Redeye Special: Way Too Early 2019-20 B1G Standings Projection

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I'm assuming the following key guys with remaining eligibility do not return to their B1G teams:

Tyler Cook (Iowa)
Carsen Edwards (Purdue)
Bruno Fernando (Maryland)
Romeo Langford (Indiana)
Nick Ward (Michigan State)

I'm assuming the following guys return, but "Ya' never know":

Iggy Brazdeikis (Michigan)
Amir Coffey (Minnesota)
Ayo Dosunmu (Illinois)
Isaiah Roby (Nebraska)
Jalen Smith (Maryland)
Lamar Stevens (Penn State)
Cassius Winston (Michigan State)

With that in mind, an early projection of the 2019-20 B1G standings, with top 3 returning scorers listed . ...

1 Michigan State (Winston, Tillman, Langford)
2 Ohio State (K. Wesson, A. Wesson, Muhammad)
3 Michigan (Iggy, Simpson, Poole)
4 Maryland (Cowan, Smith, Ayala)
5 Iowa (Garza, Bohannon, Wieskamp)
6 Purdue (Haarms, Eastern, Williams)
7 Illinois (Dosunmu, Frazier, Bezhanishvili)
8 Wisconsin (Trice, Davison, Reuvers)
9 Penn State (Stevens, Bolton, Watkins)
10 Minnesota (Coffey, Oturu, Kalscheur)
11 Rutgers (Omoruyi, Baker, Mathis)
12 Indiana (Green, Durham, Smith)
13 Nebraska (Roby, Thorbjarnarson)
14 Northwestern (Turner, Kopp, Nance)

Last edited:

I'm assuming the following key guys with remaining eligibility do no return to their B1G teams:

Tyler Cook (Iowa)
Carsen Edwards (Purdue)
Romeo Langford (Indiana)

Amir Coffey (Minnesota)
Ayo Dosunmu (Illinois)
Isaiah Roby (Nebraska)
Jalen Smith (Maryland)

With that in mind, an early projection of the 2019-20 B1G standings, with top 3 returning scorers listed . ...

I feel like #5-#10 are pretty interchangeable

I'm assuming the following key guys with remaining eligibility do no return to their B1G teams:

Tyler Cook (Iowa)
Carsen Edwards (Purdue)
Romeo Langford (Indiana)

Amir Coffey (Minnesota)
Ayo Dosunmu (Illinois)
Isaiah Roby (Nebraska)
Jalen Smith (Maryland)

Not a lot of respect for the Boilers. We all got burned by that this year. I think we saw in the tournament that they have some really good freshmen who didn't play a lot during the season. They will get better. I see them as Top 4, Hard to me seeing the Gophers not on Weakling Wednesday unless Coffey returns AND they add an impact transfer.

I feel like #5-#10 are pretty interchangeable

Agree with this, except I have a hard time seeing Wisconsin higher than 10. Without Happ, they don’t have anyone who can consistently beat their guy and make the D give other guys open looks.

Yes, but it could potentially be one game out of 6th, which probably would not be disappointing. Really fine lines with huge and balanced leagues.

Any kind of 10th place finish is complete trash even if it is one game out of 6th ! For me in year 7, 6th is not very good !

Any kind of 10th place finish is complete trash even if it is one game out of 6th ! For me in year 7, 6th is not very good !

I'm shocked you would respond that way. Just shocked. Is your tune changing?

Not a lot of respect for the Boilers. We all got burned by that this year. I think we saw in the tournament that they have some really good freshmen who didn't play a lot during the season. They will get better. I see them as Top 4, Hard to me seeing the Gophers not on Weakling Wednesday unless Coffey returns AND they add an impact transfer.

It is dangerous to undersell Painter & the Boilers. But man, no Edwards (or Cline) is a gargantuan hit to perimeter + clutch performers.

10th with Coffey? So without Coffey....? Ugh.

10th with Coffey? So without Coffey....? Ugh.

I don't think the Big Ten is getting any weaker next year. Though, unless The Mayor works miracles getting some transfers at Nebraska, the bottom two next season (Huskers, Northwestern) could be really, really bad, "NET" anchors. Gophers could be joining them if Coffey doesn't return, and Carr doesn't pan out as a lead Big Ten PG.

Last edited:

I think the 7 you listed as coming back is not going to happen. Maybe Robey. He is a bit too passive for the next level this year. Next year who knows.
It's fun to speculate but any list prior to to June 20th is going to be really off. Other recruiting signings, Grad transfers, defections will really alter the 1 through 14.
I see Kalschuer really making a huge jump this year. Love Oturu's Physical game, it will be interesting to see if he can make a jump without his bodyguard in the lineup. Coffey returning is huge for Minnesota I think.

I think the 7 you listed as coming back is not going to happen. Maybe Robey. He is a bit too passive for the next level this year. Next year who knows.
It's fun to speculate but any list prior to to June 20th is going to be really off. Other recruiting signings, Grad transfers, defections will really alter the 1 through 14.
I see Kalschuer really making a huge jump this year. Love Oturu's Physical game, it will be interesting to see if he can make a jump without his bodyguard in the lineup. Coffey returning is huge for Minnesota I think.

