• not drafted at all

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • doesn't get drafted but plays G League or Europe

Votes: 26 16.9%
  • Plays for the Gophers next year

Votes: 59 38.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

as a gopher fan im torn.....part of me hopes he doesn't get invited to the combine and at which point he will decide to come back and not take the chances with the draft.....and another part of me hopes he gets invited to the combine and blows up and can work himself into the first round.

but ultimately I voted that he will be playing with the Gophers next year.

regardless I wish him all the best with whatever he decides to do.

I think he could possibly be a very late 2nd round guy. Hopefully that means the people helping him make his decision guide him to stay again because I think he could be a first round guy easily if he has a season like he played the last 5 games.

I say yes he would...just not in the first round. I see him as a developmental player not making a roster in the nba his first season probably in d league though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I’d say he would be picked in the 2nd round.

Late 2nd and spends time in the D-league. Although, would much rather have him back for next year! Need him!

Just from what I have read on multiple NBA mock drafts and scouting reports: No. I haven’t found one yet that projects him in even the second round. However, round two is such a crapshoot. Someone could grab him there.

Without him, the Gophers will be at the bottom or next to the bottom with NW.

Not sure if they still do this, but would the Wolves draft him late in the second round as a favor or publicity stunt? They did something similar for Rick Rickert, who I think at the time had better prospects for playing in the NBA than Amir does right now. I would see that as an absolute disaster.

Need to combine the 3rd and 5th options in the poll (not drafted, plays for the Gophers next year).

With the new rules, if he is drafted in the second round but doesn't sign can he still come back to college?

I think one more year as a Gopher could set him up for a high draft pick. Carr will be a big determinant in how he performs next year. If our bigs are good, we could set him up nicely for a very good NBA career.

Need to combine the 3rd and 5th options in the poll (not drafted, plays for the Gophers next year).

With the new rules, if he is drafted in the second round but doesn't sign can he still come back to college?

If he gets drafted he can't go back to school.

Not sure if they still do this, but would the Wolves draft him late in the second round as a favor or publicity stunt? They did something similar for Rick Rickert, who I think at the time had better prospects for playing in the NBA than Amir does right now. I would see that as an absolute disaster.

Not unless they trade back in the 2nd. They can still get a player that can work their way into the rotation in the front middle of the second round like KBD did this year

When you have overlapping options in a poll your data is going to be jacked.

My understanding is, no, not if he is drafted.

My understanding is, no, not if he is drafted.

My understanding. ...

If he is invited to the combine but is not drafted, he can come back (as long as not signed with an agent).

If he is not invited to the combine and doesn't pull out of the draft, he can not return either way.

Coff is not getting drafted in the first round. He has only a slight chance that he gets drafted in the 2nd round. No guaranteed contract for 2nd rounders. He'd be better served to return to college and play a full year at the 2 guard or small forward for a full year. I believe that his stock would rise with Carr in the lineup at the point. Next year he could possibly move into the first round and the benefit of the contract guarantee. Unless he has issues with school credits I just can't see him benefitting from this year's draft and then playing in the D-League or overseas. I sure hope for the best for him, but I selfishly want him in a Gopher uniform next year.

I agree. He would be the man next year and he could blow up to first round with a great year

the rummer is Coffee 22 in june, is not good enough, won't be drafted. But he will not come back to the Gophers. He can make up to $150,000 playing in the G league. The NBA values youth over college experience. Example is Keita Bates Diop, now 23, top player in Big Ten last year, went 48 in the 2nd round last year. Some believe that Cassius Winston of Michigan State won't get drafted this year. He will be 22 next season. The belief is, if basketball is your life goal, better go G league with the NBA, then return to college for last year.

Time will tell. Kevin heurter wasn’t getting drafted either but played well in Chicago and got drafted in 1st round. A lot can change before the draft.

the rummer is Coffee 22 in june, is not good enough, won't be drafted. But he will not come back to the Gophers. He can make up to $150,000 playing in the G league. The NBA values youth over college experience. Example is Keita Bates Diop, now 23, top player in Big Ten last year, went 48 in the 2nd round last year. Some believe that Cassius Winston of Michigan State won't get drafted this year. He will be 22 next season. The belief is, if basketball is your life goal, better go G league with the NBA, then return to college for last year.

His best move would be to finish his education.

Time will tell. Kevin heurter wasn’t getting drafted either but played well in Chicago and got drafted in 1st round. A lot can change before the draft.

I don't think you understand. Kevin Huerter is only 20 years old. Amir Coffee will be 22 in June. The NBA wants them in their hands, not at college. They value youth, not so much college experience. Do you remember Shabazz Muhammad, what a big deal was made that he was actually a year older than he was listed. The NBA is trying to use the G league like a farm system. His chances of advancing his position is greater with them then another year in college. This is the thinking, time will tell if Amir goes along with it.

Fun good college nothing in his game translates to NBA. He will be back.

I don't think you understand. Kevin Huerter is only 20 years old. Amir Coffee will be 22 in June. The NBA wants them in their hands, not at college. They value youth, not so much college experience. Do you remember Shabazz Muhammad, what a big deal was made that he was actually a year older than he was listed. The NBA is trying to use the G league like a farm system. His chances of advancing his position is greater with them then another year in college. This is the thinking, time will tell if Amir goes along with it.

100% correct, I mentioned this in another thread. NBA can develop shooting, ball handling much better than any college team.

Would love to see him get drafted but non of the mocks have him on the radar

The NBA wants players that will help bring a championship. They don't care what age the player is.
Now, they may only draft young, unproven players, but there are players that secure a team through shear will to play. Jimmy Butler is the prime example.
The NBA is all about showing them you will help them win. Getting drafted is just an icing on a cake. If Amir left, could he stick on an NBA roster, regardless of draft?

The NBA wants players that will help bring a championship. They don't care what age the player is.
Now, they may only draft young, unproven players, but there are players that secure a team through shear will to play. Jimmy Butler is the prime example.
The NBA is all about showing them you will help them win. Getting drafted is just an icing on a cake. If Amir left, could he stick on an NBA roster, regardless of draft?

But they indeed do care. They care enough that Sr.'s don't get drafted very often in the first round anymore.

But they indeed do care. They care enough that Sr.'s don't get drafted very often in the first round anymore.

Yeah, the NBA is the only league where I've seen most draft profiles on players list their age as ## years ### days, or ##.## years old. They care more about age than Little League.

Top Bottom