's...same could be said for it form Mich longer. Bethel is getting there as well.