Those other 7 definitely important decisions. Penn State definitely sinks to Weakling Wednesday if Stevens leaves, and probably means the end of Chambers' tenure.

Really hard to say until we know more so I recognize that a lot of this could change, but I think Rutgers could do okay next year. They should return pretty much everyone and add a 4 star. Not that I think they will compete for a championship by any means, but I could see them finishing in the middle of the conference.

Assume this prediction of where the Gophers stacked up with the rest of the conference is accurate. Would mean another losing conference season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chambers has been recruiting better so who knows. Stevens is a beast, I think he will be a good pro. Agree that those 7 will really have an impact on the power of the conference. I think you will see a different Wisconsin offense this year. With the departure of Happ. the offense can get more movement and not stagnate when the ball goes into the post and never returns. Love Happ, but he has hindered the offense at Wisconsin in many ways. I think the returning cast will be better going back and playing the swing. Whether the team is the better for it. We'll see. So much time between now and the Fall. So many things can happen. The injury bug is one of those things that seems to always happen and you just can't account for it.

I'm assuming the following key guys with remaining eligibility do not return to their B1G teams:

Tyler Cook (Iowa)
Carsen Edwards (Purdue)
Romeo Langford (Indiana)

Amir Coffey (Minnesota)
Ayo Dosunmu (Illinois)
Isaiah Roby (Nebraska)
Jalen Smith (Maryland)

Good topic! Fun to think about. Obviously, so much can happen.

If Coffey returns, I am very optimistic about the Gophers finishing higher than 10th. A lot depends on how big of an impact Carr can have. If he is as good as advertised and we fill the PF spot we may actually have a better balanced, more depth and a better shooting club. I look for Oturu to become a star next year. Finally, I saw a trend towards better defense this past year and I think that is going to continue.

Oturu has a chance for a nice pop...after rehabbing last year...Gabe is more of a what you saw is what you get type...

Tyler Cook (Iowa)
Carsen Edwards (Purdue)
Romeo Langford (Indiana)

Amir Coffey (Minnesota)
Ayo Dosunmu (Illinois)
Isaiah Roby (Nebraska)
Jalen Smith (Maryland)

Interested to hear why you think Ward leaves. Don't believe he has an NBA game.

I do think that Coffey and Ayo might go. Doubt either has a brighter outlook if they return for a 2nd year.

Agree on most of the others.

Teske will be really good for Michigan, I still don't know if they have the shooters. Sparty should win but I put Purdue right behind them. Iowa might be 3rd best for talent, but Fran takes them down to about 5th, behind Maryland. OSU will depend on how good their freshman class performs, but I have them 6th.

7th through 11th are the same for me as you have though the exact order will largely be determined by the schedule. Each of these teams will likely be between 10-10 and 7-13, getting 2 or 3 easy road wins at NB, NW, and Indiana might be the difference. Any team missing out on those trips will finish at the lower end. Indiana is clear 12th. They will struggle but will be far better than the 2 bottom dwellers where they may go 3-17 each.

A basement finish for Indiana would almost certainly mean a third straight year with no tournament bid for Archie Miller, a sub .500 Big Ten record, and quite possibly a sub .500 overall record after three seasons (he's currently 35-31 overall and 17-21 in conference). I wonder how much more time he'd be allowed for a rebuild, for a coach that I think is highly regarded and was considered a great hire.

Interested to hear why you think Ward leaves. Don't believe he has an NBA game.

I do think that Coffey and Ayo might go. Doubt either has a brighter outlook if they return for a 2nd year.

Agree on most of the others.

Teske will be really good for Michigan, I still don't know if they have the shooters. Sparty should win but I put Purdue right behind them. Iowa might be 3rd best for talent, but Fran takes them down to about 5th, behind Maryland. OSU will depend on how good their freshman class performs, but I have them 6th.

7th through 11th are the same for me as you have though the exact order will largely be determined by the schedule. Each of these teams will likely be between 10-10 and 7-13, getting 2 or 3 easy road wins at NB, NW, and Indiana might be the difference. Any team missing out on those trips will finish at the lower end. Indiana is clear 12th. They will struggle but will be far better than the 2 bottom dwellers where they may go 3-17 each.

Yeah, Ward doesn't strike me as an NBA big man. At 6-8, he isn't big enough to play the 5 and isn't skilled or athletic enough to play the 4. He needs to lose some weight to at least look the part.

I list Ward because all indications from those who follow MSU are that he’s not coming back. Declaring and then eventually leaving has never meant a guy is necessarily ready. Both Ward and Coffey fall into that category. I don’t think either is close to being a NBA player at this point, but that doesn’t mean they’re coming back.

Ryan James has apparently hinted that a transfer big is on the way. Gotta think a quality transfer big would significantly move us up from 10. Last offseason was about point guard situation, this one about a Murphy replacement.

Ryan James has apparently hinted that a transfer big is on the way. Gotta think a quality transfer big would significantly move us up from 10. Last offseason was about point guard situation, this one about a Murphy replacement.

A transfer would likely have to sit out a year

Top Bottom